LG 2017 OLED Calibration Thread and Settings - Page 107 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3357Likes

post #3181 of 3250 Old 11-19-2019, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

I found this one, REC.2020 Primaries and 10000 nit mastering display peak with 0.0001 nit black (10000 nits maxCLL & 400 nits maxFALL).

Flashing bars are not having the same values with previous pattern.

Do you mean that you have checked the pattern with 10000 nits flashing bars but with 1000 nit mastering display metadata?
Ted,

With Dynamic Contrast Off, when I select this pattern on the C7, I am resolving the flashing till level 936 or so (hard to see the flashing past this point). The Max Luminance that the Oppo shows is 10000nits and 0.0001nit for Min Luminance.

Same thing happens when I select the 1000 nits pattern, then the flashing pattern resolves till about 719 or so and the Oppo shows Max Luminance of 1000nits.

I believe its working as it should at least for the S&M disc.

Its not behaving the same for Ryan's disc though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 3250 Old 11-19-2019, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatesh_m View Post
With Dynamic Contrast Off, when I select this pattern on the C7, I am resolving the flashing till level 936 or so (hard to see the flashing past this point). The Max Luminance that the Oppo shows is 10000nits and 0.0001nit for Min Luminance.

Same thing happens when I select the 1000 nits pattern, then the flashing pattern resolves till about 719 or so and the Oppo shows Max Luminance of 1000nits.
From what I see on the pictures and what you describe, there's no way for you to tell if the 1000nit pattern is actually tonemapping to something higher than 1000nits on your C7, since the bars for the 1000nit mastered test pattern stop at the 1000nits mark. The fact that the Oppo is transmitting/reporting correct metadata isn't the issue I was talking about.

I had already confirmed with someone else who owns a HDFury device that the 1000nits pattern of R.Masciola indeed is being reported as 1000nits to the TV via HDMI. As I expected, since the same happens with the internal USB player.
post #3183 of 3250 Old 12-05-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suarsg View Post
Anyone know why this test pattern by R.Masciola:

doesn't correctly clip at 1000nits on my and all of my friends' B7/C7? The 2000 and 4000nits patterns are clipping correctly but the 1000nits one goes even farther than the 4000nits pattern. I've tested it on FOUR different players, including the TV's internal player and it's always the same result. This is on the technicolor-preset (everything default, Dynamic Contrast off).

Why is this TV treating 1000nits data so weird
We've also tried it on a C8 and C9 and there it clips correctly at the 1000nits mark.

I can't imagine it's just one of those things LG never bothered to fix or implement correctly in the first place. Seems like a pretty big deal if it indeed doesn't tonemap 1000nits movies correctly.
Quote:
For R.Masciola:

11. HDR Clipping Grayscale 1,000 nit_HDR10.mp4 (under 06. Miscellaneous Patterns > 15. HDR Clipping Test Patterns):
clips at 1000 on C8 and C9 / clips at 4000 on C7

12. HDR Clipping Grayscale 2,000 nit_HDR10.mp4
clips at 2000 on C7, C8, C9

14. HDR Clipping Grayscale 4,000 nit_HDR10.mp4
clips at 4000 on C7, C8, C9

11. HDR Clipping Grayscale 1,000 nit_HDR10.mp4 (reencoded to 800nits as Max Mastering Display Luminance and MaxCLL)
clips at 800 on C7, C8, C9

11. HDR Clipping Grayscale 1,000 nit_HDR10.mp4 (reencoded to 1200nits)
clips at 1200 on C7, C8, C9

11. HDR Clipping Grayscale 1,000 nit_HDR10.mp4 (reencoded to 801nits)
clips at 800 on C8 and C9 / clips at 4000 on C7

11. HDR Clipping Grayscale 1,000 nit_HDR10.mp4 (reencoded to 1199nits)
clips at 1200 on C8 and C9 / clips at 4000 on C7

C7 on the latest firmware (05.80.35). Default technicolor profile, Dynamic Contrast Off. Internal USB player as well as HDMI-fed sources.

I did some further testing with 10%-sized window patterns with different mastering metadata. Default Cinema-preset without any calibration, Dynamic Contrast off.

