AVS Forum banner

LightSpace Connect - Android, iOS, and Mac App

22K views 115 replies 20 participants last post by  Brho0m13 
#1 · (Edited)
Just a bit of advance news for those using LightSpace CMS.

We're presently playing with an Alpha version of a new Android/iOS patch generator App for LightSpace/ColourSpace.
At the moment we have just the Android version under test (mainly 'cos I don't like Apple stuff, so will have to locate some for testing...), but initial tests look good.

The App should run on Android and Apple mobile phones, Firestick, Chromecast, AppleTV, etc.
(Probably some restrictions depending on the device used, but that's yet to be proven.)

Testing at the moment has been on a Samsung Galaxy S5, both profiling the phone screen, as well as profiling a TV via Screen Mirroring and MHL HDMI cable.

Not yet sure on a release date, as more testing is required, but felt the LightSpace CMS users here would like an advanced update.

The App is also compatible with Mac PCs.

Steve

See less See more
#92 ·
Hi,

Can you please tell me whether LightSpace Connect is able to display patches from DCI-P3 color space, which are outside of REC709?

I want to calibrate my TV for HDR10 (Samsung Q60).
I am using Lightspace CMS, I have specified "DCI-P3 D65" as Colour Standard Target.
In Option I have tried to set Patch Scale to 64-940 or 0-1023 but unfortunately I can only set maximum to 0-255, is that OK? :confused:
In my Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K in Display settings I have specified 1080p@24Hz, RGB 10 bit, HDR always. This kicked in the HDR mode of my TV.
Then I have launched Lightspace Connect and executed profiling in Lightspace CMS.

Unfortunately it matched only Rec709 gamut. Is it due to patch scale in Lightspace CMS or I am missing something?

Please help me to understand.
Thank you.

#93 ·
You need another component such as an HDFury box to inject the correct metadata into the signal. Just setting your FireStick to "HDR Always" doesn't do that. Although the TV goes into HDR mode, the patterns are not correct for HDR. And you should be specifying Rec 2020.

#94 ·
I own the Amazona FireTV 4k. lightspace free version , I1displaypro , jvc 7900 projector ,

i plan to connect the firetv4k to the bluray palyer cxuhd (cambridge audio) to the storm isp intergrated AV to the jvc projector is this acceptable.

FireTV 4k has RGB and YCbCr selectable output.

with respect to the above for the jvc to be calibrated to color space dci p3 ( can the ligtspace connect app on firetv4k generate the patterns for dci p3 ?) and if so following are the queries in relation to this ;

1) what's the correct patch scale setting in Lightspace when using Lightspace Connect on the Amazon FireTV4

2) what color format to be selected between auto , RGB and YCbCr in the display settings in the Firetv4k

3) what color depth setting in the firetv4k to be selected between 8 , 10 And 12 bits

4)what video resolution in Ftv4k to be selected

thanks

#95 ·
The LS Connect app on iOS and TvOS both support P3 patch generation. Credit to @Anger.miki for pointing this out to me a few days ago. I would assume that the Fire TV does too.

I have never used the Fire TV but if you check The Cheap Test Pattern Generator Thread, you may find optimal settings for that device there. The first post contains details for the Fire TV but it was not the 4K version, so you may need to read through a little.

#98 ·
Hehe! That was the last thing I analyzed with now your DVDO ;)

Reactions: 9404744
#100 ·
A new version of LightSpace Connect has just been released.

That version works natively on Mac PCs, and can be downloaded from the Apple Apps Store.

#103 ·
Measure WRGB with i1PRO2.

Write somewhere the WRGB xyY numbers.

Then profile your colorimeter with i1PRO2.

After loading the correction matrix, measure WRGB, write somewhere the WRGB xyY.

Then compare these readings to see which deviations you have.

#105 ·
Just curious if anyone else has experienced issues with AppleTVs and pluge for brightness? Black plugs in the connect app isn't even close to what I set with my DVDO TPG, but looking at the AVS709 and Teds media files for black pluge and it matches nicely. (FYI Pics suck, just for reference to what I'm seeing in term of opposite results, the 709 plunge was actually at 17 even though the camera didn't pick it up.)

#107 ·
Hi all,

Have put this question down on two threads... wasn't sure which it was most appropriate for... so if this isn't the right thread please ignore.

I have in my possession an older Amazon Firestick FHD which LightSpace Connect on it. I just wanted to check something with the brains trust as a lot of this goes straight over my head. Having had a look back at the early posts a separate thread, the Firestick isn't going to give me bit perfect results if used as a TPG? If it was all I had to use would it be suitable for my own personal home calibrations in so far as I'm probably not going to notice the errors? I just noticed that in the images provided Firestick the DeltaE was always under 1... so realistically I'm not really going to "see" the errors am I, and thus would be perfectly fine for what I want to get out of it?

Also does anyone know how the new Chromecast with Google TV does, or is likely to behave with LightSpace Connect? I like the idea of downloading it straight on to the device rather than casting? Never-the-less I thought I would ask in case someone knew or had tried?

Thanking you all in advance. :)

#108 ·
Hi,

Chromecast, Shield, FireStick, ATV, all these devices using apps for patches will not be able to provide an accurate output.

These devices have processing steps to their video pipeline where they will add the inaccuracies.

That processing is after the app, and the app has no control over there to device processing.

PGenerator is the only correct solution at this moment.

However, a company (not LightIllusion) who sells software promoted these solutions for a lot of years as bit-perfect to make people buy their software to able to use these free apps, but later we all find out that they were lying to sell more software to poor people who had no access to signal analyzers.

iOS/Android apps are OK to use to examine your mobile phone or tablet screen. They are accurate for that application.

Also, apps installed internally to TV work after the calibration controls, so you can't use them for calibration since they will not be affected by changes you will apply to the calibration controls.

#109 ·
So, just to clarify,i'm using LS connect on (2020 Firestick hd lite) and Calman Sony Home on a Sony A1E...There is no expand to pc level check box in the TPG gui dropdown in Calman, like there is with mobileforge app,Do I just use 0-255 option instead of 16-236 because it fully blacks out the 0% test pattern unlike 16-236 which leaves a light pattern box? Thanks

Also, do I use RGB or YCbrr 8 or 10 bit for the 2020 firestick ?...Thanks guys

#116 ·
The LS application on Android phones does not work well on the latest version because it sends an HDR signal instead of SDR

It's an application glitch