***Official B/C/E/G6P OLED Calibration Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 682Likes

post #721 of 2010 Old 01-21-2017, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4529 Post(s)
Liked: 5530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze_Ice View Post
Funny thing. When forcing my E6 into HDR from my PC (via Nvidia HDR SDK), and viewing Ted's full grayscale pattern (rows of boxes with +/-1% increments and columns of 5% increments) did produce anomalies (49% was noticably blue, with 48% and 50% fine).
Sure I was forcing HDR, but Masciola's HDR patterns matched what I saw from using the same patterns via USB stick on the display, so naturally I was concerned that this might have been something I couldn't see with any other pattern (ramps would be to small, no other way to see this 49% in HDR mode since you can't force HDR10 on).

Concerned as I was, I asked Mr. Masciola nicely and he provided for me a proper HDR triplet pattern for the target in question, which checks out fine.

So if anyone is thinking about forcing HDR and rolling with SDR pattern sources, I recommend proper patterns
I've never tried that but the HDR calibration is so complicated that it's best to use the correct HDR patterns.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2010 Old 01-21-2017, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1709 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Jim he is not worth your time , there may be some knowledge in there but you can't get to that without dealing with the hostility. In addition add in the slander and constant insults against Chad and you get a poster that obviously has some mental issues.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I just reported him to the moderator. Others might want to do the same.
post #723 of 2010 Old 01-21-2017, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 142
So the guy that goes against a "please tell it to me in simple yes/no terms - I want to make this a poll" stance - can't be correct, because he is openly angry - that people see this as a service economy.

Here is what you can see as a service economy -

- Most experts in here are active to sell you products or services. And while this is fine most of the time - it also comes at a cost.

- No reviewer told you that on this years LG OLED TV HDR10 is not future proof (because to get dynamic metadata (which is essential for the coming years) it will probably require the next HDMI standard) and Dolby Vision isn't configurable. They all (?) ignored it and instead asked "If it had the right label" - because the last product guy they talked to said their product had the right label.

- This community championed an on video misconfiguration of a TV by two of their "most trusted" pubic figures and congratulated them on the configuration, then recommended the video to others who were "learning".

- This community almost uniformly remained silent on the following issues.

_Color metamerism failure quadrupling.
_bt 1886 breaking.
_rec709 never being and actual standard because of a disagreement on gamma.
_Calman lying on Color metamerism fixes for OLED
_severe issues in the HDR Bluray workflow that meant, that what was delivered was all over the place and not according to spec

Thats within the last two years.

Instead they sold you on hype.

In this world of a-list issues, every one of them severe enough to question what the "foundation" and "clubs" in this sector where doing at all - people got confused enough, that they now are asking for fake solutions to problems no one is talking about - because a software vendor, wrongly, recommended it "for all OLEDs".

And when you start explaining that to people -

- you get a "i don't wan't to be bothered really - could you just tell me yes or no?" response.
-

And if you don't take it, you get the usual gang up on social grounds ("I know you - I don't like HIM either."), because people don't see - how their behavior could have caused any distress - as they see "not reading what was posted - and asking for a service - then being tired of reading again, and asking for the service in a simple yes/no fashion" woulndt be totally ok.

This community not caring at all about their "calibration myths" breaking left and right, and as a result you see people asking if they should implement fake solutions. Then the same people start asking for their answers in a shorter fashion - actually, if you could answer that in a yes/no way, that would be swell.

Then being miffed, if you get a verbal scolding (together with a detailed explaination, for why what you were asking for is impossible (/fake)), and suggesting that people should blacklist others if they don't like how you ask for a service.

Then doubling down and announcing - I don't like what that guy said to me, so I choose to believe it is untrue. (*Because it will probably make him more angry**haha*)

I havent looked up millenial for a wile in a dictionary (as I am one myself -) but, I ought to do that some time...

