Calman MobileForge for External Displays- Can it really be? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 53Likes

post #61 of 215 Old 08-12-2015, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Liked: 1904
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1guru View Post
One more quastion, the Fire TV Stick is it correct with that device also?

And is the MobileForge application installed directly to the stick?
The FireTV/FireTV Stick doesn't have the color gamut error like some other devices. Yes, MobileForge app runs directly on the FireTV/stick itself, so no mirroring from any other device. You can search for "MobileForge" in the FireTV app store to find the app.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 215 Old 08-12-2015, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
The FireTV/FireTV Stick doesn't have the color gamut error like some other devices. Yes, MobileForge app runs directly on the FireTV/stick itself, so no mirroring from any other device. You can search for "MobileForge" in the FireTV app store to find the app.
Perfect, then I'll order one right away.

SpectraCal CalMan 5.5.2 Enthusiast @ Windows 10
i1Display Pro
MobileForge @ Amazon Fire TV stick & AppleTV 3
DVE Bluray / AVSHD709 / Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk
Samsung UE48H6275 (XXE) European model)
Playstation 4 / AppleTV 3 / iPad Air 2 (128GB) / iPhone 6 (16GB)
post #63 of 215 Old 08-13-2015, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Using Airplay Mirroring to the AppleTV is the best option, as the HDMI-Lightning adapter has larger than acceptable gamut errors that are not there when you use the AppleTV.
I spoke w Joel Barsotti @ SpectraCal & confirmed that the Lightning to HDMI adaptor has a large Gamut error. I tried it myself and the error w the adaptor on My Panasonic 65ZT60 had the CMS controls maxed out on Cyan and Yellow (And we all know how well Panny's ZT series dials in ) so Apple TV is the way to go. I'm going to pick one up.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 215 Old 08-15-2015, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a very new Calman user that tried calibrating my P55VT50 last night using the Lightning>HDMI adapter with my iPhone 6 and had a lot of trouble.

Among the other problems I had which I'll start another thread about (or keep searching) I'm guessing I was being affected by this problem as well.

I bought the HDMI adapter yesterday so I can recently return it.

Which is the #1 hardware choice to run MF for calibrating a plasma.

Fire TV, ATV, Chromecast? Something else? ( the fire TV seems interesting as it de-complicates the setup slightly and is smaller in general)

Last edited by FastM; 08-15-2015 at 06:24 AM.
post #65 of 215 Old 08-15-2015, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastM View Post
I'm a very new Calman user that tried calibrating my P55VT50 last night using the Lightning>HDMI adapter with my iPhone 6 and had a lot of trouble.

Among the other problems I had which I'll start another thread about (or keep searching) I'm guessing I was being affected by this problem as well.

I bought the HDMI adapter yesterday so I can recently return it.

Which is the #1 hardware choice to run MF for calibrating a plasma.

Fire TV, ATV, Chromecast? Something else? ( the fire TV seems interesting as it de-complicates the setup slightly and is smaller in general)

I think the FireTV Stick is the easiest for your setup. You can PM me if you need any VT50 CalMAN related tips.

post #66 of 215 Old 08-16-2015, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I think the FireTV Stick is the easiest for your setup. You can PM me if you need any VT50 CalMAN related tips.
Thank you! That was the answer I was hoping for.. I actually picked up a FireTV Stick already and will make another attempt tonight. Hopefully will go better but I will definitely be putting together a shopping list of questions for you at one point, thanks for the help.

Another question, since the FireTV bypasses a mobile device, should we not be checking the "Expand Video to PC levels" under the Source settings tab? And then leave the Workflow basic options to "Video (16-235)"

I was also wondering where the "Expand Built-in Patterns to PC levels" fits in under the Application Preferences tab? (my guess is it applies to that button next to the controls in the bottom right and since the mobileforge app has limited built in patterns its not important at the moment?)
post #67 of 215 Old 08-16-2015, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjimsey View Post
I spoke w Joel Barsotti @ SpectraCal & confirmed that the Lightning to HDMI adaptor has a large Gamut error. I tried it myself and the error w the adaptor on My Panasonic 65ZT60 had the CMS controls maxed out on Cyan and Yellow (And we all know how well Panny's ZT series dials in ) so Apple TV is the way to go. I'm going to pick one up.

Bob
Picked up the Apple TV and everything fell into place so if your going to use iOS DON'T use the Lighting to HDMI adaptor. Apple TV mirroring worked perfect!

Also downloaded the latest CalMan5 update and the "Expand to video levels" is checked by default now, Nice!

Bob...
post #68 of 215 Old 09-08-2015, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post
The output gets compressed, so you need to check that if you're running video levels via the output device..

Since Mobile Forge is compressing 0-255 to 16-235, how you suggest to adjust Brightness, because the below black will not be visible (1-15), for example if one user will add +5 to his Brightness to see the 17 Flashing bar the same time he will have lift his black but he will not be able to notice this because 1-15 will be black... When we will playback later a movie from his player he will have a problem, a problem that will be no visible with Mobile Forge.

