The Official ChromaPure 3 thread - Page 56 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 345Likes

post #1651 of 1727 Old 03-25-2019, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2921 Post(s)
Liked: 3569
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTracey View Post
Sorry Ted, now I'm confused (or more than I was)....

EDR? I'm guessing the C6 (and i1Display Pro) have a default calibration table; then SpectraCAL adds correction files for different displays (EDR?)

My understanding is ChromaPure does support/work with the i1Display Pro. From your comments it looks like I would need a spectro as well to create my own correction file(s) for my display(s), which I presume will ChromaPure allow?

Do I have this right? Thanks.
All i1Display PRO's (OEM / Retail / or Branded OEM like C6's) are calibrated from X-Rite (no other company can change the default factory calibration, so any NIST certification is just confirming that the meter is fine from the factory only, nothing more than a pass/fail test, since the meters are low cost and X-Rite is not providing any proof that they are certified, just the unit to unit variations performance is controlled, its not so large deviations like Spyder's).

X-Rite provide the EDR to software developers. When you select EDR file of a display tech, its combined with the factory calibration of the meter data and then its calculated the correction.

EDR files are X-Rite meters feature (ColorMunki Display/i1Display PRO), can't be used from for other brands of meters.

When you are using EDR, you expect that the meter is accurate, and because such colorimeters are low cost devices, there unit-per-unit variations (unit per unit variations are ignored, not counted when you are using EDR corrections.)

Because Tom have seen (and all of us also) that the results are better when you are using meter four color matrix correction tables using a reference spectro (so you correct the readings totally for a specific display type) he is equipping the i1Display III (called) with software offsets for many display types.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1727 Old 03-25-2019, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
All i1Display PRO's (OEM / Retail / or Branded OEM like C6's) are calibrated from X-Rite (no other company can change the default factory calibration, so any NIST certification is just confirming that the meter is fine from the factory only, nothing more than a pass/fail test, since the meters are low cost and X-Rite is not providing any proof that they are certified, just the unit to unit variations performance is controlled, its not so large deviations like Spyder's).

X-Rite provide the EDR to software developers. When you select EDR file of a display tech, its combined with the factory calibration of the meter data and then its calculated the correction.

EDR files are X-Rite meters feature (ColorMunki Display/i1Display PRO), can't be used from for other brands of meters.

When you are using EDR, you expect that the meter is accurate, and because such colorimeters are low cost devices, there unit-per-unit variations (unit per unit variations are ignored, not counted when you are using EDR corrections.)

Because Tom have seen (and all of us also) that the results are better when you are using meter four color matrix correction tables using a reference spectro (so you correct the readings totally for a specific display type) he is equipping the i1Display III (called) with software offsets for many display types.
Much appreciated Ted; I'm starting to get the feeling my next investment should be a reference spectro before a TPG!

Denon AVR-X7200WA | Oppo UDP-203, BDP-93
Paradigm Studio 60 Mains, CC-570 Center, (2) ADP-470 Surrounds | (4) Golden Ear Invisa HTR-7000 height | (2) SVS SB16-Ultra
Sony XBR-65A1E | Pioneer PRO-141FD | Panasonic TC-P42ST30
Apple TV 4K
post #1653 of 1727 Old 04-12-2019, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 833
ChromaPure 3.1.18 Released

ChromaPure 3.1.18 is now available for download from the ChromaPure News site. This release is free for all ChromaPure v3.x users.

This release includes support for a custom white point. NOTE: changing the white point will affect the Reference Color Gamut. In the vast majority of cases this option should be left alone. The application always returns to the default white point with each new calibration session. This release also adds support for the Adobe RGB gamut and a number of other enhancements and bug fixes. See the Release Notes on our News page for details.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1654 of 1727 Old 04-26-2019, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How long it takes for 4913 point autocal with mean 2x ?
post #1655 of 1727 Old 04-26-2019, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachmat-d View Post
How long it takes for 4913 point autocal with mean 2x ?
A very long time. Maybe 3-4 hours. I wouldn't recommend it. You'll get nearly identical results with a 729 point calibration that takes less than an hour.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1656 of 1727 Old 04-26-2019, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Thanks , TOM.
post #1657 of 1727 Old 05-16-2019, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 393
The target lines on several charts are printing blue again instead of gray. See Grayscale Delta-E and CCT charts.

