so confused, i1 display pro oem, retail, display 3? aren't they all the same? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #61 of 83 Old 09-21-2015, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knd View Post
Is there a list of displays that this will improve? How significant of an improvement is there?
Anything that flickers, i.e. a CRT, Plasma, LCD with PWM backlight, DLP projector.

(I don't know if any of the OLED's flicker or not).

It improves the consistency of the readings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 83 Old 09-21-2015, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 4371 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgill View Post
Anything that flickers, i.e. a CRT, Plasma, LCD with PWM backlight, DLP projector.
HCFR (using Argyll drivers) lists the generic "Non-Refresh display" and "Refresh display" alongside with the more specific types ("CRT", "LCD White LED IPS" etc.) When would I select the generic types? Only when there's no specific type that matches?
post #63 of 83 Old 09-21-2015, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
HCFR (using Argyll drivers) lists the generic "Non-Refresh display" and "Refresh display" alongside with the more specific types ("CRT", "LCD White LED IPS" etc.) When would I select the generic types? Only when there's no specific type that matches?
As a default.

As a baseline reference.

When creating correction matrices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 83 Old 09-21-2015, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgill View Post
When creating correction matrices.
I thought each specific type of display would require its own correction matrix? When would a "generic" matrix be used (essentially back to my previous question).
post #65 of 83 Old 09-21-2015, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought each specific type of display would require its own correction matrix?
Ideally, yes.
Quote:
When would a "generic" matrix be used (essentially back to my previous question).
When measuring the test patch values for creating a correction matrix, and then
as a base for applying the matrix corrections to.
post #66 of 83 Old 09-21-2015, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
The retail box says i1 | DISPLAY PRO followed by III (see attached picture). However, I was not able to find any reference to "i1 Diplay Pro III" when googling for it (other than at the Chroma Pure website).
Well, the part number is XRCE-I1D3+OEM (OEM) and EODIS3 (retail).

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #67 of 83 Old 09-08-2016, 12:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Confusing i1D3 version....

So the best bet is to get the OEM ver B from Light Space to work with most free software (HCFR, LightSpace DPS) and making sure it will be compatible with any calibration software when ready to purchase full version of the software?

I have seen my calibrator using Calman and have been testing using HCFR myself with my Spyder5, and wanted to try LightSpace, just to make sure I can use the i1D3 with any software that I would be investing in future

To be or NOT to be......YOU are WHO you ARE
post #68 of 83 Old 09-08-2016, 01:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked: 3546
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyw View Post
Confusing i1D3 version....

So the best bet is to get the OEM ver B from Light Space to work with most free software (HCFR, LightSpace DPS) and making sure it will be compatible with any calibration software when ready to purchase full version of the software?

I have seen my calibrator using Calman and have been testing using HCFR myself with my Spyder5, and wanted to try LightSpace, just to make sure I can use the i1D3 with any software that I would be investing in future
Hi, the Rev.B has updated hardware/firmware that supports a new refresh rate detection and synchronization (AIO).

The new AIO (All in One) measurement mode for the i1Display Pro can improve the measurement stability for certain displays.

According to feedback I have from a Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk user which is using LightSpace HTL + i1DisplayPRO Rev.B + KURO + eeColor and he has performed a lot of testing using LightSpace's 'Measure and log' where it exports in excel (CVS) file format the xyY and the measuring times per each read in milliseconds, for us to find by comparing the data's which mode and integration time settings is giving him better repeatability while it has faster measuring speed (Test Procedure Link)....we found by comparing the data's between AIO vs. Burst Mode (Rev. A using Burst mode for Plasma) from i1DisplayPRO Rev.B Meter that that new AIO mode is about 30-50% faster from Burst Mode of Rev. A from the data I have.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #69 of 83 Old 09-08-2016, 02:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

As for LightSpace, it can work with Retail i1Display PRO Retail (Rev. A or Rev. B), contact me for more details.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #70 of 83 Old 01-05-2017, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I currently have a Color Munki Display that I have calibrated my PC monitor with. I know software support is limited, is it even worth/possible to calibrate my Samsung JS8500 or will I defiantly need an i1display pro.

I am using Kodi on an Intel Apollo Lake box to play content and also Netflix/Hulu on the TV apps.

Samsung JS8500 65in
Pioneer VSX-53
Mains: Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE
Center: Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE
Surrounds: Ascend Acoustics HTM-200 SE
Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #71 of 83 Old 01-05-2017, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 53
HCFR will work with the Color Munki.

LG OLED65B6P TV, Marantz SR7012 AV receiver, Sony UBP-X700 Player, Klipsch F-30 speaker system
post #72 of 83 Old 01-05-2017, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschlic1 View Post
HCFR will work with the Color Munki.
That is what I used to calibrate the monitor, but would this be sufficient enough for TV calibration? I am not a critical watcher, just want a decent calibration for TV and movies. I was originally thinking Calman would be the best option, but the Color Munki does not support it.

