LG 2017 OLED Calibration Thread and Settings - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3285Likes

post #691 of 3120 Old 10-13-2017, 05:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarydude View Post
Now that Technicolor mode is available for everyone(out of beta). Do we calibrate in this mode like in ISF (Dark/Bright) mode? Or there are different guidelines?
its no different to isf

Last edited by pazman2000; 10-13-2017 at 05:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 3120 Old 10-13-2017, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazman2000 View Post
its no different to isf
You testes? i dont have a meter but with eye i can say that the Tecnikolor mode its a little bit more colorful than ISF, also, its REALLY BRIGHT, both HDR and SDR
post #693 of 3120 Old 10-13-2017, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by onaga View Post
You testes? i dont have a meter but with eye i can say that the Tecnikolor mode its a little bit more colorful than ISF, also, its REALLY BRIGHT, both HDR and SDR
if technicolor is adjustable like ISF, shouldn't it all be reference level for brightness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 3120 Old 10-13-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarydude View Post
if technicolor is adjustable like ISF, shouldn't it all be reference level for brightness?

its defaults to 80 Oled Light BUT! in some scenes its a little bit more dim than Cinema or ISF Day with same oled light, its also defaults to the 1886 gamma curve.

also when you tweak its settings it changes to the User level to tell you than its been modifid
post #695 of 3120 Old 10-13-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:
its no different to isf
I have calibrated it it?s identcal to isf bright/darkroom dependant oled contrast and such .
I?ve had it a month now it?s nice to have another prest that?s fully calibratable but it?s all it is just another isf preset
post #696 of 3120 Old 10-13-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I have calibrated it it?s identcal to isf bright/darkroom dependant oled contrast and such .
I?ve had it a month now it?s nice to have another prest that?s fully calibratable but it?s all it is just another isf preset
mmm maybe its depends of panel, i just receive the oficial update yesterday, tv version 04.70.07

another things that l notice its the technikolor mode seems more warm(yellowish) than the Warm 2 setting.
post #697 of 3120 Old 10-13-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Quote:
mmm maybe its depends of panel, i just receive the oficial update yesterday, tv version 04.70.07

another things that l notice its the technikolor mode seems more warm(yellowish) than the Warm 2 setting.
It?s just a sales gimmick pal . It?s the same as isf
post #698 of 3120 Old 10-13-2017, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

Sure by default settings I am sure they look different.

If this preset is allowed to be calibrated to reference points... it should just look like all the other preset that you can calibrate to reference.

Unless the preset has a new tone mapping or CMS shift that changes color renditions. In which case no calibrators have said anything about this.

Or maybe Technicolor will release their own "reference" specification. and then we can store that calibration to this preset

Last edited by rotarydude; 10-13-2017 at 11:04 AM.
post #699 of 3120 Old 10-14-2017, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What software should one use if they want to calibrate their B7? I have an i1display pro that I've used for my Dell monitors. (U2415, U2413) I'm curious if this would be suitable enough for the LG. I tried running i1profiler with it but the colors came out *really really* bad. Just really didn't work well... I think the software generally works well with the monitors but definitely doesn't work with this TV.

I'm really hoping to set a good calibration for the ISF Dark room and ISF Bright room modes for my PC. I'd like to game and watch netflix through my PC. (Can't use the built-in apps because my speakers can't be run through the TV (no such thing as optical out to balanced XLR as of yet)).

Right now I've noticed the TV runs a bit cool. The white has some blue tinting to it and I'd like to correct it. It's not bad out of the box but it is off.
post #700 of 3120 Old 10-14-2017, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by P40L0 View Post
Hello Everybody,

after weeks of consolidating the recommended settings from Rtings.com, this own Community, A/B testing and direct Calibration for my 55B7V, I'd like to share the setup I've finally settled with.

This setup is specifically optimized for Gaming and Media Consumption both for SDR and HDR Modes (Xbox One/S/X - WebOS, but should also work for PS4/Pro and PC Gaming):

> Xbox One/S and/or SDR Mode

INPUT

HDMI1 Input Mode: GAME CONSOLE

GENERAL

HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color: ON

PICTURE

Picture Mode: GAME (USER)

Energy Saving: OFF

OLED Light: 65

Contrast: 85

Brightness: 53

Sharpness: 0

Color: 50

Tint: 0

Color Temperature: W35

EXPERT CONTROLS

Dynamic Contrast: OFF

Dynamic Color: OFF

Super Resolution: OFF

Color Gamut: WIDE*

Color Filter: OFF

Gamma: LOW

PICTURE OPTIONS

Noise Reduction: OFF*

MPEG Noise Reduction: OFF*

Black Level: LOW

Motion Eye Care: OFF

OLED PANEL SETTINGS

Screen Shift: ON

XBOX ONE/S - CONSOLE SETTINGS:

VIDEO OUTPUT

TV Resolution: 1080p/4K

TV Connection: AUTO-DETECT

Color Depth: 10-BIT

Color Space: Standard (Recommended)

Advanced settings: ALLOW 50HZ/24HZ

__________________________________________________ ______________________

> Xbox One S/X and/or HDR Mode

INPUT

HDMI1 Input Mode: GAME CONSOLE

GENERAL

HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color: ON

PICTURE

HDR Picture Mode: GAME (USER)

Energy Saving: OFF

OLED Light: 100

Contrast: 100

Brightness: 50

Sharpness: 0

Color: 55

Tint: 0

Color Temperature: W35

EXPERT CONTROLS

Dynamic Contrast: LOW

Dynamic Color: OFF

Super Resolution: OFF

Color Gamut: AUTO

Color Filter: OFF

Gamma: MEDIUM*

PICTURE OPTIONS

Noise Reduction: OFF*

MPEG Noise Reduction: OFF*

Black Level: LOW

Motion Eye Care: OFF

OLED PANEL SETTINGS

Screen Shift: ON

XBOX ONE S/X - CONSOLE SETTINGS:

VIDEO OUTPUT

TV Resolution: 1080p/4K

TV Connection: AUTO-DETECT

Color Depth: 10-BIT

Color Space: Standard (Recommended)

Advanced settings: ALLOW 50HZ/24HZ/HDR/4K

*Not editable in Game Mode

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Give it a spin if you want, and let me know how it looks also for you

Cheers,

Paolo

EDIT1: Minor adjustments

Hey @P40L0 , is there any reason you’re recommending enabling Ultra Deep Color in SDR content? I don’t have any HDR consoles (yet), so I’m trying to translate these for my Switch. Also, isn’t setting both the console and TV to display the full RGB scale (Black Level) generally recommended?

LG OLED55C7P
Apple TV 4K
Nintendo Switch
post #701 of 3120 Old 10-14-2017, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hi everyone,
I’m hoping someone here can offer some clarity on this.
I’ve read that our TV’s cannot properly display a 4:4:4 signal outside of PC Mode, and that it will downsample the Chroma to 4:2:2. PC Mode is a deal breaker for me in watching movies because of the refresh rate lock. That being the case, am I better off sending a 4:4:4 signal to the TV and letting it downsample to 4:2:2, the back up to 4:4:4 for display, or sending a 4:2:2 signal to the TV and letting it upsample to 4:4:4 for display? I know testing this out provides the best answer, but I’m curious to know what exactly is happening data-wise during this process.

LG OLED55C7P
Apple TV 4K
Nintendo Switch
post #702 of 3120 Old 10-14-2017, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked: 3575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orta View Post
D-Nice (and other calibrators or enthusiasts), have you noticed any issues with the white balance results meters are giving you on these displays Vs. comparative results with other calibrated displays (LCD's or PDP's)? I have a couple mobile devices whose displays measure very well (and indeed look nearly identical to each other), but setting them up beside an ostensibly calibrated OLED, the OLED white point looks vastly different by eye. While the metered results are telling me the OLED is spot on, it still appears to have a pretty strong greenish yellow cast to it. With an i1D3, in ISF Bright Warm 2, High 2 point is requiring around -7 Green and -5 Blue at 80 Contrast and 50 OLED Light to measure correctly. But to approximate the white point of the mobile LCD's by eye, I'm having to make much more radical change, something like -15 Green, +15 Blue, and +5 Red. Have you observed any kind of trend in what kind of corrections you've been having to apply to make the white balance on these displays appear neutral?
Welcome to the discussion.....

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...-lg-oleds.html
WiFi-Spy likes this.
post #703 of 3120 Old 10-14-2017, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
Hah, thanks a lot D, that is exactly what I'm seeing and what I was looking for. For anyone running into the same problem, here are his suggested new targets.