Thanks
post #1658 of 1727 Old 05-16-2019, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
The target lines on several charts are printing blue again instead of gray. See Grayscale Delta-E and CCT charts.

Thanks
Not what I am seeing.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1659 of 1727 Old 05-17-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'll try reloading the latest release. Thanks Tom

Edit: oops, had an earlier version (3.1.16.45) running. I have 3.1.17.116 now and printing is fine.

Last edited by Pres2play; 05-19-2019 at 12:44 AM.
post #1660 of 1727 Old 05-25-2019, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I just updated the ChromaPure 3 user manual. It is available on our Support page.
giomania, leemathre and Pres2play like this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1661 of 1727 Old 05-28-2019, 05:03 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Question: When performing a Rec.2020 calibration (729 points) with a Lumagen Radiance Pro (default settings), is it supposed to show the 3D Color Gamut Options, Points: 9x9x9 in CMS 1 after calibration?

Background, if needed:

I attempted to perform an "SDR2020" calibration with 729 points on my JVC RS540 projector connected to a Lumagen Radiance Pro. This is the calibration type where ChromaPure is set for Rec.2020, and the Radiance Pro is set for SDR2020 colorspace on CMS1.

The problem is Lumagen guidance recommends using a blank input or disconnecting the source, so therefore, CMS0 was selected because there was no HDR material to set it to CMS1. I realized this, but attempted anyway, as I was thinking the ChromaPure Rec.2020 calibration process might trigger CMS1.

However, after this particular Rec.2020 calibration, in the following menu location: Menu→Output→CMS's→[CMS1]→Color Gamut→Options CMS 1, it is only showing Points: 8, which I think is the default setting in all the Radiance Pro CMS's. I do have Points: 9x9x9 for CMS0, but I think my prior Rec.709 calibration was just overwritten. Not a problem, as I can just reload that particular configuration file for the Radiance, as I have been saving them after each successful calibration run.

I am new to this, so there is a learning curve, so thanks for bearing with me.

Edit: I used another input, started the HDR source, and ran the calibration, and it created the 9x9x9 in CMS1, however, the colors are all jacked up on both displays connected to the Radiance. I just turned on the other display to see, then turned it off again.

This same exact effect happened to me the other day on an SDR calibration, and I was convinced it was a setting in the Lumagen, which I reverted and re-ran the calibration. However, now that it happened again, I just have to play around to see what works. I am re-running the calibration now to see if it works this time.

Mark

Last edited by giomania; 05-28-2019 at 12:57 PM.
post #1662 of 1727 Old 06-04-2019, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tom, will CP3 be upgraded for Dolby Vision calibration? Ryan just released his DV test pattern suite and I gotta try it.

Hopefully, Ryan will include a Chromapure work flow as well.

Last edited by Pres2play; 06-04-2019 at 01:56 PM.
post #1663 of 1727 Old 06-10-2019, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
Tom, will CP3 be upgraded for Dolby Vision calibration? Ryan just released his DV test pattern suite and I gotta try it.

Hopefully, Ryan will include a Chromapure work flow as well.
Working on it right now.
Pres2play likes this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1664 of 1727 Old 06-16-2019, 07:39 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
Question: When performing a Rec.2020 calibration (729 points) with a Lumagen Radiance Pro (default settings), is it supposed to show the 3D Color Gamut Options, Points: 9x9x9 in CMS 1 after calibration?

Background, if needed:

I attempted to perform an "SDR2020" calibration with 729 points on my JVC RS540 projector connected to a Lumagen Radiance Pro. This is the calibration type where ChromaPure is set for Rec.2020, and the Radiance Pro is set for SDR2020 colorspace on CMS1.

The problem is Lumagen guidance recommends using a blank input or disconnecting the source, so therefore, CMS0 was selected because there was no HDR material to set it to CMS1. I realized this, but attempted anyway, as I was thinking the ChromaPure Rec.2020 calibration process might trigger CMS1.

