R.Masciola's HDR-10 UHD Test Patterns - Page 62 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1145Likes

post #1831 of 1863 Old 09-05-2019, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 215 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4963 Post(s)
Liked: 6037
Quote:
Originally Posted by mombasa123 View Post
Thank you Ryan. That is v informative and educational!

I think the correct Contrast for the Q9FN is 45 based on EOTF/Luminance curves (in preference to the clipping patterns). Vincent Teoh also pointed out the blownup highlights (ie loss of detail) in his review (default Contrast of 50). I have attached both 45 & 50 Contrast curves to illustrate. The 45 one is much closer to reference and inline with rtings.com post review analysis.

It has been all over the net that Samsung do artificially brighten the PQ so your comments do fit. I am not convinced that Samsung do not respect MaxCLL/FLL as my Vero 4K+ which (currently) does noy pass that metadata has very different clipping readings compared to the internal player. My Odroid N2 and Oppo based M9702 media streamer arriving soon so looking fwd to some comparisions.

Many thanks again for replying.
The contrast will actually be between 40-45 to correctly follow the EOTF. Just depends on your panel.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F, LG CX
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LightSpace Pro, ISF Level III Certified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 1863 Old 09-05-2019, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Quoted: 5800 Post(s)
Liked: 2325
Quote:
I think the correct Contrast for the Q9FN is 45 based on EOTF/Luminance curves (in preference to the clipping patterns)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
The contrast will actually be between 40-45 to correctly follow the EOTF. Just depends on your panel.
At 50% input the PQ curve target is 94.4 nits. In this particular case, at 50% input Contrast 50 produced 201 nits, Contrast 45 produced 161 nits, so 40 may be closer to target.
mascior, jrref and ajc9988 like this.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 09-05-2019 at 11:22 AM.
post #1833 of 1863 Old 09-05-2019, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Agreed with both of you - I need to drop Contrast a notch at a time and check.

However, I believe it also depends on the what nits the material is mastered at according to rtings.com. 4k nits requires a higher contrast setting than 1k nits so a compromise in inevitable

Update 05/24/2018: HDTVTest has shown that for lower brightness HDR infoframes (such as 1000 nits) the TV produces scenes which are brighter than intended (see his video here). You can see more about this in the Additional review notes.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/discussion...l-review-notes

Edit : actually looking at the rtings.com charts, I think I will stick to 45 Contrast (or maybe even a lil higher) as 4k material will be a bit dim otherwise. Prefer a brighter pic (who doesn't?).

Edit : Regardless, Ryan's patterns have been invaluable in figuring out the correct (!) setting and what's going on. PS @mascior , any chance of grayscale patches mastered a 4k nits ?

Edit : nvm - think I have found grayscale patches at different nit levels.
mascior likes this.

Last edited by mombasa123; 09-06-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1834 of 1863 Old 09-23-2019, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Hi Ryan @mascior

Noted that the Calman workflow contains Samsung code values but these do not seem to match the patches specified by by CalMAN Home?

Thanks
post #1835 of 1863 Old 09-24-2019, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Quote:
Hi Ryan @mascior

Noted that the Calman workflow contains Samsung code values but these do not seem to match the patches specified by by CalMAN Home?

Thanks
Hi mombasa123,

I actually reached out to Tyler Pruitt with Portrait Display today. Not only will DVS be providing new sweeps for all currently available CalMAN Home software, we'll be updating the original professional line as well. Stay tuned!

PS - We'll be releasing REV_002 of our Dolby Vision suite soon, which will incorporate a new workflow for ChromaPure.

- Ryan M.
post #1836 of 1863 Old 10-07-2019, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascior View Post
Diversified Video Solutions UltraHD|HDR-10 Test Pattern Suite (.mp4/.ts) update REV_025 Re-released!
Who should I contact to get the link for REV_025? The most recent email I've received from SENDOWL was back on 31-July-2018 for REV_023. And has there been any updates to the HLG patterns - the latest I've had is REV_003 back on 6-Aug-2018.

EDIT: Please ignore. I discovered that the links for REV_023 also give me access to REV_025.
mascior likes this.

Last edited by tarbat; 10-07-2019 at 03:29 PM.
post #1837 of 1863 Old 10-12-2019, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Diversified Video Solutions UltraHD|Dolby Vision Test Pattern Suite (.mp4) REV_002 Released!!