Last edited by Orta; 10-14-2017 at 01:56 PM.
post #704 of 3120 Old 10-14-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk86 View Post
Hi everyone,
I’m hoping someone here can offer some clarity on this.
I’ve read that our TV’s cannot properly display a 4:4:4 signal outside of PC Mode, and that it will downsample the Chroma to 4:2:2. PC Mode is a deal breaker for me in watching movies because of the refresh rate lock. That being the case, am I better off sending a 4:4:4 signal to the TV and letting it downsample to 4:2:2, the back up to 4:4:4 for display, or sending a 4:2:2 signal to the TV and letting it upsample to 4:4:4 for display? I know testing this out provides the best answer, but I’m curious to know what exactly is happening data-wise during this process.
PC only? bacuase all BD players output 420 or 422, also all movies are 420 at the end.

about your question, outside PC the tv will always work in 4:2:2 no metter what you select, In PC mode, its not like the tv upsample to 4:4:4 its just that the TV its bypassing the signal pure at it takes and display it in 4:4:4 (native panel)

for watching movies, l recommend stay outside PC mode, you gain the proccesing like Real Cinema plus better upsacling in 1080p/SD signals., movies are stored in 4:2:0 you you not gain or loss anything to the tv in 4:2:2

sorry for bad english
post #705 of 3120 Old 10-15-2017, 01:14 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk86 View Post
Hey @P40L0 , is there any reason you’re recommending enabling Ultra Deep Color in SDR content? I don’t have any HDR consoles (yet), so I’m trying to translate these for my Switch. Also, isn’t setting both the console and TV to display the full RGB scale (Black Level) generally recommended?
Considering the TV is capable of 10-bit colors, and Xbox One (at least) has the 10-Bit Colors selection even in SDR Mode, I see no harm to enable it and set it even in SDR, just to align to TV specs
post #706 of 3120 Old 10-15-2017, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 69
With the new Technicolor preset, I would be interested to know what professional calibrators think of the color accuracy vs isf Expert modes, prior to any calibration. I don’t have access to a real pro calibrator and I’m wondering which preset is best without calibration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PeteNeat likes this.
post #707 of 3120 Old 10-15-2017, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I just got my C7 and broke it in for a few hours and comp cycles and now did a basic calibration with an x-rite i1 display and HCFR. I basically started with the rtings.com settings and the got a very good grey scale with all dE < 1 when lowering blue to -8 in the high setting. I am also pretty satisfied with what I see although the white seems a bit warm and the right side of my screen has too much red (dE around 5 in 100% white), while the left side is almost perfect. Primaries and Secondaries where all <3 dE without changes, so I did not touch them.

Now, I went to using "R.Masciola's HDR-10 UHD Test Patterns" and wanted to do a grey scale calibration again using HCFR. I set it to Rec 2020 although I assume that does not change much as I will be -- and here comes my first questions -- calibrating towards D65 again? Right? Because the Cinema Home as well as Game mode in HDR were MUCH too blue again (10% and 20% patterns where great but from there on, dEs where through the roof, like 20 off in 90% grey). I had to switch the color mode to W50 (this is the warmest you can choose) to get an acceptable (< 3 dE) grey scale calibration result. It looks kind of warm to me, but that is similar to what my impression is for SDR. With Cinema Home mode I can't even get to the <3 dEs even with W50. (I played them back using the internal player via HD.)

Now, questions:

- Does HDR target D65 as white point?
- Might my i1 Display not be up to the job of measuring the very bright greys and f*ck up the rgb balance?
- Do you have similar findings in your sets?
- How can I do a grey scale calibration for Dolby Vision content?
- Might I be f*cking up my color reproduction in HDR when I go all the way to W50? (For testing I watched a few "The Martian" scenes and it looked good but faces seemed a bit orang-y - interior scenes looked natural, though.)
- Might HCFR not be up to the job for HDR calibration?

Thanks for some insights.
post #708 of 3120 Old 10-16-2017, 12:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurr4 View Post
I just got my C7 and broke it in for a few hours and comp cycles and now did a basic calibration with an x-rite i1 display and HCFR. I basically started with the rtings.com settings and the got a very good grey scale with all dE < 1 when lowering blue to -8 in the high setting. I am also pretty satisfied with what I see although the white seems a bit warm and the right side of my screen has too much red (dE around 5 in 100% white), while the left side is almost perfect. Primaries and Secondaries where all <3 dE without changes, so I did not touch them.

Now, I went to using "R.Masciola's HDR-10 UHD Test Patterns" and wanted to do a grey scale calibration again using HCFR. I set it to Rec 2020 although I assume that does not change much as I will be -- and here comes my first questions -- calibrating towards D65 again? Right? Because the Cinema Home as well as Game mode in HDR were MUCH too blue again (10% and 20% patterns where great but from there on, dEs where through the roof, like 20 off in 90% grey). I had to switch the color mode to W50 (this is the warmest you can choose) to get an acceptable (< 3 dE) grey scale calibration result. It looks kind of warm to me, but that is similar to what my impression is for SDR. With Cinema Home mode I can't even get to the <3 dEs even with W50. (I played them back using the internal player via HD.)