However, after this particular Rec.2020 calibration, in the following menu location: Menu→Output→CMS's→[CMS1]→Color Gamut→Options CMS 1, it is only showing Points: 8, which I think is the default setting in all the Radiance Pro CMS's. I do have Points: 9x9x9 for CMS0, but I think my prior Rec.709 calibration was just overwritten. Not a problem, as I can just reload that particular configuration file for the Radiance, as I have been saving them after each successful calibration run.

I am new to this, so there is a learning curve, so thanks for bearing with me.

Edit: I used another input, started the HDR source, and ran the calibration, and it created the 9x9x9 in CMS1, however, the colors are all jacked up on both displays connected to the Radiance. I just turned on the other display to see, then turned it off again.

This same exact effect happened to me the other day on an SDR calibration, and I was convinced it was a setting in the Lumagen, which I reverted and re-ran the calibration. However, now that it happened again, I just have to play around to see what works. I am re-running the calibration now to see if it works this time.

Mark
I wanted to post an update on my calibration results. The Autocal SDR calibrations worked for both 1D & 3D LUT on three displays (with two different Lumagen Radiance models), and the results are fantastic to my eye.

The Autocal HDR calibrations did not work, as follows:

For the JVC RS540 projector, I was unable to successfully perform a 3D LUT with SDR2020; only the 1D LUT worked. Since the projector has pretty accurate color, I guess this is an acceptable compromise.

For the 2017 LG OLED, I was also unable to successfully perform either a 1D LUT or a 3D LUT. The results were the color issues noted in the above post, with varying severity based upon the details of the calibration attempts. I attempted both a 1D & 3D LUT (729 Points) twice, and only the 1D LUT multiple times with varying ChromaPure and Lumagen Radiance Pro settings in an attempt to find a scenario that worked.

I am using a profiled i1 Display 3 Pro, so I don't know if the meter is the issue, if the software has difficulty with HDR calbrations, or it is user error.

Thanks for any input.

Mark

Last edited by giomania; 06-16-2019 at 07:43 AM.
post #1665 of 1727 Old 06-16-2019, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I wanted to post an update on my calibration results. The Autocal SDR calibrations worked for both 1D & 3D LUT on three displays (with two different Lumagen Radiance models), and the results are fantastic to my eye.

The Autocal HDR calibrations did not work, as follows:

For the JVC RS540 projector, I was unable to successfully perform a 3D LUT with SDR2020; only the 1D LUT worked. Since the projector has pretty accurate color, I guess this is an acceptable compromise.

For the 2017 LG OLED, I was also unable to successfully perform either a 1D LUT or a 3D LUT. The results were the color issues noted in the above post, with varying severity based upon the details of the calibration attempts. I attempted both a 1D & 3D LUT (729 Points) twice, and only the 1D LUT multiple times with varying ChromaPure and Lumagen Radiance Pro settings in an attempt to find a scenario that worked.

I am using a profiled i1 Display 3 Pro, so I don't know if the meter is the issue, if the software has difficulty with HDR calbrations, or it is user error.

Thanks for any input.

Mark
First, if you run an auto-cal session without an active source selected, the calibration will always default to CMS0.
Second, if you attempt to run auto-cal sessions back-to-back, you MUST close the software and then restart to begin a new auto-cal run.

Try running a HDR2020 auto-cal session first (you'll need to select the 4913 color option because many of the colors will be filtered out). Ensure that an active HDR2020 source is selected (UHD disc). The disc can be in pause mode if you like.
Make sure that 100% color intensity is selected and that you have selected the YCbCr422 - HDR2020 color space.
Use the filter option and select 65% as the intensity filter.
When complete, the settings will be stored in CMS01. Assuming you have good results, copy that to a higher CMS for safe-keeping.
Restart ChromaPure to perform a SDR2020 auto-cal.
Make sure that 100% color intensity is selected and that you have selected the YCbCr422 - SDR2020 color space. You can run 729 colors here if you like. You should again have an active HDR2020 source selected (UHD disc). Also, ensure that the display device is using an appropriate color preset for 2020. Since an HDR source will be not detected from the Lumagen, the display will likely NOT automatically switch to a 2020 mode.