Also -

If you ask a question in a public forum - you don't chose how long or detailed the answers from people are that choose to reply.

If you wan't a poll - go and make one. But be ensured, that if it is about a "fake solution" I will pop up and say that it is about a fake solution. Regardless if you "liked that solution in the past" or not.

Now for purposes of mediation -

What have I done wrong?

I've accused a person of wanting simple solutions and not caring about issues. Then I garnished it with a sarcastic Trump joke. That was the extent of me misbehaving.

Then I talked a bit about this also being a systemic issue - that I confront online, whenever I see it. I also generalized to do that.

Last edited by harlekin; 01-21-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 2010 Old 01-21-2017, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 1581
Jim, I don't like the Judd Vos on the LG OLEDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post
Sony and some others in the industry recommend using spectrometers set to the Judd Vos modified 2 degree CMF for OLED displays. I tried that for the day mode calibration... For the night mode, I switched back to the standard 1931 CIE 2 degree setting. I found the standard 1931 CIE setting gave the most neutral looking white balance, with the Judd mod setting appearing a bit cool and giving a slightly reddish cast to skin tones.

touring ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 and Klein K-10
Latest reviews:JVC RS540, JVC RS3000, Sony VPL-VW695ES
Copied settings measured, Review archive
post #725 of 2010 Old 01-21-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post
Jim, I don't like the Judd Vos on the LG OLEDs.
Came to the same conclusion this evening using Chromasurf's judd vos option. A bit on the red side of neutral.

Just thinking out loud, its like you should use the 1931 standard observer curve and go back over it with judd vos and only adjust blue.
post #726 of 2010 Old 01-21-2017, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
I've never tried that but the HDR calibration is so complicated that it's best to use the correct HDR patterns.
I just simply forgot I had HDR mode on at the time (was planning on checking my 709 setup for color shifts).
jrref likes this.
post #727 of 2010 Old 01-21-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlekin View Post
- you get a "i don't wan't to be bothered really - could you just tell me yes or no?" response.
I think what he was trying to say is that this information has been scattered around in posts on the forums and not in a centralized area.
This thread is already 25 pages long.

And this was a fairly simple yes or no answer.
Mine is no, I'm not using judd voss.

I don't understand the observer models, but shouldn't each one have their own different targets for the same patterns due to spectral behavior differences? I'll try reading that thread Zoyd started on it again and see if anything clicks. I'd assume LG would have mentioned or hinted at a different observer model should be used for measurements, so I don't think judd voss has any reason to be used.

Although adjusting blue via judd voss is an interesting idea. This seems to be the most temperamental color on my E6 (sometimes very small changes and then a big step and back to small steps). I think this is more likely caused by voltlage though.
post #728 of 2010 Old 01-22-2017, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked: 795
I know there are some purists out there, but does anyone turn on anything in settings to help with cable (Directv in my case) compression and artifacts? Channels and shows are hit or miss but I'll take a little bit cleaner picture over a "pure" picture. Just wondering...thanks.
post #729 of 2010 Old 01-23-2017, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
I think what he was trying to say is that this information has been scattered around in posts on the forums and not in a centralized area.
This thread is already 25 pages long.

And this was a fairly simple yes or no answer.
Mine is no, I'm not using judd voss.
Not trying to continue the quarrel - but thats wrong.

THis is an issue of if we wan't to take "calibrations myths", "polls", "I dont know WWCD (What would Chad do)", over any factual explanations, why the Judd Voss observer curve would be needed.

Its a "religion" over "science" argument.

Sony acted irresponsibly, when they recommended it on one OLED model - because to them it was a quick marketing solution to go with it.

Spectracal acted highly irresponsibly when they suggested it would be for OLEDs (lie) it would be good for OLEDs (lie) and it would help solve the metamerism failure issue (lie).

Chad B is acting irresponsibly by supporting the notion that this is something that you could be put down to a poll, and by making this a "social event", or even a vote.

