The Official ChromaPure 3 thread - Page 57 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 343Likes

post #1681 of 1726 Old 06-19-2019, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
Any other changes, or am I OK to attempt the HDR calibration on my LG OLED with the prior version?

Thanks.

Mark
No other changes.
giomania likes this.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1726 Old 06-30-2019, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I have added some troubleshooting tips for Lumagen auto-cal on our Support page. Anyone experiencing any problems should find this helpful.
giomania and leemathre like this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1683 of 1726 Old 07-05-2019, 11:04 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
I have added some troubleshooting tips for Lumagen auto-cal on our Support page. Anyone experiencing any problems should find this helpful.
Hi Tom,

I followed the updated guidance, and even performed a clean install, but would seem the colors are not filtered out, so all the points will be measured, as noted in the below. I am assuming this is caused by the guidance to not use the Gamut overlay feature. I will let it run and see if it works for me this time, but this will take many hours to run through all those colors. I hope it is worth it.

Mark

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture Auto Cal No Filtering.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	2587834  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1684 of 1726 Old 07-05-2019, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Tom,

I followed the updated guidance, and even performed a clean install, but would seem the colors are not filtered out, so all the points will be measured, as noted in the below. I am assuming this is caused by the guidance to not use the Gamut overlay feature. I will let it run and see if it works for me this time, but this will take many hours to run through all those colors. I hope it is worth it.

Mark

Clicking Apply Gamut and Intensity Filter does all of that for you. There is nothing you need to spend hours on. It takes one second.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1685 of 1726 Old 07-05-2019, 11:27 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

The Official ChromaPure 3 thread

Quote:
Clicking Apply Gamut and Intensity Filter does all of that for you. There is nothing you need to spend hours on. It takes one second.

There were no colors filtered out. I guess I should’ve mentioned that snap was taken after I measured the colors.

I meant the auto CAL be running for hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #1686 of 1726 Old 07-05-2019, 11:57 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Update: It stopped after about an hour with the message that it had completed, but did not measure all the colors. This is user error, as I forgot to select HDR10 Gamma. When closing the software and then re-opening, it defaults to 2.22 Gamma, so I need to carefully check the settings each time I open it again.

And now got the filtering working.

Mark

Last edited by giomania; 07-05-2019 at 12:09 PM.
post #1687 of 1726 Old 07-05-2019, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There were no colors filtered out. I guess I should’ve mentioned that snap was taken after I measured the colors.

I meant the auto CAL be running for hours.

After I posted I thought that's what you might mean. You know you'll get virtually identical results from running a 729-point calibration, which won't take more than an hour.
giomania likes this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1688 of 1726 Old 07-05-2019, 01:45 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
After I posted I thought that's what you might mean. You know you'll get virtually identical results from running a 729-point calibration, which won't take more than an hour.

After measuring, there were 3,494 colors in the gamut, and it took about two hours to run. I understood we had to run 4913 points with HDR 10 calibrations.

Anyway my results are not good; here are some pictures of the results, which are typical HDR post-calibration symptoms of the HDR calibration attempts on my LG OLED.

I don’t have any issues with SDR calibration.

post #1689 of 1726 Old 07-05-2019, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
After measuring, there were 3,494 colors in the gamut, and it took about two hours to run. I understood we had to run 4913 points with HDR 10 calibrations.

Anyway my results are not good; here are some pictures of the results, which are typical HDR post-calibration symptoms of the HDR calibration attempts on my LG OLED.

A few things. First, you should not have had 3494 colors in the gamut after filtering for a HDR/2020 calibration. It should have been less than 1000, much like this.

After the filter is applied, it should look like this.

When finished, you should run the report, and the last page of the report should look something like this.

Second, did you have active HDR/2020 signal (UHD disc) feeding the Lumagen when you can auto-cal? If not, do so.

The calibration should automatically stored in CMS01.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1690 of 1726 Old 07-05-2019, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW, I just discovered that the 3.1.19 preview release should not be used for auto-cal. Use 3.1.18 instead. I have updated the News item to indicate this.
The 3.1.19 preview release should only be used for those who want to do manual calibrations with the SpyderX.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1691 of 1726 Old 07-05-2019, 04:23 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
A few things. First, you should not have had 3494 colors in the gamut after filtering for a HDR/2020 calibration. It should have been less than 1000, much like this.

After the filter is applied, it should look like this.

When finished, you should run the report, and the last page of the report should look something like this.