Use the filter option and select 100% as the intensity filter.
When complete, the settings will be stored in CMS01, overwriting the previous HDR2020 calibration (that's why we copied it for safe-keeping). Assuming you have good results, copy to a new higher CMS for safe-keeping.
Restart ChromaPure to run a SDR709 calibration.
Have an active SDR709 source selected (Blu-ray or HD broadcast).
Make sure that 100% color intensity is selected and that you have selected the YCbCr422 - 709 color space.
Use the filter option and select 100% as the intensity filter. You may run a 125 or 729 color calibration for this. I wouldn't recommend a 4913 calibration. The results are not significantly improved and it takes several hours to complete.

When complete, the settings will be stored in CMS0.

The net result is that you will now have a SDR709 calibration saved in CMS0 and HDR2020 and SDR2020 calibrations saved in higher CMSs. Whenever you want to use one of these latter two, just copy it into CMS01 which the Lumagen will use automatically when it detects a HDR2020 source.

It occurs to me that there is another fairly common scenario. Much streaming 4K content is not HDR. For these types of calibrations you can either treat it as a SDR709 source (for calibration purposes 4K doesn't matter) or a SDR2020 source. It all depends on whether the content was mastered in 2020. However, if you treat it as SDR2020, because the Lumagen will not detect a HDR source, it will default to CMS0. In that case make sure you back up any existing SDR709 calibration to a unique higher CMS.

I hope that this helps. Let me know if it doesn't.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1666 of 1727 Old 06-16-2019, 06:45 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
First, if you run an auto-cal session without an active source selected, the calibration will always default to CMS0.
Second, if you attempt to run auto-cal sessions back-to-back, you MUST close the software and then restart to begin a new auto-cal run.

Try running a HDR2020 auto-cal session first (you'll need to select the 4913 color option because many of the colors will be filtered out). Ensure that an active HDR2020 source is selected (UHD disc). The disc can be in pause mode if you like.
Make sure that 100% color intensity is selected and that you have selected the YCbCr422 - HDR2020 color space.
Use the filter option and select 65% as the intensity filter.
When complete, the settings will be stored in CMS01. Assuming you have good results, copy that to a higher CMS for safe-keeping.
Restart ChromaPure to perform a SDR2020 auto-cal.
Make sure that 100% color intensity is selected and that you have selected the YCbCr422 - SDR2020 color space. You can run 729 colors here if you like. You should again have an active HDR2020 source selected (UHD disc). Also, ensure that the display device is using an appropriate color preset for 2020. Since an HDR source will be not detected from the Lumagen, the display will likely NOT automatically switch to a 2020 mode.

Use the filter option and select 100% as the intensity filter.
When complete, the settings will be stored in CMS01, overwriting the previous HDR2020 calibration (that's why we copied it for safe-keeping). Assuming you have good results, copy to a new higher CMS for safe-keeping.
Restart ChromaPure to run a SDR709 calibration.
Have an active SDR709 source selected (Blu-ray or HD broadcast).
Make sure that 100% color intensity is selected and that you have selected the YCbCr422 - 709 color space.
Use the filter option and select 100% as the intensity filter. You may run a 125 or 729 color calibration for this. I wouldn't recommend a 4913 calibration. The results are not significantly improved and it takes several hours to complete.

When complete, the settings will be stored in CMS0.

The net result is that you will now have a SDR709 calibration saved in CMS0 and HDR2020 and SDR2020 calibrations saved in higher CMSs. Whenever you want to use one of these latter two, just copy it into CMS01 which the Lumagen will use automatically when it detects a HDR2020 source.

It occurs to me that there is another fairly common scenario. Much streaming 4K content is not HDR. For these types of calibrations you can either treat it as a SDR709 source (for calibration purposes 4K doesn't matter) or a SDR2020 source. It all depends on whether the content was mastered in 2020. However, if you treat it as SDR2020, because the Lumagen will not detect a HDR source, it will default to CMS0. In that case make sure you back up any existing SDR709 calibration to a unique higher CMS.

I hope that this helps. Let me know if it doesn't.
Thanks for the input, Tom. I am not entirely certain if at the end I was closing ChromaPure after every attempt, and I know for sure I did not set the HDR2020 attempt intensity filter at 65%. That said, I am pretty sure I did everything correct for the SDR2020 calibration attempt. I think my problem lies in the Gamma setting for the display.

For the 2017 LG B7A OLED, I am using the Technicolor Expert picture mode, but the Gamma in all of the HDR picture mode profiles is not user-selectable. The Gamma is listed as 2.2, but it measures close to 3 in the Pre-Calibration Gamma module, so this could be my issue.

