SpectraCal CalMan 5.6 and C6 Colorimeter: Ready for HDR - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #1 of 111 Old 09-07-2015, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 431 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9068 Post(s)
Liked: 15984
SpectraCal CalMan 5.6 and C6 Colorimeter: Ready for HDR

SpectraCal's latest version of CalMan adds HDR support to its feature list. The C6 colorimeter gains certification for HDR calibration.

-----

2015 saw the introduction of numerous HDR (high dynamic range) displays from the major TV manufacturers. The technology offers a significant boost in image quality by providing an increase in contrast over conventional displays that use the current BT.709 standard for HD video.

One of the most popular software solutions for performing video calibrations is SpectraCal's CalMan. With this update to version 5.6, the software offers the capability to calibrate HDR displays. According to the company, "CalMan offers support for dozens of different EOTFs (electro-optical transfer functions), including the SMPTE 2084 Perceptual Quantization (PQ) Curve that is at the heart of HDR."

HDR, as presented to consumers, is more than just increased dynamic range. An expanded color gamut as part of the package and the CalMan update handles over 20 different color gamuts with various gamma and white point options to match DCI P3, BT.2020, Dolby Vision and HDR10 formats.

Proper HDR display calibration can be a complicated process, especially if it involves 3D look-up tables (3D LUTs). CalMan 5.6 communicates directly with external and integrated video processors to make 3D LUT calibration as fast, easy, and intuitive as possible.

You can't use calibration software without a meter, so SpectraCal bundles its software with measurement hardware. SpectraCal's C6 colorimeter offers a competent and affordable solution that is now certified for HDR calibration. I bought a C6 meter not too long ago and found it to be both accurate and easy to use.

I look forward to putting SpectraCal's new tools to good use reviewing the latest HDR-capable televisions. I'm quite curious how much impact proper calibration makes with HDR content. Do you have an HDR capable TV? If so, are you considering getting it calibrated?

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 09-07-2015 at 10:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 Old 09-07-2015, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 596
When I do get my Sony 940C, I will be getting it calibrated
post #3 of 111 Old 09-07-2015, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 3110 Post(s)
Liked: 3848
Hi, thanks for these release infos, just I wanted to post some extra details/corrections for the final user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
SpectraCal's latest version of CalMan adds HDR support to its feature list. The C6 colorimeter gains certification for HDR calibration.

One of the most popular software solutions for performing video calibrations is SpectraCal's CalMan. With this update to version 5.6, the software offers the capability to calibrate HDR displays. According to the company, "CalMan offers support for dozens of different EOTFs (electro-optical transfer functions), including the SMPTE 2084 Perceptual Quantization (PQ) Curve that is at the heart of HDR."

HDR, as presented to consumers, is more than just increased dynamic range. An expanded color gamut as part of the package and the CalMan update handles over 20 different color gamuts with various gamma and white point options to match DCI P3, BT.2020, Dolby Vision and HDR10 formats.
The ST.2084 gamma formula for high dynamic range (HDR) displays can selectable/used only from CalMAN Ultimate users. This feature was added after CalMAN 5.4.1 @ March 5 2015, so it will not be a new feature of CalMAN 5.6.0 when the final build will be released.

CalMAN 5.6.0 is currently at Open Beta status and according to the first wave of user feedback nothing is working as expected: http://www.spectracal.com/forum/view...p?f=130&t=5791

For sure SpectraCAL will fix all those issues to future beta's.

CalMAN Enthousiast user will be able to calibrate REC.2020 colorspace for non-HDR but not for DCI-P3 which will require CalMAN Ultimate license. Supposed that the HDR movies will be released for DCI-P3 colorspace because there is not available a movie mastered in REC.2020 yet. All movies are mastered for theatrical release for DCI-P3. From DCI-P3 you can make conversion to a smaller colorspace like REC.709; something is used for 1080p Blu-Ray release, but when you will expand to a larger colorspace like REC.2020 you gain nothing.

Quote:
Proper HDR display calibration can be a complicated process, especially if it involves 3D look-up tables (3D LUTs). CalMan 5.6 communicates directly with external and integrated video processors to make 3D LUT calibration as fast, easy, and intuitive as possible.
HDR+3DLUT will require a 3D LUT Hardware Device that will have HDMI 2.0a Input/Output and can support HDR 3D LUT's/DCI/REC.2020 colorspaces, which doesn't exist in market.