Step 20% pattern, with Y code value 240, should output about 2.47cd/m² with PQ-EOTF:
with 800cd/m² mastering (MaxMDL) I measured 2.0cd/m²
with 1000cd/m²: measured 2.2cd/m²
with 1200cd/m²: measured 2.0cd/m²
with 4000cd/m²: measured 1.7cd/m²

Step 50% pattern, with Y code value 504, should output about 94cd/m² with PQ-EOTF:
with 800cd/m²: measured 103cd/m²
with 1000cd/m²: measured 109cd/m²
with 1200cd/m²: measured 103cd/m²
with 4000cd/m²: measured 83cd/m²

Step 65% pattern, with Y code value 632, should output about 384cd/m² with PQ-EOTF:
with 800cd/m²: measured 375cd/m²
with 1000cd/m²: measured 420cd/m²
with 1200cd/m²: measured 374cd/m²
with 4000cd/m²: measured 305cd/m²

I don't understand wtf the TV is doing, at all.
With 1000 mastering, it's way too bright. With 800 and 1200 it seems much closer to what it should be.
(4000 is too dark as expected on these TVs, I guess. The dark 20% pattern is not bright enough for any of the mastering data, but this seems to be expected on these LG TVs as well.)

1) Why is 800 and 1200 so close to PQ EOTF but the 1000 one is so bright?

2) Seeing how the 1000 clipping pattern behaved like the 4000 clipping pattern in the previous tests, I expected the 1000 above to be actually darker and similar to the measured values of the 4000nits mastered window pattern. How is it possible the clipping test and the window measurement test are so contradicting?
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3184 of 3250 Old 12-06-2019, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Send a message via Skype™ to patoberli
Hi all, I'm a user of this nice TV since 1.5 years. I though about trying to do a calibration of it. It seems there is no calibration service for home users here in Switzerland, so I though about doing it myself.
Question is, what is the cheapest and what is the best price/performance way to do this?
I don't yet have any calibration hardware.

HDR nor Dolby Vision are my priorities, although it would be nice if I could at least also calibrate HDR. My only two HDR sources are my PC and an Xbox One S, so it's not that critical.
post #3185 of 3250 Old 12-06-2019, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by patoberli View Post
Hi all, I'm a user of this nice TV since 1.5 years. I though about trying to do a calibration of it. It seems there is no calibration service for home users here in Switzerland, so I though about doing it myself.

Question is, what is the cheapest and what is the best price/performance way to do this?

I don't yet have any calibration hardware.

HDR nor Dolby Vision are my priorities, although it would be nice if I could at least also calibrate HDR. My only two HDR sources are my PC and an Xbox One S, so it's not that critical.
LightSpace ZRO and an X-rite i1Display Pro OEM.

If you can find a way to get ahold of the Technicolor Studio firmware that enables 3D Lut capabilities then you can step up to LightSpace HTL and generate a 3D Lut which would produce better results than manual calibration.
@ConnecTEDDD is where I purchased my i1Display Pro OEM and LightSpace. Ted helped me quite a bit with calibrating my C9. Reach out to him.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #3186 of 3250 Old 12-06-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
LightSpace ZRO and an X-rite i1Display Pro OEM.

If you can find a way to get ahold of the Technicolor Studio firmware that enables 3D Lut capabilities then you can step up to LightSpace HTL and generate a 3D Lut which would produce better results than manual calibration.
@ConnecTEDDD is where I purchased my i1Display Pro OEM and LightSpace. Ted helped me quite a bit with calibrating my C9. Reach out to him.
Thanks for the quick reply!
Revised my answer. I sadly can't find the OEM version here in Switzerland, but the Retail version is readily available. As far as I can see, the only difference is the 1000 Nits limitation of the retail edition, which shouldn't be an issue for my 2017 LG OLED. Can you recommend this Retail model?

Last edited by patoberli; 12-06-2019 at 08:55 AM.
post #3187 of 3250 Old 12-06-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked: 903
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply!
I can get the X-Rite i1Display Pro (EODIS3) (which I think is the retail version) for a fairly good price here, around 220 USD. Or is the OEM version considerably cheaper?

Here is a page of info on the differences between retail and OEM.

