Calman MobileForge for External Displays- Can it really be? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 53Likes

post #31 of 215 Old 06-27-2015, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by csy View Post
The ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T inbuilt HDMI output does not appear to be accurate with MobileForge.

Greyscale luminance levels step-up but are capped around 30% luminance (higher greyscale percentages display 30% luminance)

I'm not sure if these devices should be able to present ColorChecker colours, but I'm seeing most colours having off the scale errors and some colours presented as white.
Make sure you have the latest version of MobileForge and the latest version of CalMAN. I believe 5.4 had a bug with the expand to pc levels checkbox that may be causing that issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 215 Old 06-28-2015, 12:41 AM
csy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post
Make sure you have the latest version of MobileForge and the latest version of CalMAN. I believe 5.4 had a bug with the expand to pc levels checkbox that may be causing that issue.
Thanks Joel, you hit the nail on the head. I am running 5.4.2 and did accidentally have expand to PC levels enabled. I disabled it and now working correctly. I will upgrade CalMAN to get the latest updates.
post #33 of 215 Old 06-28-2015, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 302
I'm seeing pretty different readings using autoforge vs AVS disc. The FtL reading is off by 2FtL. I am using an oppo 103D and an iPhone 6plus. Both go to a switch and to the PJ, neither go through an AVR. The meter was not moved nor any settings changed between these readings.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	precal_autoforge.png
Views:	339
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	801034   Click image for larger version

Name:	precal_AVSDisc.png
Views:	326
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	801042  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 215 Old 06-28-2015, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 1759
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
I'm seeing pretty different readings using autoforge vs AVS disc. The FtL reading is off by 2FtL. I am using an oppo 103D and an iPhone 6plus. Both go to a switch and to the PJ, neither go through an AVR. The meter was not moved nor any settings changed between these readings.

Any ideas?

Do you have "expand to PC Levels" checkbox checked?

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #35 of 215 Old 06-28-2015, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
Do you have "expand to PC Levels" checkbox checked?
No. Video levels.
post #36 of 215 Old 06-28-2015, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No. Video levels.
The output gets compressed, so you need to check that if you're running video levels via the output device.

Also it could be an APL difference if you're on a plasma or display similarly affected by pattern size.
post #37 of 215 Old 06-28-2015, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The output gets compressed, so you need to check that if you're running video levels via the output device.

Also it could be an APL difference if you're on a plasma or display similarly affected by pattern size.
It's a lcos projector. How would I check or correct that on an iPhone?

I can try my iPad 4. But it seems limited to 720p output. Probably doesn't matter in this case.
post #38 of 215 Old 06-28-2015, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's a lcos projector. How would I check or correct that on an iPhone?

I can try my iPad 4. But it seems limited to 720p output. Probably doesn't matter in this case.
iPhone or iPad would behave similarly. Any projector are going to have some issues with reflected light based on the room with different APLs, but probably not to that extent.

The checkbox is in the source settings tab, just crack that center tab open with MediaForge connected and click the check box. We'll probably make this default in the next release.
post #39 of 215 Old 06-28-2015, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
iPhone or iPad would behave similarly. Any projector are going to have some issues with reflected light based on the room with different APLs, but probably not to that extent.

The checkbox is in the source settings tab, just crack that center tab open with MediaForge connected and click the check box. We'll probably make this default in the next release.
Which checkbox?
post #40 of 215 Old 06-28-2015, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Which checkbox?
"Expand Video To PC Levels"

so when calman sends 16 to the phone, it renders it as 0 so then the phone sends 0 to the HDMI adapter it gets compressed back to 16.

It's a bit convoluted, but it works extremely well.
post #41 of 215 Old 06-28-2015, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
"Expand Video To PC Levels"

so when calman sends 16 to the phone, it renders it as 0 so then the phone sends 0 to the HDMI adapter it gets compressed back to 16.

