LG 2017 OLED Calibration Thread and Settings - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3286Likes

post #571 of 3129 Old 09-24-2017, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Thanks for the feedback @sillysally, @jrref, and @PeteNeat.

I'll give that MP4 a shot.

Obviously, 2.2 and BT.1886/2.4 gamma are ultimately preference, so long as each track within their respective spec, though the latter are probably better for dark rooms (where shadow detail can be more easily discerned), and I have also found they have the (perhaps unintended) side-effect of obscuring compression artifacts in dark areas on lower quality material (such as streaming sources) when compared to 2.2, but without crushing too much shadow detail.

BT.1886/2.4 gamma works quite well in most material I've tested, but in some material, again, it appears to reduce shadow detail, but this could be due to the source involved. I was just making sure the inherently darker gamma of the two was responsible, and not the tracking being off.

I'm by no means a calibrator, though I could probably use my laptop and i1Display Pro colorimeter (I have experience in basic montior calibration, primarily) to get an idea of current gamma tracking on my set. I'm what you'd call a "casual enthusiast" at this point; so long as the color dE is <3, I'm good.

Last edited by jorimt; 09-24-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 3129 Old 09-24-2017, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Some have applied the 5% WB tweak to the 2017 panels too. It's certainly a method of bringing out near black without calibration tools but don't push it too hard or you will introduce artifacts.

LGOLED55C7P - Calman Enthusiast - I1Display / I1Pro
post #573 of 3129 Old 09-25-2017, 02:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 304
One thing about shadow detail. More is not always good. It's what you're meant to be shown that should matter.

A quick example: At the UK shootout, some attendees really liked the additional shadow detail on the Panasonic OLED compared to the LG and Sony but when you actually looked at the mastering monitor for comparison, the Panasonic was showing more shadow detail than was intended for that scene meaning the LG and Sony were more accurate than the Panasonic!

With so many options available now for different content authoring, I think the struggle to match gamma to the content will become real when calibrating.

As things are more complex now, having a receiver is quickly becoming a hindrance as you're limited to one set of calibration options for just one input. Having your sources going directly to the TV and calibrating per input is a much better way of having the right calibration for the type of content that source will be pushing out.

The future should be Enhanced Arc and audio only receivers and all sources going directly to the TV itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 3129 Old 09-25-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR1 View Post
One thing about shadow detail. More is not always good. It's what you're meant to be shown that should matter.
This is very true. The 'issue' is we have a panel that goes down to zero black, with it having trouble coming out of black smoothly.
The net effect is to give the appearance of blacks crushing at very low levels which is noticeable in content.

We have to make a choice, perhaps splitting the difference and artificially exposing some of the near black.
Similar to HDR I suppose where everything is expanded to expose some things the naked eye wouldn't see in real life.

post #575 of 3129 Old 09-25-2017, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
I'm completely aware of that and wholeheartedly agree; the source is probably the most underestimated variable. The issue is figuring out what you are or aren't suppose to see depending on the given source, which could be maddening unless you have the tools and experience necessary to validate the tracking of the gamma you are currently using.

I have been primarily a 2.2 user for years myself, so I'm simply used to a lower gamma. In trying out-of-the-box BT.1886/2.4 gamma and not being able to validate the tracking of the two myself, it's up in the air whether I'm perceiving black crush in certain sources because I'm used to a lower gamma, or what I'm seeing is actually correct, and it's just darker in the near blacks than what I'm used to.

For the record, I haven't seen any near black issues at 2.2 (which granted, could be slightly off since I haven't calibrated anything) with any material. And again, certain sources look perfect in both BT.1886 and 2.4 gamma (which track almost identically to the eye on my set by the way), and actually look almost washed out at 2.2 in comparison. But on the other hand, I've come across some low budget TV shows where the detail in dark hair, even in a daylight scenes, is crushed unless I go back to 2.2 (could be the source, could be the tracking).

