LG 2017 OLED Calibration Thread and Settings - Page 44 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3301Likes

post #1291 of 3167 Old 12-11-2017, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 50
While calibrating my TV I have found it has been hard keeping up with settings while trying to find the best picture in my 55C7P. So I have made a calibration spreadsheet to help keep up with the settings as I try something different. I have found that we like the HDR Effect-Strong picture mode the best. Got the picture looking pretty good. Can someone take a look at my settings and see if you think I should change something to help the picture pop even more? We 99% of the time just watch live TV and DVR recordings with DISH Network Hopper 3 / Joey system. I have not changed any numbers, just the functions that are on, off, auto, etc. Spreadsheet is attached. Thanks for any help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Settings HDR Mode.pdf (349.3 KB, 149 views)

DISH Network / Hopper 3 x2 / 4K Joey x2 / Wireless Joey x2
LG OLED 55C7P-U
LG UP970-N 4K Blu-ray Player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 3167 Old 12-11-2017, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenjohnston View Post
Thanks everyone for the comments and advice re black colours. I had the brightness at 50, then 65 so I'll lower it to 52 and check out the YouTube test page.

As for the pixelation around objects, ive only noticed this in planet earth 2 but it's also the best quality picture I have, so I was wondering if I'd need to update my HDMI cables? My current cables are 1.3 spec however I've read various pages that say as long as the cable can carry the bandwidth then it's fine. What would happen if he issue was the cable? Would it simply not do anything at all and give a black screen, or would it give this pixel macro blocking effect?

Edit - after reading the planet Earth 2 UHD reviews on forums it appears that it's most likely the original footage as some of it is filmed in 720p or 1080p, so I'm guessing it could be the product of BBC upscaling or altering the image to 4k

You should have 0 pixelation on the UHD discs of Planet Earth 2. Until I didn’t disable all the expert and advanced options in the picture mode I saw pixelation. My test scene is the desert episode when the lions are chasing the giraffe. The giraffe’s Mane on the rocky background towards the end of the chase should have 0 pixelation, and you should see the mane rippling back and forth with full detail on it and the rocky background.

I can’t remember which of 5 settings I’ve seen on these forums I ended up on, but once I set according to those recommendations I wasn’t happy given my experience with a JS8500 which I had before my 55B7A with 0 pixelation. Didn’t look nearly as good as this TV but still no pixelation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1293 of 3167 Old 12-11-2017, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Right now, my content is purely streaming, netflix, amazon prime, google play and comcast cable. I am planning to get the oppo in next few months. My dvd burner broke so i cant make a calibration disk right now for my standard 1080p bluray player.

Would viewing an all black background through the LG internet browser or loading slides or videos through usb and using the tvs built in player work or will those also be inaccurate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1294 of 3167 Old 12-11-2017, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNeat View Post
2/10 is a nice place to be for me. It just takes off the harshness.
I assume you're talking about Dejudder. After a bunch of back and forth this is what I arrived at also. I had to take it to 5 or 6 to eliminate judder in some scenes but that unnatural look started to creep in and bother me. Since this effect can be seen in any scene with any motion (ie. almost every scene) that's a problem, but I have found scenes that actually require dejuddering are comparatively rare and it's not worth ruining the whole thing just for those. As you say, 2 takes the edge off without it getting weird. There's no perfect setting but this is the best compromise I've found.
PeteNeat likes this.
post #1295 of 3167 Old 12-11-2017, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 96
^ Perhaps we share similar vision perception
It's the panning scenes on most content that requires no less than 2 dejudder. More than 2 becomes too soap opera.
Chad B and StinDaWg like this.

LGOLED55C7P - Calman Enthusiast - I1Display / I1Pro
post #1296 of 3167 Old 12-11-2017, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous21 View Post
Would viewing an all black background through the LG internet browser or loading slides or videos through usb and using the tvs built in player work or will those also be inaccurate?
Download the AVS USB material or ConnecTEDDDs stuff (which is very good).

/edited typo
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

LGOLED55C7P - Calman Enthusiast - I1Display / I1Pro

Last edited by PeteNeat; 12-12-2017 at 05:33 AM.
post #1297 of 3167 Old 12-12-2017, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I recently bought an oppo 203 player along with planet earth 2 UHD and an LG 65oledb7p tv. I've noticed a few instances where an animal moves and the edges look pixelly.

The specific scene I keep obsessing over is 9 mins into the mountains episode where an eagle flies across a mountain and around its wing is pixelly. I had put this down to the BBC footage possibly not being in 4K,however last night I turned the de judder off completely and the de blur on full and voila the pixelation stopped, only for the background behind the eagle to start juddering really badly. I experimented by turning the de judder to 1 or 2 but even then the pixels come back and the mountain still Huddersfield until I get to at least 5 on the de judder. So it seems that I either have to accept a juddering background or a pixelated edge sometimes.