It's a bit convoluted, but it works extremely well.
Definitely using video levels
post #42 of 215 Old 06-28-2015, 11:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Definitely using video levels
So in order to actually get video levels to the display the above mentioned check box is required.
post #43 of 215 Old 06-28-2015, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So in order to actually get video levels to the display the above mentioned check box is required.
Ok so the description is kind of backwards? You need to check expand to pc levels to get video levels out of the hdmi adapter?

Last edited by curlyjive; 06-28-2015 at 11:12 PM.
post #44 of 215 Old 06-29-2015, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked: 1346
Quote:
Ok so the description is kind of backwards? You need to check expand to pc levels to get video levels out of the hdmi adapter?
no it's not backwards, it's just that the iphone or whatever portable device that mobileforge is driving works in pc levels. That device then converts to video levels when it pipes the pattern through HDMI.
post #45 of 215 Old 06-29-2015, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
no it's not backwards, it's just that the iphone or whatever portable device that mobileforge is driving works in pc levels. That device then converts to video levels when it pipes the pattern through HDMI.
What I am getting at is you need the check off "use pc levels" to get video levels from the hdmi output of a mobile device. To me the wording is confusing, unless I am not understanding.
post #46 of 215 Old 06-29-2015, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What I am getting at is you need the check off "use pc levels" to get video levels from the hdmi output of a mobile device. To me the wording is confusing, unless I am not understanding.
If you are using MobileForge to generate patterns for your TV/Projector, you want CalMAN in video levels 16-235, then in the MobileForge tab (Middle Tab at the top of CalMAN) the "Expand to PC Levels" box needs to be checked.

The only time you want to put CalMAN in PC Levels when using MobileForge, is when you are measuring the display on the Phone/Tablet itself.

post #47 of 215 Old 06-29-2015, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you are using MobileForge to generate patterns for your TV/Projector, you want CalMAN in video levels 16-235, then in the MobileForge tab (Middle Tab at the top of CalMAN) the "Expand to PC Levels" box needs to be checked.

The only time you want to put CalMAN in PC Levels when using MobileForge, is when you are measuring the display on the Phone/Tablet itself.

Yes I always use Calman set to video levels, what i didn't know is i needed to set mobileforge to pc levels. thats the part that seems counterintuitive.

If i have it correct, the mobile device will not render 0 as 16 from the HDMI output unless "Expand to PC levels" is checked. Do I have it right?

To me, the language would be clearer if mobileforge just said video or PC levels and provided a checkbox for whether you are using the mobile device display or an external display so it would map 0-255 for mobile device screens and 16-235 for external displays.
post #48 of 215 Old 06-29-2015, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If i have it correct, the mobile device will not render 0 as 16 from the HDMI output unless "Expand to PC levels" is checked. Do I have it right?
The mobile device output will always render bit 0 as bit 16.

The issue is that CalMAN asks for bit level 16 for 0%, therefor you get bit level 30 to your display, unless we "expand" the levels to PC range.

Quote:
To me, the language would be clearer if mobileforge just said video or PC levels and provided a checkbox for whether you are using the mobile device display or an external display so it would map 0-255 for mobile device screens and 16-235 for external displays.
In the next release it'll be defaulted to on. So it won't require pre-knowledge of how this works.
post #49 of 215 Old 06-29-2015, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The mobile device output will always render bit 0 as bit 16.

The issue is that CalMAN asks for bit level 16 for 0%, therefor you get bit level 30 to your display, unless we "expand" the levels to PC range.

In the next release it'll be defaulted to on. So it won't require pre-knowledge of how this works.
Ok so it is what Calman is calling for as a pattern that causes the issue since it compress the output and needs to be expanded to be correct? I did re-read the mobileforge direction sheet and I guess my mind read what it wanted to...set video levels for video levels on an external display. When I re-read it I see it does say to check of "expand to video levels" when using an external display.

Just so I am clear on the settings:

If I have calman set to use video levels, and I set mobileforge to "expand to PC levels", the HDMI output from the mobile device should map correct at 16-235.

Sound right?

I'll recheck against a disc in the next few days.
post #50 of 215 Old 06-29-2015, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If I have calman set to use video levels, and I set mobileforge to "expand to PC levels", the HDMI output from the mobile device should map correct at 16-235.

