The Official ChromaPure 3 thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 345Likes

post #271 of 1727 Old 01-17-2016, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by desray2k View Post
Tom, I hope i m not in your blacklist?
Nope. And it is not a blacklist. I'm human. I get annoyed like everyone else.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1727 Old 01-17-2016, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
What is the procedure to place an image on the top of a calibration report?
This is on our To do list. It sounds like a simple thing but we had real trouble with this. I hope to release this feature shortly.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #273 of 1727 Old 01-17-2016, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svellinis View Post
Tom Did you see that ?
Yep. This will be fixed this week. The luminance correction is not carrying over to the Contrast module. BTW, you can keep using the Contrast module even now. CR is about relative luminance. Absolute luminance doesn't matter.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 1727 Old 01-17-2016, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyrockets View Post
The small window option doesn't work in the autocal setup using my lumagen 2143.
It keeps reverting to the bigger window, I want too use the smaller window do too the fact that I'm calibrating plasma.
Thank you
Also, the sharpness pattern no longer pops up in the precal runthrough.
I'll look into this.
Follow-up: I could not repeat the problem with the small window not staying up. Please try again and report back.
I confirmed that the sharpness pattern does not come up, but I just ran through the Lumagen test patterns and it doesn't seem to include a sharpness test pattern per se. Overscan and crosshatch come the closest.I'll talk to Jim about this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Last edited by TomHuffman; 01-18-2016 at 04:28 AM.
post #275 of 1727 Old 01-17-2016, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyrockets View Post
Also, once the calibration is finished and report pops up, how do I save the finished autocal, or does it do it automatically?
Thanks again.
It saves the config automatically. This is a carryover from v2.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #276 of 1727 Old 01-17-2016, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knd View Post
Just got V3 loaded and was able to perform an auto-calibration of my RS500 @ 100 hrs, via my Lumagen 2143.

I am very impressed with V3. I have only used HCFR and version 2.5.7, but for what I need this is vastly easier to use than 2.5.7.

Tom,
A couple of observations:
1. I couldn't find anywhere in the auto-calibrate tab where to set Gamma, so I went into the Gamma Module and set BT.1886. Might want to add this to the auto-cal tab.
2. During auto-cal the target gamma has more than 10 decimal places displayed. No biggie, but you may want to display 2 places.
3. Last page of the auto-cal report, I think the pre and post data is switched. My dE's were better pre than post, which I doubt is correct.
1. In v2 we didn't have a system-wide gamma, so we had to put multiple gamma selectors all over the place. Now, you set it once in Settings and it is applied everywhere. Someone suggested putting access to these settings in auto-cal, which sounds like a good idea to me.
2. Agreed.
3. I'll look into this.
Follow-up: I confirmed that the last dE chart for auto-cal has pre and post data switched. Will fix right away.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Last edited by TomHuffman; 01-18-2016 at 04:29 AM.
post #277 of 1727 Old 01-17-2016, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post
One issue that I do have is that, though I have an AccuPel HDG3000 signal generator, I prefer to use the ChromaPure internal signal generator. With my old laptop, I found that the internal generator signals matched my AccuPel quite well. With Windows10, the HDMI input is subject to display settings (for the extended desktop 2nd screen) and those signals do not then match the AccuPel very well. Does anyone know of a way to bypass the display color settings for the HDMI output with Windows 10? I tried adjusting the color settings so the output matches the Accupel, but there are still errors and I just don't have confidence in the test patterns.
Download madVR. It contains a utility called madLevelsTweaker.exe. Run that utility on the target display. Check the checkbox that says force 0-255. You may or may not have to re-boot.
ChromaPure's built-in test patterns should now be bit-perfect.
davehancock likes this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #278 of 1727 Old 01-18-2016, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, but I wanted to share that there is an easy solution to the problem (at least on Win 10 systems).
I think that you and desray2k are talking about two different things. What you are talking about is text scaling. This is available in several versions of Windows. Setting it to 100% solves the problem. What desray2k is talking about is setting the panel's resolution to a lower figure. This is necessary on some displays because, after setting text scaling to 100%, the text is too small to read.

We are going to take another run at this in 3.2, but let me provide a little background. This is a problem that--prior to 2012 (not exactly ancient history)--did not exist. Until 2012 there was always a fixed relationship between resolution and size in computer monitors. You could buy a monitor with a high resolution, but they were invariably large. So, laptops were restricted to no more than 1600 x 900 resolution because they were necessarily no larger than 17". 1920 x 1080 displays were restricted to large desktop monitors.