If anyone else has encountered this same problem and has a way around it that satisfies both problems that would be amazing. I have heard of an edge enhancement feature on the lg OLED sets but I can't find this anywhere. My other idea was to turn the de judder off but switch the oppo output to 60hz.
post #1298 of 3167 Old 12-12-2017, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdini415 View Post
You should have 0 pixelation on the UHD discs of Planet Earth 2. Until I didn’t disable all the expert and advanced options in the picture mode I saw pixelation. My test scene is the desert episode when the lions are chasing the giraffe. The giraffe’s Mane on the rocky background towards the end of the chase should have 0 pixelation, and you should see the mane rippling back and forth with full detail on it and the rocky background.

I can’t remember which of 5 settings I’ve seen on these forums I ended up on, but once I set according to those recommendations I wasn’t happy given my experience with a JS8500 which I had before my 55B7A with 0 pixelation. Didn’t look nearly as good as this TV but still no pixelation.

That's amazing. If you have a list of your settings to share that would be much appreciated. It seems to be a de judder issue but when I try the de judder at 2 or even 3 I get distracted during slow pans for example in the jungles episode
post #1299 of 3167 Old 12-12-2017, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi guys, anyone could comment on my posted graphs?
Used a i1 display pro, HCFR and Teds patterns.
I have a LG OLED55B7V and went with 2.4 gamma on ISF dark.
Gamma target 2.35 (reason: to have it just slightly brighter then 2.4).

This has taken me several hours (should it be this time consuming??) and right now when I do smaller corrections, it just creates other smaller errors. How much could I improve this? Would you say I see a difference for more fine tuning?
Or could I proceed with tuning primary/secondary colours?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LGB7.ISFdark.10pt.PNG
Views:	135
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	2329400   Click image for larger version

Name:	LGB7.ISFdark.gamma.PNG
Views:	122
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	2329402   Click image for larger version

Name:	LGB7.ISFdark.RGBlevels.PNG
Views:	111
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	2329404  
post #1300 of 3167 Old 12-12-2017, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredo_Vic View Post

This has taken me several hours (should it be this time consuming??) and right now when I do smaller corrections, it just creates other smaller errors. How much could I improve this? Would you say I see a difference for more fine tuning?

Thanks

Delta errors below 3 are pretty much not recognizable by the naked eye

post #1301 of 3167 Old 12-12-2017, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked: 1350
Quote:

Thanks
Those look great, nice job. And yes it's very time consuming, even practiced professional take several hours. Once you get dE errors below 1 (if possible) you do not need to pursue further tweaks although some due just for fun. I would recommend with this display though to check the 5% Y target to make sure it's close and not too dark. That really brings out the best in the OLEDs in a dark room.
chunon likes this.
post #1302 of 3167 Old 12-12-2017, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 2
@zoyd - Thanks man, appreciate it. I’m still very new to all this, so had to be sure I’m on the right track. My wife is gonna throw me out if I’ll spend more nights calibrating, maybe time for a break soon

Yeah, I did 20pt WB also and noticed my 5% was a bit off, gonna fix that.

Is there any more guides written about CMS calibration on LGs OLEDs you can point me to? Or is that one on Curt Palme still good/valid?
post #1303 of 3167 Old 12-12-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNeat View Post
Download the AVS USB material or ConnecTEDDDs stuff (which is very good).

/edited typo
Where is the avs material for usb? Only found stuff to burn to a dvd.

Can i put Tedds stuff on a usb or will this introduce errors?

Is the built in lg browser considered accurate since i can set to isf dark to view static slides?

Thank you. You guys rock, wish one of you was in north Florida so I could hire you for a calibration.
post #1304 of 3167 Old 12-12-2017, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 230
I got off to a good start with Calman and my i1 Display OEM kit last night. I'm still waiting for the Integral, but did my SD calibrations and the HDR10 workflow as well. One thing confused, me though. Using the DVS test patterns, which are 4K HDR10 BT.2020, I did the full calibration through my Oppo. When I fired up Netflix via my Roku Premiere+ (to compare to DV through the TV), I noticed that it treated it as a different source. The Cinema setting was gone, replaced by Cinema (User) and some settings that were locked out during calibration (white balance or gamma, I think) were selectable. Yet the TV shows the signal as the same 4K HDR10 BT.2020.

Does anyone know why there seem to be multiple HDR10 modes/settings? I thought it was because of colorspace, but they both have the same one. Is it the Nits they're mastered in or something else?