The worst offender with the two higher gamma settings vs 2.2 is the scene in the first Star Trek reboot (SDR blu-ray) with Nero's ship's initial flyby; with the higher gamma settings, the ship is a black blob, whereas with 2.2 gamma, you can actually discern the detail in its many crevices.

Which is correct? I don't know.

I may use my i1Display Pro and DisplayCal's validator to get a rough idea.
post #576 of 3129 Old 09-25-2017, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Is Gamma part of the metadata that a player like the Oppo could help identify? If so, you could have a calibration for different gamma curves and pick the one that matches the film? I'd think that's probably the best bet we have for now.
post #577 of 3129 Old 09-25-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorimt View Post
For the record, I haven't seen any near black issues at 2.2 (which granted, could be slightly off since I haven't calibrated anything) with any material.

....Which is correct? I don't know.
2.2 tracks decently. Try that mp4. It's crazy bonkers. 2.2 makes 1/3 of the grid visible all the way to the edge.

post #578 of 3129 Old 09-26-2017, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I'm very happy with my new b7p. Luckily, this TV is very well calibrated in 2.2, 2.4 and bt1886 only have to adjust the high point. the black crush improved a lot on this TV compared to my last tv ef9500. I'm having trouble creating a meter profile with Calman 5 last version and i1pro2 & i1d3. When I checked the profile with the Ted's Verify Calibration Tools workflow, the red luminance is more than 1.5%. Someone happened to something like that? Only happends with red luminance on this Tv.

Last edited by oguignant; 09-26-2017 at 05:50 PM.
post #579 of 3129 Old 09-26-2017, 07:23 PM

You double posted, may want to delete your first one.
I don't get that with Teds checker. I think the best thing would be to try again, with a new workflow, different day, meters and TV warm, espresso tiger striped with crema just so....
post #580 of 3129 Old 09-27-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNeat View Post
You double posted, may want to delete your first one.
I don't get that with Teds checker. I think the best thing would be to try again, with a new workflow, different day, meters and TV warm, espresso tiger striped with crema just so....
Yes, done!

Several days ago that I'm testing and creating profiles, about 60 profiles in the last days, using different configurations of Calman and Tv. (image settigs, time o turn on of the Tv, etc) anda Aialways with the same result in red luminance. Also, I have another Tf 55ef9500 and this does not happen with my ef9500, the meter profile creates it perfect and the check with Ted's workflow is accurate.

espresso tiger striped with crema just so....?
post #581 of 3129 Old 09-27-2017, 11:49 PM

Exclamation Lg b7p

Me again. After several hours of use of the Tv (6 or 8 continuous hours ), the image turns little greenish. I measured the white point with the colorimeter and the Green is above the Red and Blue. This is normal? or is it a TV failure?
post #582 of 3129 Old 09-28-2017, 01:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is it possible to globally adjust the white balance in the service menu to have an accurate reading across all picture modes? My unit seems to have a pretty substantial green bias in the grayscale out of the box, which makes the picture modes that only have the W - C whitebalance slider problematic. Non-PC mode Game Mode seems to be the only usable preset for HDR gaming, but it of course only has the W - C slider and the RGB balance is all kinds of forked up regardless of where I put it.

Last edited by Orta; 09-28-2017 at 01:52 AM.
post #583 of 3129 Old 09-28-2017, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yesterday I tried to calibrate my 65C7D (German version) with an i1 Display Pro (EODIS3) + CalMAN 5.6.1 + AVS709.

isf Expert (Dark Room)
OLED LIGHT 28
Contrast 85
Brightness 51
Color 50
Tint 0

Colour Gamut Auto
Gamma BT.1886

Colour Temperature Warm2

Black Level Low

All "picture improvement options" are set to Off, ASBL is deactivated via In-Start.

---

Irregardless of playing the MP4 files of AVS709 directly via USB on the LG or via HDMI from a PC (running at 16-235),
I am receiving similar results.