Now, questions:

- Does HDR target D65 as white point?
- Might my i1 Display not be up to the job of measuring the very bright greys and f*ck up the rgb balance?
- Do you have similar findings in your sets?
- How can I do a grey scale calibration for Dolby Vision content?
- Might I be f*cking up my color reproduction in HDR when I go all the way to W50? (For testing I watched a few "The Martian" scenes and it looked good but faces seemed a bit orang-y - interior scenes looked natural, though.)
- Might HCFR not be up to the job for HDR calibration?

Thanks for some insights.
I can't speak to your HDR questions, but in regards to SDR with HCFR, my understanding is you do not want to use the OLED Display Type preset, you should instead use the Non-Refresh Display preset. Additionally, based on your similar observations, you probably want to try an alternative white point than the standard x .313 y .329 (see thread here). From what I gather, how most/some/several people perceive white and gray on these displays can appear rather different from what a meter says is right. D-Nice can correct me or corroborate this, but it sounds like the degree of perceived error may be something that varies from individual to individual based on the physical make up of your eyes.
PeteNeat likes this.

Last edited by Orta; 10-16-2017 at 12:13 AM.
post #709 of 3120 Old 10-16-2017, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks for the reply. I just re-calibrated to the alternate white point proposed there and indeed it looks much more pleasing to my eye (less warm) and matches eg. the iPad display white more closely. I also used the same for HDR and I am also very happy with that. For HDR game mode it resulted in using W45 instead of W50. I also used the non-refresh display preset instead of OLED and it already showed that I dialed down blue too much before.
PeteNeat likes this.
post #710 of 3120 Old 10-17-2017, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 96
LG 2017 OLED Calibration Thread and Settings

I may give this a go. Thanks to everyone for their input. What SDR peak brightness have folks been going for with the alternate white point?

LGOLED55C7P - Calman Enthusiast - I1Display / I1Pro
post #711 of 3120 Old 10-17-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNeat View Post
I may give this a go. Thanks to everyone for their input. What SDR peak brightness have folks been going for with the alternate white point?
Peak brightness is irrelevant to white point target. However if you want to follow SMPTE recommendations and what is going on in post houses, 100-120 nits in a low light room.
jrref likes this.
post #712 of 3120 Old 10-18-2017, 03:35 AM

After latest official Xbox One OS release of Fall Creators Update, Picture Quality output on B7/C7 has slightly changed, so I had to re-calibrate it a bit.

You can check here the latest Calibrated Settings for Game Mode
ValentinPbo likes this.
post #713 of 3120 Old 10-18-2017, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
Peak brightness is irrelevant to white point target. However if you want to follow SMPTE recommendations and what is going on in post houses, 100-120 nits in a low light room.
Hi D-Nice, thank you for the information. I noticed your preference is dark room viewing. I wanted to know how things looked using your target for lighter room settings as this appears to affect us all in different ways.

LGOLED55C7P - Calman Enthusiast - I1Display / I1Pro
post #714 of 3120 Old 10-18-2017, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
After latest official Xbox One OS release of Fall Creators Update, Picture Quality output on B7/C7 has slightly changed, so I had to re-calibrate it a bit.

You can check here the latest Calibrated Settings for Game Mode
What settings do you use for cinema and BD?
post #715 of 3120 Old 10-18-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValentinPbo View Post
What settings do you use for cinema and BD?
I'm lazy, and tend to use the same gaming SDR and HDR presets for everything, with the same device (in this case Xbox One, and soon Xbox One X).
I'm satisfied with the results anyway
ValentinPbo likes this.
post #716 of 3120 Old 10-18-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNeat View Post
Hi D-Nice, thank you for the information. I noticed your preference is dark room viewing. I wanted to know how things looked using your target for lighter room settings as this appears to affect us all in different ways.
It looks as it should. However please keep in mind that room light and wall/room colors will impact your viewing experience.
PeteNeat likes this.
post #717 of 3120 Old 10-19-2017, 03:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Please may I ask Calibrators about a question on OLED LIGHT level for SDR.

For SDR in both ISF BRIGHT or ISF DARK after calibration has anyone set OLED LIGHT to 100?

post #718 of 3120 Old 10-19-2017, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundizer17 View Post
Please may I ask Calibrators about a question on OLED LIGHT level for SDR.

For SDR in both ISF BRIGHT or ISF DARK after calibration has anyone set OLED LIGHT to 100?

dark room 30-50 brightroom 100 if that?s what you need
post #719 of 3120 Old 10-19-2017, 05:05 AM

Quote:
70 should be an all around good value for any light condition
post #720 of 3120 Old 10-19-2017, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:
70 should be an all around good value for any light condition
If your eyes can stand 70 oled at night in a dark room go for it , 50 is my max for night time veiwing that 150 cd/m2

Last edited by pazman2000; 10-19-2017 at 05:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page