The OEM one is certified to 2000 nits. It's generally accepted as being the better device, but you don't need more than 1000 nits of the retail for OLED screens. The OEM unit is also compatible with a lot of software. The retail may be locked out of some software (although it seems everyone has the unlock code for the retail unit).

Reach out through the site for pricing to see how it compares to your retail pricing. There is a December sale going on right now.
post #3188 of 3250 Old 12-06-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
Here is a page of info on the differences between retail and OEM.

The OEM one is certified to 2000 nits. It's generally accepted as being the better device, but you don't need more than 1000 nits of the retail for OLED screens. The OEM unit is also compatible with a lot of software. The retail may be locked out of some software (although it seems everyone has the unlock code for the retail unit).

Reach out through the site for pricing to see how it compares to your retail pricing. There is a December sale going on right now.
Thanks, have reached out to him.
dwaleke likes this.
post #3189 of 3250 Old 12-06-2019, 01:11 PM

Can you tell me more about the Technicolor firmware?
I'm running on my the latest official firmware, will the Technicolor one run besides it or replacing it? With the same features/bugs?
post #3190 of 3250 Old 12-06-2019, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 244 Post(s)
Quoted: 1719 Post(s)
Liked: 2310
Quote:
Can you tell me more about the Technicolor firmware?

I'm running on my the latest official firmware, will the Technicolor one run besides it or replacing it? With the same features/bugs?

1. It is not intended for consumers

2. You cannot downgrade

3. There will never be an upgrade

4. Smart TV functionality is not guaranteed to work

5. It will void your warranty

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #3191 of 3250 Old 12-07-2019, 03:32 AM

Thanks for the information!
So not that much reason to switch the firmware, besides some additional calibration options. But as I'm "just" a consumer and not creator, I think I can skip it.
post #3192 of 3250 Old 12-07-2019, 03:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3479 Post(s)
Liked: 4331
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
1. It is not intended for consumers
Its not available for consumers to download, but the TV in SDR has better picture with that FW installed.

Quote:
2. You cannot downgrade
Incorrect, you can do whatever you like, as USB-Expert upgrade has not been disabled, you can install any consumer firmware anytime.

From a smartphone and WiFi, if you will use the free SURE app:

This downgrade method has been disabled with 2018/2019 LG's but its working with all 2017 LG's.

Quote:
3. There will never be an upgrade
True. There no need for any upgrade as its perfect for SDR.

Quote:
4. Smart TV functionality is not guaranteed to work
True for some apps, not all.

Quote:
5. It will void your warranty
Its official firmware created from LG. LG 2017 TV's have one year warranty, so most people warranty has been expired already.

There a lot of LightSpace users which are using it already, if you care for SDR playback mainly, its the ideal FW for these TV's, to be able to reach the best possible color accuracy.
dwaleke likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration S/W: LightSpace ZRO / HCFR
S/W: ColourSpace INF, LightSpace XTP, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, ChromaPure
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box P/G: Murideo Six-G, DVDO AVLab TPG
Meter: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A
post #3193 of 3250 Old 12-07-2019, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thanks to @patoberli for pointing me to this thread, but I, too, am looking into calibration. I am looking into getting the X-Rite, but I also have access to the CalMAN software.

I guess my concerns are a bit beyond the scope of just regular SDR viewing, though. I'm also looking to calibrate HDR, but more specifically, Game Mode HDR. From what I understand, only Game Mode in 2018 and 2019 models can be properly calibrated, because CalMAN's AutoCal feature works with the models' Display Control abilities. Whereas, the 2017 model is still constrained by the limited options within Game Mode, ie. Color, Gamma, etc., so even a manual calibration is futile.

Because of this, I was looking for a best case scenario using PC mode, but I then learned that PC mode with HDR [email protected] content would cause 8-bit banding, due to the bandwidth limitations, so I'd then have to continually switch back from PC to regular HDMI mode. Any thoughts on best case scenario regarding Game Mode both in SDR and HDR?
post #3194 of 3250 Old 12-08-2019, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help with DV and Vertex:

I'm trying to calibrate my C7 using Calman 2018 - Custom DV Workflow. But I'm stuck/lost at getting the proper infoframe injected for the DV to go into DV mode. I have set my laptop (Macbook running Windows via bootcamp and Intel Iris 5100 - HDMI) to output to the TV as 1080p24, full RGB and 100% scaling. On the Vertex, I have set it to Automix. HDCP to 1.4 and no scaling. I go into HDR IF tab and enter the custom infoframe and press Send HDR. I get Dolby Vision logo on my TV but no image.
post #3195 of 3250 Old 12-08-2019, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chonka View Post
Thanks to @patoberli for pointing me to this thread, but I, too, am looking into calibration. I am looking into getting the X-Rite, but I also have access to the CalMAN software.

