The Official ChromaPure 3 thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 347Likes

post #361 of 1763 Old 02-03-2016, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post
Other bugs revealed.
1. Load saved xml session file. Close all tabs, open first pre calibration greyscale will see exception thrown, see attached
2. Disconect color meter from pc, open software, select your colormeter from home start page, choose mode (any mode), click connect, message will prompt "The selected meter was not detected", click ok other message prompts "You are now ready to calibrate your display". Navigate to any module you can click measure it will measure everything with 0.
3. Contrast measurements not saved into the session. View -> Calibration -> Contrast everything is set to 0. Those measurements are also not included in the report.
4. In report it doesn't display Luminance in selected measurement, I've selected in fL but shows in cd/m2
5. In greyscale window after report been loaded, I'm going to settings and changing Luminance to be displayed in fL, system throws exception after I click settings button again.

Exception Overflow Stack:
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
1. This error has nothing to do with loading a session file. I discovered this the other day. It occurs any time you open the grayscale module, close it, and then open it again. This will be fixed in the next release, but it is a benign error message. Just click Continue and the workflow is uninterrupted.
2. The only problem with what you report here is the follow-up message "You are now ready to calibrate your display". Being informed that the meter was not connected and subsequently getting zeros when trying to measure is the expected result. I suppose we could add a "No meter detected" message.
3. Contrast data taken in the Contrast module was never saved in the session file nor used in the report. It wasn't in v2 either. If you want to save contrast data in the session file and have it appear in the report, then you have to measure black in the pre and post-calibration grayscale modules just as with v2.
4. It is not correct to say that the report does not display luminance. What you are reporting is that it does not display luminance in the format you used during calibration. This will be fixed, but this was the case in v2 as well. BTW, this is only relevant in the Gamma page in the report. This is the only page that displays absolute luminance. Elsewhere only relative luminance is displayed.
5. This is either simply a duplicate report of the same error in (1) or I cannot reproduce this.
Import session file
Open grayscale module
Run a report
Return to grayscale tab and change luminance from cd/m2 to fL
I get no error.
However, if you close the grayscale tab and then reopen, then I do get the error. This is the same benign error as reported in (1).

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1763 Old 02-03-2016, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knd View Post
Tom,
Tried multiple gamma runs yesterday with V3.0.4. I may have double hit the pencil symbol or the check button, but at some point I had two check boxes next to each other rather than a + on the left and a check on the right. May be a small bug or may be my fat fingers.

Had no problem getting the results but did notice that both boxes had check symbol.
Since you are not sure what you did here, I will take no action at this time. If this occurs again and you can reproduce the error, then please report again with steps I can take to duplicate it.
Knd likes this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #363 of 1763 Old 02-03-2016, 06:21 AM
.NET Solution Architect

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
4. It is not correct to say that the report does not display luminance. What you are reporting is that it does not display luminance in the format you used during calibration. This will be fixed, but this was the case in v2 as well. BTW, this is only relevant in the Gamma page in the report. This is the only page that displays absolute luminance. Elsewhere only relative luminance is displayed.
I've said In report it doesn't display Luminance in selected measurement.
Would be good to have checkbox enable/disable inbuilt generator at the top toolbar where you select pattern, very inconvenient coming back to Home tab and triggering it on/off from there.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 1763 Old 02-03-2016, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Deleted posts

For some bizarre reason several posts have been deleted from this thread. The posts were about recording calibration settings. I posted a file that people could use to record settings. If anyone wants this, then just contact me.