Since a 729-point calibration takes about 80 minutes, before I invest the time to run a 4913 Point calibration, I would like to make sure I have the correct settings in ChromaPure.

I am comfortable ensuring the Lumagen is on the correct CMS and Colorspace now that I have run this many times . By the way, the CMS Colorspace settings allow you to force the HDR flag, so for instance, SDR2020 can be set to engage HDR mode on the TV. Since I have different OLED light settings for SDR vs HDR, I used the flag for the SDR2020 calibration I attempted.

Below are the settings I would like to ensure are correct, and if not listed below, it is at default.

HDR2020 Calibration

Initial Setup Module: Signal Generator: Lumagen Radiance Pro: YCbCr422 - HDR2020

Application Settings Module: Gamut: Reference Gamut: Rec. 2020
Application Settings Module: Gamma: Gamma Target: ???
Given my fixed Gamma issue noted above, what should this be set to?

Auto Cal Module: Intensity Filter: 65%

Mark
post #1667 of 1727 Old 06-18-2019, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input, Tom. I am not entirely certain if at the end I was closing ChromaPure after every attempt, and I know for sure I did not set the HDR2020 attempt intensity filter at 65%. That said, I am pretty sure I did everything correct for the SDR2020 calibration attempt. I think my problem lies in the Gamma setting for the display.

For the 2017 LG B7A OLED, I am using the Technicolor Expert picture mode, but the Gamma in all of the HDR picture mode profiles is not user-selectable. The Gamma is listed as 2.2, but it measures close to 3 in the Pre-Calibration Gamma module, so this could be my issue.

Since a 729-point calibration takes about 80 minutes, before I invest the time to run a 4913 Point calibration, I would like to make sure I have the correct settings in ChromaPure.

I am comfortable ensuring the Lumagen is on the correct CMS and Colorspace now that I have run this many times . By the way, the CMS Colorspace settings allow you to force the HDR flag, so for instance, SDR2020 can be set to engage HDR mode on the TV. Since I have different OLED light settings for SDR vs HDR, I used the flag for the SDR2020 calibration I attempted.

Below are the settings I would like to ensure are correct, and if not listed below, it is at default.

HDR2020 Calibration

Initial Setup Module: Signal Generator: Lumagen Radiance Pro: YCbCr422 - HDR2020

Mark
Your gamma target for an HDR2020 calibration should be HDR10. NOTE: A 4913 color HDR calibration won't take as long as you think because the filtering process removes a large number of the colors to be calibrated. This is because the display cannot render any color much above 65% intensity or more saturated than the P3 gamut. For SDR2020 use 2.3-2.4. Your choice. For 709 I would use either BT.1886 or 2.22.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1668 of 1727 Old 06-18-2019, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

HDR2020 Calibration

Mark
BTW, just out of curiosity why is using HDR10 as the gamma target in CP when doing a HDR calibration unclear? I am trying to make changes to the workflow to avoid support issues.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1669 of 1727 Old 06-18-2019, 04:30 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Your gamma target for an HDR2020 calibration should be HDR10. NOTE: A 4913 color HDR calibration won't take as long as you think because the filtering process removes a large number of the colors to be calibrated. This is because the display cannot render any color much above 65% intensity or more saturated than the P3 gamut. For SDR2020 use 2.3-2.4. Your choice. For 709 I would use either BT.1886 or 2.22.

I did notice that the HDR10 gamma tracked closest during the Pre-calibration Gamma module measurements, which made sense for an HDR calibration using ChromaPure.

The problem is with the TV, which states 2.2 Gamma, which is obviously not accurate. Since you cannot change display manufacturers’ behavior, maybe the workflow can have notes associated with the Gamma usage. If not, then the manual should address it; I will have to look, as I don’t remember if descriptions for each Gamma were covered.

The bottom line is that for an HDR calibration, my first instinct was to choose HDR10 Gamma in Chromapure, but the fixed display 2.2 Gamma gave me pause.

For the 709 calibration (729 Points), I used 2.4, as that is recommended by Lumagen. If you think I should run that again with BT.1866 or 2.22, I can do that.