I guess my concerns are a bit beyond the scope of just regular SDR viewing, though. I'm also looking to calibrate HDR, but more specifically, Game Mode HDR. From what I understand, only Game Mode in 2018 and 2019 models can be properly calibrated, because CalMAN's AutoCal feature works with the models' Display Control abilities. Whereas, the 2017 model is still constrained by the limited options within Game Mode, ie. Color, Gamma, etc., so even a manual calibration is futile.

Because of this, I was looking for a best case scenario using PC mode, but I then learned that PC mode with HDR [email protected] content would cause 8-bit banding, due to the bandwidth limitations, so I'd then have to continually switch back from PC to regular HDMI mode. Any thoughts on best case scenario regarding Game Mode both in SDR and HDR?
I play in [email protected] HDR mode on my PC attached to the TV. I think I'm even using Wide color option in Nvidia drivers. What it does, it lowers to 4:2:0, I think. But I have yet to detect any banding in HDR games. Then again, I haven't looked with paused images, with moving ones I've never seen banding, unless the game has fog badly implemented (or my game details on Medium are too weak).
post #3196 of 3250 Old 12-08-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I play in [email protected] HDR mode on my PC attached to the TV. I think I'm even using Wide color option in Nvidia drivers. What it does, it lowers to 4:2:0, I think. But I have yet to detect any banding in HDR games. Then again, I haven't looked with paused images, with moving ones I've never seen banding, unless the game has fog badly implemented (or my game details on Medium are too weak).

From what I understand, 4:2:0 is what it normally does in [email protected] HDR. If you force the TV into PC mode, though, it's supposed to force the TV into 4:4:4, and because there isn't enough bandwidth to do this at [email protected] HDR, the TV will compensate by showing the HDR in 8-bit color, which would cause banding.

Are you using the forced PC mode in the TV? It sounds like you're just using regular HDMI profiles if it's doing 4:2:0, or even 4:2:2.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #3197 of 3250 Old 12-08-2019, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 143
ALL LG 2017 OLEDs Calibrated Settings for Xbox One X / PS4 Pro updated to V8

After a long while since the latest full test of all profiles with latest TV and Console firmwares, I decided to re-check and re-calibrate all the recommended profiles (SDR/HDR/DV) and came back with additional considerations and improvements upon the v7 ones.

It's highly recommended that you use the "Reset" button for each profile to safely restore default settings (also erasing WB/CMS values), then re-dial the new V8 recommendations

Main Changes
:
  • (Non-Game modes) SDR preferred profile is back to ISF EXPERT (DARK ROOM) as noticeably closer to standard references;
  • (Non-Game modes) TruMotion (De-Blur; De-Judder: 0) is no more necessary to fix motion handling as LG seems to have fixed it with latest firmware by only enabling RealCinema
  • (ALL) SDR Contrast value was increased from 85 to 98: this is the highest value I measured without white starting clipping and without any noticeable black crush. This higher contrast will much improve SDR contents (both Movies and Games) and will provide results much closer to HDR presentations;
  • All White Balance and CMS values was removed as LG changed something with latest firmware + different people were reporting different results/tints. As stated initially: It's highly recommended that you use the "Reset" button for each profile to safely restore default settings (and erasing WB/CMS values), then re-dial the new V8 recommendations for each one to be sure to have the best PQ;
  • Dolby Vision GAME preset has become my primary recommendation for everything (it's bright as DV Cinema Home, but more accurate when setup correctly and without bugs as "white-flashing"), therefore USB patches for DV Cinema are no more needed (also for the reasons above);
  • Added PS4 Pro recommended Output Settings.

Enjoy, and let me know what you think!