All others that are following Chad Bs example are acting irresponsibly by giving this the touch of a social event, where in the end the power of "several guys staring at goats" (basically) would lead to any discernable knowledge.

Its not the answer itself, its the way you come to the conclusion.
--

The issue is, that it doesn't matter what Chad B sees, or says - nor does it matter what I see or say, or the giy asking the question sees or says - as the the issue still fundamentally is - that color metamerism failure means, that people aren seeing the same color, when the look at the same screen.

Doing polls is useless and silly - because NO majority opinion will help solve this issue.

Suggesting a CMF that only ever tells you to push blue some more also doesnt even come close to anything that would mitigate the issue.

Not only isn't Judd Voss the solution here, its not the solution for color metamerism failure related issues EVER. Not even on that one Sony OLED.

This entire scene, has a severe problem of believing in stuff where rational explainations are long gone. And people choose to do it, simply because they put trust into other people that have - very strong incentives to lie, when they see their livelyhood endangered.

This is not such a case. This is a case of the explaination for why anyone should use "Judd Voss on OLEDs" being utterly wrong and nonsensical. On factual grounds. Judd Voss is not made to solve the issue, Judd Voss is not capable to solve the issue, its an issue that doesn't affect OLEDs more or less than other current display technologies to begin with - and the only reason why we are talking about it, and not about the actual issue (color metamerism failure quadrupling), is because some utter idiots populariced the wrong things, on the wrong generalized technology, as a fake solution.

Now - thats not going to be solved by a poll about the popularity of using that "fix".

Also you aren't helping if you pronounce "you liked it in the past...".
-

The thing is, when 1932 2° breaks (the issue Sony had with their OLEDs and no one agreeing on the color of white they would see), you cant just choose the next best CMF and announce, that it would fix the issue -

when the science doesnt support it.

In fact, color scientists worked for about three years to find a solution to this issue and threw hundereds of CMFs (their arent anything special - they are mathematic models that predict how "normal" people see colors --) at the problem to understand it (thats called a simulation - which is done in addition to actual scientific experiments on perception), with the result being, that there was no simple "replacement CMF" that would solve the issue (people all of a sudden not agreeing on color perception on newer displays any more). Period.

Some suggested to seperate all people into five or six groups, and getting in people that needed calibrated screens for testing in which group they would fall, then tell them which CMF to use - but guess what - the "Lets just ignore the issue, and continue on -" fraction won, because - the "solution" wasn't seen as commercially viable.
-

So PLEASE - take care, why you "immitate" a proposed solution, and take at least some pride in knowing what you do instead of "listening to your good friend Chad B".

Chad B propagates quite a few myths in a long day - like "what gamma to use for bt 709 calibrations based on how the crow flies, and on what step of his ladder the weather frog sat in the morning".

And simply trying to mimic opinions has brought this "scene" into the mess it is in at the moment.

If there are actual factual explainations for why something works or not - try to learn them for yourself - to keep the "experts" honest. Otherwise they will just come up with best practices all day - that have no factual underpinnings, and pronounce thing standards, that arent in any way capable of standardizing anything.

(bt 1886, "Chad Bs gamma curve", Spectracal recomending Judd Voss for OLED, Sony trying to get out of the publics eye by pronouncing Judd Voss as a fix in the first place, ... all those are unsubstantiated myths. Fake solutions, that get sold to people who are buying trust, but don't care to learn or understand things in the first place.)

And the thing is, even if "guy" liked a "Judd Voss calibration on a plasma in the past" - guess what, it leads to perceptuall different results on all other TVs -- depending on the spectrum of that TV. Thats the issue in the first place. Thats also why CIE 1932 2° is breaking.

So in addition to the "color metamerism failure issue meaning, that everyone sees colors differently", it also means that "optimal "average" CMF, changes from TV to TV" (not from "display technology to display technology" as in "there are five on the market").

