LG 2017 OLED Calibration Thread and Settings - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3370Likes

post #1111 of 3274 Old 11-27-2017, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
what firmware is your tv on?
Official EU 4.70.10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 3274 Old 11-27-2017, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR11 View Post
Is there a consensus set of settings to use (without a pro calibration)? I've read lots of these posts (not all of them), but I haven't spotted the consensus settings.

Recently bought a 65" B7A. (it is so nice, that I've decided to sell my Panasonic vt60).

I'd like one set for watching network TV in a bright room, and one for watching blu rays in a dark room.

Other than turning off most "enhancements", I have not found the magical settings yet.

I question, gamma, gamut, contrast, color, oled light, etc.

Appreciate your help.
You won't likely find complete consensus, but I've attempted to collect the best supported recommendations throughout this thread in my spreadsheet. The good news is that the TV does a pretty good job with default settings. The basic recommendations, which you can see more detail on in the spreadsheet by reading the comments, are to pick an expert mode (Cinema for DV), turn down the OLED light as appropriate for your viewing environment (Only in SDR. Don't touch it for HDR/DV), and select Auto gamut if it's not the default (in isf expert bright room only).

For enhancements, you probably want sharpness at 0, and edge enhancement off in SDR, but leave it on for HDR/DV. Noise reduction is on Low by default for HDR/DV, so turn it off. Keep in mind that you might want to leave Dynamic Contrast on Low for HDR as it enables the active HDR feature.
thephatp, Letuch and Spooky73 like this.
post #1113 of 3274 Old 11-27-2017, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 72
its funny how ISF Dark defaults to Oled Light 60, thats its almost 200 cdm2!! but it gives SDR material a incredible HDR feel whatever the content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1114 of 3274 Old 11-27-2017, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbebel View Post
Do you happen to have a reference for the source of this information? Particularly where LG states that it's YouTube's problem?
Came here to search about this issue as I had noticed the washed out Youtube videos on the internal app of my C7. I noticed dropping the Brightness setting from 50 down to 30 resolved the issue.
post #1115 of 3274 Old 11-27-2017, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked: 1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by onaga View Post
its funny how ISF Dark defaults to Oled Light 60, thats its almost 200 cdm2!! but it gives SDR material a incredible HDR feel whatever the content.
The default settings include one of the energy savings levels so max output for default ISF Dark is much lower.
PeteNeat likes this.
post #1116 of 3274 Old 11-27-2017, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post
Came here to search about this issue as I had noticed the washed out Youtube videos on the internal app of my C7. I noticed dropping the Brightness setting from 50 down to 30 resolved the issue.
I don't think that will do what you want. You'll mess up the EOTF in all kinds of ways, and even if it works ok for YouTube, you'll ruin every other internal app for HDR. Go get a Chromecast Ultra, which happens to be on sale through today. Or maybe a Roku Streaming Stick+ might work, but I've had bad luck getting Rokus to work well with HDR. The Chromecast Ultra is built for YouTube, and it has the advantage of being the only way to play Google Play Movies in HDR.
post #1117 of 3274 Old 11-27-2017, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by P40L0 View Post
Hello Everybody,
after weeks of consolidating the recommended settings from Rtings.com, this own Community, A/B testing and direct Calibration for my 55B7V, I'd like to share the setup I've finally settled with.

This setup is specifically optimized for Gaming and Media Consumption both for SDR and HDR Modes (Xbox One/S/X - WebOS, but should also work for PS4/Pro and PC Gaming):

> Xbox One and/or SDR Mode (Fall Creators Update Dashboard OS and above)

INPUT
HDMI1 Input Icon/Mode: Game Console
GENERAL
HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color: ON
PICTURE
Picture Mode: Game
Energy Saving: OFF
OLED Light: 60
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 51
Sharpness: 10
Color: 46
Tint: 0
Color Temperature: W50
EXPERT CONTROLS
Dynamic Contrast: OFF
Dynamic Color: OFF
Super Resolution: OFF
Color Gamut: WIDE
Gamma: MEDIUM
PICTURE OPTIONS
Noise Reduction: OFF
MPEG Noise Reduction: OFF
Black Level: LOW
Real Cinema: OFF
Motion Eye Care: OFF
TruMotion: OFF
OLED PANEL SETTINGS
Screen Shift: ON

__________________________________________________ ______________________

> Xbox One S/X and/or HDR Mode (Fall Creators Update Dashboard OS and above)