How do you check also the Above Reference White Clipping or Color Luminance Clipping?

Since it will not be possible to see 236-254, If you set your Contrast by checking that the near the 100% White the bars are flashing and you have no clip....if you later load a Contrast Pattern with Flashing Bars, the above reference white bars will clip or have pink shade etc... since you are able to check for clipping only the levels below 235 and not above 235.

Do you suggest the user to use a calibration disk to set Contrast/Brightness/ Check for Color Clipping and later use Mobile Forge only as a patch color generator?

Setting Contrast-Brightness accurately before starting calibration is the first priority tasks before starting a calibration, what's your view/solution you suggest about these issues?

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 09-08-2015 at 03:08 PM.
post #69 of 215 Old 09-08-2015, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 4364 Post(s)
Liked: 1604
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Since Mobile Forge is compressing 0-255 to 16-235, how you suggest to adjust Brightness, because the below black will not be visible (1-15), for example if one user will add +5 to his Brightness to see the 17 Flashing bar the same time he will have lift his black but he will not be able to notice this because 1-15 will be black...
Ted,

I haven't found it essential to be able to see BTB during brightness setting. Using your example, if the users sees 17 flashing at +5 for Brightness Control, he should reduce the Brightness one step at a time until 17 cannot be seen (e.g., at +2), and then go back up to the previous step (+3).

While it is possible that 15 would also be visible at +3 (which the user would not know due to lack of BTB), that is still the best setting as +2 would be too low. In addition, he can also check that the black level is not lifted at +3.

Just my 2 cents.
post #70 of 215 Old 09-08-2015, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Ted,

I haven't found it essential to be able to see BTB during brightness setting. Using your example, if the users sees 17 flashing at +5 for Brightness Control, he should reduce the Brightness one step at a time until 17 cannot be seen (e.g., at +2), and then go back up to the previous step (+3).

While it is possible that 15 would also be visible at +3 (which the user would not know due to lack of BTB), that is still the best setting as +2 would be too low. In addition, he can also check that the black level is not lifted at +3.

Just my 2 cents.

The most of the users, since there is no guidance to see which settings of their Brightness slider is the correct, they will choose the one that may not correct. One will choose for example the +2 setting, the other user the +3 etc....while the correct one can be only the +1 or Zero.

About Contrast is a problem also, since they can't see when they have above white clipping.

I don't think the users that will move to that Mobile Forge solution is calibration experts to do further tests. They will choose that solution because it will be simpler from them to use.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #71 of 215 Old 09-08-2015, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The most of the users, since there is no guidance to see which settings of their Brightness slider is the correct, they will choose the one that may not correct. One will choose for example the +2 setting, the other user the +3 etc....while the correct one can be only the +1 or Zero.
Not if you use the approach I was describing. You would end up with the same setting, regardless of whether you can see BTB or not; i.e., BTB is not the only guidance available to the user. Using the previous example, if 17 is not visible at +2, how can +1 or 0 be the correct setting?
post #72 of 215 Old 09-08-2015, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not if you use the approach I was describing. You would end up with the same setting, regardless of whether you can see BTB or not; i.e., BTB is not the only guidance available to the user. Using the previous example, if 17 is not visible at +2, how can +1 or 0 be the correct setting?

There displays where the 17 is very very barely visible, most of the users will think that is not the correct setting....but if you add another one brightness value, then the 16 is flashing too. This forces to wrong decisions.

How about the above reference white? Most of the displays will not clip below 234 when you have the contrast at max value.

post #73 of 215 Old 09-08-2015, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There displays where the 17 is very very barely visible, most of the users will think that is not the correct setting....but if you add another one brightness value, then the 16 is flashing too. This forces to wrong decisions.
If you're postulating that some users do not see the dim 17 at level 0, then the same users may also not see the dim 16 at the +1 level. These subjective approaches can always be confirmed by the measurements of the black level, i.e., the Brightness should be set such that the black level is not elevated.[EDIT: Typo corrected as pointed out by ConnecTEDDD]

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 09-09-2015 at 04:49 AM.
post #74 of 215 Old 09-08-2015, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Since Mobile Forge is compressing 0-255 to 16-235, how you suggest to adjust Brightness, because the below black will not be visible (1-15), for example if one user will add +5 to his Brightness to see the 17 Flashing bar the same time he will have lift his black but he will not be able to notice this because 1-15 will be black... When we will playback later a movie from his player he will have a problem, a problem that will be no visible with Mobile Forge.

How do you check also the Above Reference White Clipping or Color Luminance Clipping?

Since it will not be possible to see 236-254, If you set your Contrast by checking that the near the 100% White the bars are flashing and you have no clip....if you later load a Contrast Pattern with Flashing Bars, the above reference white bars will clip or have pink shade etc... since you are able to check for clipping only the levels below 235 and not above 235.