NOTE: OK, I was just being paranoid. The posts are in the v2 thread.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Last edited by TomHuffman; 02-03-2016 at 12:40 PM.
post #365 of 1763 Old 02-03-2016, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
For some bizarre reason several posts have been deleted from this thread. The posts were about recording calibration settings. I posted a file that people could use to record settings. If anyone wants this, then just contact me.
I for one would prefer it to be recorded in the program so it can be included in the reports, etc... Otherwise I could wind up with several files and possibly not know which is which or goes with what display.
post #366 of 1763 Old 02-03-2016, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Collins View Post
I for one would prefer it to be recorded in the program so it can be included in the reports, etc... Otherwise I could wind up with several files and possibly not know which is which or goes with what display.
This data was never included in the calibration reports. The file I posted in the v2 thread includes the display information. You can keep them separate just by saving them using your own naming convention including, for example, date and client. Back when I was doing calibrations professionally I would always deliver a calibration report and a settings report to the client. This file includes just about everything you need for the settings report. I can add more if requested.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #367 of 1763 Old 02-06-2016, 02:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 418
If using BT.1886 with my UHD led tv should I leave black level at 0.03 or the reading level of 0.01 which is taken as the screen turns off all side/back light?
Cheers.
post #368 of 1763 Old 02-06-2016, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quick feedback to v3, version 3.0.4:

- overall, it is definately worth those 79 USD. V3 layout/logic is a 50% less time consuming than v2. The reports are much calibrator/customer friendly. They are nicer, more comprehensive, but I still think they could look better though, less "Windows95".
- not having pdf maker embedded is a kind of a fail
- new postcal measurements within one session dont translate into reports ( after hitting "run report" button ). The reports dont pull new measurements into the reports, they always use the very first data.
- is it somehow possible to get contrast module back? Measuring ANSI contrast using checkerboard is a must on all displays
- will be there a "Settings" module added to custom reports? I dont want to create special settings in excel or anywhere else. The graphic layout of the reports + settings given to the customer should be the same.
- on Win8.1 x64, MS Net Framework 4.6.1 is needed ( 4.6.0 is not enough )
- is it ok to have 0.5sec integration time for id3? What settings are recommended for integration time + smoothing settings?
- reset button in each module please ( erase all data in particular module + go to white measurement )
post #369 of 1763 Old 02-06-2016, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
If using BT.1886 with my UHD led tv should I leave black level at 0.03 or the reading level of 0.01 which is taken as the screen turns off all side/back light?
Cheers.
Use 0.01

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #370 of 1763 Old 02-06-2016, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutotype View Post
- not having pdf maker embedded is a kind of a fail
Download and install
http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php
Create a report, click the print icon on the report toolbar, select the Bullzip pdf printer and you have a pdf version of the reports. If you have Windows 10 or the full version of Adobe Acrobat, then you have this already.
Quote:
- new postcal measurements within one session dont translate into reports ( after hitting "run report" button ). The reports dont pull new measurements into the reports, they always use the very first data.
No. If you want to run multiple session reports, then you just have to close the report tab in between each run. In the next build you won't have to do this but for now you do.
Quote:
- is it somehow possible to get contrast module back? Measuring ANSI contrast using checkerboard is a must on all displays.
It is still there. View, Calibration, Contrast.
Quote:
- will be there a "Settings" module added to custom reports? I dont want to create special settings in excel or anywhere else. The graphic layout of the reports + settings given to the customer should be the same.
Settings are just text. There is no graphics layout. Did you see the Excel template I posted in the v2 thread?
Quote:
- on Win8.1 x64, MS Net Framework 4.6.1 is needed ( 4.6.0 is not enough )
I know. For some reason the installation program points to 4.6. We will fix this in the next build.
Quote:
- is it ok to have 0.5sec integration time for id3? What settings are recommended for integration time + smoothing settings?
You can select anything you like. Personally, I wouldn't go below 0.6. Feel free to experiment.
Quote:
- reset button in each module please ( erase all data in particular module + go to white measurement )
There already is. Click the Module Settings button and select "Erase all data from this module"

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #371 of 1763 Old 02-07-2016, 01:48 AM
Advanced Member