INPUT
HDMI1 Input Icon/Mode: Game Console
GENERAL
HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color: ON
PICTURE
HDR Picture Mode: HDR Game
Energy Saving: OFF
OLED Light: 100
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 10
Color: 55
Tint: 0
Color Temperature: W50
EXPERT CONTROLS
Dynamic Contrast: MEDIUM
Dynamic Color: OFF
Super Resolution: OFF
Color Gamut: AUTO
Gamma: MEDIUM
PICTURE OPTIONS
Noise Reduction: OFF
MPEG Noise Reduction: OFF
Black Level: LOW
Real Cinema: OFF
Motion Eye Care: OFF
TruMotion: OFF
OLED PANEL SETTINGS
Screen Shift: ON

__________________________________________________ ____________________

>OG XBOX ONE - Console Settings:
VIDEO OUTPUT

TV Resolution: 1080p
TV Connection: AUTO-DETECT
Color Depth: 10-BIT
Color Space: Standard (Recommended)
Advanced settings: ALLOW 50HZ/24HZ

>XBOX ONE S/X - Console Settings:
VIDEO OUTPUT

TV Resolution: 4K
TV Connection: AUTO-DETECT
Color Depth: 10-BIT
Color Space: Standard (Recommended)
Advanced settings: ALLOW 50HZ/24HZ/HDR/4K/YCC 4:2:2 (VERY IMPORTANT TO FLAG ALL)______________________________________________ _________________________

Give it a spin if you want, and let me know how it looks also for you

Cheers,
Paolo

NOTE: Both Netflix and Blu-Ray apps on Xbox One X are currently bugged for everyone right now, have a read here --> https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...nd-xbox-one-s/

Until it is fixed on Xbox side, I recommend to just use the in-built TV Netflix app, that works perfectly with Technicolor Expert in SDR and Dolby Vision "Home Cinema" Mode for HDR (both with just TruMotion to set to User, De-Judder 0;De-Blur 0 in advanced options) --> FIXED WITH LATEST DASHBOARD UPDATE

EDIT1: Minor adjustments
EDIT2: After official release of Fall Creators Update for Xbox One, Picture Quality has changed, so settings were slightly re-calibrated!
EDIT3: Re-adjusted Color Temperature to match the default "Warm2" reference of ISF Dark Room preset.
EDIT4: Calibration re-done/updated after latest official LG 4.70.07+ Firmware, both for SDR and HDR.
EDIT5: Today I received my Xbox One X (Scorpio Edition), and after 4 hours testing, I re-done all the calibration based on the best results I got (No more "PC Input" in favor of "Game Console Input" + SDR/HDR Game Modes + values adjusted a bit). This is the final calibration, no more adjustments will be made. Enjoy!
EDIT6: Xbox One X HDR is now fixed both on Blu-Ray and Netflix app + I made very slight adjustment to SDR Color and HDR Color Gamut accordingly.
EDIT7: OP slightly adjusted for clarity.
EDIT8: Added a sample picture with everything set-up (also to demonstrate that calibrated HDR Game Mode is not dim at all, especially with DC set to MEDIUM ):

Looks good Paolo! Can you please share your in-game Brightness and HDR settings? Thanks!
scbeck88 likes this.
post #1118 of 3274 Old 11-27-2017, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't think that will do what you want. You'll mess up the EOTF in all kinds of ways, and even if it works ok for YouTube, you'll ruin every other internal app for HDR. Go get a Chromecast Ultra, which happens to be on sale through today. Or maybe a Roku Streaming Stick+ might work, but I've had bad luck getting Rokus to work well with HDR. The Chromecast Ultra is built for YouTube, and it has the advantage of being the only way to play Google Play Movies in HDR.
It does mess up the EOTF for other sources as using Brightness 30 to watch 4K discs would be way too dark. However, since internal app and HDMI2 are not the same input, I can have different settings for each. I'm also noticing besides Youtube, there's no other internal app I'd be using HDR10/HLG on, as Netflix and Vudu both use Dolby Vision.

I do want to add, as I had compared Netflix HDR10 on Shield TV vs Dolby Vision on C7 internal app, that DV looks way better than HDR10. Not just the colors but for some reason the grain is much more prevalent on DV, and I'm one of those people that enjoys seeing it. The image appears sharper and more detailed on DV than HDR10.

