AVS Forum banner

The Official ChromaPure 3 thread

211K views 2K replies 213 participants last post by  Ellebob 
#1 · (Edited)
ChromaPure 3 will be released (finally!) in the next few days. In advance of the official release, I want to begin posting some demos that provide some indication about the look and feature set of the new product.

The ChromaPure 3 User Interface

See Demo

#41 · (Edited)
I have a lot of e-mails so rather than respond to them one at a time let me answer general questions here.
1. Yes, you will need a new license file for v. 3.
2. The upgrade fee includes any add-ons (e.g., auto-cal) and all versions you may have.
3. I haven't issued any new license files yet because I have been sleeping.

Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control I am currently traveling, so my delivery of new licenses will be slow until I return to home base Friday. I'll issue some licenses in the morning and then again at night before turning in. By Friday evening I should be able to issue licenses quite fast. One of the consequences of being on the road is that I do not have my database of existing licenses with me. Therefore, to expedite the upgrade, would those who have already ordered or who plan to order in the next couple of days please attach their existing license to an e-mail and send to support@chromapure.com along with the upgrade request.

I want to explain one aspect of v. 3 functionality that was not in the release notes. We have added an auto-connect feature to revision A i1D3 meters and AccuPel generators and Lumagen processors. What this means is that if you have any of these connected when you start-up the application it will connect automatically. The i1D3 defaults to the CRT mode. If you want it to start-up in a different mode, then click Disconnect, select the desired mode and then initialize as normal. It should remember that choice and use the new mode and the default connect option. BTW, you can turn this off in the i1D3 options panel if you prefer.

Edit: You have continue to have both v. 2 and v. 3 on the same PC and both will function fine. However, you cannot run both simultaneously.

Edit 2: I just tested auto-connect and it turns out that it does not work the first time you run the application, but will in all subsequent sessions (it has to write values to the configuration file to function). So the first time you run v. 3, connect the meter as you normally would. Also, I found the first bug. The selected mode does not appear in the mode drop down at run time, even though it is active.

#50 ·
I have found several small problems with the i1D3 auto-connect. None of them are show-stoppers and all have workarounds, but cumulatively they render the feature not worth the trouble. These issues should all be easy to fix, so they'll be in our first bug-fix release. In the meantime, please disable this feature. Start CP with the meter not plugged in, and then uncheck "Enable auto-connect" (Settings, i1 Display 3). Then you just initialize the meter just as you did in CP2.

For Lumagen users, plug the Lumagen in and then the first time you run the app just select the Lumagen from the Signal Generators drop-down and then click Connect. That's it. If you keep the Lumagen plugged in all future sessions will enable the Lumagen automatically with no user intervention needed.

#51 ·
Dvdo tpg

I have CP3 Professional. The DVDO TPG, while supported in this version, is not in the list of selectable signal generators within the program. The DVDO Duo is listed, but not the TPG.
Also, I don't see a contrast module. Where is contrast measured?

#52 ·
I have CP3 Professional. The DVDO TPG, while supported in this version, is not in the list of selectable signal generators within the program. The DVDO Duo is listed, but not the TPG.
Also, I don't see a contrast module. Where is contrast measured?
View, Calibration, Contrast.
That's a bug (the TPG missing). We'll get that fixed right away.

#65 ·
You will need a new license as desray2k said, but once you download it. Go to your downloads under the file system and you can click on the install CP 3 and it will install it. You can start it up, but it will be waiting for your SN import before it fully runs. I think it is just a security certificate issue. I am running Windows 10 myself.

#64 ·
Really looking forward to trying CP3, still waiting for the new license file but looks very good and I like the fact there is multiple measurements and references in each module. Something I thought would greatly enhance CP and there it is. I sent my email with my old license file 2 days ago and keep checking my email so I can try out what is new.

Great work Tom, as for the bugs I think that is to be expected. I have yet to see many software titles that do not have them out of the gate. As long as the core functionality is intact, the rest should not be too hard to debug.

#67 ·
Hey! New version is very nice!
But..... Am I blind or
Calibrating gamma I get only the target gamma and the
Graphical rapresentation WITHOUT the target as Y (cd/m2)??

In 2.58 version I found very usefull the target expressed in cd/m2 as a more accurate Indication that helped me to reach the best compromise.

Could you mind to help me to understand better?