I've had Chromapure 3 a few days now and i can't use it, i set the software up so it doesn't auto connect to my i1 Display 3 as instructed by RickyJ and he said if i have any problems to let him know, well i have, and i did and well... I find myself here looking for answers.
The example i am about to show you is using identical settings in Chromapure 2.5.8 and 3.04, that is Profile set to Samsung Led TV, pro corrections enabled and CRT mode set with read set to 8 as per official instruction.
Reading the exact same pattern from the exact same source with no changes made, 100% white pattern was read first on chromapure 3.04.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chromapure2cms.png
Views:	153
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	1235673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chromapure3cms.png
Views:	151
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	1235681  
post #372 of 1763 Old 02-07-2016, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've had Chromapure 3 a few days now and i can't use it, i set the software up so it doesn't auto connect to my i1 Display 3 as instructed by RickyJ and he said if i have any problems to let him know, well i have, and i did and well... I find myself here looking for answers.
The example i am about to show you is using identical settings in Chromapure 2.5.8 and 3.04, that is Profile set to Samsung Led TV, pro corrections enabled and CRT mode set with read set to 8 as per official instruction.
Reading the exact same pattern from the exact same source with no changes made, 100% white pattern was read first on chromapure 3.04.
I have a simple answer for you. The RGB mode in Color Management is broken. All modes in 3.0.4 are stuck on HSL. We will release 3.0.5 in a few days that will fix this.

EDIT: On second thought, the issue isn't the RGB error bars in Color Management (which are currently broken), but rather the discrepancy in dE values you see, right? I think that the problem is that you have CP3 setup to measure 75% but you are using 100% color test patterns. In CP2 if you are setup to use 75%, then you use 75% white and 75% color test patterns. In CP3 if you are setup to use 75%, then you always use 100% white but 75% color test patterns. In 100% mode CP2 and CP3 work the same.

In the 75% mode, try using 75% color with 100% white reference and report back.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Last edited by TomHuffman; 02-07-2016 at 03:01 AM.
post #373 of 1763 Old 02-07-2016, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Hi tom, I havnt had time to check this but you are wrong, in cp3 rec709 is set not 75% of rec 709, as you can see from the chart the points are almost correct, and reporting correctly to the correct position on the wheel, for some reason it throws a massive delta error on luminosity.
If it was set as 75% the measured points would not be in the square targets.
Sorry for the less than technical response I hope you understand what I mean (currently mobile).
post #374 of 1763 Old 02-07-2016, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi tom, I havnt had time to check this but you are wrong, in cp3 rec709 is set not 75% of rec 709, as you can see from the chart the points are almost correct, and reporting correctly to the correct position on the wheel, for some reason it throws a massive delta error on luminosity.
If it was set as 75% the measured points would not be in the square targets.
Sorry for the less than technical response I hope you understand what I mean (currently mobile).
I'm sorry I don't. I wasn't referring to the 75% of Rec. 709 gamut. I was referring to setting the color intensity to 75%.

It "throws a massive delta error on luminosity" on your PC because, I think, as I have already suggested to you that you have a bad installation. Once you perform the clean reinstall as I have suggested we can test this conclusion.

Edit: Forget the advice about reinstalling. This is not necessary. Just use 75% color with 100% white reference when selecting 75% intensity on the Home page. That will resolve your problem.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Last edited by TomHuffman; 02-10-2016 at 01:08 AM.
post #375 of 1763 Old 02-08-2016, 06:49 AM
.NET Solution Architect

Nothing to do with Installation, your CP 3.0.4 grey scale run is completely different to version 2.5.8 I feed signal via Radiance Lumagen and in version 3 it is different to version 2 you can check it yourself multiple times, just do calibration using 2.5.8 and check postcalibration in version 3 by measuring 100% white as reference as you say in your manual. I stick to version 2.5.8 as version 3.0.4 sorry but it cannot be used.
post #376 of 1763 Old 02-08-2016, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post
Nothing to do with Installation, your CP 3.0.4 grey scale run is completely different to version 2.5.8 I feed signal via Radiance Lumagen and in version 3 it is different to version 2 you can check it yourself multiple times, just do calibration using 2.5.8 and check postcalibration in version 3 by measuring 100% white as reference as you say in your manual. I stick to version 2.5.8 as version 3.0.4 sorry but it cannot be used.
Nope. Two consecutive runs, CP2 and then CP3. Virtually identical. If you are seeing differences it is either due to a difference in configuration between the two or fluctuations in the display response.