Sadly I can't enjoy Atmos yet as I'm unable to get HDMI ARC to work between the C7 and my Pioneer VSX-1130 receiver. Going to "Audio Out" in the TV settings while Simplink is on with ARC turned on on the receiver keeps reverting to Internal Speakers.
post #1119 of 3274 Old 11-27-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soycrema View Post
Looks good Paolo! Can you please share your in-game Brightness and HDR settings? Thanks!
General Brightness lowered by 1 unit.
Luminance: 1.000
Paper White: 300

post #1120 of 3274 Old 11-27-2017, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post
Grayscale around 45-50 fL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad do you still offset 0% black (.001fL) with the 7 series vs the 6 series ?
The offset worked well with the 55B6P last year...

Thanks
Todd
post #1121 of 3274 Old 11-27-2017, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 1618
It did work great on the 6 series. For the 7 series dark room mode I use half that number and bt1886 gamma, and I use 5% size standard window.

touring ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 and Klein K-10
Latest reviews:JVC RS540, JVC RS3000, Sony VPL-VW695ES
Copied settings measured, Review archive
post #1122 of 3274 Old 11-27-2017, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post
It did work great on the 6 series. For the 7 series dark room mode I use half that number and bt1886 gamma, and I use 5% size standard window.
Thanks for the quick reply
Any reason for only 5% window size (LG recommends 18%) and I will probably use 10% from the GCD test disk and HCFR.
One really nice thing about these 7 series is the absence of ABL with OLED light @ 38 & contrast @ 85. I have not measured anything yet (just finished with D-Nice slides the last 3 weeks) but would guess the peak white level is in your 45-50 fL range.
The other nice thing is I have the picture quite watchable with just a couple quick adjustments to the 2 point high controls (no greenies in the mid tones) !

Todd
post #1123 of 3274 Old 11-28-2017, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 231
I'm a relatively new 65B7P owner and longtime hobbyist calibrator, going back to calibrating movie theaters for Regal, but I'm a little confused by the new HDR process. I've read all 38 pages of this post, along with many other sources, and even emailed the SpectraCal guys, but can't seem to figure out a few things:

1. Is it possible to calibrate DV without the VideoForge PRO? SpectraCal said no (via email), but some posts on here act like it is built into CalMan. If so, does the Enthusiast version allow this?

2. I see talk about the issues with colorimeters and LG OLEDs, but is the i1Display good enough to use for home, i.e. non-professional results?

3. How many settings need to be calibrated? It seems that the TV has separate settings for each input and then for SDR, HD, 4K SDR, 4K HDR, 4K HDR10, DV, and others? For each color space? Going through the RM UHD|HDR-10 Test Pattern Suite, it seems like there are numerous things to calibrate.

Any help or advice is much appreciated!

Preamp/Amps: Anthem AVM60, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5, A-300
Speakers: (7.1.2): Klipsch Reference Premiere / Power Sound Audio S3000i sub
Video: LG OLED65B7A, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Premiere+, Nvidia Shield TV
Room: GIK Acoustics treatments
post #1124 of 3274 Old 11-28-2017, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Does anyone know why I can not access white balance settings... it is grayed out.

Astell&Kern Futura SE100-Klipsch x11i-Klipsch x20i-Focal Clear
Pioneer SC85-NOS Valves NBS Preamp-NOS Valves Magnequest VRD
Klipsch Cornwall-Heresy II Signature-SW115-La Scala II 70th
Wyred4Sound DAC 2v2se 10th Anniversary-OPPO UHP203
Samsung PN64D8000-LG C7/65"
post #1125 of 3274 Old 11-28-2017, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 113
LG 2017 OLED Calibration Thread and Settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schubeedoobee View Post
Does anyone know why I can not access white balance settings... it is grayed out.

There is a setting “eye motion” or something close to that name in the picture mode settings. Turn that off and you should be able to access the white balance. I can’t remember it it is in expert or picture settings.

LGOLED77G7P/65B6P - Oppo 203
Denon X6300H/Onkyo Tx NR3030; Atlona HDR HDBaseT
Klipsch 7.1.4
R-3800-W II Fronts ; R-5502-W II Center
RS-42 II Surrounds ; CDT-3800-C II Heights, R-112SW Subs
post #1126 of 3274 Old 11-28-2017, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
It does mess up the EOTF for other sources as using Brightness 30 to watch 4K discs would be way too dark. However, since internal app and HDMI2 are not the same input, I can have different settings for each. I'm also noticing besides Youtube, there's no other internal app I'd be using HDR10/HLG on, as Netflix and Vudu both use Dolby Vision.
Have you actually gotten DV from the internal Netflix or Vudu apps? I've never seen the TV switch to HDR or DV setting (the popup in the upper right corner of the screen). Am I missing something in a setting? My down speed is consistently 25-50MB.

