Sony XBR-X940D CalMAN Calibration Discussion - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 48Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #211 of 230 Old 07-10-2017, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,458
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11000 Post(s)
Liked: 6567
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
Actually I haven't tried the motion patterns.

I have never used Motionflow on my Sony TVs before, despite having read Sony's motion interpolation is one of the best in the business. For starters I am very sensitive to it and from a principle point of view, I do not wish to use any form of motion interpolation unless absolutely necessary (like on my old Sony 65HX929 for 3D viewing to get rid of the flickering).

Since True Cinema is not motion intepolation, I do not have a problem using that.

But out of curiousity I will try your Motionflow settings next time I watch a movie to see how it looks.
I understand, because I don't always use Motionflow settings for everything. If you look at the settings file linked in my sig, I tend to avoid any of the settings that process the picture. But just to see where I am coming from, take a look at the test patterns on the S&M disk, especially the Stock Ticker and the pretty girl in the hammock. The differences are eye-opening.
AustinJerry is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #212 of 230 Old 07-10-2017, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
DJR662's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 834
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I understand, because I don't always use Motionflow settings for everything. If you look at the settings file linked in my sig, I tend to avoid any of the settings that process the picture. But just to see where I am coming from, take a look at the test patterns on the S&M disk, especially the Stock Ticker and the pretty girl in the hammock. The differences are eye-opening.
Will do.

I'm always in for comparisons.

Thanks!
DJR662 is online now  
post #213 of 230 Old 08-14-2017, 05:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Near Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Has anyone done an HDR calibration using he R.Masciola test patterns found here?: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...-patterns.html

I got myself an idisplay pro (I believe they also call it an idisplay 3) and am just using the free HCFR software and have a digital video essentials and avs 709 disc so I'm going the cheap route. I was able to get a very accurate SDR grayscale using the 10 point grayscale controls in the tv using AutinJerry's settings as a starting point.

For HDR it seems like the 10 point controls have less of an effect especially on the low end. Also, having the menu on the screen while displaying the patterns has larger influence with HDR vs. SDR so its more of a tedious process.

Any tips or experience anyone can share?

Also, as far as HCFR, if anyone knows, I believe I just need to set color space to: "UHDTV-Rec2020", and check the box for "SMPTE 2084 HDR, for HDR, right? Or do Or are there other settings I'm missing? For color space, there is also an option for: "UHDTV-Rec2020/P3" and "UHDTV-Rec2020" With a quick Google search I couldn't seem to find much about HCFR and HDR. Or maybe those settings don't even matter for grayscale and only come into play for colors.
mfish234 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #214 of 230 Old 08-14-2017, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,458
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11000 Post(s)
Liked: 6567
I have not done anything WRT a HDR calibration. I don't watch enough HDR material to justify the effort at this time.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #215 of 230 Old 08-16-2017, 11:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Near Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris75 View Post
I've linked test patterns about 5 times in this thread and spoke more than once about calibrating for HDR/2084/2020

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...-patterns.html

The long and the short of it is it's a bitch, and we've got to do a LOT of playing around to figure out if we can even do a 10-point

I'm holding off on any MAJOR HDR efforts until my service manual arrives and I determine if I can disable the rolloff for calibration, and maybe LD too hopefully. If it yields nothing though, we're stuck with LD and a nasty rolloff at 70% (on the HDR scale) that we have to sort-of ignore.
@Polaris75 - Did you make any progress doing an HDR calibration? Without being able to disable local dimming and having the menus on the screen severely effecting the test pattern it's very frustrating.

How about the service manual - did that give you the ability to disable the roll off?

Mind sharing the what to press on the remote to access the service menu?

Thanks!
mfish234 is offline  
post #216 of 230 Old 08-16-2017, 11:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Near Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I'm using HCFR and I know this is a Calman focused thread.

However, as far as display type from what I gathered modern Sony Trilluminos TV's uses Blue/Green LED (BG-LED) technology. Is this true and would this be the most accurate display type to select? see: http://www.spectracal.com/forum/view...21b368f9605f66

I've also read other generalized info about Quantum Dot TV's suggesting "White LED" is the most appropriate option.
mfish234 is offline  
post #217 of 230 Old 08-16-2017, 11:42 AM
Member
 
Polaris75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish234 View Post
@Polaris75 - Did you make any progress doing an HDR calibration? Without being able to disable local dimming and having the menus on the screen severely effecting the test pattern it's very frustrating.

How about the service manual - did that give you the ability to disable the roll off?

Mind sharing the what to press on the remote to access the service menu?