I saw where you posted there is not much difference between a 729 point and 4913 Point calibration, so that applies only to SDR?

Thanks again, Tom

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #1670 of 1727 Old 06-18-2019, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I saw where you posted there is not much difference between a 729 point and 4913 Point calibration, so that applies only to SDR?
That's right. You have to do 4913 for HDR because of the filtering process. With 709 SDR very few, if any, colors will be filtered out. 2020 SDR is somewhere in between.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1671 of 1727 Old 06-18-2019, 09:52 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
That's right. You have to do 4913 for HDR because of the filtering process. With 709 SDR very few, if any, colors will be filtered out. 2020 SDR is somewhere in between.
OK, so that may have been the issue for the HDR2020 calibration attempt for the LG OLED.

For my other display (JVC RS540 projector), I was attempting an SDR2020 calibration, so how many points do you recommend for that?

Mark
post #1672 of 1727 Old 06-18-2019, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, so that may have been the issue for the HDR2020 calibration attempt for the LG OLED.

For my other display (JVC RS540 projector), I was attempting an SDR2020 calibration, so how many points do you recommend for that?
I would recommend doing a 709 calibration and 729 points. If you are committed to SDR2020, then 729 is probably better, though you can try 4913 if you are willing to wait.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1673 of 1727 Old 06-18-2019, 11:58 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
I would recommend doing a 709 calibration and 729 points. If you are committed to SDR2020, then 729 is probably better, though you can try 4913 if you are willing to wait.
The SDR2020 calibration is for HDR in an SDR container for the projector.

I would also like to confirm that in the Initial Setup Module, for the Radiance test pattern generator setup, that I should always choose 100% as the Color Intensity? If that is not correct, that may be another point of failure in my calibration attempts.

Mark
post #1674 of 1727 Old 06-18-2019, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The SDR2020 calibration is for HDR in an SDR container for the projector.

I would also like to confirm that in the Initial Setup Module, for the Radiance test pattern generator setup, that I should always choose 100% as the Color Intensity? If that is not correct, that may be another point of failure in my calibration attempts.
You always 100% color intensity for auto-cal.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1675 of 1727 Old 06-18-2019, 03:41 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
You always 100% color intensity for auto-cal.

I forgot to ask what is the difference with the meter modes? I understand projection lens vs screen, but why are there so many options for flat panels? I was using OLED for my LG OLED, by the way.

Also, for an HDR calibration, should I be using "small windows" pattern size, since LG recommends for HDR calibration, use a ≤ 10% area greyscale patterns with a black background.

Thanks again, Tom.

Mark

Last edited by giomania; 06-18-2019 at 03:46 PM.
post #1676 of 1727 Old 06-18-2019, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I forgot to ask what is the difference with the meter modes? I understand projection lens vs screen, but why are there so many options for flat panels? I was using OLED for my LG OLED, by the way.

Also, for an HDR calibration, should I be using "small windows" pattern size, since LG recommends for HDR calibration, use a ≤ 10% area greyscale patterns with a black background.
Your meter has been calibrated for maximum accuracy for these various display types.

Use the standard size window test patterns.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1677 of 1727 Old 06-18-2019, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

ChromaPure 3.1.19 Preview Release

The ChromaPure 3.1.19 Preview Release is now available for download for licensed ChromaPure 3.x users.

This fully functional release adds support for the new SpyderX colorimeter.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1678 of 1727 Old 06-19-2019, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
A naive question: why this version (3.1.19) occupies 30360 KB and the version (3.1.18.11) 64008 KB?

Just curiosity...
post #1679 of 1727 Old 06-19-2019, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpantata View Post
A naive question: why this version (3.1.19) occupies 30360 KB and the version (3.1.18.11) 64008 KB?

Just curiosity...
Not naive at all. In fact, I am glad you pointed this out. The link had a http prefix instead of https. Why that matters I don't know.

In any case, the link is now correct. Download again and replace the previous version.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1680 of 1727 Old 06-19-2019, 11:14 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
The ChromaPure 3.1.19 Preview Release is now available for download for licensed ChromaPure 3.x users.

This fully functional release adds support for the new SpyderX colorimeter.
Any other changes, or am I OK to attempt the HDR calibration on my LG OLED with the prior version?

Thanks.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page