Current external pattern generators are not capable to generate patterns for HDR, you need HDMI 2.0a for this, that revision added HDR metadata support.

To calibrate an HDR display you have to enable the display's HDR mode and this is possible only if you have a connection that can be able to transmit/receive the required HDR metadata.

Quote:
You can't use calibration software without a meter, so SpectraCal bundles its software with measurement hardware. SpectraCal's C6 colorimeter offers a competent and affordable solution that is now certified for HDR calibration. I bought a C6 meter not too long ago, and found it to be both accurate and easy to use.

I look forward to putting SpectraCal's new tools to good use reviewing the latest HDR capable televisions. I'm quite curious how much impact proper calibration makes with HDR content. Do you have an HDR capable TV? If so, are you considering getting it calibrated?
The SpectraCAL's C6 measuring capability is up to 1.000 cd/m2 (manufacturer specifications) which is not enough for HDR. For higher luminance levels you will need to add a Neutral Density Attenuation Filter that can extend C6's measuring range to some thousands of cd/m2's, so this is not a feature that can be added by just a software release only.

SpectraCAL via software update can add some new EDR (Emissive Display Reference) files for some new/wide gamut display technologies since C6 is field upgradable, but this has to do only for more accurate reading of displays with larger colorspace's, not related with HDR.

The REC2020 spec. has to do with encoding colorspace and has nothing to do with HDR.

Without availability of a pattern generator that can enable the HDR mode of the display, the only way to do this is by using some special encoded files with patterns (from display's USB) that will enable the HDR mode. But these patterns are not available. So anyone who want to calibrate his HDR display simply he can't. He can calibrate it only for SDR.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 09-07-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 111 Old 09-07-2015, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi, thanks for these release infos, just I wanted to post some extra details/corrections for the final user.

The ST.2084 gamma formula for high dynamic range (HDR) displays can selectable/used only from CalMAN Ultimate users. This feature was added after CalMAN 5.4.1 @ March 5 2015, so it will not be a new feature of CalMAN 5.6.0 when the final build will be released.

CalMAN 5.6.0 is currently at Open Beta status and according to the first wave of user feedback nothing is working as expected: http://www.spectracal.com/forum/view...p?f=130&t=5791

For sure SpectraCAL will fix all those issues to future beta's.

CalMAN Enthousiast user will be able to calibrate REC.2020 colorspace for non-HDR but not for DCI-P3 which will require CalMAN Ultimate license. Supposed that the HDR movies will be released for DCI-P3 colorspace because there is not available a movie mastered in REC.2020 yet. All movies are mastered for theatrical release for DCI-P3. From DCI-P3 you can make conversion to a smaller colorspace like REC.709; something is used for 1080p Blu-Ray release, but when you will expand to a larger colorspace like REC.2020 you gain nothing.

HDR+3DLUT will require a 3D LUT Hardware Device that will have HDMI 2.0a Input/Output and can support HDR 3D LUT's/DCI/REC.2020 colorspaces, which doesn't exist in market.

Current external pattern generators are not capable to generate patterns for HDR, you need HDMI 2.0a for this, that revision added HDR metadata support.

To calibrate an HDR display you have to enable the display's HDR mode and this is possible only if you have a connection that can be able to transmit/receive the required HDR metadata.

The SpectraCAL's C6 measuring capability is up to 1.000 cd/m2 (manufacturer specifications) which is not enough for HDR. For higher luminance levels you will need to add a Neutral Density Attenuation Filter that can extend C6's measuring range to some thousands of cd/m2's, so this is not a feature that can be added by just a software release only.

SpectraCAL via software update can add some new EDR (Emissive Display Reference) files for some new/wide gamut display technologies since C6 is field upgradable, but this has to do only for more accurate reading of displays with larger colorspace's, not related with HDR.

The REC2020 spec. has to do with encoding colorspace and has nothing to do with HDR.

Without availability of a pattern generator that can enable the HDR mode of the display, the only way to do this is by using some special encoded files with patterns (from display's USB) that will enable the HDR mode. But these patterns are not available. So anyone who want to calibrate his HDR display simply he can't. He can calibrate it only for SDR.
a filter added?
I wondered how that was going to work.
my first thought was a reduction in pattern out put and some kind of upscale to calculate the brightness beyond the meter.?

