The Official ChromaPure 3 thread - Page 61 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 354Likes

post #1801 of 1824 Old 02-27-2020, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprimatur View Post
Is this version any different than the preview release with the same version number?
Yes, it includes all of the features/fixes mentioned.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1824 Old 02-28-2020, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
Yes, it includes all of the features/fixes mentioned.
Shouldn't it have a different version number, then? It's not actually the same version as the previously released 3.1.19.
post #1803 of 1824 Old 02-28-2020, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hi Tom,

Would it be possible to support Davinci Resolve as a TPG?
The home versions of the other guys lack this support so a nice feature to pitch with.
DR is used a lot in the video world an so a nice match I would think.
I use it as my main TPG together with a Decklink card, rock solid dedicated connection to a monitor or tv.

And compliments to keep up with the features, still a good investment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1804 of 1824 Old 02-28-2020, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprimatur View Post
Shouldn't it have a different version number, then? It's not actually the same version as the previously released 3.1.19.

Yeah, we could have turned it up to “20”!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
post #1805 of 1824 Old 03-02-2020, 08:21 AM

Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
Yeah, we could have turned it up to “20”!

20. 21. Whatever it takes.
giomania likes this.
post #1806 of 1824 Old 03-02-2020, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have compared the previous file and the current one and the result has been 100% equal ... : nerd:
post #1807 of 1824 Old 03-03-2020, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Madvr 3dlut

Hi Tom,
after buying in November I've been using Chromapure Standard with great ease and I thank you for that!
I know this has been asked before,
but is there a chance that you'll implement 3dlut creation for Madvr (...anytime soon)?
Would that be a lot of extra work (since 3dlut for external processors and MadTPG are already implemented)?
There is a great many people using Madvr now and discovering the advantages of an HTPC (the community seems to be growing rapidly at the moment) and there is an argument to be made that a well tuned Madvr HTPCs might even come out on top of external processors especially with the new HDR features.
I would really love to use a Basiccolor Discus with Chrompure and generate 3dluts for Madvr. Or for starters with my i1D3/i1pro2 combi. And I'd absolutely invest in the Add-on for that.
Yes, I can use Displaycal and I do, but having a complete chain within Chromapure would still be really good and the Discus (it seems) will never be supported by ArgyllCMS (unless someone buys a new Discus and gifts it to Graeme Gill).

So, there are my hopes and wishes.
Many thanks again for a great product and fantastic support from you!

Last edited by TimHamburg; 03-03-2020 at 01:37 AM.
post #1808 of 1824 Old 03-10-2020, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 6
On the Options -> Gamma -> HDR Projector selection from 3000 to 6000, what does the values mean? Projector total lumens?
post #1809 of 1824 Old 03-10-2020, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab373 View Post
On the Options -> Gamma -> HDR Projector selection from 3000 to 6000, what does the values mean? Projector total lumens?
No, it refers to the peak maximum white value used to calculate the PQ curve. The standard PQ curve is calculated from 10,000 nits. For projectors, we use the same curve, just at a lower level. For example, the standard PQ curve expects about 244 nits at 60%. If you select 5,000 from this list then only 122 is expected. It is a way of lowering the light output requirement of projectors in a way that adheres at least to the spirit of the PQ curve.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1810 of 1824 Old 03-10-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
No, it refers to the peak maximum white value used to calculate the PQ curve. The standard PQ curve is calculated from 10,000 nits. For projectors, we use the same curve, just at a lower level. For example, the standard PQ curve expects about 244 nits at 60%. If you select 5,000 from this list then only 122 is expected. It is a way of lowering the light output requirement of projectors in a way that adheres at least to the spirit of the PQ curve.
Thank you, is there a way to calculate which value I should use for my specific projector?
post #1811 of 1824 Old 03-10-2020, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you, is there a way to calculate which value I should use for my specific projector?
Use the highest value you can that still prevents clipping at 50%.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1812 of 1824 Old 03-11-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Use the highest value you can that still prevents clipping at 50%.
Thanks!
post #1813 of 1824 Old 03-12-2020, 10:59 AM

I have some challenges calibrating the cms color luminance on my projector for rec 709. I am using the Chromapure calibration disk with the Gamut pattern for 100% A and 75% S. The problem is I maxed out the cms color gain for all colors on the projector and it is still far from 0% error in all colors (double digits % error on the low side). I can get perfect alignment on the hue and saturation. I also can get a pretty good white balance. I am using a i1Display Pro colorimeter.

Not sure if I am doing something wrong or is this normal for projectors?
post #1814 of 1824 Old 03-16-2020, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Quoted: 5797 Post(s)
Liked: 2324
Quote:
I have some challenges calibrating the cms color luminance on my projector for rec 709. I am using the Chromapure calibration disk with the Gamut pattern for 100% A and 75% S. The problem is I maxed out the cms color gain for all colors on the projector and it is still far from 0% error in all colors (double digits % error on the low side). I can get perfect alignment on the hue and saturation. I also can get a pretty good white balance. I am using a i1Display Pro colorimeter.