Second, did you have active HDR/2020 signal (UHD disc) feeding the Lumagen when you can auto-cal? If not, do so.

The calibration should automatically stored in CMS01.

I did have an HDR source running but regardless of the issue this time with the filters, every single time I have run an HDR calibration I’ve had that same effect of the colors just in different levels of severity, depending on how the calibration was run.

For HDR sources, I will just stick to the Dynamic tone Mapping built into the TV.

post #1692 of 1726 Old 07-05-2019, 04:28 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
BTW, I just discovered that the 3.1.19 preview release should not be used for auto-cal. Use 3.1.18 instead. I have updated the News item to indicate this.
The 3.1.19 preview release should only be used for those who want to do manual calibrations with the SpyderX.

You’ve got to be kidding me; I used 3.1.19, because that’s what was available for download.

I’m going to give this one more shot with 3.1.18, then I’m done, as life is too short.

post #1693 of 1726 Old 07-05-2019, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did have an HDR source running but regardless of the issue this time with the filters, every single time I have run an HDR calibration I’ve had that same effect of the colors just in different levels of severity, depending on how the calibration was run.

For HDR sources, I will just stick to the Dynamic tone Mapping built into the TV.
Please contact ChromaPure support about this. I am confident that there is something small and really simple that is causing this for you. I am sure I can resolve it pretty quickly.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1694 of 1726 Old 07-05-2019, 08:20 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

The Official ChromaPure 3 thread

Quote:

OK this is much better and the best results to date, but I still think there’s a little bit of red in the highlights of flesh tones. Need to evaluate further. Turning on HDR Mapping in the Lumagen makes it go away, it seems.

The Magnificent 7 at 1:10:55 without HDR Mapping

The Magnificent 7 at 1:10:55 with HDR Mapping

Edit: after evaluation of two scenes in the magnificent seven with bright specular highlights, the highlights in the scenes were really blown out (and blue hue around the sun) so I did not save the calibration.

Last edited by giomania; 07-05-2019 at 09:00 PM.
post #1695 of 1726 Old 07-05-2019, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK this is much better and the best results to date, but I still think there’s a little bit of red in the highlights of flesh tones. Need to evaluate further. Turning on HDR Mapping in the Lumagen makes it go away, it seems.

Edit: after evaluation of two scenes in the magnificent seven with bright specular highlights, the highlights in the scenes were really blown out (and blue hue around the sun) so I did not save the calibration.
The problem with turning on Lumagen's tone mapping after the calibration is finished is that this changes the output values, which sort of defeats the purpose of the calibration, which involved a meticulous attempt to fine adjust the output levels.

One suggestion: If it looks basically good, but shows signs of small errors, then check the grayscale. Lumagen has told me that the color matrix calibration can throw off the grayscale calibration and that it may need to be redone after the color calibration is finished. You can do this easily while still in the auto-cal module. When the color matrix has finished, just select one of the grayscale points and click M (Measure once). This runs the auto-cal routine on the selected color only. You can click more than once to fine tune. Repeat for all of the grayscale points.

Try relying on the display's tone mapping and fine-tuning the grayscale.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1696 of 1726 Old 07-06-2019, 07:22 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
The problem with turning on Lumagen's tone mapping after the calibration is finished is that this changes the output values, which sort of defeats the purpose of the calibration, which involved a meticulous attempt to fine adjust the output levels.

One suggestion: If it looks basically good, but shows signs of small errors, then check the grayscale. Lumagen has told me that the color matrix calibration can throw off the grayscale calibration and that it may need to be redone after the color calibration is finished. You can do this easily while still in the auto-cal module. When the color matrix has finished, just select one of the grayscale points and click M (Measure once). This runs the auto-cal routine on the selected color only. You can click more than once to fine tune. Repeat for all of the grayscale points.

Try relying on the display's tone mapping and fine-tuning the grayscale.
I ran another one this morning, and it looked basically good; better than last night in the face shot I posted. Then I re-measured the Grayscale (5% to 65%; it did not go higher than 65%), and then the results were poor again with the reds in the faces.

I would like to confirm what I am seeing is correct with respect to the color filter, because at 65% color intensity, there are only 344 colors inside the gamut.

I am running another one now and we will see what happens. If it doesn't work well, I will try just a 21-Point Grayscale calibration, which I had tried before on the LG OLED; that attempt was also unsuccessful, but I was overlaying gamuts then. That is what I did on my JVC RS540 projector, for an SDR2020 calibration, but that was many weeks ago, and I was also using the gamut overlay.