Loving D65
post #5 of 111 Old 09-07-2015, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I was going to say the same thing about the pattern generator. I just had my 65JS9500 calibrated by @Chad B and after researching it further, found not only is there no pattern generators available to calibrate with but, at least with samsungs, the HDR software is so buggy and lacking of calibration controls, there is no way to do it.

For instance, currently when I watch HDR shows on Amazon (or USB demo videos), HDR kicks in (signified by backlight increasing to 20 but no other indication or special picture mode), and changes my color space. If I leave it on my Rec 709 calibration, the image is completly green and messed up. If I move it to native, it works but then all my custom calibrated settings are changed forcing me to re-input everything! So we may now have the software for calibrators, but without pattern generators and proper HDR modes on televisions, it is pointless...
post #6 of 111 Old 09-07-2015, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWldLif View Post
a filter added?
I wondered how that was going to work.
Hi, You have to profile your i1D3 (with the filter) using the id3 as a reference without the filter.

Doing this you will have a 3x3 matrix that will correct the ND filter.

You can use 75% Stimulus patterns to create that meter correction table.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #7 of 111 Old 09-07-2015, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Cardinale View Post
I was going to say the same thing about the pattern generator. I just had my 65JS9500 calibrated by @Chad B and after researching it further, found not only is there no pattern generators available to calibrate with but, at least with samsungs, the HDR software is so buggy and lacking of calibration controls, there is no way to do it.

For instance, currently when I watch HDR shows on Amazon (or USB demo videos), HDR kicks in (signified by backlight increasing to 20 but no other indication or special picture mode), and changes my color space. If I leave it on my Rec 709 calibration, the image is completly green and messed up. If I move it to native, it works but then all my custom calibrated settings are changed forcing me to re-input everything! So we may now have the software for calibrators, but without pattern generators and proper HDR modes on televisions, it is pointless...
That is a fascinating insight into the current state of things in HDR land

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #8 of 111 Old 09-07-2015, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
That is a fascinating insight into the current state of things in HDR land
Thinking about how long the samsung JS series has been out, you'd think major bugs like this would have at least partially been resolved. I had Samsung support yesterday screen watching my tv as I demonstrated and am awaiting a call from higher ups this week for more info. I hope before years end we can have properly working HDR modes at least, let alone being able to calibrate for it. Without ANY documentation on even which mode settings to use (certain modes make the screen have no punch, others over saturate, and the dynamic picture mode , which seems to be the best fit as of yet, locks out ALL advanced picture controls), HDR is a really complicated beast that is highly unstable at the moment.

That being said, having watched several HDR videos and tv shows, the potential is amazing. The increase depth, color, and highlights make for some of the best tv viewing Ive ever seen.
post #9 of 111 Old 09-07-2015, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 321 Post(s)
Quoted: 5409 Post(s)
Liked: 5577
Ted, thanks a lot for all the infos, just one thing to take into account, UHD Bluray is currently mastered with a peak brightness of 1000cd/m2 (at least for the mandatory level), and most flat panels have a peak brightness of 300 to 1000 cd/m2 at most (hence why the current mastering peak used for mandatory HDR is 1000cd/m2). Of course projectors with HDR support like the new Sony and JVC projectors will have a much lower peak brightness. For example, JVC announces a peak brightness of 150cd/m2 for its brightest projector (the X9000 with 1900 lumens) on a 100" screen with a nominal gain, so all consumer projectors in the near future are far from being a problem, even on a high gain screen.

Overall, the 1000cd/m2 limit of the C6 is not a problem for most current HDR displays, flat panels and projectors.

What you might have in mind is either Dolby Vision which can go up to 4000cd/m2 on a monstruous pro display which requires a swimming pool to cool down (only slightly exaggerating), or the theoretical peak brightnes of HDR which is 10000cd/m2. But no consumer display is close to reach either of these limits. The optional HDR formats like Dolby Vision and Philips can use more than 1000cd/m2 (provided the display is able to reproduce such an extended range) but they are optional, so if you have a meter limited to 1000cd/m2 like the C6 you can always fall-back to the mandatory HDR and calibrate that way.

I'm safe for a while with my good old BasiCColor Discus, it goes up to 2500cd/m2

Good point regarding the pattern generator, although an HTPC using an HDMI 2.0a GPU (like the nVidia GTX 960) could be used with an updated version of MadTPG for MadVr or the Calman PC Client pattern generators. The display could even be forced into HDR mode manually as long as the pattern generator sends the HDR patterns, with about any GPU.