This all changed in 2012 when Apple released the Retina display for the Macbook Pro and the iPad. According to Wikipedia, the "goal of Retina Displays is to make the display of text and images extremely crisp, so pixels are not visible to the naked eye.This allows displays to rival the smooth curves and sharpness of printed text and immediacy of photographic prints." They were developed primarily for the purpose of rendering photographs (and video) and text with greater sharpness.

However, this had side effects. For the first time the relationship between monitor size and resolution was broken. MacBook Pros and (especially) Apple tablets had relatively small screens (iPad Pro 13") and the MacBook Pro (15") Retina screen had a 2880×1800 resolution. Although text, photographs, and video looks great on these displays, they pose a real challenge for applications like ours that were originally designed to run at the screen's native resolution and 100% text size. You can't run an application like ours at a 2880×1800 resolution on a 15" monitor. The text will just be too small (on a 23" desktop monitor it looks fine.) So, you have to use text scaling. We have yet to find a satisfactory solution that implements text scaling for these displays that also looks good on conventional displays. Please understand, this is not simple for an application that has multiple independent areas of allocated screen space each containing both graphics and text. It is not like reading a digital book or looking at a photo or video. Each of the separate areas of the screen must have space allocated independently to accommodate each element within. I am not saying it can't be done, but just that it is no cake walk. Until now I have been more concerned with adding features than solving this problem, which has a simple--though not perfect--workaround.

As I said, we will take another run at this in 3.2. Until then, turn off text scaling and if the text is then too small, then set the monitor at a lower-than-native resolution.
davehancock and desray2k like this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #279 of 1727 Old 01-18-2016, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
Please--and this is not just for you, but for everyone--please stop including along with reported problems statements to the effect "please don't take this negatively. . ." I am not a fragile flower. I can withstand honest, constructive criticism. There were two posts, two!, in the lengthy discussion about UI that really irritated me because I thought that they were unhelpful, non-specific, and frankly a little obnoxious. I think that most fair-minded people would agree. As long as the post is about substance, then criticize away!! I really don't mind. The product can't get better without honest feedback.
With all due respect Tom, the reason I phrased my constructive criticism the way I did is because I saw you jump down people's throats when they tried to help you with the UI. Granted, some of them were much less "constructive" than I think was appropriate, but you had multiple people tell you that they didn't believe you were listening to them or were being rather aggressive toward your users. In addition, I'm assuming you are a pretty small business, so I thought that people should be more gentle in their feedback since the product is probably closer to your chest than another company. Still, if you would rather me be more direct, I'm fine with that, and I'll adjust accordingly.

Quote:
I cannot repeat the problem with Quick Reports that you describe. Taking measurements and generating a Quick Report results in a 3-page report.

http://www.chromapure.com/bugtest/Qr.../Qreport3.html

Edit: What you may have done is first create another report from another module and then left that report open. You cannot generate a new report--even a quick report--until the existing one has been closed.
You are correct in that I had a report open, so that's why it didn't work. Can't you see why that is poor design though? I clicked "quick report." It didn't generate a quick report. Ergo, it will lead to confusion for users. Additionally, it is supposed to be quick. How if it quick if I need to remember to close the report tab every single time I want a quick report from any module? Yes, I understand now that I need to close the report tab, but my point is that it makes the product difficult to use. There is zero feedback for the user that the report tab needs to be arbitrarily closed before this feature will work. It just doesn't show up. The quick report needs to generate quickly. I believe the current implementation is poor and could be improved.

Quote:
The tabs have been in ChromaPure for several years. You are the first and only person to my knowledge to complain about them. Furthermore, a tabbed interface like this is a standard navigation device in MS apps. In other words, we are not really doing anything with these that is unusual or non-standard.
This comment confuses me. You are not comparing apples to apples. A tabbed/ribbon interface exists in Word and such because it is really the only way to organize and access an enormous amount of information. A tabbed interface exists in Firefox to organize websites that would otherwise be hidden behind other windows. Your tabs don't really serve a purpose that I can tell. They literally duplicate the buttons on the left. If a tab is open, the button just takes you to the tab. This is duplication. My point is, why not just store whatever values are on the module behind the scenes and switch to them when the buttons are clicked? Does anyone actually click the tabs at the top to navigate instead of the buttons to the left? My bet is that if you took a survey, you would see that they do not.