There are two differences between CP2 and CP3 that you need to pay attention to that may account for some differences. In cp2, gamma was mostly fixed. In cp3 is is user-selectable throughout. In cp2 the meter read modes were fixed. In cp3, you can adjust this (integration time, read mode, etc.)

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Last edited by TomHuffman; 02-08-2016 at 06:31 PM.
post #377 of 1763 Old 02-08-2016, 08:11 PM
Knd
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
In cp2, gamma was mostly fixed. In cp3 is is user-selectable throughout.
Tom,
Could you explain this in more detail for us novices?
post #378 of 1763 Old 02-08-2016, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Tom,
Could you explain this in more detail for us novices?
In CP3 there is a gamma selector in the settings module. What you select there applies gamma throughout the entire application. In CP2 we had a few gamma selectors that operated on a module-specific basis only. One of the criticisms I received for v2 was that what was called adv color management (which is now just saturations) had a fixed gamma. Also, version 2 ignored gamma when using 75% test patterns. It just compensated by using a 75% white reference. In v3 the white reference is always 100% and the expected chromaticity and luminance of a 75% color will vary somewhat depending on the gamma selected.
Knd likes this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #379 of 1763 Old 02-09-2016, 12:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 1591
This is a carryover from V2: when I am calibrating a front PJ with the reference spectro pointed at the screen and the i1D3 pointed at the lens, after I take reference readings with the spectro I disconnect it and try to connect to the i1D3 with the diffusor in place as it should be when facing the lens. However, CP pops up and tells me to remove the diffusor. I have to remove it to connect and then replace it before I take the readings. It never tells me to replace the diffusor. This seems confusing. Wouldn't it be better to allow it to initialize with the diffusor in place?

touring ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 and Klein K-10
Latest reviews:JVC RS540, JVC RS3000, Sony VPL-VW695ES
Copied settings measured, Review archive
post #380 of 1763 Old 02-09-2016, 03:28 AM
.NET Solution Architect

Hi Tom,

I'll rerun it again and will provide you results, both from cp2 and cp3.

Cheers,

Serge.
post #381 of 1763 Old 02-09-2016, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post
This is a carryover from V2: when I am calibrating a front PJ with the reference spectro pointed at the screen and the i1D3 pointed at the lens, after I take reference readings with the spectro I disconnect it and try to connect to the i1D3 with the diffusor in place as it should be when facing the lens. However, CP pops up and tells me to remove the diffusor. I have to remove it to connect and then replace it before I take the readings. It never tells me to replace the diffusor. This seems confusing. Wouldn't it be better to allow it to initialize with the diffusor in place?
Chad, I can't repeat this. If you have a standard or calibrated i1D3, you will have a front projection lens mode. Select that mode and initialize with the diffusor in place and it is fine. You only get the error when attempting to initialize in anything other than the projector lens mode.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #382 of 1763 Old 02-10-2016, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I have run across a few issues I want to alert everyone to.

1. If you select 75% intensity on the Home page, then the application expects a 100% white reference and a 75% color test pattern. This is not a problem for those using any type of automated signal generator, which will automatically provide the right pattern. However, it is a problem for those manually selecting test patterns from a disc.

2. I think that we have resolved a long-standing issue. We now have a fix for the regional formats problem that required European users to change format settings in Windows. What we have done is to force CP3 to use U.S. formats (periods for decimal places and commas for list separators) in the application regardless of the global regional settings in Windows. European users will no longer have to make any manual adjustments in Windows to get CP3 to function properly.