So please don't try to put that into a believe system - where you would find the solution in asking five people on an internet forum "what CMF is best?" for OLED. Please yes/no - reading is hard.

Also shame on you Chaad B for entering in the "no no - just give them what they wan't - if the ask WWCD, you give them what they ask for" mode of answering, because its actually an unethical thing to do in this case.

Also - the thing with science is - when a theory holds up 90% of the way - and then only breaks for lets say 10% of implied use cases - you call it a failure, and shut the theory down.

In "color science" you ignore it for the better part of three years, and teach people fake solutions to those "applications" where it became somewhat public that something went wrong.

Like Sony having to admit - that one of their OLEDs produced colors, that for a significant population in the color correction market didnt look, as they should have - according to measurements, and the CIE 1932 2° model (the industry standard for calibration).

There is a huge issue there as well, and I don't just want people to ignore it, and to resort to

"What would Chad B do" or
"What's best?"

polling of the electorate instead.

"How do you feel?!" isn't always the answer, nor is it always the right question to ask (millenials...) - listening to "experts" isn't always either.

But let me tell you this "please only answer with yes/no" is just as anti-intellectual as it is anti-democratic. If issues come up, and you wan't to basically "ban" their discussion - I will do everything in my power to stop that process.

Last edited by harlekin; 01-23-2017 at 08:29 AM.
post #730 of 2010 Old 01-23-2017, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 1581
Ouch! I think I'd better go find a safe space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RickD_99, JimP, chunon and 3 others like this.

touring ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 and Klein K-10
Latest reviews:JVC RS540, JVC RS3000, Sony VPL-VW695ES
Copied settings measured, Review archive
post #731 of 2010 Old 01-23-2017, 12:40 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1991 Post(s)
Liked: 1441
^ The official B/C/D OLED calibration and soapbox thread

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
post #732 of 2010 Old 01-23-2017, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1808 Post(s)
Liked: 3582
time for the Moderator to ask all to move on

and please limit posts to technical issues

thanks

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #733 of 2010 Old 01-23-2017, 09:01 PM

Using my all powerful potato-vision, I've took a shot of HDR color ramps on my E6.

This is EXTREMELY exaggerated for ease of visibility and looks nothing like this.
Color at ~20, RGBCMY all at -30 luminance in CMS controls.

I want to share my opinion based on my observation after many hours of playing around learning the behavior of my E6.

It's been mentioned that CMS causes artifacts.
I believe this to be false.
From my observation, these artifacts already exist and adjusting CMS controls is not causing or creating additional artifacts. Changes in saturation
You can see this to be true if you look at clipping patterns like the attached one.
Red being the only exception.

As I mentioned, my capture is extremely exaggerated .
Red: Most obvious banding. Res is the ONLY color with "dynamic" banding, it constantly changes with luminance (lower/raise contrast and watch it change) . Can be fixed!
Green: Most consistent banding (size, spacing, frequency). Can clip to match grayscale. Could not fix.
Blue: Hardest to see banding, majority of blue banding lies between 50% and 90%. Can clip to match grayscale. Could not fix.
Yellow: The worst color. Has some tinted bands, mostly red, along with brighter/darker ones. Bands on ramp occur in a pattern: each "big step" starts bright then "dithers" to a darker color until the next big step. Could not clip with grayscale luminance. Could not clip with oversaturation. Could not fix.
Cyan: Same as yellow, minus the color tinted bands. Could not clip with grayscale luminance. Does clip with oversaturation. Could not fix.
Magenta: Same as Cyan. Could not clip with grayscale luminance. Can clip with oversaturation. Could not fix.
All Secondary luminance is "bumpy" after control point 668 where peak rolloff begins. My potato doesn't capture this well for magenta, but it's just as noticeable as it is with yellow and cyan).
Saturation control: Existing color artifacts react strongly to saturation changes. It does not make artifacts, but can make them more obvious (i.e. gives the illusion of "fixing" one area and "breaking" another, both were "broken" to begin with you just didn't notice).
Tint control: I saw no unusual behavior or interactions with color artifacts. This IS NOT THE SAME AS GLOBAL TINT. You cannot "fix" red with CMS tint, I don't know why they behave differently.
Luminance control: Can be used to clip primary luminance with the grayscale to remove luminance bumps in clipped white region

I've not had a full grayscale match LGs calibration procedures' targets, but from what I've seen it appears the closer your grayscale matches the procedure targets, the fewer color errors you will have (again, check by lowering Color).