So hopefully we'll be able to calibrate with HDR by the end of the year
David Mathews and imagic like this.

Last edited by Manni01; 09-07-2015 at 03:01 PM.
post #10 of 111 Old 09-07-2015, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1407
Quote:
Hi there, I'm considering buying this system to calibrate games I make implementing this, however I'm curious about what you just said.

Apparently, at least with the new Sony 520es HDR-capable projector, it is indeed possible to send 10-bit video data and have the display interpret it as HDR even in the absence of the 2.0a capability in the source device:

From here:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/vw520es-201509054169.htm

Interestingly, the HDR clip was served from a Sony 4K Media Player that had yet to be updated to HDMI 2.0a, and so a user menu [HDR] setting needed to be enabled on the VPL-VW520ES to apply ST 2084 EOTF (electro-optical transfer function) to the video. Out of curiosity, we engaged [HDR] for the SDR version of the Spidey flick, which only served to mangle the picture in terms of blacks and shadow detail.

Would it be correct to hypothesize that Sony, owning the specs to the projector and its HDR display curves, can apply those pre-emptively in the source media player, and then have the projector just say "ok, I'll just display this as-is then, now that you've engaged HDR".

Would that kind of bypass help calibration using Calman? Let's say I was writing custom PC code to drive the projector, and wanted to engage the HDR mode and deduce all the projector parameters using Calman.
post #11 of 111 Old 09-07-2015, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Apparently, at least with the new Sony 520es HDR-capable projector, it is indeed possible to send 10-bit video data and have the display interpret it as HDR even in the absence of the 2.0a capability in the source device:

Hi, maybe this is an option to enable/disable the HDR, when you send HDR signal and related to SMPTE ST 2094 Dynamic metadata to transmit HDR and SDR in a Single Stream. We have to see the manual to be sure.

post #12 of 111 Old 09-07-2015, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Seems that is an enhancement option of converting SDR to HDR.

Before getting into how HDR shapes up on the VW520ES, it’s worth pointing out that while looking through its menus we noticed that you can, if you wish, ‘convert’ SDR sources to HDR and BT.2020. Both options are available separately, with the HDR option converting an SDR source to HDR’s gamma curve, and BT.2020 expanding an SDR source’s colour space.

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-v...PCBWjw6LRv1.99

post #13 of 111 Old 09-07-2015, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2828
What happened to sotti (Joel Barsotti) post?

Last edited by losservatore; 09-07-2015 at 04:45 PM.
post #14 of 111 Old 09-07-2015, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post
Actually it's a huge infusion of confusion.

Tedd has no inside info, and is basically spreading misinformation.

Anyone who would like to learn more is welcome to continue the discussion on the spectracal forum.
Can you point the misinformations I posted?

Why to discus something that is posted to this forum, not here but to SpectraCAL Forum?

We need the 'insider' info from you.

post #15 of 111 Old 09-07-2015, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
What happened to sotti (Joel Barsotti) post?
Yes, what happened there?

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #16 of 111 Old 09-07-2015, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2794 Post(s)
Liked: 2562
Perhaps this isn't the right place to ask this question. If so, please direct me. Looking at the color space chart on the home page that links to this thread, why is it that so much of the green and blue space is uncovered by the triangle, while the red space is nearly fully covered. As someone who is unhappy with the lack of quality greens in my video, why is it that they can't get to a place where those areas are covered too? Deep green and deep blue are just missing.

Technical experts, please help me understand the problem here.
post #17 of 111 Old 09-07-2015, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

-----

2015 saw the introduction of numerous HDR (high dynamic range) displays from the major TV manufacturers. The technology offers a significant boost in image quality by providing an increase in contrast over conventional displays that use the current BT.709 standard for HD video.

You can't use calibration software without a meter, so SpectraCal bundles its software with measurement hardware. SpectraCal's C6 colorimeter offers a competent and affordable solution that is now certified for HDR calibration. I bought a C6 meter not too long ago, and found it to be both accurate and easy to use.

I look forward to putting SpectraCal's new tools to good use reviewing the latest HDR capable televisions. I'm quite curious how much impact proper calibration makes with HDR content. Do you have an HDR capable TV? If so, are you considering getting it calibrated?

