Calibrating a samsung 4K tv - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-13-2015, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Calibrating a samsung 4K tv

What are my options here -- is there a do it yourself dvd? Is it worth professionally done and is it only available from best buy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-13-2015, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmkr27 View Post
What are my options here -- is there a do it yourself dvd? Is it worth professionally done and is it only available from best buy?
go to the 4k or lcd forum and try to locate a thread on your tv.
it will give you some incite into the out of box accuracy and
tips on settings.

no, best buy calibrators are not a good choice or the only
option on calibrations.
thread here about pros.

Loving D65
post #3 of 3 Old 09-13-2015, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 93
First, it depends on how important calibration is to you: what is your budget to spend on time versus money for it?

Here are the options I see:

Free and under an hour or two: I agree the with previous post: you will find some good guidelines on the AVS owner thread of your TV, however I am sure there will be drift and variability between TVs of the same make, hence I say guidelines. This just takes time to track down suggestions and punch them in.

Cheap (under $40) and under an hour or two: You can use DVD or BluRay calibration disks (Disney Wow, Digital Video Essentials) during the configuration process to further improve any tweaks you want to make. Honestly, I think this would be fine if you're not a purist or discerning. If you are, then continue onwards...

For UHD, I believe Joe Kane's $150 USB stick at http://www.videoessentials.com/ is the only game in town today.

Next up: $100s of dollars and as many hours as you like. Use and master amateur/prosumer color calibration hardware and software. There are threads for that on AVS, I think we've seen imagic go down this path. Take a look at any of the other Display Calibration forums and ask there: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/

Finally, I agree not to put much stock in the Best Buy/Magnolia calibration service unless they are certified, but by who and for what?

ISF = https://www.imagingscience.com/ will give you a certified professional calibrator. I don't know what the pricing would be, but I'd expect over $100 a visit. Shop around for a quote to try it. These folks should be using professional calibration equipment (hardware and software that cost into the thousands of dollars?) which are a step above the prosumer and amateur stuff mentioned above.

Again, I believe a TV can drift and you may want to recalibrate every couple of years with any of the above methods.

Last edited by drummernrg; 09-13-2015 at 04:52 PM. Reason: added detail, links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page