With the exception of Yellow and Cyan, CMS could be manipulated to keep things under control.
I did not try to calibrate colors yet. I was simply adjusting to reduce visible anomalies observed on ramp patterns. My goal was not to be accurate and to "make it look right".
I know my eye's are lying sacks of dung lol.

I made a potato-movie showing this kind of artifacts many pages ago. This also shows the "dynamic banding" of red as I lower Color, then proceeded to "fix" this issue.
Recap: I Lowered Color for easy visibility and then Increased Tint towards green until gone, then returned color to what it was before. Voila, red without artifacts.
THIS TRICK DID NOT WORK ON OTHER COLORS

Anyone care to share their experience or observations of the CMS?

I've yet to play with some other service menu controls, so I plan to see if I can at least get all to clip with grayscale by manipulating color clipping.
I might also play with some of the power controls to see if this has any effect on these color issues or alleviate any interface artifacts (helped a little on my LM7600 by stabilizing the panel "phases".

Speaking of interface artifacts...
When you open the settings menu, you can see the red highlight bleeds all the way across the screen, even bleeding into content.
Also, if you look closely at the "bands" that are visible on near blacks, each of them correspond to an interface element even if it's not shown. This includes full screen interfaces.
This seems to be a common issue with LG displays. It's there on all displays, and once you notice it you will never be able to ignore it again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0091.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1915817  
mo949 likes this.
post #734 of 2010 Old 01-24-2017, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Hello guys, I with other Italian friends with probe to the hand, and 'three months that we're working on these OLEDs, we took some interesting ideas from all of you, and comparing ourselves among ourselves we found a guideline to work best with these OLEDs LG and I want to share it with you.

1: It 's not true that the RGB and luminance controls create artifacts, whoever says otherwise should prove it.

2: The problem that no one has ever observed and 'the GAMUT NORMAL setting, any of you can' put the 54 minutes of Prometheus and see a strange effect around the torch, if you put on WIDE GAMUT become a uniform blue light as it should , but this happens on most points of each movie, you just know what to look for, generally GAMUT NORMAL creates a light magenta effect that is not 'original film, this happens in any calibration or not, everyone can check.

3: With GAMUT WIDE we noticed that the CMS works much better and it still manages to fit in a good DE as per screen below, starting with 43 color and then working on the CMS.

4: If you find a faithful calibration, the best starting point and 'range from 1.9 tv and search 2.22 range in the calibration, this is' the best exit from the black can, grading and scalability' of the first ire and 'much more correct than with other preset range.
This involves a major operation on the command luminance even down to -45 or -50 WITHOUT CREATING ANY KIND OF PROBLEM, and here we should applaud LG for how the controls work properly. Here a screen Greyscale 1.9 @ 2.22 and 100nits

5: 4 In these days our users bought Eecolor, one taken directly from TED and we are considering how he works.
Here you will find the first results with EECOLOR
http://www.avmagazine.it/forum/140-d...70#post4685270
RichB likes this.

Last edited by Carlo46; 01-24-2017 at 08:45 AM.
post #735 of 2010 Old 01-24-2017, 08:41 AM

here is an example of gamut Wide and NORMAL in the movie 'Pirates of the Caribbean'.
It 'been amplified a little error to highlight the problem, and I remember that happening either isf calibrated OR not calibrated!