Sound right?
Yes that is correct.
post #51 of 215 Old 06-29-2015, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1708 Post(s)
Liked: 735
sotti,

I'm a little confused about using the google chromecast device.

When using chromecast, do you still need to use either an android or iOS mobile device or can you go directly from Calman to chromecast?
post #52 of 215 Old 06-29-2015, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
sotti,

I'm a little confused about using the google chromecast device.

When using chromecast, do you still need to use either an android or iOS mobile device or can you go directly from Calman to chromecast?
MobileForge is first and foremost a pattern generator for Android and iOS designed to work on those devices.

Android and android only can mirror to chromecast provided you have the correct version of OS and application software installed.

For iOS you can either use the apple HDMI adapter or airplay to an apple TV to mirror the output.
post #53 of 215 Old 07-03-2015, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I've done a couple of calibrations using MF through my AppleTV. In a word, wow! No more switching tracks on a disc to get the right window patterns. The sync between the app and software on the computer is seamless. What a time saver. Very pleased with the results. Great job SpectraCal!
sotti likes this.

LG 55EG9100 OLED Darbee DVP-5000S eeColor 3D Lut box
Denon X3300W 5.2.2 PSB/M&K speakers Oppo BDP-103
Samsung 55HU8550 THO2/SEK-3500U
Sonos 5.1 Playbase/sub/surrounds
CalMAN Home Enthusiast/i1display pro oem/Videoforge HDMI-2 TPG
post #54 of 215 Old 08-07-2015, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I had a chance today to experiment with MF. I love the interface & ease of use. I (Auto) calibrated my Panny 65ZT60 for grey scale and worked great! (Calman 5 & latest update w C6 meter, iPhone 5 w latest iOS & Lightning to HDMI adaptor) However, when I got to autocal the CMS system Cyan was extremely tinted Green and Yellow was extreamly tinted Red! (To the point that the Hue controls in CMS were maxed out for Cyan and Yellow and still not enough range to get them in spec!) I reverted back to my AVSHD disc for CMS and everything fell into place (The CMS controls were all toward their middle ranges).

So what's up with Cyan and Yellow with the MF app? (Or am I missing something, very possible )

Thanks, Bob...
post #55 of 215 Old 08-11-2015, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I also saw the same Cyan and Yellow issue using the Android version of MF. Verified against the AVS disk as well and all went back to normal.
post #56 of 215 Old 08-12-2015, 01:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 2901 Post(s)
Liked: 3490
Blu-Ray Players/Media Players, each model (or sometimes a different firmware version) of any brand has different output, each brand Pattern Generators have different output also, and Tom Huffman has examined at past 3 different pattern generators that is showing that there measurable difference between them. Imagine that there differences between reference pattern generator which designed to be accurate.....

From consumer level devices with realistic budget that any any enthusiast can buy, you need a DVDO with ColorChecker Function to examine a Player RGB Triplets to find if it's accurate or not....before that device release it was only possible by very expensive Quantum Data HDMI Analyser or a Waveform Monitors only.

Noone can know if every single consumer blu-ray/media player (count also the so many different firmware versions of each player around the world) that is available in consumer market has accurate output, unless it's measured.

Calibrating using a Mobile Phone or an external reference pattern generator makes no sense if later your player will add color errors. It just saves time from using a calibration disk.

Tom Huffman at past has performed such a test by comparing the outputs of some reference pattern generators which there were build/designed to have reference output but he found Grayscale 0.8dE differencies between Accupel (1.500$) vs. Quantum Data 804A (6.000$)...... So what is reference? The 100$ Consumer bluray player? or the 100$ SmartPhone?

If reference pattern generators does not give the exact same output at this price range, anyone can imagine the tolerance of performance that consumer levels devices may have.

If by comparing reference pattern generators there differences at their output, imagine how larger are the differences in consumer (100-1000$) range bluray players........