**NOTE: This revision was compresses with 7-Zip. To extract, please utilize the 7-Zip extracting utility found at http://www.7-zip.org/ (Windows) or The Keka extracting utility found at http://www.kekaosx.com/(MAC OS)

Description

We have now added Dolby Vision support for ChromaPure 3 (version 3.1.19+). If you re-download the latest version of CP from their website, you will now see a Dolby Vision option within the gamma drop-down menu under options (application settings). Please utilize the included instruction manual to assist with further setup and configuration.

Also, we are happy to announce our new pricing structure as well. If you have purchased our products within the past 30 days you will be entitled to a refund of the difference. Please just email a copy of your purchase receipt. We appreciate your continued support!

Please feel free to post your thoughts and/or comments about the product. Also, please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns regarding the suite. Thank you!

- Ryan M.

825+ Dolby Vision Test Patterns - Profile 5 (1.0, dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU)

Basic Setup Patterns

- Title (REV_002)
- Meter Placement
- Meter Profile (10% Window Patterns Red, Green, & Blue)
- Black Clipping (1 & 2)
- White Clipping (1, 2, 3 & 4)
- Color Bars
- Color Clipping (HDR Color Clipping High & HDR Color Clipping Low)
- Sharpness & Overscan

Advanced Setup Patterns

10% Window Patterns

- 11 Step Grayscale
- 21 Step Grayscale
- 10 Step Gamma
- 20 Step Gamma
- 50% Amplitude/100% Saturation Color
- 50% Amplitude/75% Saturation Color
- 50% Amplitude/50% Saturation Color
- 50% Amplitude/25% Saturation Color
- 50% Amplitude Color Saturation Sweep
- 23 Point ColorChecker
- Contrast

CalMAN 5.9.XX Dolby Vision Workflow

- Pre Calibration View
- White Balance
- Grayscale
- CMS Adjust
- ColorChecker Analysis
- P3 Sat Sweep inside BT2020
- Post Calibration View

ChromaPure 3.1.19 Dolby Vision Workflow

- Pre-Calibration Grayscale
- Pre-Calibration Color Gamut
- Calibration Gamma
- Calibration White Balance
- Calibration Color Management
- Calibration Color & Tint
- Calibration Performance
- Post-Calibration Grayscale
- Post-Calibration Color Gamut

Miscellaneous Setup Patterns

- Contrast Ratio (10% Window Patterns)
- ANSI Contrast (ANSI Meter Placement(5x4|8x8) & ANSI Contrast(5x4|8x8))
- Dynamic Contrast
- Grayscale Ramps (Grayscale Steps, Grayscale Ramp, & Grayscale Ramp Mix)
- Color Decoding
- Color Flashing Primary
- Grayscale Sweeps (10% Window Patterns)
- Test Footage (Landscape, Nature, Skin Tone, City Sunset 1.85:1, Oceanside 2.40:1, PANTONE Skin Tone, Restaurant Scene, Indian Market Walk In The City & Rooftop Scene)
- Frame Rate & Judder Patterns
- Radial Gradient Patterns

Pattern Suite File Size

0.99 GB (1,073,669,004 bytes) Zipped/Compressed
4.20 GB (4,518,191,277 bytes) Unzipped/Uncompressed
galonzo likes this.
post #1838 of 1863 Old 10-12-2019, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2891 Post(s)
Liked: 1686
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascior View Post
Diversified Video Solutions UltraHD|Dolby Vision Test Pattern Suite (.mp4) REV_002 Released!!
Sweet! Is this released now? I don't have any new emails. I checked my spam folder too. Nothing.

Last edited by skschatzman; 10-12-2019 at 04:17 PM.
post #1839 of 1863 Old 10-12-2019, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes, It's available now. The official update email will be sent out tomorrow morning. However, in the interim you can utilize the original download link to access REV_002 now. Thanks!

- Ryan M.
post #1840 of 1863 Old 10-12-2019, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi @mascior , may be this has been requested in the past. Could you include the individual patterns in a unique file? I mean e.g., instead of 11 grey scale files, just one file containing the 11 patterns, each of them within a 1 minute. The reason for asking is because when taking measures in a row the display needs to make 2 handshakes for each individual file (back to the menu and next pattern) and it can take 30-35 seconds. I have the patterns in a folder in a mediaplayer, which is my main source.

Thanks in advance,
Mario.
post #1841 of 1863 Old 10-13-2019, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Are there instructions to use each graph? I would like to buy it to calibrate my display, but I have no idea what settings to move for each picture/video
post #1842 of 1863 Old 10-13-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamagar View Post
Hi @mascior , may be this has been requested in the past. Could you include the individual patterns in a unique file? I mean e.g., instead of 11 grey scale files, just one file containing the 11 patterns, each of them within a 1 minute. The reason for asking is because when taking measures in a row the display needs to make 2 handshakes for each individual file (back to the menu and next pattern) and it can take 30-35 seconds. I have the patterns in a folder in a mediaplayer, which is my main source.