Thanks!
No progress, no. It's been so long I don't even remember where I left it either. I think I did a cal and settings for SDR Day, and cal and settings for SDR Night, and then applied the SDR Day colour settings to HDR Video since they are done with higher brightness than the night ones. All in all everything looks damn good, so I've left good enough alone for the last while

Absolutely nothing of use in the service manual - a complete waste of money other than that it allows me to advise others against ordering it and wasting their money. 98% of it is hardware specifications and repair instructions. There is a service menu, it's useless. It offers 2-point white, but I'm not sure why one would do it there rather than where we're already doing it.

The manual is at my girlfriend's place with the TV, so I don't have access to the codes right now - and with how hush-hush everyone always is about the codes, I'm not sure I should just post them in a searchable and indexable thread for all to see and record, lol ... so I'll PM the info to you this weekend when I get my hands on the manual again.
Polaris75 is offline  
post #218 of 230 Old 08-16-2017, 11:44 AM
Member
 
Polaris75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish234 View Post
I'm using HCFR and I know this is a Calman focused thread.

However, as far as display type from what I gathered modern Sony Trilluminos TV's uses Blue/Green LED (BG-LED) technology. Is this true and would this be the most accurate display type to select? see: http://www.spectracal.com/forum/view...21b368f9605f66

I've also read other generalized info about Quantum Dot TV's suggesting "White LED" is the most appropriate option.
Blue/Green is correct
Polaris75 is offline  
post #219 of 230 Old 08-16-2017, 11:47 AM
Member
 
Polaris75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish234 View Post
Also, as far as HCFR, if anyone knows, I believe I just need to set color space to: "UHDTV-Rec2020", and check the box for "SMPTE 2084 HDR, for HDR, right? Or do Or are there other settings I'm missing? For color space, there is also an option for: "UHDTV-Rec2020/P3" and "UHDTV-Rec2020" With a quick Google search I couldn't seem to find much about HCFR and HDR. Or maybe those settings don't even matter for grayscale and only come into play for colors.

This sounds correct to me, I have zero experience with HCFR though.
Polaris75 is offline  
post #220 of 230 Old 08-16-2017, 12:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Near Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 126
@Polaris75 - Thanks man! I appreciate all the feedback on eveyrthing I was inquiring about. Don't worry about the service manual code - no need to go in there if just gives access to a basic w point white.

Thanks for confirming BG LED too.

I'll try again with HDR with HCFR but I'm kind of in your boat. If I use my SDR day calibration it looks pretty damn good. Even if I could get 5% - 10% better probably not worth the aggravation.

That spectral link you posted was a good informative read too. Of course now I'm second guessing what to use for test patterns (which disk, mobile forge, etc.), APL size, etc. Ahhh!
mfish234 is offline  
post #221 of 230 Old 01-19-2018, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,458
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11000 Post(s)
Liked: 6567
Anyone who is interested in learning about HDR calibration might be interested in participating in a HDR Calibration Webinar being offered by SpectraCAL on Feb 14, 2018. You can sign up for the webinar here: https://calman.spectracal.com/webinars.html
Polaris75 and hydrotex like this.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #222 of 230 Old 01-20-2018, 01:32 PM
Senior Member
 
hydrotex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Anyone who is interested in learning about HDR calibration might be interested in participating in a HDR Calibration Webinar being offered by SpectraCAL on Feb 14, 2018. You can sign up for the webinar here: https://calman.spectracal.com/webinars.html


Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony 940D
Sony 940E
Anthem MRX 520
Oppo 203
Oppo 103D
hydrotex is offline  
post #223 of 230 Old 10-14-2018, 03:37 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can anyone provide any guidance about this. My 940d has some odd processing on dimly-lit HDR scenes. These attached photos aren't the best, but if you look to the sides of the screen you will see a faint zebra crossing type effect. It's alternating light and dark. I only see it on HDR material, and I've fiddled with every setting possible. Maybe it's just the LCD handles tough material? But if there is a way to get rid of it, I'd be very grateful!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	2468494   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2468496   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	2468498   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0007.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	2468500  
MovieBuff360 is offline  
post #224 of 230 Old 10-15-2018, 12:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
Sal1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central FL
Posts: 689
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBuff360 View Post
Can anyone provide any guidance about this. My 940d has some odd processing on dimly-lit HDR scenes. These attached photos aren't the best, but if you look to the sides of the screen you will see a faint zebra crossing type effect. It's alternating light and dark. I only see it on HDR material, and I've fiddled with every setting possible. Maybe it's just the LCD handles tough material? But if there is a way to get rid of it, I'd be very grateful!

Try this,

While TV is in the HDR mode, turn Motion Flow to anything but OFF, I use True Cinema. Custom with Smoothness at 3 and Clearness at Min also works well. Beware raising Clearness above Min will darken the picture significantly.


Also have Auto Local Dimming activated and set to Medium.