I'll reiterate what I said before that I recommend you get someone with UI experience to look at this. You say you value fresh eyes, but I guess I feel that you are really pushing back against some of these suggestions, both from me and from others. You have used the product for forever. What is obvious to you or even what workarounds makes sense to you will not be obvious or make sense to others. If you want CP to be accessible to new users, I believe these changes are important.

Just because users haven't complained doesn't make it good UI. Many of them may have gone through exactly what I went through and just didn't say anything. Again, did you solicit feedback from your customers? Did you reach out for any professional UI help? Saying you haven't received a complaint about something and that makes it a good design decision doesn't equate in my mind. I'm sure you find bugs in CP that your customers never mentioned before. Does that mean they were never problems at all? Of course not. It just means either no one bothered to say anything, or no one knew.

Quote:
"I have had real, measurable, noticeable frustrations using the product in certain situations where the tabbed interface has burned me."

doesn't really tell me much. I don't understand exactly what problem you have had. If you would describe it, perhaps I could help.
Perhaps I wasn't clear, but the tabbed interface has caused me the following issues:

• The quick report not generating "quickly" because of the need to close the reporting module each time I want to generate a quick report.
  • Gamut changes not reflecting in CM in CP 2, although this specific item was addressed in CP 3.

I'm just trying to help, Tom. Really, I am. I want the product to be better, and I think you could make changes to make the product much more accessible to end-users. I'm not sure you are open to making sweeping UI changes. Maybe you are and maybe you aren't. Still, all I can do is tell you my experience with the product. What you do with it after that is up to you.
post #280 of 1727 Old 01-18-2016, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
As far as the resolution goes I have found a fix that works well. This scaling has been a problem with other problems as well on my laptop with a 3200 x 1800 display. The fix that works for me when using one of these programs is to set the resolution to half on each dimension. So the laptop when using these is set 1600x900 and when it scales it just doubles each pixel and it doesn't mess up the scaling like it does if I try a non-multiple of my resolution. Other resolutions really mess up the scaling. I have other programs that I use that have this problem as well so it is not just a chromapure issue.
desray2k likes this.
post #281 of 1727 Old 01-18-2016, 11:24 AM
Knd
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hey Tom,
From the cal reports that I attached to my earlier post, my gamma wasn't very tight, so I tried today to improve it, but wasn't able to.

How do you make manual adjustments to a Lumagen when the Lumagen is the signal generator?

I then exited CP3 and restarted, selecting built in instead of the Lumagen, and went to the gamma module. A box popped up on the screen but was blank, just the blacked out space. I couldn't figure out how to close it. I exited again and restarted, selected the gamma module and the box was there again and was able to pull it off the side, so the module still worked. I set the Lumagen to service mode selected CMS gamma, 12 point toggled to full patterns and started making adjustments with the Lumagen remote. When finished the changes did not take as there was no message on screen that changes were made. I saved it anyhow, but when I ran the gamma measurements again they matched what I got through auto-cal.

Not sure what I did wrong.
post #282 of 1727 Old 01-18-2016, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knd View Post
From the cal reports that I attached to my earlier post, my gamma wasn't very tight, so I tried today to improve it, but wasn't able to.

How do you make manual adjustments to a Lumagen when the Lumagen is the signal generator?

I then exited CP3 and restarted, selecting built in instead of the Lumagen, and went to the gamma module. A box popped up on the screen but was blank, just the blacked out space. I couldn't figure out how to close it. I exited again and restarted, selected the gamma module and the box was there again and was able to pull it off the side, so the module still worked. I set the Lumagen to service mode selected CMS gamma, 12 point toggled to full patterns and started making adjustments with the Lumagen remote. When finished the changes did not take as there was no message on screen that changes were made. I saved it anyhow, but when I ran the gamma measurements again they matched what I got through auto-cal.