Quote:
I do want to add, as I had compared Netflix HDR10 on Shield TV vs Dolby Vision on C7 internal app, that DV looks way better than HDR10. Not just the colors but for some reason the grain is much more prevalent on DV, and I'm one of those people that enjoys seeing it. The image appears sharper and more detailed on DV than HDR10.
Have you (or anyone here) tried this on an AppleTV 4k by chance? I've tried numerous 18Gbps HDMI cables, and I get a nearly constant red flashing, even when not playing content on it.

Quote:
Sadly I can't enjoy Atmos yet as I'm unable to get HDMI ARC to work between the C7 and my Pioneer VSX-1130 receiver. Going to "Audio Out" in the TV settings while Simplink is on with ARC turned on on the receiver keeps reverting to Internal Speakers.
I remember having this problem with my EG9100 and Denon X4000. I can't remember exactly what I did to change it but there was setting on the Denon--not just enabling CEC, but something else as well. I see if I can dig that up. Also, are you controlling your devices from the SIMPLINK feature as well (turning them on and off)? I had problems getting the audio through at first as well when I got my C7 last week. I can't recall exactly if turning off the feature to automatically control the devices fixed it, but I know I have that off now.

Quote:
You won't likely find complete consensus, but I've attempted to collect the best supported recommendations throughout this thread in my spreadsheet. The good news is that the TV does a pretty good job with default settings. The basic recommendations, which you can see more detail on in the spreadsheet by reading the comments, are to pick an expert mode (Cinema for DV), turn down the OLED light as appropriate for your viewing environment (Only in SDR. Don't touch it for HDR/DV), and select Auto gamut if it's not the default (in isf expert bright room only).
First off, thanks for putting this spreadsheet together!

Second, I'm wondering if my set is a bit different than others. I was very underwhelmed at first with the default settings. HDR/DV was way too dark. Standard wasn't too bad for SDR. Sports, Game, etc were really not good. I've tried some of the settings recommended here, and those definitely helped, but I still did a basic SDR calibration with the WOW disc afterward because it was still too dark.

One last question to @All, has anyone tried the UHD HDR-10 Disc mentioned in the previously linked YouTube video comparing Xbox One X vs 4k Blu-ray Player? Considering the defaults and recommended calibrations in the thread haven't quite gotten me where I want to be, I am looking for something that can help me calibrate in HDR (and maybe DV).

----------
LG OLED65C7P, LG EG9100, (Retired: Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK)
Denon X4000, B&W 7.1
DM 603 S3 (x2), LCR600 S3, DS3 (x2), 686 S2 (x2), Hsu VTF-3 MK5
Sony UBP-X800, Apple TV 4K, DTV 4K
post #1127 of 3274 Old 11-28-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thephatp View Post
Have you actually gotten DV from the internal Netflix or Vudu apps? I've never seen the TV switch to HDR or DV setting (the popup in the upper right corner of the screen). Am I missing something in a setting? My down speed is consistently 25-50MB.
I am getting HDR and DV from both apps and Amazon as well. For Netflix, you'll need to have the 4 screens, 4K plan. If not, it won't work. For Vudu, the movie must show the Dolby Vision icon or HDR icon on the movie page and you must own/rent the UHD version. Also, you should try the Dolby app - if that doesn't work in DV, something's not right.

Quote:
I remember having this problem with my EG9100 and Denon X4000. I can't remember exactly what I did to change it but there was setting on the Denon--not just enabling CEC, but something else as well. I see if I can dig that up. Also, are you controlling your devices from the SIMPLINK feature as well (turning them on and off)? I had problems getting the audio through at first as well when I got my C7 last week. I can't recall exactly if turning off the feature to automatically control the devices fixed it, but I know I have that off now.
Whenever you enable CEC controls, you need to power off all of your components and then use the TV remote to turn the TV and, if all goes well, the other components on as they are turned on by the TV. Sometimes you need to do this a handful of times for it to work correctly or even unplug them. It's frustrating that it doesn't always work, but try that.