-P

Last edited by P40L0; 12-08-2019 at 03:32 PM.
post #3198 of 3250 Old 12-08-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
From what I understand, 4:2:0 is what it normally does in [email protected] HDR. If you force the TV into PC mode, though, it's supposed to force the TV into 4:4:4, and because there isn't enough bandwidth to do this at [email protected] HDR, the TV will compensate by showing the HDR in 8-bit color, which would cause banding.

Are you using the forced PC mode in the TV? It sounds like you're just using regular HDMI profiles if it's doing 4:2:0, or even 4:2:2.
The thing is, I'm going through an AVR to the TV, so my Bluray player, TV reception box and gaming PC are all attached to the same HDMI on the TV. No optimal, but I want to go everything through my AVR.
For this reason, in SDR I'm using Technicolor Expert image profile, for HDR (which my PC typically uses) I currently don't know, but that might be the gaming image profile, the Bluray player is set to always show either HDR (so again gaming profile) or Dolby Vision.
Because of this, the HDMI port is set to the default and not a special gaming or pc mode.
Latency is low enough for me to play FPS, but I'm no pro (too old by now ).
post #3199 of 3250 Old 12-26-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P40L0 View Post
ALL LG 2017 OLEDs Calibrated Settings for Xbox One X / PS4 Pro updated to V8

After a long while since the latest full test of all profiles with latest TV and Console firmwares, I decided to re-check and re-calibrate all the recommended profiles (SDR/HDR/DV) and came back with additional considerations and improvements upon the v7 ones.

It's highly recommended that you use the "Reset" button for each profile to safely restore default settings (also erasing WB/CMS values), then re-dial the new V8 recommendations

Main Changes
:
  • (Non-Game modes) SDR preferred profile is back to ISF EXPERT (DARK ROOM) as noticeably closer to standard references;
  • (Non-Game modes) TruMotion (De-Blur; De-Judder: 0) is no more necessary to fix motion handling as LG seems to have fixed it with latest firmware by only enabling RealCinema
  • (ALL) SDR Contrast value was increased from 85 to 98: this is the highest value I measured without white starting clipping and without any noticeable black crush. This higher contrast will much improve SDR contents (both Movies and Games) and will provide results much closer to HDR presentations;
  • All White Balance and CMS values was removed as LG changed something with latest firmware + different people were reporting different results/tints. As stated initially: It's highly recommended that you use the "Reset" button for each profile to safely restore default settings (and erasing WB/CMS values), then re-dial the new V8 recommendations for each one to be sure to have the best PQ;
  • Dolby Vision GAME preset has become my primary recommendation for everything (it's bright as DV Cinema Home, but more accurate when setup correctly and without bugs as "white-flashing"), therefore USB patches for DV Cinema are no more needed (also for the reasons above);
  • Added PS4 Pro recommended Output Settings.

Enjoy, and let me know what you think!

-P
After finally having found some time to enjoy my 55B7V during these Christmas holydays, here an additional v8.1 update for you!
Many little tweaks in most profiles + a brand new Option for HDR gaming. You can find the full changelog below.

Enjoy and have an Happy New Year!