That should help IIRC

Sony XBR75-X940D, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satalites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Clementine bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
Sal1950 is offline  
post #225 of 230 Old 10-15-2018, 03:39 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
SAL, YOU ARE MY HERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

I've been trying to get rid of this artifact for months, thinking it was a calibration issue, or maybe something to do with my Oppo 205. Never did I dream that the solution was in the Motion Control section! Okay, now I have to read up on this, but THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal1950 View Post
Try this,

While TV is in the HDR mode, turn Motion Flow to anything but OFF, I use True Cinema. Custom with Smoothness at 3 and Clearness at Min also works well. Beware raising Clearness above Min will darken the picture significantly.


Also have Auto Local Dimming activated and set to Medium.


That should help IIRC
MovieBuff360 is offline  
post #226 of 230 Old 10-15-2018, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
Sal1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central FL
Posts: 689
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBuff360 View Post
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!
No problem, glad I could help.
If you search in the 75-940D owners thread you'll find where the problem seemed to be discovered after one of the firmware updates back maybe a year or so. I don't remember that there was anything else to learn, except that one of our members found this work-around.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...rice-talk.html

Sony XBR75-X940D, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satalites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Clementine bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
Sal1950 is offline  
post #227 of 230 Old 02-17-2019, 07:26 AM
Senior Member
 
BJBBJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Due to a new pattern generator I am going to tweak my old calibration of my 940D for HDR. As a starting point I wanted to put cuts/gains/10 point back to standard for my expert 2 as a starting point. So gains at max, cuts to 0, and 10 point to zero on my expert 2 preset.

Can someone remind me why the factory supplied "neutral" color temp preset which has the exact same settings looks significantly different as a starting point? Same gains, cuts and 10 point. Must be a different starting point?

I don't want to use neutral, I just want to make sure I am starting with expert 2 at baseline. That reset option scares me as I don't want to lose ALL my settings. I want to keep my current calibration as expert 1 for now.

I am wondering what setting I missed after all this time not poking around in there.

Also, do I recall that -2 was the closest to 2.4 gamma? I will use BT.1886 which will approximate 2.4 but you know what I mean.

Thanks,
BJBBJB
BJBBJB is offline  
post #228 of 230 Old 02-17-2019, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 11,312
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3778 Post(s)
Liked: 3606
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJBBJB View Post
Due to a new pattern generator I am going to tweak my old calibration of my 940D for HDR. As a starting point I wanted to put cuts/gains/10 point back to standard for my expert 2 as a starting point. So gains at max, cuts to 0, and 10 point to zero on my expert 2 preset.



Can someone remind me why the factory supplied "neutral" color temp preset which has the exact same settings looks significantly different as a starting point? Same gains, cuts and 10 point. Must be a different starting point?



I don't want to use neutral, I just want to make sure I am starting with expert 2 at baseline. That reset option scares me as I don't want to lose ALL my settings. I want to keep my current calibration as expert 1 for now.



I am wondering what setting I missed after all this time not poking around in there.



Also, do I recall that -2 was the closest to 2.4 gamma? I will use BT.1886 which will approximate 2.4 but you know what I mean.



Thanks,

BJBBJB


The various color temps have
different cuts and gains in the service menu they are calibrated at the factory to different color temps.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
chunon is online now  
post #229 of 230 Old 02-17-2019, 06:25 PM
Senior Member
 
BJBBJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
The various color temps have
different cuts and gains in the service menu they are calibrated at the factory to different color temps.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I thought I remembered something different where neutral was....well, neutral but now realize that is for one of my other TVs. With cuts gains at zero for each this makes sense. The other display literally has different cuts gains for each preset.
Thanks,
BJBBJB

Last edited by BJBBJB; 02-17-2019 at 06:30 PM.
BJBBJB is offline  
post #230 of 230 Old 07-02-2019, 03:24 PM
Newbie
 
Captain Stereo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
FWIW, I also checked whether switching between 4:2:2 @12-bit and 4:4:4 @10-bit would have any effect on White Balance settings. The answer is no, the effect is negligible. I am sticking with 4:2:2 @12-bit.
Hi AustinJerry,

I hope I'm not asking too much here, but could you tell me how you arrived at the settings you note for 10-point white balance for the 940D? I don't have test equipment to gauge if mine is accurate or not as who knows how much sample variations there are. I still feel like my set doesn't have quite the punch I would expect it to have (I fully embrace an accurate picture and don't need vivid mode garbage, but with HDR content, I would expect a set at this level to have more.....something.

Also, I still don't know how to access the settings you refer to as magically being connected to your signature somehow. Once I click on your signature, where do I click next!?!

Thank you much!

-Scott.
Captain Stereo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Display Calibration

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off