Thanks in advance,
Mario.
Why back out to the menu if you are going to the next pattern? Just skip to the next pattern when you are ready for the next reading.
post #1843 of 1863 Old 10-13-2019, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
Why back out to the menu if you are going to the next pattern? Just skip to the next pattern when you are ready for the next reading.
I am using a media player as a source. The folders and files for calibration are in a hard disk and whenever a video (pattern) is finished the media player goes back to SDR. No possibility to go directly from HDR file to the next HDR file. That means 2 handshakes between every pattern.
Classic SDR patterns for calibrate (GCD, DVE-patterns) include all the patterns of a sequence in a single video file, which is much more faster in any case.
post #1844 of 1863 Old 10-13-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamagar View Post
I am using a media player as a source. The folders and files for calibration are in a hard disk and whenever a video (pattern) is finished the media player goes back to SDR. No possibility to go directly from HDR file to the next HDR file. That means 2 handshakes between every pattern.
Classic SDR patterns for calibrate (GCD, DVE-patterns) include all the patterns of a sequence in a single video file, which is much more faster in any case.
I'm still confused. What do you mean there is "no possiblity"? What media player are you using that doesn't have a skip function?
post #1845 of 1863 Old 10-22-2019, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I am using the Masciola disc to calibrate an Optoma UHZ65 that has issues with YUV signals. It is not capable of displaying correctly colour without clipping. This is with HD material as well as with UHD HDR.
Using RGB solves the issue, but it is unconvenient as other components linked up to the VPR through the preamp only output YUV. I have found that by working on the controls embeded in the player (brightness, contrast and saturation) not only I am able to get rid of the colour clipping, but also you can avoid the jump in brightness caused by the dynamic contrast. You actually never see it in operation, but turning the function off clearly displays a less contrast picture in darker scenes as it should do.

The thing is that with the new settings the VPR is displaying up to 10000 nits on the white clipping test pattern. This causes the projector to be less bright than usual. However, colour looks good, especially on skin tones and low light detail is there as well, missing out only on the most difficult scenes.
The settings on the Oppo BDP203 are currently : brightness +3 Contrast +2 Saturation -3. Corrections in brightness and contrast have also been made through the vpr controls to get the black level right.
I am not sure if achieving the full 10000 nits test pattern is something that would prvoke other sort of issues, but I have watched Spiderman into the spiderverse and Alita and both seemed ok, but Spiderman was not as colourfull or eyepopping as when I had the VPR clipping.

Opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
post #1846 of 1863 Old 11-12-2019, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
I'm still confused. What do you mean there is "no possiblity"? What media player are you using that doesn't have a skip function?
On the Oppo UDP-203, when you skip from one file that has HDR to the next, the player output goes from HDR -> SDR -> HDR, which takes about 6-7 seconds before the TV is displaying the next pattern. I wonder if ffmpeg concat would work to stitch the patterns together.
post #1847 of 1863 Old 12-16-2019, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 41
UHD Black & White Movie with HDR Advice

Looking for Advice...now that I've used the patterns to dial in UHD HDR, I'm curious what changes I would use to adjust my picture setting for a Black & White film like the new UHD HDR disc of It's a Wonderful Life.

Epson5040UB - DragonFly DFM Tab 92HC High Contrast (.9 gain) 16:9 Screen - Denon AVRS740H - Klipsch Quintet V +
Klipsch KHC-6 In-Ceiling (Atmos 5.1.2) with SVS PB-1000 - Panasonic UB820 - PS3
post #1848 of 1863 Old 12-18-2019, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi! I've accidentally (it was meant to be here) posted a couple of days ago on Ryan's disc thread about which colorimeter would be fine for me and got some great replies. Now my next question is more focused on this test patterns. It came to my knowledge that projectors can't hit 1000 nits and now I'm concerned how can or if I can "calibrate" HDR mode on my projector (UHD51a)? I should acknowledge that I have zero experience with calibrating (I'm getting a meter by the end of the month) and I just want to get more informed what is possible and what not.