GAMUT NORMAL

GAMUT WIDE
mo949 likes this.
post #736 of 2010 Old 01-24-2017, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo46 View Post

3: With GAMUT WIDE we noticed that the CMS works much better and it still manages to fit in a good DE as per screen below, starting with 43 color and then working on the CMS.
I'll try out the movies to see if I have magenta (don't recall seeing it before). Is the 100% dE around 4, and how did the ColorChecker patterns turn out?

Last edited by ntalwar; 01-24-2017 at 09:39 AM.
post #737 of 2010 Old 01-24-2017, 09:48 AM

You're right, 100% go out, but it remains difficult to notice in normal vision, and how many movies have color 100%? , Easier to see DEMO with 100% saturation, and still again, just find that error in GAMUT NORMAL know where you see it and will see it often, then confirm, the Fleshtones DE are about 2.5 DE, even here there would be a long speech to do, there are two solutions, or have nice Fleshtones with DE 1, and can be easily reached by moving HUE in G9, or looking for a good GAMUT as I wanted it, and 'a choice.
Riproto now two photos made with a calibration WIDE GAMUT manual, and one with calibration WIDE GAMUT with EECOLOR, and you will notice that there are no differences !!!

GAMUT WIDE

EECOLOR + GAMUT WIDE
post #738 of 2010 Old 01-24-2017, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
It's been mentioned that CMS causes artifacts.
I believe this to be false.
I havent messed around much with HDR adjusting. However, is it possible that changing CMS values in HDR mode doesn't in fact cause artifacts while in standard mode it does? I do believe most of the people, from what I read, are adjusting in SDR mode and seeing artifacts. Thoughts?

Kris S
post #739 of 2010 Old 01-24-2017, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
Without an EEcolor box can you calibrate the WIDE color gamut down to Rec 709 pretty faithfully using just the cms controls?
post #740 of 2010 Old 01-24-2017, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

I'll try out Wide and color 43 on one of my open ports. Was tint adjusted and how much cms adjustment was needed - thanks.
post #741 of 2010 Old 01-24-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Hello guys, I with other Italian friends with probe to the hand, and 'three months that we're working on these OLEDs, ......
Thanks for you and your friends efforts.

I'm presuming that you're calibrating a 1080 input and not UHD? Is that correct?

I'm interested in your wide color gamut approach. Will have to give that a try.

Calibration equipment wise, what kind of colorimeter and spectro are you using?
post #742 of 2010 Old 01-24-2017, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6062
I enjoy studying before and after charts, especially before or as found.

Does anyone have any knowledge of any potential semi calibration process these go through on the line?

What I notice is, that the 2016 models seem to be quite good with grayscale out of the box (considering a few years ago) and even the HDR modes are pretty good. Are they just that consistent and some sort of averaging is in play, or is LG doing some QC adjustments periodically to ensure these displays come off the line with a pretty good out of box image?
post #743 of 2010 Old 01-24-2017, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
here is an example of gamut Wide and NORMAL in the movie 'Pirates of the Caribbean'.
It 'been amplified a little error to highlight the problem, and I remember that happening either isf calibrated OR not calibrated!

GAMUT NORMAL

GAMUT WIDE
I checked this out today on my C6-65 today, I don't have this anywhere near what you have posted. Infact setting the TV to wide make a lot of other stuff look over saturated way too much.
ConnecTEDDD and jrref like this.