Not sure what I did wrong.
The box you are talking about is the internal test pattern generator. Make sure on the home page that you select the radio button next to the Lumagen if that is the signal generator you want to use. The manual control tool is linked on the Home page as well. Just click Manual Control above "Signal Generators."
Knd likes this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #283 of 1727 Old 01-18-2016, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox15 View Post
Perhaps I wasn't clear, but the tabbed interface has caused me the following issues:

• The quick report not generating "quickly" because of the need to close the reporting module each time I want to generate a quick report.
  • Gamut changes not reflecting in CM in CP 2, although this specific item was addressed in CP 3.
Neither of these issues have anything to do with the tabbed interface. The report issue is due to the fact that all reports are generated by the same viewer and it can show only one report at a time. We may be able to improve this, but this issue would exist whether we had a tabbed interface or not.
The second issue was just a refresh problem that, again, is unrelated to the tabbed interface. As you see, we fixed that and retained the tabs. I really think you are barking up the wrong tree on this one.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #284 of 1727 Old 01-18-2016, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I dunno, I have not yet used CP3 but I have looked at it. Seems pretty clear to me what the icons mean and the one or two I had a question about became clear when I opened the page (and I see there are tool tips as well). I have no issues with the tabbed interface either. I agree it would be nice if the SW was resolution independent and hopefully Tom and his team can get that accomplished in 3.2. (better yet make a Mac OSX version and the Mac users can quite bitching about resolution issues ) I hope to be able to calibrate my projector in the next week or so and may have further questions or comments then. In the meantime, looks fine to me Tom.

Geof
post #285 of 1727 Old 01-18-2016, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Thumbs up

Quote:
Download madVR. It contains a utility called madLevelsTweaker.exe. Run that utility on the target display. Check the checkbox that says force 0-255. You may or may not have to re-boot.
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Dave Hancock
post #286 of 1727 Old 01-18-2016, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Tom, are there any changes in CP3 with regard to the Colorimeter Research meters and the initialize options?

Is it still like what you see below, showing only Auto, Manual and None for sync mode? Or has anything been added, like a dropdown box showing a list of saved offsets, for example, for the CR-100?

Last edited by Pres2play; 06-14-2017 at 07:59 PM.
post #287 of 1727 Old 01-18-2016, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
Tom, are there any changes in CP3 with regard to the Colorimeter Research meters and the initialize options?

Is it still like what you see below, showing only Auto, Manual and None for sync mode? Or has anything been added, like a dropdown box showing a list of saved offsets, for example, for the CR-100?

No change in this regard. BTW, you don't need this in CP or any other 3-party software. If you select one of the CR correction matrices in the CR App that choice is written to the probe, so when you initialize the probe in CP it will automatically use that correction. It will keep using it until or unless you select a different one.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #288 of 1727 Old 01-19-2016, 02:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 392
True, but I'd like to see this feature if at all possible, mostly for reassurance. Right now what I do is select NONE from the CR App and then run the meter correction in LS or CP each time.
post #289 of 1727 Old 01-19-2016, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Neither of these issues have anything to do with the tabbed interface. The report issue is due to the fact that all reports are generated by the same viewer and it can show only one report at a time. We may be able to improve this, but this issue would exist whether we had a tabbed interface or not.
The second issue was just a refresh problem that, again, is unrelated to the tabbed interface. As you see, we fixed that and retained the tabs. I really think you are barking up the wrong tree on this one.
I don't want to lambaste this point because I think you have your mind made up regardless of feedback, but you see it as a refresh issue because you are trying to work within the tabs. You aren't thinking in terms of "what would happen if the tabs were not there." If the module is closed and reopened a refresh is forced from what I see, and there is no need to worry about triggering refreshes in tabs that are open.

Maybe I'm not explaining this right, so let me try another way. Just for argument's sake, picture that you change the code so that each time you click a module all other open tabs are closed. You would obviously need to change some of the code so that live data is written to the XML or stored in RAM, but for most modules like GS and CG, this is clearly already done since reopening the module doesn't result in a loss of data. Boom--instantly the issue of color gamut changes in CP 2 is solved. Instantly the issue of quick reports in CP 3 is solved. Instantly the confusion of having buttons that do exactly the same thing as the tabs above is solved. Other refresh issues that we aren't aware of are solved. The product is more accessible to new users, bugs are resolved, and the interface is streamlined. What exactly is given up in return? The ability to click on tabs at the top that no one likely clicks on anyway? Seems like a good trade to me . . .

Either way, I do not think you are as open to change as you say you are. People have constantly recommended that you bring in a professional just to give this a look over from a UI/UX POV. I do not know if it is because you do not believe there is room for improvement, you do not want to spend the money, you are worried they won't agree with your view, or what, but I think that just isn't going to happen. I think that is a massive mistake, but such is life, and the product moves forward. I tried to help. That's all I can do. I wish you the best.
post #290 of 1727 Old 01-19-2016, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
I don't want to lambaste this point because I think you have your mind made up regardless of feedback, but you see it as a refresh issue because you are trying to work within the tabs. You aren't thinking in terms of "what would happen if the tabs were not there." If the module is closed and reopened a refresh is forced from what I see, and there is no need to worry about triggering refreshes in tabs that are open.