v8.1 Changelog:
  • New Option 2b added for HDR gaming! This is a new try to revitalize the "PC Mode/Input Icon" alternative for gaming, and it basically consist in using the pure and most accurate/calibrated "HDR Game" preset with no Dynamic Contrast enhancement at all. The main advantage is keeping 21ms low input lag in HDR (opposed to the 40-ish ms of PC HDR Standard) for those people who prefer "PC Mode" for its superior SDR + 4:4:4 + RGB Limited + ISF Preset compared to SDR Game. The "pure" HDR Game (with no DC) should also look perfectly bright for all the best and/or recent HDR games which allow setting peak HDR Brightness value to 4.000 and/or Paper White to 200 and/or White Point to 0.9; it will also look good with all 1.000 nits contents and also 4.000 nits HDR Movies and TV Shows with lower MaxCLL, which should be the majority (thanks to recent LG silent improvements to HDR Cinema/Technicolor/Game presets' MaxCLL tracking). Dimness issues should be limited with games/movies mastered at 4.000 or 10.000 nits with no sliders control at all, with no MaxCLL values or MaxCLL values extremely high (minority of cases, but still possible);
  • When using Option 2 and PC Mode in general (SDR/HDR/DV) it is crucial to disable/uncheck 4:2:2 chroma subsampling and stick to 4:2:0 in order to avoid severe color banding in all modes. This was reflected in the docs by unchecking 422 on X1X and selecting 2160P YUV420 resolution on PS4 Pro;
  • When using Option 2 and PC Mode in general, X1X Color Depth is back to 8-bit + Standard Color Space: this will make the console output an uncompressed 4:4:4 RGB Limited signal for SDR (the best you can get) while using calibrated ISF Expert (Dark Room) with Auto Gamut (goodbye forced Wide ) and keeping 21ms low input lag. With 422 box unchecked, both HDR and Dolby Vision will automatically switch to 4:2:0 chroma, with no color banding and almost unpercievable difference compared to 4:2:2 outside of PC Mode;
  • ISF Expert (Dark Room) OLED Light was slightly decreased from 70 to 60 as it was a bit an overkill in a dark room;
  • SDR Game Mode OLED Light was therefore lowered from 80 to 70 to match the new ISF luminance in SDR;
  • HDR Technicolor Expert Brightness was slightly decreased from 50 to 49 to offset very slightly elevated blacks caused by Active HDR
chonka likes this.
post #3200 of 3250 Old 12-27-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
After finally having found some time to enjoy my 55B7V during these Christmas holydays, here an additional v8.1 update for you!
Many little tweaks in most profiles + a brand new Option for HDR gaming. You can find the full changelog below
Awesome stuff, @P40L0!

This is exactly what I was looking for! I was just worried about using 8-bit in HDR mode, so I guess my question is, how did you calibrate HDR then? Did you just use regular Rec709, as opposed to HDR10/BT2020 to do the color measurements?
post #3201 of 3250 Old 12-27-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Did you just use regular Rec709, as opposed to HDR10/BT2020 to do the color measurements?
None of that is "calibrated" or provides calibration settings. The posted charts aren't even his or have anything to do with his settings or HDR.

Quote:
I would like to share my ULTIMATE set of professionally Calibrated Settings
LMAO.
post #3202 of 3250 Old 12-27-2019, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Awesome stuff, @P40L0!

This is exactly what I was looking for! I was just worried about using 8-bit in HDR mode, so I guess my question is, how did you calibrate HDR then? Did you just use regular Rec709, as opposed to HDR10/BT2020 to do the color measurements?
This guy doesn't have a meter or software. All of this is done by eye trying to match settings he got from a different user going back and forth between settings. There is a reason this changes every few weeks. This is not calibration. Basically just copied settings and changes to what he thinks looks right at a given time. What version is this now 8, 9?

Quote:
None of that is "calibrated" or provides calibration settings. The posted charts aren't even his or have anything to do with his settings or HDR.

LMAO.
Right? What I find funny about it is that when it is called out he never has a response. He totally ignores the statement and keeps it moving. If he does make a response it is referencing something from Vincent Teoh or something, but basically disregarding the fact that none of this is measured personally with equipment.
nathan_h and mrtickleuk like this.

LivingRoom: LG OLED77C8P /Oppo UDP-203/Denon X8500H/SVS SB16 ULTRA/M5300-PM/Paradigm 85F, 45c, Mythos Gem XL x4, SVS Prime Elevation x4 /PS4 Pro/X1X/Switch/AppleTV 4K
Bedroom: LG OLED65E6P / Oppo BDP103D / AppleTV // Office: Sony 55A9F / X1X
ISF Level III Certified, CalMan VideoPro, ChromaPure, i1D3 Pro, i1Pro, C6 HDR 2000, VideoForge Pro, Murideo Six-G, Lightspace
post #3203 of 3250 Old 12-27-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Those types of posts really reflect poorly on the good work that has been done for years in this section of the forum, as well as both amateurs and professionals using legitimate equipment/software. It really should be relegated to owner’s threads and such.
nathan_h likes this.

