LG 2017 OLED Calibration Thread and Settings - Page 105 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3285Likes

post #3121 of 3124 Old 07-07-2019, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I have just got this set and managed to get a really gorgeous SDR calibration with the latest firmware. Easiest display to calibrate in over 15 years of calibrations.

I have a question about HDR calibration, please! I have tried to look for this in the thread and I couldn't find it.

LG released a document with the HDR codes and percentage values (the latter to be used in Calman) but DID NOT RELEASE the luminance targets THAT they are expecting a properly calibrated set to have. Please stop using the argument that HDR has set luminance values because we all know that LG is not using the EOTF curve exactly as it's meant to be.

Why is this important? Well, it is important because once we enable Active HDR, it will perform best if it has a properly calibrated base to work from and it must be expecting certain luminance levels from the set, which is unfortunately not the proper EOTF curve. Also, if SDR was badly off for gamma, then you can bet that HDR is also off somewhat for gamma.

I am baffled that nobody has picked this up and just left the luminance values as is or haven't asked LG yet. Anyone has knowledge of the luminance targets or I might need to go ask LG?

Thanks, guys!

------
Second bonus question: has anyone TRIED calibrating HDR to the proper industry-standard EOTF luminance targets with the latest firmware? This way we could leave ActiveHDR off and emulate the Sony OLEDs. My guess is that we would run out of adjustments at the higher end of the curve as they only give us greyscale adjustments. Thoughts? I might ask LG to add luminance adjustments for HDR like they did for SDR. Has anyone asked them? It's worth a try as they do listen... sometimes! ;-)

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3122 of 3124 Old 07-07-2019, 04:39 PM

Oh one more thing... we could try and calibrate the 540nit curve to the EOTF. It's probably the closest. Then we can have a vertex strip the metadata and treat all HDR as such. Someone suggested the meta-data stripping earlier in the thread. But this may be too much hassle.
post #3123 of 3124 Old 07-07-2019, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked: 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollon1980 View Post
I have just got this set and managed to get a really gorgeous SDR calibration with the latest firmware. Easiest display to calibrate in over 15 years of calibrations.

I have a question about HDR calibration, please! I have tried to look for this in the thread and I couldn't find it.

LG released a document with the HDR codes and percentage values (the latter to be used in Calman) but DID NOT RELEASE the luminance targets THAT they are expecting a properly calibrated set to have. Please stop using the argument that HDR has set luminance values because we all know that LG is not using the EOTF curve exactly as it's meant to be.

Why is this important? Well, it is important because once we enable Active HDR, it will perform best if it has a properly calibrated base to work from and it must be expecting certain luminance levels from the set, which is unfortunately not the proper EOTF curve. Also, if SDR was badly off for gamma, then you can bet that HDR is also off somewhat for gamma.

I am baffled that nobody has picked this up and just left the luminance values as is or haven't asked LG yet. Anyone has knowledge of the luminance targets or I might need to go ask LG?

Thanks, guys!

------

Second bonus question: has anyone TRIED calibrating HDR to the proper industry-standard EOTF luminance targets with the latest firmware? This way we could leave ActiveHDR off and emulate the Sony OLEDs. My guess is that we would run out of adjustments at the higher end of the curve as they only give us greyscale adjustments. Thoughts? I might ask LG to add luminance adjustments for HDR like they did for SDR. Has anyone asked them? It's worth a try as they do listen... sometimes! ;-)

Cheers!

My recommendation is to calibrate HDR Cinema mode using the 2pt while balance controls only. Then call it a day.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3124 of 3124 Old 07-07-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
My recommendation is to calibrate HDR Cinema mode using the 2pt while balance controls only. Then call it a day.
I do appreciate your answer, man - I have done that already - but it's not really answering my question. What are the luminance targets we need to be aiming for? Aren't you one of the Calman developers? Surely you'd know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page