Do you suggest the user to use a calibration disk to set Contrast/Brightness/ Check for Color Clipping and later use Mobile Forge only as a patch color generator?

Setting Contrast-Brightness accurately before starting calibration is the first priority tasks before starting a calibration, what's your view/solution you suggest about these issues?

MobileForge's main feature is automated pattern switching. If MobileForge was my only pattern generator, I would use a test disc to set my brightness , contrast, and sharpness.
Rolls-Royce and SpenceMan01 like this.

post #75 of 215 Old 09-09-2015, 12:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
These subjective approaches can always be confirmed by the measurements of the black level

Modern LED's will deactivat their backlight when you will display a full field black pattern, so it always measure 0 cdm/2. These ideas are known for expert calibrations, you will still need a calibration disk to check Contast/Brightness/Color Clipping etc.

Quote:
the contrast should be set such that the black level is not elevated.

You mean bightness, not contrast.

post #76 of 215 Old 09-09-2015, 12:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
MobileForge's main feature is automated pattern switching. If MobileForge was my only pattern generator, I would use a test disc to set my brightness , contrast, and sharpness.

100% Agree with this, to use a calibration disk to do the basic calibration work Contrast/Brightness/Clipping/Sharpness and then use Mobile Forge for all the patch generation work with measurements.
jrref likes this.

post #77 of 215 Old 09-10-2015, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked: 5127
Quote:
And the FireTV is cheaper that purchasing the Apple hdmi adaptor!

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #78 of 215 Old 09-10-2015, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1708 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Is MobileForge usable in LUTs calibration?

If so, how does its speed compare to hardware pattern generators?
post #79 of 215 Old 09-21-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Is MobileForge usable in LUTs calibration?

If so, how does its speed compare to hardware pattern generators?
Well?
post #80 of 215 Old 09-21-2015, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Well?
It's really fast, but it only can measure between 16-235.
post #81 of 215 Old 09-22-2015, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked: 5127
I also found that if you use MobileForge on the Fire TV stick, you need to go into the Display settings on the stick and change the video setting from Auto to 1080P/60Hz before you launch MobileForge. If it's set to Auto, the grayscale levels will be high.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #82 of 215 Old 09-23-2015, 02:15 PM

Amazon are releasing a new Amazon Fire tv with 4K support (UHD) I do hope that spectracal are going to make a 4K MobileForge application for it

i1Display Pro
post #83 of 215 Old 10-01-2015, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Amazon are releasing a new Amazon Fire tv with 4K support (UHD) I do hope that spectracal are going to make a 4K MobileForge application for it

I did get a answer from spectracal and MobileForge should work as a 4K pattern generator directly on the Amazon Fire tv 4K.

i1Display Pro
post #84 of 215 Old 10-13-2015, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I wonder if that is my problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
I also found that if you use MobileForge on the Fire TV stick, you need to go into the Display settings on the stick and change the video setting from Auto to 1080P/60Hz before you launch MobileForge. If it's set to Auto, the grayscale levels will be high.
I noticed that using the internal patterns of my JVC projector agreed with the AVCHD disc but not with the Fire Stick/Mobile Forge patterns. I will try this setting and see if that is my problem.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #85 of 215 Old 10-20-2015, 10:10 AM

I'm having a problem with gambit using chromecast. Anyone else seeing this? I posted about this on the spectracal forum didn't get a response.
post #86 of 215 Old 10-20-2015, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm having a problem with gambit using chromecast. Anyone else seeing this? I posted about this on the spectracal forum didn't get a response.
The chrome cast is only accurate for Grayscale currently. The Amazon FireTV stick is correct for both Grayscale and Color Gamut and any other RGB triplet you want.

post #87 of 215 Old 10-30-2015, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Has anyone tested the Nvidia Shield TV? I sideloaded mobileforge and it seems to work, but not sure how accurate it is.
post #88 of 215 Old 11-02-2015, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeosnk View Post
Has anyone tested the Nvidia Shield TV? I sideloaded mobileforge and it seems to work, but not sure how accurate it is.
I would compare it to a pattern disc by measuring 70% and 100% white patches to see if the luminance is the same from both.

post #89 of 215 Old 11-03-2015, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
The chrome cast is only accurate for Grayscale currently.
When can we suppose full funcionality via Chromecast ?
post #90 of 215 Old 11-16-2015, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
I did get a answer from spectracal and MobileForge should work as a 4K pattern generator directly on the Amazon Fire tv 4K.
Hi,

I can see that you have Fire Stick and I suppose that you use it for mobile forge PG.
Have you ever calibrate any display using this tandem ?
Is it accurate both for grayscale and gamut CMS ?
Did you compare it with Ted's disk running from your PS4 ?

thank you in advance for your answer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page