Quote:
One last question to @All, has anyone tried the UHD HDR-10 Disc mentioned in the previously linked YouTube video comparing Xbox One X vs 4k Blu-ray Player? Considering the defaults and recommended calibrations in the thread haven't quite gotten me where I want to be, I am looking for something that can help me calibrate in HDR (and maybe DV).
I bought the downloadable patterns, which you can load directly in the TV or through a player like the Oppo. They help even without calibration tools in terms of setting the black point and a few other things (see the PDFs on his site). Plus, with tools, you can calibrate the HDR settings. Worth $25 IMHO.

post #1128 of 3274 Old 11-28-2017, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackGuyver View Post
I am getting HDR and DV from both apps and Amazon as well. For Netflix, you'll need to have the 4 screens, 4K plan. If not, it won't work. For Vudu, the movie must show the Dolby Vision icon or HDR icon on the movie page and you must own/rent the UHD version. Also, you should try the Dolby app - if that doesn't work in DV, something's not right.
I am on the 4 screens + Ultra HD plan for Netflix, which is why I was surprised. When I made the change in my account, it said I wouldn't be billed until some time in December, so I asked support, and they said the plan is enabled immediately, but they don't start charging until the next billing cycle. I'll try again tonight when I get home. Very curious. That's a good point, I don't think I actually have any UHD movies in Vudu (really hoping they follow suit with Apple and automatically upgrade HDX titles owned to UHD). I'll also download the Dolby app and see what I get. Is that an app from LG marketplace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackGuyver View Post
I bought the downloadable patterns, which you can load directly in the TV or through a player like the Oppo. They help even without calibration tools in terms of setting the black point and a few other things (see the PDFs on his site). Plus, with tools, you can calibrate the HDR settings. Worth $25 IMHO.
Dare I ask--what type of tools would I need to calibrate HDR settings? Was hoping I could adjust without having to buy something else...

----------
LG OLED65C7P, LG EG9100, (Retired: Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK)
Denon X4000, B&W 7.1
DM 603 S3 (x2), LCR600 S3, DS3 (x2), 686 S2 (x2), Hsu VTF-3 MK5
Sony UBP-X800, Apple TV 4K, DTV 4K
post #1129 of 3274 Old 11-28-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I am on the 4 screens + Ultra HD plan for Netflix, which is why I was surprised. When I made the change in my account, it said I wouldn't be billed until some time in December, so I asked support, and they said the plan is enabled immediately, but they don't start charging until the next billing cycle. I'll try again tonight when I get home. Very curious. That's a good point, I don't think I actually have any UHD movies in Vudu (really hoping they follow suit with Apple and automatically upgrade HDX titles owned to UHD). I'll also download the Dolby app and see what I get. Is that an app from LG marketplace?

Dare I ask--what type of tools would I need to calibrate HDR settings? Was hoping I could adjust without having to buy something else...
The Netflix plan worked immediately for me and there's even a 4K row in the home screen of the app that appeared after I launched it. Stranger Things Season 2 and The Punisher are in DV, if you want to try those. The Dolby app is in the LG Marketplace and was installed by default on my TV IIRC. As for the calibration stuff, to do all of it and calibrate it to industry standards, you need CalMan ($399), a colorimeter ($100+ if you don't have one), and test patterns. Still waiting for an answer to my post earlier today regarding that stuff.

post #1130 of 3274 Old 11-28-2017, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

Great, thank you!
post #1131 of 3274 Old 11-28-2017, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have gotten DV from internal Netflix as well as Vudu apps. The TV pops up a DV logo on the right top corner when DV is engaged. I suppose with Netflix you have to make sure you are signed up for 4K subscription. When you highlight a show, say The Punisher for example, does it show DV logo and either 5.1 or Atmos for you on the show description?

Quote:
Have you (or anyone here) tried this on an AppleTV 4k by chance? I've tried numerous 18Gbps HDMI cables, and I get a nearly constant red flashing, even when not playing content on it.
I don't have an ATV4K.

Quote:
I am not using HDMI to turn devices on and off as I use a Harmony remote, I might try turning on all CEC features on both AVR and TV to see if it works. I couldn't get ARC to work on my previous Samsung KS8000 with the same AVR either so it may just be an AVR problem.
post #1132 of 3274 Old 11-28-2017, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
First off, thanks for putting this spreadsheet together!