Quick Summary Results From Tom's Testing:

Using the AccuPel as the reference, Tom found the following (all dE values are in CIE94 units):

Lumagen Mini
Ave. grayscale difference: 0.8
Ave. gamma difference: 0.04
Ave. color difference: 0.7

Quantum Data 804a
Ave. grayscale difference: 0.8
Ave. gamma difference: 0.03
Ave. color difference: 0.5

Samsung Blu-ray
Ave. grayscale difference: 0.7
Ave. gamma difference: 0.01
Ave. color difference: n/a

Toms Test Link

SpectraCAL posted that they have verified with waveform monitor a lot of mobile phones and found that are all accurate when MediaForge released:

''I personally did a lot of the HDMI/AirPlay/Chromecast output testing for MobileForge. We used a Quantum Data HDMI analyzer, as well as a Tektronix HDMI waveform monitor. MobileForge is bit accurate on all the Android/IOS phones/tablets HDMI outputs and via Chromecast/appleTV screen mirroring on devices we have tested.'' Tyler Pruitt - Technical Liaison @ SpectraCAL

After that Zoyd performed a quick test and found that there rounding errors... something SpectraCAL didn't mentioned...

''I ran a quick test comparing the apple TV screen mirrored output via an iPhone to the DVDO-TPG, both set to YCC output. Operation was smooth and the aspect ratio, APL levels, and video levels were all correct although there were some rounding errors. So this is a viable alternative if you don't need a bit perfect RGB triplet generator.'' Zoyd

After some weeks, users started to report large errors and SpectraCAL came back and posted that there problems in mixed RGB Triplet generation of patterns (patches required for Gamut calibration) and that there no problems with Grayscale patterns:

''We’ve been disappointed to find out that some combinations of devices, adapters, and configurations don’t deliver what we consider acceptable results. We’re working with manufacturers now to resolve. In the meantime: Grayscale results will always be essentially bit-perfect. Color Gamut results might depend on how your manufacturer implemented Screen Mirroring or HDMI output.'' Tyler Pruitt - Technical Liaison @ SpectraCAL

So all these users which have tried to calibrate with new way of pattern generation 'for all' realized that they have just lost their free time.

Calibrating using a Calibration Disk you playback from the exact Blu-Ray/Media Player you will use later to watch your movies is still most accurate way of calibrating a consumer setup, calibrating and correcting errors to the whole video chain.

Here is an another example of comparing a Reference Pattern Generator - Quantum Data 780 (6.000$) with our 'Reference Blu-Ray Players' OPPO BDP-105 & BDP-103

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 08-12-2015 at 04:54 AM.
post #57 of 215 Old 08-12-2015, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ok, so what devices do deliver the most correct greyscale and cms?

I got a ipad air 2 iOS9 and AppleTV 3rd gen.

Is that a correct showing? Or should I purches the HDMI adapter insted?

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

SpectraCal CalMan 5.5.2 Enthusiast @ Windows 10
i1Display Pro
MobileForge @ Amazon Fire TV stick & AppleTV 3
DVE Bluray / AVSHD709 / Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk
Samsung UE48H6275 (XXE) European model)
Playstation 4 / AppleTV 3 / iPad Air 2 (128GB) / iPhone 6 (16GB)
post #58 of 215 Old 08-12-2015, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1guru View Post
Ok, so what devices do deliver the most correct greyscale and cms?

I got a ipad air 2 iOS9 and AppleTV 3rd gen.

Is that a correct showing? Or should I purches the HDMI adapter insted?

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Using Airplay Mirroring to the AppleTV is the best option, as the HDMI-Lightning adapter has larger than acceptable gamut errors that are not there when you use the AppleTV.

post #59 of 215 Old 08-12-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Using Airplay Mirroring to the AppleTV is the best option, as the HDMI-Lightning adapter has larger than acceptable gamut errors that are not there when you use the AppleTV.
Perfect Thanks.

i1Display Pro
post #60 of 215 Old 08-12-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
One more quastion, the Fire TV Stick is it correct with that device also?

And is the MobileForge application installed directly to the stick?

i1Display Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page