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
Great Mark, let Mike and I know if we can help!

-Jim Noyd
Noyd Communications Inc.
Representing VIZIO, DVDO,
Puro Sound Labs, 1MORE
post #18 of 111 Old 09-07-2015, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Hi, You have to profile your i1D3 (with the filter) using the id3 as a reference without the filter...
I've seen several references to the i1D3 but can't find any info on it, or anywhere to purchase it, online. (The Xrite webpage for the product just has a picture and the product name - no info.)

Can you supply a URL where the i1D3 can be purchased?

Also .. what is the id3?
post #19 of 111 Old 09-07-2015, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Perhaps this isn't the right place to ask this question. If so, please direct me. Looking at the color space chart on the home page that links to this thread, why is it that so much of the green and blue space is uncovered by the triangle, while the red space is nearly fully covered. As someone who is unhappy with the lack of quality greens in my video, why is it that they can't get to a place where those areas are covered too? Deep green and deep blue are just missing.

Technical experts, please help me understand the problem here.

Mostly that is just an artifact of the CIE xy colorspace being based on simple math and not having any perceptual weighting. The CIE uv space does a better job of making the coordinates more perceptually uniform.

The other issue involved is that we only have a triangle, if you move the triangle to envelope more cyan colors, then you give up having saturated Yellow colors. Until we go to more primaries, it's hard to push out into that area.

Of course the first wave of HDR displays are going to do something in between. Right now only laser projectors can do full BT.2020.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uv_bt2020.png
Views:	3305
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	929106   Click image for larger version

Name:	uv_bt709.png
Views:	3287
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	929114  

Last edited by sotti; 09-07-2015 at 07:24 PM.
post #20 of 111 Old 09-07-2015, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post
I've seen several references to the i1D3 but can't find any info on it, or anywhere to purchase it, online. (The Xrite webpage for the product just has a picture and the product name - no info.)

Also .. what is the id3?
Xrite i1 Display Pro
http://www.xrite.com/i1display-pro

They are available in all kinds of places.
post #21 of 111 Old 09-07-2015, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Xrite i1 Display Pro
http://www.xrite.com/i1display-pro

They are available in all kinds of places.
Thanks for the response ...

Is the i1 display pro in your link identical to the i1D3 in this link - https://www.xrite.com/i1d3-oem? I.e. the product in your link is an "OEM" version that will work with software other than Calman?

In numerous posts/forums the i1display pro and the i1D3 seem to be referred to different products? Needless to say it's a bit confusing ...
post #22 of 111 Old 09-07-2015, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the response ...

Is the i1 display pro in your link identical to the i1D3 in this link - https://www.xrite.com/i1d3-oem? I.e. the product in your link is an "OEM" version that will work with software other than Calman?
OEM and Retail are the same, more than a few products support the full retail model.

Quote:
In numerous posts/forums the i1display pro and the i1D3 seem to be referred to different products? Needless to say it's a bit confusing ...
The two main meters XRite sells right now are the i1 Display Pro (i1D3) mentioned above and the i1 Pro. The i1 Pro is their spectrophotometer, which is very different than a colorimeter like the i1D3.
post #23 of 111 Old 09-07-2015, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Quoted: 3997 Post(s)
Liked: 3172
The whole mess, and it is a mess, is the serious lack of being able to calibrate any current TVs correctly! Are the manufacturer's even sure what to put in their sets for calibrators to do a good job? Is there a set TV yet that even has 21 Point Grayscale? HDR has been swung at us out of nowhere, something like a girl friend showing up telling you she's expecting your baby, and what are you going to do about it? Like how to tell your wife! Any way you look at it, it's going to cost $ - the TV being the cheap part of the whole scenario!

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
post #24 of 111 Old 09-07-2015, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:

Picked up a 78JS9500. It was broke-in and then calibrated by David Makenzie using the CalMan5

I might have an HDR calibration tune up when HDR Blu-rays players are out along with a few HDR discs

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 8 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Sony XBR-75Z9D,. LG OLED55E6P
Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
post #25 of 111 Old 09-07-2015, 11:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2794 Post(s)
Liked: 2562
Quote:
Mostly that is just an artifact of the CIE xy colorspace being based on simple math and not having any perceptual weighting. The CIE uv space does a better job of making the coordinates more perceptually uniform.