It’s very common for 1-chip DLP projectors. That’s why Epson in their specifications often brag about “Epson® 3LCD projectors deliver remarkable colour accuracy, with up to 3x Higher Colour Brightness3 and up to 3x Wider Colour Gamut4 over competitive DLP projectors — and no rainbow effect.”
post #1815 of 1824 Old 03-19-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Quote:

It’️s very common for 1-chip DLP projectors. That’️s why Epson in their specifications often brag about “Epson®️ 3LCD projectors deliver remarkable colour accuracy, with up to 3x Higher Colour Brightness3 and up to 3x Wider Colour Gamut4 over competitive DLP projectors — and no rainbow effect.”
Thanks for your response.
post #1816 of 1824 Old 03-22-2020, 01:34 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm trying to calibrate my Sammy 75Q80. I have a big problem already at the beginning. I'm playing test patterns through the USB-port of the OCB. I'm using Film mode, Warm 2, all enhancements off.
When trying to set the proper contrast I'm not able to adjust it to only see the reference white. I still can see the white bars until 250-251 although I turned the contrast all way up. Messing a 100% white gives me a dE between 4 and 6 (using the CP built in signal generator and HDMI through PC).

What am I doing wrong? Any help apprecieted. Thanks.
post #1817 of 1824 Old 03-22-2020, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranos View Post
I'm trying to calibrate my Sammy 75Q80. I have a big problem already at the beginning. I'm playing test patterns through the USB-port of the OCB. I'm using Film mode, Warm 2, all enhancements off.
When trying to set the proper contrast I'm not able to adjust it to only see the reference white. I still can see the white bars until 250-251 although I turned the contrast all way up. Messing a 100% white gives me a dE between 4 and 6 (using the CP built in signal generator and HDMI through PC).

What am I doing wrong? Any help apprecieted. Thanks.
Why do you think seeing 250-251 is a problem and turn Contrast all the way up? Accordingly to the ChromaPure manual, you’re supposed to lower Contrast:

Quote:
The correct white level setting is that setting at which 3 conditions are met:
• The level of 100% white is consistent with the display type (see below). Use the Raw Data Module to check luminance at 100% white.
• The just‐below‐white bar and just‐above‐white bar are clearly visible.
• The color of full white is neutral. Use the White Balance tool to check the color of white
post #1818 of 1824 Old 03-22-2020, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
The color of full white is neutral. Use the White Balance tool to check the color of white
What also helps in setting contrast is to look at an advanced contrast pattern showing the primaries and secondaries as well as white. Even though white doesn't seem to be clipping, often some of the primaries are and you get color shift.

I find this much more effective than a regular white only flashing bars pattern.

Andrew
post #1819 of 1824 Old 03-22-2020, 11:30 PM

The white bar pattern doesn't bother me much. My problem is that I can't lower the dE by 100% white. A value of 4,5-4,8 is not normal, is it?. What impact has this value of the overall calibration? It means that all my settings are wrong just because I start from a false white value?
post #1820 of 1824 Old 03-24-2020, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Hi. I just switched my Lumagen Radiance XD from 8 pt to 125 pt CMS and OH MY GOD is that a lot more work.

I was calibrating a plasma with HCFR and an i1 Display Pro colorimeter (the box says "Part No. EODIS3-BOX-XR1")

Currently the TV looks ok after a heroic amount of twiddling but I bet I could do better with an automated workflow.

It looks like I can purchase some flavor of ChromaPure that will control the Lumagen directly. I do wonder what kind of physical connection I will need to go from my cheap-o Dell Windows 10 laptop (which has USB ports only) to the Lumagen.

Anything else I should be aware of before I whip out a credit card and head to the download page?
post #1821 of 1824 Old 03-24-2020, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranos View Post
The white bar pattern doesn't bother me much. My problem is that I can't lower the dE by 100% white. A value of 4,5-4,8 is not normal, is it?. What impact has this value of the overall calibration? It means that all my settings are wrong just because I start from a false white value?
I don’t understand why the 100% white dE can’t be lowered by adjusting RGB gains, or by lowering the Contrast.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 03-24-2020 at 03:47 PM.
post #1822 of 1824 Old 03-25-2020, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hi guys,

It has been a while since I used CP and just got the upgrade from V2 to V3 because I bought a Samsung HDR10 display (Samsung NU8000).

Can you guys help me out with some initial questions?

First of all about the patterns to use. Back in "my days" (8-10 years back) the AVS709 was pretty much all you needed as for patterns. I think I now will need HDR patterns too. I found that diversifiedvideosolutions has a payed versions of patterns but is there also a free alternative for this?

Next, about the measuring itself:
Is it basically so that I going to do 2 measurements: one with REC709 as reference (for all my standard def material) and one with DCI-p3 for all my HDR material?
post #1823 of 1824 Old 03-27-2020, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
I don’t understand why the 100% white dE can’t be lowered by adjusting RGB gains, or by lowering the Contrast.
I made a picture reset a couple of days ago and I completely forgot it. I was wondering why I receive such a great dE by 100 % white knowing that it was calibrated right. I did a new calibration and everything is fine now.

Thanks for your answers.
post #1824 of 1824 Old 03-29-2020, 03:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
MadTPG on network computer not being used by laptop Chrompure install

EDIT: SOLVED:
I just found out:
You have to "Enable Lan Access" in the MadTPG tray icon on both computers. Now it works.

I had it all working, but coming back do some calibrating after a month,
I don't get Chromapure to adress the MadTPG instance that's runnning on the network HTPC that's connected to the TV I want to calibrate.
Chromapure runs on a new Laptop that's in the same network as the HTPC (first 3 numbers in the network IP are the same).

My procedure:
I start MadTPG on the HTPC first.
Then I start Chromapure on the laptop.

Result:
Chromapure starts MadTPG on the Laptop and doesn't use
MadTPG running on the HTPC.

What can I do?
Thank you!

Last edited by TimHamburg; 03-29-2020 at 03:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page