That might be a good compromise, if the 3D/1D LUT doesn't work.

Mark

Last edited by giomania; 07-06-2019 at 07:37 AM.
post #1697 of 1726 Old 07-06-2019, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would like to confirm what I am seeing is correct with respect to the color filter, because at 65% color intensity, there are only 344 colors inside the gamut.
Previously, you quoted 3494 colors in the gamut, which was way too many. Now you quote 344, which is too few. If you are measuring HDR/2020 using a 65% Intensity filter AND you have the display set to its optimal 2020 mode (most saturated), you should get at least double the number of colors you report for a 4913 calibration.

Let me investigate if there is some problem with 21-point grayscale calibration and I'll report back. I have always used 12-point for testing and I just don't see these problems.
giomania likes this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1698 of 1726 Old 07-11-2019, 11:46 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Previously, you quoted 3494 colors in the gamut, which was way too many. Now you quote 344, which is too few. If you are measuring HDR/2020 using a 65% Intensity filter AND you have the display set to its optimal 2020 mode (most saturated), you should get at least double the number of colors you report for a 4913 calibration.

Let me investigate if there is some problem with 21-point grayscale calibration and I'll report back. I have always used 12-point for testing and I just don't see these problems.

Any news, Tom?

Thanks.

Mark

post #1699 of 1726 Old 07-12-2019, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Any news, Tom?

Thanks.

Mark

OK, I spent several hours on this and I definitely saw an issue. It took me a long time to figure what the problem was. Here it is.
By default, CP is set to 12 point grayscale. That's the mode I always use, so I hadn't seen any problems with auto-cal.
The problem arises when you select 21-point grayscale in auto-cal. What's supposed to happen is that the system switches to 21-point, but it isn't. It stays at 12-point, but the auto-cal routine measures as though it were in 21-point. This completely messes up the session resulting in the horrible colors that some saw when it was finished. Now, it appears if you then close CP and reopen NOW the system is set to 21-point and the process should work normally if you select 21-point in the auto-cal setup window.

We will definitely fix this bug, but in the meantime there is a simple workaround. Select 21 point grayscale in the Options panel and take a few manual readings. Then close CP and restart. The 21 point selection will stick, and then when you go to auto-cal ensure that you select the 21 point mode. Alternatively, and this would be my recommendation, just stick with the default 12-point mode for the time being until the bug is fixed. The results are indistinguishable.
giomania likes this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1700 of 1726 Old 07-12-2019, 04:51 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
OK, I spent several hours on this and I definitely saw an issue. It took me a long time to figure what the problem was. Here it is.
By default, CP is set to 12 point grayscale. That's the mode I always use, so I hadn't seen any problems with auto-cal.
The problem arises when you select 21-point grayscale in auto-cal. What's supposed to happen is that the system switches to 21-point, but it isn't. It stays at 12-point, but the auto-cal routine measures as though it were in 21-point. This completely messes up the session resulting in the horrible colors that some saw when it was finished. Now, it appears if you then close CP and reopen NOW the system is set to 21-point and the process should work normally if you select 21-point in the auto-cal setup window.

We will definitely fix this bug, but in the meantime there is a simple workaround. Select 21 point grayscale in the Options panel and take a few manual readings. Then close CP and restart. The 21 point selection will stick, and then when you go to auto-cal ensure that you select the 21 point mode. Alternatively, and this would be my recommendation, just stick with the default 12-point mode for the time being until the bug is fixed. The results are indistinguishable.

Well at least I know I’m not going crazy!

For the 21-point workaround, when closing CP, does the session need to be saved and that same session re-opened?

Thanks.

Mark

post #1701 of 1726 Old 07-12-2019, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well at least I know I’m not going crazy!

For the 21-point workaround, when closing CP, does the session need to be saved and that same session re-opened?

Thanks.