Samsung JS8500 65in
Pioneer VSX-53
Mains: Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE
Center: Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE
Surrounds: Ascend Acoustics HTM-200 SE
Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #73 of 83 Old 01-05-2017, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidflex View Post
That is what I used to calibrate the monitor, but would this be sufficient enough for TV calibration? I am not a critical watcher, just want a decent calibration for TV and movies. I was originally thinking Calman would be the best option, but the Color Munki does not support it.
ColorMunki Display can work with LightSpace also, contact me for more details.

post #74 of 83 Old 01-05-2017, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
HCFR is intended for calibrating TVs. For monitor calibration, DisplayCAL would be a better choice, as it will create icc profiles for the monitor.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 01-05-2017 at 04:36 PM.
post #75 of 83 Old 01-11-2017, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
It will be fine since you already have it give it a go, I used colornunki for the last year with hcfr worked great, decided to upgrade only because display pro was on sale
post #76 of 83 Old 05-30-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
As for LightSpace, it can work with Retail i1Display PRO Retail (Rev. A or Rev. B), contact me for more details.
I know this is dated but my head is spinning with confusion. I have read over and over that Display PRO Retail (Rev. A or Rev. B) are not supported in LightSpace. I have also read that the retail version supports up to 1000 nits but the OEM version supports up to 2000 nits. So which one to buy. I am going the used route so it may take a while to get an OEM version. Does the OEM version support 2000 nits for HDR displays out of the box or does it require firmware update or something? If so, is it easy to get the firmware/software update?

Regarding Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk (Paid download version), do I need to burn that to BD disk or does it come with MKV file format as well? Thanks
post #77 of 83 Old 05-30-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post
I know this is dated but my head is spinning with confusion. I have read over and over that Display PRO Retail (Rev. A or Rev. B) are not supported in LightSpace. I have also read that the retail version supports up to 1000 nits but the OEM version supports up to 2000 nits. So which one to buy. I am going the used route so it may take a while to get an OEM version. Does the OEM version support 2000 nits for HDR displays out of the box or does it require firmware update or something? If so, is it easy to get the firmware/software update?
Only OEM Rev B officially support 2000 nits. However, there are (unconfirmed) reports that those are not as sensitive in the low end.

Quote:
Regarding Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk (Paid download version), do I need to burn that to BD disk or does it come with MKV file format as well? Thanks
The disc image and media files are separate purchases.
Alex solomon likes this.
post #78 of 83 Old 05-30-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Only OEM Rev B officially support 2000 nits. However, there are (unconfirmed) reports that those are not as sensitive in the low end.

The disc image and media files are separate purchases.
Thanks Dominic. If I order one directly from X-Rite today, it is certain I will get OEM Rev B. I would assume OEM Rev A are not produced or sold by X-Rite anymore?
post #79 of 83 Old 05-30-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post
Thanks Dominic. If I order one directly from X-Rite today, it is certain I will get OEM Rev B. I would assume OEM Rev A are not produced or sold by X-Rite anymore?
I don’t think you can order OEM directly from x-rite. Try this
https://www.displaycalibrations.com/...ons_order.html

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 05-30-2019 at 11:12 AM.
post #80 of 83 Old 05-30-2019, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
Quote:
I don’t think you can order OEM directly from x-rite. Try this
https://www.displaycalibrations.com/...ons_order.html
I ordered an OEM meter from Light Illusion last year, and it was drop-shipped direct to me from X-Rite. I suspect the same thing will happen here.
Alex solomon likes this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #81 of 83 Old 05-30-2019, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 1050
We have run many tests with all version of the i1D3 we have been able to get access to, including manufacturer specific versions, such as NEC, Spectracal C6, etc, and Retail versions, as well as RevA and RevB varients...

We have never been able to ascertain any difference in low-light capabilities, other than expected unit-to-unit variations.

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #82 of 83 Old 05-31-2019, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Illusion View Post
We have run many tests with all version of the i1D3 we have been able to get access to, including manufacturer specific versions, such as NEC, Spectracal C6, etc, and Retail versions, as well as RevA and RevB varients...

We have never been able to ascertain any difference in low-light capabilities, other than expected unit-to-unit variations.

Steve
Do you have some quantitative data you can share? Specifically, what is the lowest usable reading one can get from the Rev B i1D3?
post #83 of 83 Old 05-31-2019, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 1050
What we found is the display technology was a key part in defining the low-light capabilities, combined with the Sync Mode used.
For different displays, Frequency or Period provided better results, especially when combined with Intelligent Integration.

Interestingly, we did find differences with internal EDR settings vs. using the Generic CMF, with a Spectro offset with the LightSpace.
The Generic CMF with Spectro offset seemed to offer more sensitivity, but the differences were difficult to verify.

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page