Does anybody know what these service menu options do? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Glenee

post #1 of 12 Old 03-06-2015, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Does anybody know what these service menu options do?

I bought a 40" Element ELEFW408 for dirt cheap to use as a computer monitor for web browsing and the occasional game/movie (my projector is for the heavy gaming sessions/movie watching). Unfortunately this TV has a heavy bias towards making all but pure reds look more like magenta-red (you get what you pay for, right?).

Disappointed with the picture adjustment settings available -- Color, Tint, Sharpness, Brightness, Contrast, and Color Temperature, and only Contrast, Brightness, and Color Temp can be changed when the TV detects a PC input -- I decided to dive into the service menu to see if I couldn't find some hidden settings that would help make this display a bit more palatable to the eyes (hit Menu on the remote, then type 0000):

Here is the first screen. Everything highlighted in green are menus I've entered. Yellow are menus I haven't entered but have a good idea of what's in them. Reds are what I'm completely clueless about and am too scared to enter without further advice from the community, hence this thread. Greens are menus I've entered and will go over in this thread. The first option was supposed to be highlighted yellow, but I forgot and am too lazy to edit the pic.

This is where the "Others" option takes you, and right away my pupils widened. What's this? More color adjustment settings? Couldn't be! Let's dig deeper to see what we can find. First let's try the promising "Color Temp" option...

Holy ****! Success! Here is the menu that lets you set the default color values for the three color temperature options available in the user menu (Cool, Normal, Warm). Unfortunately my excitement was short lived as I noticed that while the classic Gain and Offset adjustments are available, the one setting I needed the most in order to get rid of that magenta glow -- Hue -- is missing. Still, even with these options alone I was able to get closer to a more natural picture after playing with these settings for awhile (I have to eyeball everything with test patterns on Lagom.nl since I can't afford fancy calibration gear). I hit "Save to EEPROM" numerous times after trying one adjustment then moving to the other, which I hope isn't damaging anything! (It isn't, right?) Let's keep digging further to see what else we can find...

The "Video Quality" and "Sound Quality" menus were pretty boring -- Just a place to change the default settings for each picture and sound mode (Vivid/Standard/Movie/etc. - Music/Movie/Flat/etc.) -- so I skipped on taking pics of them as they have the exact same options as the user menu. But curiously enough, the "Video Quality" menu lets me adjust the settings that are greyed-out when using a PC input, except Tint. I still left them as default, as the ability to adjust "Color" isn't very useful when dealing with PC inputs, especially since I have the more accurate Gain & Offset dials to play with now. Sharpness was already at where it needed to be as well judging by this test pattern. Moving on to "Curve Setting"...

That opens this submenu. Let's try "Video Curve Setting" first:

Well this is where I get a little lost. The highlighted option "Curve Setting" scrolls through all the user menu picture adjustment settings, even the ones that are greyed-out when using a PC input. I'm guessing that this controls the strength curve of the user settings i.e. when Contrast is set to 0 in the user menu it's actual value is 80. (OSD_0 = 80). Makes sense to me. I bet I could play with the Color curve to get rid of what's left of that magenta hue, but I've decided to leave these settings alone just in case my theory's wrong.

And here's the Sound Curve menu. Seems to be the same concept, except for audio. If I'm not using headphones I'm using my 7.1 setup, so none of these settings are useful. Next!

Alright so next on the list is "OverScan". I'm already getting a 1:1 pixel ratio out of this TV, so no need to even risk going into this menu and screwing things up. Still, my curiosity is starting to get the best of me. MUST. RESIST. URGE. TO. ENTER. MENU.

Next is "Aging Mode" and "Other Setting". The latter we'll come back to in a second, but first let's talk about "Aging Mode". This option is the reason why I'm scared of entering other screens without consulting you guys first. Every option in this menu looks like it'll take you into a submenu, right? That's not the case with "Aging Mode". The second you hit it, the screen goes immediately blank then starts cycling through Red, Green, Blue, Black, and White. Apparently this menu is for breaking in the TV before you do your calibrations. Might be useful for fixing stuck pixels/image retention as well. What scared me so much is that there seemed to be no way to exit this mode. After trying every single button on the remote and bezel I eventually took a deep breath and hit the power button. Thankfully the TV went back to normal after powering back on.

Next on the list of menus I've explored is "Audio Setting". This is all gibberish to me so I don't mess with it. But part of me still wants to know what this is all about. But for now, let's move on to the grand finale, the "Other Setting" screen:

More Gibberish! "TI MODE"? "SSC Settings"? What is all this nonsense? But wait, among the nonsense what have we found? A BACKLIGHT SETTING!?!?!? What's this doing here??? Why isn't it in the user menu? This bastard was cranked to 100%! While it looked absolutely stunning in the store (especially for a $250 TV), 100% backlight brightness is absolute insanity at home. I set it to a more reasonable 40% for daytime viewing, and 10% at night. I just don't understand why it's buried deep in the service menu instead of hanging out with the other user picture settings. Was it a beta feature that wasn't ready for release in time to ship? It seems to work just normally, but I can't help but wonder if I'm harming my TV every time I adjust it (twice a day). The fact that I don't have to "Save to EEPROM" every time I adjust it does make me feel a bit better about playing with it, but still...