Using the 2 point calibration with 80% white, my result for "High" is:

Red +11
Green 0
Blue +5

Everything else (2pt Low and 20pt) is left at 0.

This gives me almost 100% RGB Balance with dE ~ 0,2 in CalMAN.
When I measure the 30% white afterwards, it is also almost perfect.

But when I am looking at "White Clipping" (Basic video #3 ) now, the flashing bars are looking like a pinkish red.

---

In CalMAN I'm using RAW XYZ, Target "D65, HD Rec.709", Gamma Power 2,4, Luminance 16-235.

What am I doing wrong?
Has anyone else had that problem?
For those who have calibrated their sets already (using the controls for 2pt or 20pt), is "White Clipping" looking fine for you?
post #584 of 3129 Old 09-28-2017, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzoh View Post
Yesterday I tried to calibrate my 65C7D (German version) with an i1 Display Pro (EODIS3) + CalMAN 5.6.1 + AVS709.

isf Expert (Dark Room)
OLED LIGHT 28
Contrast 85
Brightness 51
Color 50
Tint 0

Colour Gamut Auto
Gamma BT.1886

Colour Temperature Warm2

Black Level Low

All "picture improvement options" are set to Off, ASBL is deactivated via In-Start.

---

Irregardless of playing the MP4 files of AVS709 directly via USB on the LG or via HDMI from a PC (running at 16-235),

Red +11
Green 0
Blue +5

But when I am looking at "White Clipping" (Basic video #3 ) now, the flashing bars are looking like a pinkish red.

---

In CalMAN I'm using RAW XYZ, Target "D65, HD Rec.709", Gamma Power 2,4, Luminance 16-235.

What am I doing wrong?
For those who have calibrated their sets already (using the controls for 2pt or 20pt), is "White Clipping" looking fine for you?
Only subtract with 2 pt WB do not plus or you will get the problems you are now seeing with white clipping pattern
WiFi-Spy likes this.
post #585 of 3129 Old 09-28-2017, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So you mean instead of adding red and blue, I should rather lower green?
Or would you rather recommend to not use 2pt at all and only use 20pt?
Is adding red or blue in 20pt okay then or should I also subtract only as well?
post #586 of 3129 Old 09-28-2017, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 4285 Post(s)
Liked: 5236
So after doing more dolby vision calibrations on 2017 LGs i'm finding that on most sets, out of the box the gray scale luminance errors are really pretty high I guess because they are based on an "average" of sets sampled at the factory. Once the calibration is done, everything lines up. Near black detail is greatly increased, skin tones are better and the picture, overall, is more balanced.
bob brennan and AdamAttewell like this.
post #587 of 3129 Old 09-28-2017, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Not had time to have a proper go at calibrating my B7 yet but I got Kodi setup on my Amazon Fire box & am using it to stream 1080i content from my cable box.

Problem is the Amazon Fire cant de-interlace content due to CPU/GPU limitations, I know de-interlacing is a little wonky on the 2017 OLED's but I am unable to turn it on.

Is de-interlacing not available under certain picture modes & what do LG call this feature?
post #588 of 3129 Old 09-28-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Yes lower green and blue or red if needed to get 100ire dE as low as possible
I do 5 ire and 100 ire with 2 pt , and 20pt for the rest .
post #589 of 3129 Old 09-28-2017, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

isf Expert (Dark Room)
OLED LIGHT 28
Contrast 85
Brightness 51
Color 50
Tint 0

Colour Gamut Auto
Gamma BT.1886

Colour Temperature Warm2

Black Level Low

---

Red +11
Green 0
Blue +5

---

What am I doing wrong?
Mine does the same thing and the correction values I'm having to apply are very similar to yours with red being by far the most deficient, followed by blue. I only started last night and did not get long to play with it, hopefully pazman can cue us in on some additional fix tricks. I noticed an additional oddity where with contrast at 100, the 100% windowed pattern (did not test full field) would produce radically different results than the 90, 80, 70 etc... patterns. Dropping contrast to ~80 or less seemed to correct it. There seem to be a number of odd performance anomalies with these displays, and the white balance is very poor out of the box. I must admit first impressions have not been very positive given the amount of praise these displays have received.
post #590 of 3129 Old 09-28-2017, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2921 Post(s)
Liked: 3569
Quote:

A quick example: At the UK shootout, some attendees really liked the additional shadow detail on the Panasonic OLED compared to the LG and Sony but when you actually looked at the mastering monitor for comparison, the Panasonic was showing more shadow detail than was intended for that scene meaning the LG and Sony were more accurate than the Panasonic!

With so many options available now for different content authoring, I think the struggle to match gamma to the content will become real when calibrating.

Hi, I don't disagree with the comment about Sony Reference OLED gamma tracking, but to know better which display is tracking better a Gamma curve, we will need a 10-Point Grayscale of Near Black (1,2,3,4,5....10% Gray) to see each display performance. Panasonic internally it has been calibrated using a 64-Point Cube 3D LUT.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #591 of 3129 Old 09-28-2017, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 1832 Post(s)
Liked: 3596
Quote:
Yes
Quote:
I would only use the 2pt High controls.
Quote:
adding should be fine.
PeteNeat likes this.
post #592 of 3129 Old 09-28-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
So after doing more dolby vision calibrations on 2017 LGs i'm finding that on most sets, out of the box the gray scale luminance errors are really pretty high I guess because they are based on an "average" of sets sampled at the factory. Once the calibration is done, everything lines up. Near black detail is greatly increased, skin tones are better and the picture, overall, is more balanced.
When you get a spare afternoon please pop over to do my DV. I'll make the coffee

post #593 of 3129 Old 09-28-2017, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 1325
Quote:

I’m only an amateur self taught calibrator. But with dv I keep hearing about a golden reference file? Is that something that can only be obtained through a “licensed” calibrator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #594 of 3129 Old 09-28-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orta View Post
Quote:

isf Expert (Dark Room)
OLED LIGHT 28
Contrast 85
Brightness 51
Color 50
Tint 0

Colour Gamut Auto
Gamma BT.1886

Colour Temperature Warm2

Black Level Low

---

Red +11
Green 0
Blue +5

---

What am I doing wrong?
Mine does the same thing and the correction values I'm having to apply are very similar to yours with red being by far the most deficient, followed by blue. I only started last night and did not get long to play with it, hopefully pazman can cue us in on some additional fix tricks. I noticed an additional oddity where with contrast at 100, the 100% windowed pattern (did not test full field) would produce radically different results than the 90, 80, 70 etc... patterns. Dropping contrast to ~80 or less seemed to correct it. There seem to be a number of odd performance anomalies with these displays, and the white balance is very poor out of the box. I must admit first impressions have not been very positive given the amount of praise these displays have received.
The best thing you could do is read this thread from the beginning as there are many tips and links to calibration basics from pro calibrators .
I?m no pro and have only been calibrating my oleds for 2 years or so .
These 2017 sets are nice to calibrate in comparison to previous models .
Contrast 78-80 looks to be the norm on theses sets .
Theses sets are the most accurate LG oleds out the box todate, WB dE below 4 is what I have found on mine which is not bad out the box .Gamma takes the most work to get correct on my sets .
I use extended colour Gamut colour 46 and some minor CMS adjustments of -+4 to get colour dE 1 or under 1 as recommended by D nice .
post #595 of 3129 Old 09-28-2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
Quote:
Yes
Quote:
I would only use the 2pt High controls.
Quote:
adding should be fine.
Hey D nice
What problems should I expect when using 2 pt low ?
I only needed 2 pt low -3 green to get 5ire perfect and have not noticed any problems ,not that they are not any I just have not seen any yet .
I did try using 20 pt only for lower ire to compare but found no difference between the two methods .
post #596 of 3129 Old 09-29-2017, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 4285 Post(s)
Liked: 5236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post
I’m only an amateur self taught calibrator. But with dv I keep hearing about a golden reference file? Is that something that can only be obtained through a “licensed” calibrator?