3. We have also found at least a temporary fix for the issue that has been discussed here at length, which is how CP3 renders on small high-resolution displays. We have found a way to force Windows to automatically scale the screen when CP3 is running to allow it to display correctly. Again, this removes the need for any manual adjustments in Windows. This is only a temporary fix, because all it does is force a lower resolution, which will make CP3 appear less sharp than it would if the native resolution were used. Nonetheless, it is a step forward. I hope to have a permanent solution in 3.1.

These fixes will be in 3.0.5, which will be be released later this week. 3.0.5 will contain all of the remaining bug fixes for 3.0, including full DVDO Duo functionality (including auto-cal).

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #383 of 1763 Old 02-10-2016, 01:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
I have run across a few issues I want to alert everyone to.

1. If you select 75% intensity on the Home page, then the application expects a 100% white reference and a 75% color test pattern. This is not a problem for those using any type of automated signal generator, which will automatically provide the right pattern. However, it is a problem for those manually selecting test patterns from a disc.

2. I think that we have resolved a long-standing issue. We now have a fix for the regional formats problem that required European users to change format settings in Windows. What we have done is to force CP3 to use U.S. formats (periods for decimal places and commas for list separators) in the application regardless of the global regional settings in Windows. European users will no longer have to make any manual adjustments in Windows to get CP3 to function properly.

3. We have also found at least a temporary fix for the issue that has been discussed here at length, which is how CP3 renders on small high-resolution displays. We have found a way to force Windows to automatically scale the screen when CP3 is running to allow it to display correctly. Again, this removes the need for any manual adjustments in Windows. This is only a temporary fix, because all it does is force a lower resolution, which will make CP3 appear less sharp than it would if the native resolution were used. Nonetheless, it is a step forward. I hope to have a permanent solution in 3.1.

These fixes will be in 3.0.5, which will be be released later this week. 3.0.5 will contain all of the remaining bug fixes for 3.0, including full DVDO Duo functionality (including auto-cal).
Tanks Tom for the update.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #384 of 1763 Old 02-12-2016, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

ChromaPure 3.0.5 Released

ChromaPure 3.0.5 has been released. It is free for all licensed v3 users.

This build resolves all of the known bugs and missing features from the original v3 release. It also resolves a couple of long-standing issues that significantly pre-date v3.

The Release Notes and download link are available on our News page.
desray2k and Plutotype like this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #385 of 1763 Old 02-12-2016, 03:04 PM
Knd
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

This build resolves all of the known bugs and missing features from the original v3 release. It also resolves a couple of long-standing issues that significantly pre-date v3.

Thanks Tom.
Please confirm if I need to follow the clean install instructions when going from 3.04 to 3.05.
post #386 of 1763 Old 02-12-2016, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Tom.
Please confirm if I need to follow the clean install instructions when going from 3.04 to 3.05.
This should not be necessary. If you see problems use the new Repair Settings option in the File menu.
Knd likes this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #387 of 1763 Old 02-12-2016, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Anti virus doesn't like link and won't download then can't display page.Happens on win 7 and win 10 anyone else having trouble.

Last edited by rolling01; 02-12-2016 at 10:56 PM.
post #388 of 1763 Old 02-12-2016, 10:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling01 View Post
Anti virus doesn't like link and won't download, anyone else having trouble.
Just disable the anti virus s/w to perform the download.

post #389 of 1763 Old 02-12-2016, 11:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tom, I just install the new version of CP3. Unfortunately the pattern generator for dvdo iscan duo did not work. I have tried on the older ChromaPure ver 2.58 and the pattern generation for the auto calibration work. But not the CP3. Pls advise.

By the way, what is the default baud rate for the serial comm in CP3? In version 2, there is selection for different baud rate. But CP3 doesn't. For DVDO iscan to work in tandem with the CP3. It has to have the same COM and baud rate to work.

post #390 of 1763 Old 02-12-2016, 11:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Never mind, problem solved... It is indeed the baud rate. I set it to default 19200. And now the signal generator works.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page