So to tl;dr everything up: Gain/Offset and Backlight are the only settings in the service menu I'm comfortable enough with to mess with. The following settings are a complete mystery however, and I'd love to hear everybody's input on what they could possibly do:

ADC Adjust
Init EEPROM
Factory Channel
Burning Mode
Others > ADC Setting
Others > Shipment
Others > Other Setting > Power ON Mode
Others > Other Setting > TI MODE
Others > Other Setting > SWAP MODE
Others > Other Setting > Uart Mode
Others > Other Setting > SSC Setting
Others > Other Setting > Key Debug
Others > Other Setting > Factory IR Mode
Others > Other Setting > Mirror Control
Others > Other Setting > Rest PreChannel

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Oh and mods, I couldn't decide if this thread should go in Display Calibration or LCD Flat Panel Displays. Feel free to move it where it fits best.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-10-2015, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Cool! Happy to see this. I have an Element 55" 4K (ELUFT55) TV and it's REALLY loud, so I'm really tempted to play with the Audio Curve options. But maybe later when I have a better plan to replace the audio in case I fubar it. (They look identical to yours).

The Audio Settings with the MSB options, I stepped up and down in Volume and it did change my volume, and the MSB/LSB values changed. I did not see a correlation of, say, a lower value would made sense as a lower value, or higher higher, across a range of 10 values. It included hex values. I changed the Prescale and I think the AVC level and didn't perceive any changes.

Otherwise, my TI MODE value is 1, my SWAP MODE is On.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-12-2015, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0yb0y View Post
TI MODE value is 1, my SWAP MODE is On.
Interesting. I accidentally changed TI MODE from 5 to 6 the other day and it screwed up all the colors on the screen and added some fringing around edges not unlike a poorly compressed jpeg. It freaked me out and I immediately changed it back to 5 and everything went back to normal with no apparent damage done. The fact that your SWAP MODE is on makes me really want to toggle it now to see what changes happen. I'm still scared ****less, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-12-2015, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3237 Post(s)
Liked: 2296
Word of warning. Messing around in the Service Menu is the quickest way to brick your tv if you don't know EXACTLY what you are doing. If you mess something up, there is no factory reset for the Service Menu like there is for the tv in user mode. Write down the settings you encounter before you attempt to change anything. If something goes wrong, and you are able to get back to that portion of the SM, you may be able to switch it back and be ok. No guarantees though. Some settings, once changed, can only be fixed by a service engineer (hence the term Service Menu). And keep in mind that SM settings may change from model to model and even firmware version (or board build versions) within the same model.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-12-2015, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 323
DITTO on the Warning.
I have been telling people on here for years, unless you have a Service Manual and Know what your Doing, don't be in there. There are Professional Repair shops that won't go into a Service Menu without Manual.
If you do decide to mess around in there please note or write down anything you change. This will give you a chance (but No Guarantee) that you can at least get back to where you were.
Please Be Carefull.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee
post #6 of 12 Old 03-12-2015, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I get that, guys, hence why I started this thread. I don't touch any setting unless I know what it does (with the exception of accidentally changing SWAP MODE). Worse case scenario I can just return the TV to Walmart, or simply buy another set since it's so cheap.

So with that being said, can you guys answer my questions or are you just here to babysit? I tried googling the model number + service manual but couldn't find any results. Does anybody know where I can get one for this particular TV?
post #7 of 12 Old 03-12-2015, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 3237 Post(s)
Liked: 2296
Babysit? Really? If you want to get a definitive and possibly accurate explanation of what those settings do you need to get a hold of the Service Repair Manual (specific for that model and build), which is probably only available to an Authorized Repair Technician.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-12-2015, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Call 1-888-338-5666 ask them where to purchase a service manual for your display.
Then get in there and start punchin and a clicken.

I am sorry, I do not know what all those submenu's activate they will be different for all displays.
Even the language will not be the same. Some times things are called the same thing and mean totally different thing from one model to the next even with the same manufacture.
Sorry I couldn't Help you, but it sounds like you are just about to Help yourself.
There is a member here who I know will be able to help you. His member name is Harlekin and he knows a lot about everything.
I am sure he will be able to advise you.
Gregg Loewen and Psythik like this.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee

Last edited by Glenee; 03-12-2015 at 06:05 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-12-2015, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Will do, thanks for the help.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-16-2018, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Send a message via Yahoo to OnePCWhiz
I have a 65inch Element (ELESF651) and all the HDMI's stopped working a few months ago.

After t-shooting with Element "tech support" they suggested I get the main board replaced.

I have done this and now the display is upside down.

Shopjimmy.com sent me a second board but it does the same thing.

They actually wanted to send me yet a third main board, but I couldn't see it happening twice just the same way due to a faulty board.

The only way I have found to fix this is to get into the Service Menu and turn on Mirror Control (under Other Setting).

Once I do this, the picture displays correctly.

However, I haven't found a way to save it and every time I turn off the TV and back on, it's upside down again and I have to change this.

This is an annoyance, but I can live with it if I have to.

I'm leery about digging around too much more and trying to Save to EEPROM.

I've had my TV 2 years or so and I'd like to keep it a while longer before replacing it.

Thanks for listening!
post #11 of 12 Old 11-02-2018, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
save service menu settings

does anyone know how to save settings? i had to change panel type in my element elefw605 but nothing will save these settings?
please help
post #12 of 12 Old 07-01-2019, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaibuch View Post
does anyone know how to save settings? i had to change panel type in my element elefw605 but nothing will save these settings?
please help
I too am curious about this. Having to go into the service menu and reduce the overscan settings every time I use it is getting infuriating and I'm actually looking to replace the TV if I can't find some sort of permanent solution to this. Anyone know how to save these options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page