Mark

That shouldn't be necessary. Just open the grayscale module to confirm that the system is set to the desired grayscale mode before opening auto-cal.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1702 of 1726 Old 07-12-2019, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello Tom, I'm interested to buy ChromaPure 3 Professional, but when I want to visit your Website (ChromaPure.com) I'm redirected to an online selling Website named "best-price-online.org".
So Im confused, have you shut down your Website or support or ist that a temporary "Bug"?
If it is a Bug, one Note question. Can I use my Raspberry Pi Pattern Generator with CP3 Professional or do I have to use HDMI Out/DVDO4K/Murideo/AccuPel? Im really Happy with the RPI

Greetings,
Cornelius
post #1703 of 1726 Old 07-12-2019, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadH View Post
Hello Tom, I'm interested to buy ChromaPure 3 Professional, but when I want to visit your Website (ChromaPure.com) I'm redirected to an online selling Website named "best-price-online.org".
So Im confused, have you shut down your Website or support or ist that a temporary "Bug"?
If it is a Bug, one Note question. Can I use my Raspberry Pi Pattern Generator with CP3 Professional or do I have to use HDMI Out/DVDO4K/Murideo/AccuPel? Im really Happy with the RPI

Greetings,
Cornelius
You've gone to the wrong site. Go here.

http://www.chromapure.com/

We don't currently support the Raspberry generator.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1704 of 1726 Old 07-13-2019, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
You've gone to the wrong site. Go here.

http://www.chromapure.com/

We don't currently support the Raspberry generator.
NOPE, the link you supplied still gets directed to an on-line pharmacy.

Edit - appears this only affect certain web browsers. Opera is affected, IE is not (but I still hate IE)

System: Pioneer KRP-500M, Lumagen Mini3D, Denon AVR-4520 (custom modified to allow use of >>>), miniDSP DDRC88BM, Oppo 103EU, Sky+HD DRX895, Humax HDR-FOX-T2 (x2), Apple ATV3
Bowers & Wilkins CM8 (left & right) - CMC2 (centre) - Kef HTS3001SE Surrounds, miniDSP 2x4HD, SVS SB13 Ultra, SVS SB2000 (x2) <<< Perfectly blended by MSO
post #1705 of 1726 Old 07-13-2019, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_mike View Post

Edit - appears this only affect certain web browsers. Opera is affected, IE is not (but I still hate IE)
It doesn't affect Firefox or Chrome either. It sounds to me like you have some malware affecting Opera.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1706 of 1726 Old 07-13-2019, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It doesn't affect Firefox or Chrome either. It sounds to me like you have some malware affecting Opera.
Must be the same thing affecting @CadH

I'll update and run a full scan - thanks.

Regards, Mike.

Edit - cleared browsing data, as a first try, and now I get your website - strange.

System: Pioneer KRP-500M, Lumagen Mini3D, Denon AVR-4520 (custom modified to allow use of >>>), miniDSP DDRC88BM, Oppo 103EU, Sky+HD DRX895, Humax HDR-FOX-T2 (x2), Apple ATV3
Bowers & Wilkins CM8 (left & right) - CMC2 (centre) - Kef HTS3001SE Surrounds, miniDSP 2x4HD, SVS SB13 Ultra, SVS SB2000 (x2) <<< Perfectly blended by MSO

Last edited by AV_mike; 07-13-2019 at 10:26 AM.
post #1707 of 1726 Old 07-13-2019, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_mike View Post

Safari on Mac also affected, redirects to online pharmacy.

Marantz 7702mkII
JVC RS500
Panasonic DMP-UB900
post #1708 of 1726 Old 07-13-2019, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by namirkhan View Post
Safari on Mac also affected, redirects to online pharmacy.
Clearing my recent browser data got rid of the problem for me with Opera, maybe Safari is the same.
namirkhan likes this.

post #1709 of 1726 Old 07-13-2019, 06:15 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:

No go for me; the same results as before with both 12 and 21 points. Then I started examining the completed measurements, and I went through and corrected (re-measured) any color over dE 1, and got most of them under 1, with the exception of the first colors (red, green, blue).

So the only difference for the measurements that I was able to fix was that I manually re-touched (by pressing M) to get them under 1. These measurements finish the process slower (more accurately?) than Auto cal. Would inserting a wait time between measurements fix this?

The first colors (red, green, blue) are in the hundreds delta, and I cannot get them lower. This has to be the issue I am having; see below image.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture Auto Cal Measurements.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	2590470  
post #1710 of 1726 Old 07-13-2019, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Clearing my recent browser data got rid of the problem for me with Opera, maybe Safari is the same.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have fixes it using my Mobile Phone. So If I want to go with smart device (so "Smartphone optimized graphics") on the Page, the online pharmacy ist shown. By clicking "Show desktop Version" all is fine
Tried with Chrome for Android.

Any Chance for RPI support or definitely Not, Tom?

Greetings,
Cornelius
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page