Originally, the idea was to use a GRF to calibrate DV and they did create them for the Vizio's. Now they have abandoned that method in favor of creating a unique configuration file for your specific set using the new Custom DV workflow in Calman 2017. My guess is that the GRF's created for a specific set were still too "general" and not very good to use on all panels due to their variations.

In my experience, the panels do vary, some quite a lot so this is a much better way to calibrate DV. The only drawback is you need a specific pattern generator and it takes a lot of practice and a lot of time to get it right.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #597 of 3129 Old 09-29-2017, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 1325
Quote:
Originally, the idea was to use a GRF to calibrate DV and they did create them for the Vizio's. Now they have abandoned that method in favor of creating a unique configuration file for your specific set using the new Custom DV workflow in Calman 2017. My guess is that the GRF's created for a specific set were still too "general" and not very good to use on all panels due to their variations.

In my experience, the panels do vary, some quite a lot so this is a much better way to calibrate DV. The only drawback is you need a specific pattern generator and it takes a lot of practice and a lot of time to get it right.

Yea, the murideo is slightly out of my price range for a hobbyist lol

post #598 of 3129 Old 09-29-2017, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

As things are more complex now, having a receiver is quickly becoming a hindrance as you're limited to one set of calibration options for just one input. Having your sources going directly to the TV and calibrating per input is a much better way of having the right calibration for the type of content that source will be pushing out.
Quote:
Is Gamma part of the metadata that a player like the Oppo could help identify? If so, you could have a calibration for different gamma curves and pick the one that matches the film? I'd think that's probably the best bet we have for now.
Hi, SDR don't have metadata which was show what gamma used during mastering....when you need to decide for one target gamma value (for night viewing) to calibrate using the internal calibration controls of LG, a gamma value between 2.35-2.4 will be fine, since you don't have more emply slots to calibrate other gamma values.

Because the Gamma of SDR movies are mastered its variable at past and still...from year-to-year, it's unknown also what gamma value each studio has used, currently most of the studios are using 2.4, before some years it was 2.35 (per EBU...now EBU has changed it to 2.4), older movies were 2.2....for that reason having one gamma option it's not guarantee to you good performance to all the movies you will watch.

When you do 3D LUT for SDR with eeColor 3D LUT Box (or with other processors), you can generate different calibrated gamma's to 3-4 slots (using the same display measured data from one measurement run...no need to re-measure for each target gamma, if your software support this), to swap real-time to see how it's affecting you picture and select the one that you satisfied most...since we are don't know what gamma each studio has used each SDR movie.

eeColor is the only 3D LUT Box which is working with free open source software DisplayCAL/ArgyllCMS (where you can use Google's ChromeCast for patch generation for the thousand color point measurements)...so you keep the total cost very low.

It can be used from LightSpace HTL or CalMAN Enthousiast also from paid software solutions.

When you move to 3D LUT, you have the best possible color performance to any saturation/luminance/hue level (it's up to the user how many colors points it will measure....2000, 5000 etc.

I use eeColor with 3D LUT display characterization to my system from 2012, there no way back to classic calibration which takes a lot of time to calibrate just some 10-20 grayscale and 6 colors, taking multiple runs of the same patch measurements, open/close menus etc..., so you spend hours to just calibrate a few colors only.
Rolls-Royce and RobertR1 like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #599 of 3129 Old 09-29-2017, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Red +11
Green 0
Blue +5

What am I doing wrong?
Hi, which numbers of the flashing bars you see them flashing and which of them have red-ish shade?

post #600 of 3129 Old 09-29-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Quote:

Red +11
Green 0
Blue +5

What am I doing wrong?
Hi, which numbers of the flashing bars you see them flashing and which of them have red-ish shade?
All of the bars that flash are pink Tedd when 2 pt red high is used to add red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page