#70 ·
Hey! New version is very nice!
But..... Am I blind or
Calibrating gamma I get only the target gamma and the
Graphical rapresentation WITHOUT the target as Y (cd/m2)??

In 2.58 version I found very usefull the target expressed in cd/m2 as a more accurate Indication that helped me to reach the best compromise.

Could you mind to help me to understand better?
That's right. You have a point I hadn't considered. Right now, there is a dE column, which is redundant. I think we can easily replace that with Target Y.

#78 ·
Tom, do you think you'll get through the rest of the license upgrades today? I sent mine over Wednesday. Thanks.

#79 · (Edited)
Hi Tom,

I may have picked up a couple of bugs with the built in signal generator.

Firstly only full fields and Windows seems to work, selecting APL and small windows just outputs a full field.

Secondly something strange is going on with the HDMI output - on Chromapure 2 and Calman I can get my laptop to output 16-235 no problem and I have verified this against pattern discs. CP3 however is doing something with the signal and no matter what I set the graphics card to a 0% gray window is visible against the black background - I may have solved this by disabling YCbCr on the Intel HD graphics control panel - 16 black is no longer visible unless I up the brightness.

Thirdly the test pattern drop down option bar is a little buggy - For example if I try selecting a pattern without having already generated a test slide from within a calibration module it throws up an Unhandled exception saying "object reference not set to an instance of an object"
When I do have a test pattern open on the extended desktop the drop down option bar no longer works and I have to drag the test pattern back to my laptop desktop before it will work again. Finally all the test patterns appear to be cropped for example the brightness pattern only displays the letters BLAC and the sharpness cross is in the bottom right of the screen.
I'm using Windows 10 and .NET framework is updated and I have tried a clean install of CP3.

Edit - after a little more testing it appears that all drop down option boxes have a problem when there is a pattern open on the extended desktop as I am unable to change meter modes.

Further edit - the problem with the drop down boxes seems to be something to do with desktop scaling - when the extended desktop is set to the same resolution as the laptop then they work fine however the patterns are still cropped.

#80 ·
Hi Tom,

Edit - after a little more testing it appears that all drop down option boxes have a problem when there is a pattern open on the extended desktop as I am unable to change meter modes.

Further edit - the problem with the drop down boxes seems to be something to do with desktop scaling - when the extended desktop is set to the same resolution as the laptop then they work fine however the patterns are still cropped.
Ha! let me guess...yours is a Quad HD display or some really high resolution dpi...that's the problem for me as well. I have informed Tom about this while he helped me with my meter licence a while back. There is nothing much we can do except to play around with the desktop resolution. You may want to disable the high dpi option on CP3. I dun think there is nothing Tom can do about it...

#86 ·
To follow up, I was able to find a quick fix for the levels issue with the built-in test patterns.

Download madVR and run the utility MadLevelsTweaker.exe

Use that utility to force the HDMI output to 0-255 levels. This fixes the problem, at least it did on my laptop.

We will have more formal integration of this technology into ChromaPure in 3.1.

#93 ·
I see no evidence of "dE and RGB readings are bouncing all over the place". You are going to have to provide more detail. What module, what type of display, what type of measurement (continuous or single).

http://www.chromapure.com/bugtest/repeatability/repeatability.html

I did this test on an LCD. I then repeated it on a plasma with the same results.

#90 ·
Thanks for the new version!

Haven't made any measurements, yet. Gonna give it a go when I get a minute.

On the HOME screen where my Display3 is listed I have the mode option to select PLASMA.

If I select a mode on the home screen should I also, select the same mode in the settings options for the i1 Display 3? I don't have a PLASMA mode option in the settings menu, only: AIO, CRT & LCD. Does it matter if I select/deselect the AUTO CONNECT?

Please help,
Thanks
:confused:

#96 ·
Thanks for the new version!

If I select a mode on the home screen should I also, select the same mode in the settings options for the i1 Display 3? I don't have a PLASMA mode option in the settings menu, only: AIO, CRT & LCD. Does it matter if I select/deselect the AUTO CONNECT?

Please help,
Thanks
:confused:
Good question on the AIO, CRT & LCD mode. I'm using SONY VW500ES, which one should select? I read the help file for that segment and it appears that it is dependent on the model revision of your meter rather than the type of display? Quite confused here as well...

Sent from my Lenovo PB1-770M using Tapatalk