Maybe I'm not explaining this right, so let me try another way. Just for argument's sake, picture that you change the code so that each time you click a module all other open tabs are closed. You would obviously need to change some of the code so that live data is written to the XML or stored in RAM, but for most modules like GS and CG, this is clearly already done since reopening the module doesn't result in a loss of data. Boom--instantly the issue of color gamut changes in CP 2 is solved. Instantly the issue of quick reports in CP 3 is solved. Instantly the confusion of having buttons that do exactly the same thing as the tabs above is solved. Other refresh issues that we aren't aware of are solved. The product is more accessible to new users, bugs are resolved, and the interface is streamlined. What exactly is given up in return? The ability to click on tabs at the top that no one likely clicks on anyway? Seems like a good trade to me . . .

Either way, I do not think you are as open to change as you say you are. People have constantly recommended that you bring in a professional just to give this a look over from a UI/UX POV. I do not know if it is because you do not believe there is room for improvement, you do not want to spend the money, you are worried they won't agree with your view, or what, but I think that just isn't going to happen. I think that is a massive mistake, but such is life, and the product moves forward. I tried to help. That's all I can do. I wish you the best.
Or, maybe, others don't quite see things quite the same way as you. Is the UI perfect? No. Is it horrible? No. Would you rather pay $79 for an upgrade - or more if Tom were to bring in a UI expert?
Knd likes this.

Geof
post #291 of 1727 Old 01-19-2016, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2506 Post(s)
Liked: 2028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post
Or, maybe, others don't quite see things quite the same way as you. Is the UI perfect? No. Is it horrible? No. Would you rather pay $79 for an upgrade - or more if Tom were to bring in a UI expert?
Well, there's so much good UI out there, it's not hard to "get inspired" and get a great headstart...

If the beta cycle continued, there could have been a UI discussion, and many supporters could have provided comment and contribution. But it went dark at the end of April last year.

I did email Tom yesterday with some crude wire frames to propose a different, flatter, more unified, and simple UI direction. It's nowhere close to a complete layout, and Tom may simply not care for it, which is fine. But my point is had the beta program had a distinct UI stage, I (and I'm sure others) could and would have freely contributed help or ideas.

I think Tom is one of the best guys on this forum, and has always been a tireless help to all of us. A discussion of the UI is not personal.

Would I have paid more? Well, yes, though the caveat is good UI should be a baseline not a bonus. But yes, I would have paid up to $150 for the upgrade with a high-end UI and and strong feature upgrades (including improvements in auto cal, which apparently hasn't been touched yet).
firefox15 likes this.

UPDATED 4/29/17 Thrang's Home Theater (for now...)
Sony VPL-VW5000es • Panamorph Paladin DCR • Trinnov Altitude 16 • Crown DCIn amplifiers • JBL M2 (LCR-LW-RW) • JBL S2S-EX subwoofers x2 • JBL SCL-4 (side/rear surrounds) • JBL SCS12 (x4) SCS8 (x2) TH/RH/TM • Lumagen Radiance Pro • Panasonic UB820 • Apple TV 4k • Synology RAID (45 TB total storage) • RTI control system

Last edited by thrang; 01-19-2016 at 06:20 AM.
post #292 of 1727 Old 01-19-2016, 06:16 AM
Knd
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I got CP3 as a free upgrade to 2.5.7 which I purchased. V3 is a significant upgrade - much easier to use, much more intuitive, fewer settings to check, etc.

I couldn't be more pleased with the new version. Now I just need to learn it better.
davehancock and rolling01 like this.
post #293 of 1727 Old 01-19-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post
I never said the UI was "horrible," so no, I don't believe that. The UI is decent. I'm just trying to offer suggestions to make it better. I feel it is difficult to explain my reasoning over a forum, so I'm just trying to clarify my position. That's all. I'm not trying to be combative with Tom. He has obviously been very helpful on the forums--way more than I will ever be.