The other issue involved is that we only have a triangle, if you move the triangle to envelope more cyan colors, then you give up having saturated Yellow colors. Until we go to more primaries, it's hard to push out into that area.

Of course the first wave of HDR displays are going to do something in between. Right now only laser projectors can do full BT.2020.
Thank you.
post #26 of 111 Old 09-07-2015, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
The whole mess, and it is a mess, is the serious lack of being able to calibrate any current TVs correctly! Are the manufacturer's even sure what to put in their sets for calibrators to do a good job? Is there a set TV yet that even has 21 Point Grayscale? HDR has been swung at us out of nowhere, something like a girl friend showing up telling you she's expecting your baby, and what are you going to do about it? Like how to tell your wife! Any way you look at it, it's going to cost $ - the TV being the cheap part of the whole scenario!
Actually I'm pretty sure it's the opposite. The new standards are supposedly there to help display manufacturers take whatever input signal they get and accurately portray it within the confines of its own specs. That's one of the big take-aways I got from discussing the HDR system with Dolby engineers. Auto-calibration is a thing. well, a spec. A standard. I'm sure early displays don't do it, but it's entirely possible to have auto-calibration built -in. It's only processing after all. Of course being able to use a colorimeter is a cool thing for us nerds or for content producers to validate their work, but over time it will be less "mandatory" a step to do if you want an accurate picture. At least that's what I understood from the info I've read / discussed so far.
post #27 of 111 Old 09-08-2015, 12:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 12614 Post(s)
Liked: 11817
Quote:
Actually I'm pretty sure it's the opposite. The new standards are supposedly there to help display manufacturers take whatever input signal they get and accurately portray it within the confines of its own specs. That's one of the big take-aways I got from discussing the HDR system with Dolby engineers. Auto-calibration is a thing. well, a spec. A standard. I'm sure early displays don't do it, but it's entirely possible to have auto-calibration built -in. It's only processing after all. Of course being able to use a colorimeter is a cool thing for us nerds or for content producers to validate their work, but over time it will be less "mandatory" a step to do if you want an accurate picture. At least that's what I understood from the info I've read / discussed so far.

Anyone known plans for dolby to move onto sony or samsung tvs that you know of?
post #28 of 111 Old 09-08-2015, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Also .. what is the id3?
Hi, we call i1DisplayPRO as i1D3 or EODIS3 (names that taken from it's part number).

There are 3 version of the i1Display Pro instrument :

The standard X-Rite i1Display Pro (Retail, available at stores, sometimes SpectraCAL are selling retail meters also.)

OEM Generic version of the i1Display Pro (Version that LightIllusion, ChromaPure and sometimes SpectraCAL are selling.)

Custom OEM branded i1Display Pro (SpectraCAL C6 of other Branded OEM's versions from HP, Toshiba, Eizo, Nec etc...)

Retail version is working with X-Rite i1Profiler, that you can download the latest version from X-Rite's website, and you can create VCGT (Video Card Gamma Table) LUT's / ICC profiles for your PC/Mac monitor.

You can operate the retail version of the meter with HCFR, CalMAN, ChromaPure, ArgyllCMS calibration software.

OEM version or OEM Branded version of the meter can't use X-Rite's i1Profiler.

You can operate the OEM version of the meter with LightSpace, HCFR, CalMAN, ChromaPure, ArgyllCMS calibration software.

Custom OEM branded i1Display Pro like SpectraCAL's C6 is working only with CalMAN.

This summer X-Rite released the Rev.B of i1DisplayPRO.

Both instruments (Rev.A / Rev.B) look exact the same except their part number where in Rev.B will have a OE-xx.B-xx.xxxxxx.xx or i1D3DC+OEM rev B-02.

The Rev.B has updated hardware/firmware that supports a new refresh rate detection and synchronization (AIO).

The new AIO (All in One) measurement mode for the i1Display Pro can improve the measurement stability for certain displays.

post #29 of 111 Old 09-08-2015, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
SpectraCal's C6 colorimeter offers a competent and affordable solution that is now certified for HDR calibration.
Ummm... come again!?
post #30 of 111 Old 09-08-2015, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Ummm... come again!?
Lol, everything is relative. The C6 was what I was thinking about when I said affordable. Certainly the top tier CalMan license isn't cheap.
jhughy2010 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Tags
calman , frontpage , hdr , Spectracal

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page