Optoma UHD51A - 106" EliteScreen projector screen- Zidoo X10 - Sony UBP-X800
post #1849 of 1863 Old 12-19-2019, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by teidybugi View Post
Hi! I've accidentally (it was meant to be here) posted a couple of days ago on Ryan's disc thread about which colorimeter would be fine for me and got some great replies. Now my next question is more focused on this test patterns. It came to my knowledge that projectors can't hit 1000 nits and now I'm concerned how can or if I can "calibrate" HDR mode on my projector (UHD51a)? I should acknowledge that I have zero experience with calibrating (I'm getting a meter by the end of the month) and I just want to get more informed what is possible and what not.
You can calibrate it with less than 1,000 not. The device will tone map. You have to be a bit more careful to not mess up the tone map when calibrating, but you can do it. There are lots of LED TVs that don't even hit 1,000 nits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkaquinas View Post
Looking for Advice...now that I've used the patterns to dial in UHD HDR, I'm curious what changes I would use to adjust my picture setting for a Black & White film like the new UHD HDR disc of It's a Wonderful Life.
If you got your gamma in order while doing your calibration (which gray scale should be done BEFORE adjusting color), then there should not be anything else to do for B&W.
galonzo likes this.
post #1850 of 1863 Old 12-19-2019, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc9988 View Post
You can calibrate it with less than 1,000 not. The device will tone map. You have to be a bit more careful to not mess up the tone map when calibrating, but you can do it. There are lots of LED TVs that don't even hit 1,000 nits.If you got your gamma in order while doing your calibration (which gray scale should be done BEFORE adjusting color), then there should not be anything else to do for B&W.
Alright, thank you for replying. At first I'll calibrate SDR, so that I get to know how to calibrate properly. It would help me so much if there would be anyone who actually calibrated the same projector, but that would be too easy :P . I've heard a couple of times now, that you would get much more from of a projector using SDR colors than HDR, which isn't a proper HDR anyway. I'm curious what do you think about that?
ajc9988 likes this.

Optoma UHD51A - 106" EliteScreen projector screen- Zidoo X10 - Sony UBP-X800
post #1851 of 1863 Old 12-19-2019, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by teidybugi View Post
Alright, thank you for replying. At first I'll calibrate SDR, so that I get to know how to calibrate properly. It would help me so much if there would be anyone who actually calibrated the same projector, but that would be too easy . I've heard a couple of times now, that you would get much more from of a projector using SDR colors than HDR, which isn't a proper HDR anyway. I'm curious what do you think about that?
I'm not necessarily the best person to ask on projectors as to whether SDR or HDR would be better. If you were working with a Christie (I think that is the mfr. Of the line I'm thinking of) (premium, super expensive, non-consumer projector), then I'd say HDR. But...
post #1852 of 1863 Old 12-28-2019, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hi Ryan,

Will your pattern support new Colour Space workflow? If yes when?

Thanks
post #1853 of 1863 Old 12-28-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
Quote:
Originally Posted by santodx5 View Post
Hi Ryan,

Will your pattern support new Colour Space workflow? If yes when?

Thanks
It's a little early, don't you think? The beta of ColourSpace isn't even out yet, and probably not until sometime in January.
mrtickleuk likes this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #1854 of 1863 Old 12-28-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 5693 Post(s)
Liked: 8237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
It's a little early, don't you think? The beta of ColourSpace isn't even out yet, and probably not until sometime in January.
Indeed. Perhaps let the guy have his Xmas break, wait for ColourSpace to be out of beta and actually released, and then think about asking that question.
Rolls-Royce likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #1855 of 1863 Old 12-30-2019, 07:50 AM

Halo All,

Can someone help me how to use triplet with calman enthusiast 5.8.1 to calibrate LG OLED C8?

I have never done HDR calibration before , only SDR.

I found LG OLED code 2018 values folder, I need 30% and 100% to measure 2 points, how do i use them?

Thank you
post #1856 of 1863 Old 01-09-2020, 06:35 AM

no support here, I should have not buy the pattern!
post #1857 of 1863 Old 01-09-2020, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Quoted: 4131 Post(s)
Liked: 3277
Quote:
Originally Posted by santodx5 View Post
no support here, I should have not buy the pattern!

Can't help here,I only have Samsungs.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
QN49Q70R / UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 (JS9000 Mod Mode) / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U (JS9000 Mod Mode) / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
post #1858 of 1863 Old 01-09-2020, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Last edited by skschatzman; 01-09-2020 at 05:00 PM.
post #1859 of 1863 Old 02-01-2020, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Purchased and downloaded the files, burnt a Blu-Ray with the MP4s and another one with the .TS files. Panasonic 820 sees the folders but says there are no files in them. Any suggestions?

Andrew
post #1860 of 1863 Old 02-04-2020, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anevard View Post
Purchased and downloaded the files, burnt a Blu-Ray with the MP4s and another one with the .TS files. Panasonic 820 sees the folders but says there are no files in them. Any suggestions?

Andrew
Have you tried putting them on a thumb drive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page