And yes, if it took a price increase because of Tom's cost to hire a UI designer, I think that is the right path. In my opinion, people today expect a polished interface. There is no reason that companies like CNET (or shows like HD Nation or other websites/shows) couldn't use CP instead of CalMAN to calibrate their displays since it is just as capable, but they probably aren't going to use it with the interface in its current form. Presentation matters. Polish the interface and see how much more business rolls in from corporations. I bet the UI investment is realized in no time. Even if companies didn't spend another dime, I would be willing to pay more for a better UI. Those that don't care about UI at all can use HCFR.
post #294 of 1727 Old 01-19-2016, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The UI is decent. I'm just trying to offer suggestions to make it better.
I, for one, do not see how eliminating tabs will "make it better."

I would like to remind everyone that Tom has been an isf calibrator for a long time and created ChromaPure with the calibration workflow needs of calibration in mind.
hungro and Knd like this.

Dave Hancock
post #295 of 1727 Old 01-19-2016, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
I am going to load ChromaPure on my HP Pavilion 11-H110NR, so I can use internal patterns when calibrating my VT60 (thru HDMI). I currently have an HTPC connected to the TV as well and I want to make sure I run the utility on the correct device.

The target display you reference is the PC with ChromaPure installed, correct?
post #296 of 1727 Old 01-19-2016, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
I am going to load ChromaPure on my HP Pavilion 11-H110NR, so I can use internal patterns when calibrating my VT60 (HDMI). I currently have an HTPC connected to the TV as well and I want to make sure I run the utility on the correct device.

post #297 of 1727 Old 01-19-2016, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slosvt View Post
I am going to load ChromaPure on my HP Pavilion 11-H110NR, so I can use internal patterns when calibrating my VT60 (HDMI). I currently have an HTPC connected to the TV as well and I want to make sure I run the utility on the correct device.

No, the display you are calibrating.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #298 of 1727 Old 01-19-2016, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Exclamation

[quote=TomHuffman;40790922]
Quote:

Quote:
No, the display you are calibrating.

CAUTION: I just tried madLevelsTweaker.exe and it screwed things up! It apparently installed on my computer associated with the main display and deleted my ability to set the scaling so that ChromaPure3 displays properly on my computer (a problem that only affect a few displays). Deleting tweaklevels did not fix that. So I had to revert to an earlier safepoint.

I suspect that somehow I ran madLevelsTweaker in the regular screen and didn't move it to the display under test before opening it. I haven't yet fully explored this, but wanted to issue a caution first!

Dave Hancock
post #299 of 1727 Old 01-19-2016, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=davehancock;40793162]
Quote:

CAUTION: I just tried madLevelsTweaker.exe and it screwed things up! It apparently installed on my computer associated with the main display and deleted my ability to set the scaling so that ChromaPure3 displays properly on my computer (a problem that only affect a few displays). Deleting tweaklevels did not fix that. So I had to revert to an earlier safepoint.

I suspect that somehow I ran madLevelsTweaker in the regular screen and didn't move it to the display under test before opening it. I haven't yet fully explored this, but wanted to issue a caution first!
I can't imagine how this utility could affect scaling. All it is designed to do is force the video card into outputting 0-255 over the HDMI port. Also, running the utility again and simply unchecking the 0-255 option should revert the card to default operation.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #300 of 1727 Old 01-19-2016, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 459 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked: 3040
Quote:

The madLevelsTweaker tool does not "install" on a computer, and certainly not by itself, as you make it sound. It's a very very simple portable tool which (when you change the checkbox and click "apply") just changes one registry value. Deleting the exe doesn't change anything. The proper way to undo the change is to run the tool again, toggle the check box and click "apply" again. That should revert the change. You could do the same thing with regedit yourself without using the tool. madLevelsTweaker just makes it more comfortable because it is able to automatically find the right registry path for the monitor you want to tweak (the registry often contains several monitors).

If you ran the tool on the wrong PC, or for the wrong monitor, that would probably classify as a simple user error. I mean what more can I do than let the tool's first text line say "Please move this window to the target monitor", and to show all the information I could find about the GPU and display you're about to tweak? Obviously the "target monitor" is the monitor you want to calibrate, so you have to run the tool on the PC which is physically connected to the display you want to calibrate, and if it's a multi-monitor setup you have to move the madLevelsTweaker window to the monitor you want to calibrate, before pressing "apply". I guess I could make the first text line of the tool's window bold and bright red and let it blink on and off to get your attention, but is that *really* necessary?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page