Last edited by nathug75; 01-24-2017 at 12:38 PM.
post #744 of 2010 Old 01-24-2017, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I would like to recommend that we all start mentioning what version and size of the LG OLED we have. There are some great tip and settings on this thread, but not all work with each version and/or size of the TV!! I bet half the heated discussion wouldn't happen.
post #745 of 2010 Old 01-24-2017, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkms View Post
I havent messed around much with HDR adjusting. However, is it possible that changing CMS values in HDR mode doesn't in fact cause artifacts while in standard mode it does? I do believe most of the people, from what I read, are adjusting in SDR mode and seeing artifacts. Thoughts?
In standard don't cause artifacts for sure.
If you look something strange around the face or skin tones it is very probably caused by two point:
1 - poor source
2 - wrong adjustment of CMS (if Red require -1 luma and i put -5, in example)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
Without an EEcolor box can you calibrate the WIDE color gamut down to Rec 709 pretty faithfully using just the cms controls?
Hi, without the eeColor it is possible adjust from 0 to 90% and the colorchecker skin tones it is really good (I'm thinking it is really difficult to find color on movie above 90% saturation, but i can get it wrong, what do you think?)

Setting 1.9 can expose "glowing black", someone of us don't care and use 1.9 without problem, other fix this glow lowering the 2 point cut.
For me, in dark room, with eye adjusted, lowering the Blue and the Green cut to -10 adjust this "glow", and a full field 16,16,16 appear the same of a power-off tv.
So, if exist 16 level on movie, this is pure inky black, if can't see this pure inky black, simple don't exist on the movie.

The 1.9 setting required to lowering luminance at 5ire, because at default it is very extreme.

Near black related gamma with 1.9 setting is the best near-black choice, because 2ire, 3ire,4ire,5ire (i don't have a Klein) measured near the same gamma point (with right adjustment).

Instead, gamma 2.2, 2.4 and bt1886 measure more closed on black in the first level (with the same 5ire gamma point).

I don't understand where are this overestimated issue in the near black of this Oled.
I can understand, instead, that issue is in the source (or in the grading of the source).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathug75 View Post
I would like to recommend that we all start mentioning what version and size of the LG OLED we have. There are some great tip and settings on this thread, but not all work with each version and/or size of the TV!! I bet half the heated discussion wouldn't happen.
We have a group, some with 65E, other with 55E, other with 55B
mo949 likes this.

Last edited by BlueSkyDiver; 01-24-2017 at 12:45 PM.
post #746 of 2010 Old 01-24-2017, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
BlueSkyDiver, thank you for your thoughts and experience on this one. After my break in period when I look forward to get a chance to play with mine for a while with my id3. Mine will be the 65C.
post #747 of 2010 Old 01-24-2017, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Quoted: 4529 Post(s)
Liked: 5530
Concerning artifacts ^^^

Early on for the 2016's, the CMS controls created artifacts because on some of the colors, the controls didn't move the settings much, so people would make huge adjustments which then caused the artifacts. I remember a time where you couldn't adjust blue for example. After some of the initial firmware updates, the CMS controls were fixed but even today, if you make too drastic of an adjustment, ex, red, then you can create artifacts pretty easily in both SDR and HDR. If you want to see them, make a large adjustment in the Red saturation or luminance controls then play some content. You will start to see them in the skin tones first.
RIppolito, Chad B, mo949 and 2 others like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #748 of 2010 Old 01-24-2017, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6062
Quote:
Concerning artifacts ^^^

Early on for the 2016's, the CMS controls created artifacts because on some of the colors, the controls didn't move the settings much, so people would make huge adjustments which then caused the artifacts. I remember a time where you couldn't adjust blue for example. After some of the initial firmware updates, the CMS controls were fixed but even today, if you make too drastic of an adjustment, ex, red, then you can create artifacts pretty easily in both SDR and HDR. If you want to see them, make a large adjustment in the Red saturation or luminance controls then play some content. You will start to see them in the skin tones first.

Thanks, I was wondering about that. I saw it early reviews, but I also knew the 16's have had a couple of PQ type updates.
post #749 of 2010 Old 01-24-2017, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Concerning artifacts ^^^

If they are making firmware update that affect CMS adjustments, does that mean we will have to recalibrate afterwards?
Ron
post #750 of 2010 Old 01-24-2017, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Anyone know any calibrators in the Raleigh, NC area?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page