Second, I'm wondering if my set is a bit different than others. I was very underwhelmed at first with the default settings. HDR/DV was way too dark. Standard wasn't too bad for SDR. Sports, Game, etc were really not good. I've tried some of the settings recommended here, and those definitely helped, but I still did a basic SDR calibration with the WOW disc afterward because it was still too dark.
I wonder if the new firmware has anything to do with this, perhaps introducing some changes that would require some tweaking in everyone's recommended settings.
post #1133 of 3274 Old 11-28-2017, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayraysaiz View Post
There is a setting “eye motion” or something close to that name in the picture mode settings. Turn that off and you should be able to access the white balance. I can’t remember it it is in expert or picture settings.

That actually worked... thank you very much.

After being initially concerned about some very slight banding, my monitor has smoothed out to about as perfect as can be expected. I've been running slide show between lite tv watching sessions on power saver...

The 5% slide is almost perfectly smooth
longbow and charlesrshell like this.

Astell&Kern Futura SE100-Klipsch x11i-Klipsch x20i-Focal Clear
Pioneer SC85-NOS Valves NBS Preamp-NOS Valves Magnequest VRD
Klipsch Cornwall-Heresy II Signature-SW115-La Scala II 70th
Wyred4Sound DAC 2v2se 10th Anniversary-OPPO UHP203
Samsung PN64D8000-LG C7/65"
post #1134 of 3274 Old 11-29-2017, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schubeedoobee View Post
That actually worked... thank you very much.

After being initially concerned about some very slight banding, my monitor has smoothed out to about as perfect as can be expected. I've been running slide show between lite tv watching sessions on power saver...

The 5% slide is almost perfectly smooth
What settings have you been using while running the slides?
charlesrshell likes this.
post #1135 of 3274 Old 11-29-2017, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 216 Post(s)
Quoted: 4992 Post(s)
Liked: 6091
I calibrated a LG 77W7 at Value Electronics yesterday and it was like a "hand built" set. Screen, light output, calibration, everything about the set "felt" like it got a lot of special attention compared to the rest of the line.
RichB and BobWalters like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F, LG CX
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LightSpace Pro, ISF Level III Certified
post #1136 of 3274 Old 11-29-2017, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
For all people worried about HDR Gaming on 2017 OLEDs, following my updated calibration both for TV and Xbox One/S/X (but also applicable for other Consoles and PC):

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...l#post54906032

And a sample picture with the results:

(No banding, No washed out colors and most important of all: it is NOT dim, especially in a dark room )
What setting to use inside the AC games for the HDR? In X1X
charlesrshell likes this.
post #1137 of 3274 Old 11-29-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValentinPbo View Post
What setting to use inside the AC games for the HDR? In X1X

HDR:

ValentinPbo likes this.
post #1138 of 3274 Old 11-29-2017, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
^Above: Calibration re-done/updated after latest official LG 4.70.07+ Firmware, both for SDR and HDR proper Gaming.

Enjoy
I have been using game mode since I got my TV, but I tried these settings last night and noticed some significant color banding while watching Logan in 4K HDR. I'm not talking about the vertical banding issue, I am talking about color banding on gradients.

The color banding completely went away when I took the PC label off of the HDMI input. It seems that flagging the HDMI input as PC causes the banding. The difference is night and day. I can post pics if needed, but I don't think it's necessary.

Any idea on why this is?
post #1139 of 3274 Old 11-29-2017, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
I calibrated a LG 77W7 at Value Electronics yesterday and it was like a "hand built" set. Screen, light output, calibration, everything about the set "felt" like it got a lot of special attention compared to the rest of the line.
As compared to the 77G7's? I know you have done many G7's (including mine) Was this the first W7 you worked on?

LG OLED 77G7P - Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 – OPPO UDP-203/103D - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A – Harmony ONE
Marantz SR7011 - Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 55 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #1140 of 3274 Old 11-29-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reasoner512 View Post
I have been using game mode since I got my TV, but I tried these settings last night and noticed some significant color banding while watching Logan in 4K HDR. I'm not talking about the vertical banding issue, I am talking about color banding on gradients.

The color banding completely went away when I took the PC label off of the HDMI input. It seems that flagging the HDMI input as PC causes the banding. The difference is night and day. I can post pics if needed, but I don't think it's necessary.

Any idea on why this is?
I changed/updated the calibration a couple of times since you probably applied those settings (yes, I also quit PC Mode in favour of any regular HDMI "non-PC" input label as "Game Console" )

Have a look again, and apply new settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...l#post54906032
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page