LG OLED65C7P - Professionally Calibrated l Apple TV 4K l Microsoft Xbox One S l Sony STR-ZA1100ES l Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel l Polk Audio Monitor 60 Series II Floorstanding L/R l Polk Audio Monitor 45B Rear Surround l Dual BIC V1220 Subwoofers
post #3204 of 3250 Old 12-27-2019, 12:42 PM

I'm currently calibrating my with an X-Rite OEM and Calman 5. My concern has been with using PC mode, rather than Game Mode, to better refine the results. The 4:4:4 8-bit compromise is what I'm seeking answers for.
post #3205 of 3250 Old 12-27-2019, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
I'm currently calibrating my with an X-Rite OEM and Calman 5. My concern has been with using PC mode, rather than Game Mode, to better refine the results. The 4:4:4 8-bit compromise is what I'm seeking answers for.
Since the 7's are 3 model years old now many of the experts and pro-calibrators don't read here anymore but you can probably find them in the 9's calibration thread. And, search this thread, PC mode is one of the more talked about subjects.
chonka likes this.
post #3206 of 3250 Old 12-27-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
With PC Mode (after firmware 5.80.15 or newer) you can now properly have 4:4:4 RGB Limited 8-bit SDR and 4:2:0 YUV 10-bit HDR and 12-bit DV.
Only 4:2:2 will result in sever color banding, and should be avoided while doing PC Mode.

Old issues with color gamuts and tints are now fixed, therefore PC Mode is a perfectly viable alternative to keep input lag lowest as 21ms both using SDR ISF Expert (Dark Room) and HDR Game presets, bypassing the force Wide Gamut limitation of SDR Game and the added input lag of PC HDR Standard preset.
Just remember to eventually set in-game HDR sliders to 4.000 nits peak brightness and 200 nits Paper White (or 0.9 White Point value) when possible.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #3207 of 3250 Old 12-27-2019, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
With PC Mode (after firmware 5.80.15 or newer) you can now properly have 4:4:4 RGB Limited 8-bit SDR and 4:2:0 YUV 10-bit HDR and 12-bit DV.

Only 4:2:2 will result in sever color banding, and should be avoided while doing PC Mode.

Old issues with color gamuts and tints are now fixed, therefore PC Mode is a perfectly viable alternative to keep input lag lowest as 21ms both using SDR ISF Expert (Dark Room) and HDR Game presets, bypassing the force Wide Gamut limitation of SDR Game and the added input lag of PC HDR Standard preset.

Just remember to eventually set in-game HDR sliders to 4.000 nits peak brightness and 200 nits Paper White (or 0.9 White Point value) when possible.

...and your measurements for this are where exactly?

LG OLED65C7P - Professionally Calibrated l Apple TV 4K l Microsoft Xbox One S l Sony STR-ZA1100ES l Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel l Polk Audio Monitor 60 Series II Floorstanding L/R l Polk Audio Monitor 45B Rear Surround l Dual BIC V1220 Subwoofers
post #3208 of 3250 Old 12-28-2019, 04:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 5370 Post(s)
Liked: 7764
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post
...and your measurements for this are where exactly?
In his imagination. NB: never use someone else's White Balance, Contrast, Brightness or CMS settings - even if they came from his imagination - since they are only for his imagination's specific panel. The only valid White Balance and CMS settings will be if you use your own meter on your specific panel. Anything else - no. As I'm sure the vast majority of people on this thread know! The fantasy stuff belongs elsewhere
nathan_h, dwaleke and liberator72 like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 12-28-2019 at 08:58 AM.
post #3209 of 3250 Old 12-28-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
In his imagination. NB: never use someone else's White Balance and CMS settings - even if they came from his imagination - since they are only for his imagination's specific panel. The only valid White Balance and CMS settings will be if you use your own meter on your specific panel. Anything else - no. As I'm sure the vast majority of people on this thread know! The fantasy stuff belongs elsewhere
There are no WB or CMS values in latest suggested settings.
Only the best General Settings which can safely be applied on any 2017 model for each type of usage and input (SDR/HDR/DV).
post #3210 of 3250 Old 12-28-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There are no WB or CMS values in latest suggested settings.

Only the best General Settings which can safely be applied on any 2017 model for each type of usage and input (SDR/HDR/DV).

Only the best general settings? Again, based on what?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Sammie2980 and mrtickleuk like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page