Preamp/Amps: Anthem AVM60, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5, A-300
Speakers: (7.1.2): Klipsch Reference Premiere / Power Sound Audio S3000i sub
Video: LG OLED65B7A, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Premiere+, Nvidia Shield TV
Room: GIK Acoustics treatments
post #1305 of 3167 Old 12-12-2017, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked: 1350
Quote:
Is there any more guides written about CMS calibration on LGs OLEDs you can point me to? Or is that one on Curt Palme still good/valid?
The general approach to CMS adjustments is still valid from that guide but you might find display specific suggestions in this thread. Specifically there have been some issues with the LG controls (if you make large adjustments) reported. I have not been able to reproduce those issues on my display but I haven't spent too much time looking for them either. Calibrating in auto mode using either 100% level RGBYCM patterns or 75% amplitude/75% saturation yielded very good results with average color checker errors below 1 dE00.
L30Z3N likes this.
post #1306 of 3167 Old 12-12-2017, 10:04 AM
ewh

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been enjoying my Black Friday 65B7P very much for movies and streaming; sports, not so much. I've made the various adjustments to Trumotion/dejudder suggested here and just can't get to a view that I like (coming from an old Panasonic plasma TH model). Hoping the firmware updates keep coming to help out.
post #1307 of 3167 Old 12-12-2017, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
The general approach to CMS adjustments is still valid from that guide but you might find display specific suggestions in this thread. Specifically there have been some issues with the LG controls (if you make large adjustments) reported. I have not been able to reproduce those issues on my display but I haven't spent too much time looking for them either. Calibrating in auto mode using either 100% level RGBYCM patterns or 75% amplitude/75% saturation yielded very good results with average color checker errors below 1 dE00.
On my C7 the red luminance is visibly too high, and my i1D3 agrees. It requires a setting of about -5 to -7. That's the biggest adjustment I'd have to make of all the CMS settings, so it's certainly nothing major. However, I can see something looking off immediately when I dial the red luminance down. The title screen of Mario Kart 8 on the Switch depicts Mario's kart with the front bumper consisting of a magenta/red gradient. If I dial the red luminance down even a little (-1 or -2) a distinct line in the gradient appears. I haven't noticed it in other content yet, but if it appears there I imagine it will show up in other places as well. So I'm a little reluctant making any CMS adjustments.

The title screen looks like this:
https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img...uxe-796096.jpg

I wish there was an affordable 3D LUTbox available with 4k support and auto HDR bypass (not sure if that last bit even exists). Then again, what would I do without tinkering with the TV?
post #1308 of 3167 Old 12-12-2017, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3396 Post(s)
Liked: 4222
Quote:
Where is the avs material for usb? Only found stuff to burn to a dvd.

Can i put Tedds stuff on a usb or will this introduce errors?

Is the built in lg browser considered accurate since i can set to isf dark to view static slides?

Thank you. You guys rock, wish one of you was in north Florida so I could hire you for a calibration.
Hi, you can playback Media Files from your player USB, usually the USB Input of a player use the same video pipeline as the disk input. What player are you using? OPPO UDP-203 I have tested is bit-perfect with USB/Disk when the output colorspace is YCbCr.

You can download the AVSHD Media Files there: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...libration.html

Ted's disk offering much more measurement options, designed with bit-perfect/correct pattern order for CalMAN/ChromaPure/HCFR/LightSpace.

If you are using HCFR, then do this to fix an issue or levels mismatch of AVSHD disk: LG 2017 OLED Calibration Thread and Settings

If you are using CalMAN/ChromaPure then see this: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...ation-151.html

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #1309 of 3167 Old 12-12-2017, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToD_ View Post
So based on the discussion regarding HDR, it sounds like Dynamic Contrast is best left off if accuracy is desired? DC doesn't appear to do much for 1000 nit material, and for 4000 nit material it doesn't follow the BT.2390 curve well at all. What purpose does it serve for correctly mastered content?

According to some sources, DC in HDR modes has to set to Low

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Displays: LG 65C7V - Optoma HD20 - Panasonic 50PZ80 - Samsung 32C650 - LG M2380D
Speakers: Focal Aria 948- Focal Aria 906 - Focal CC900 - BK XLS200 MK2 - B&W CCM362
Electronics: Roksan K3 - Yamaha RX-A2070 - Oppo 203 - PS4 Pro
post #1310 of 3167 Old 12-12-2017, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard71 View Post
That source is LG, in their Calibration Notes for 2017 LG OLED TVs

Preamp/Amps: Anthem AVM60, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5, A-300
Speakers: (7.1.2): Klipsch Reference Premiere / Power Sound Audio S3000i sub
Video: LG OLED65B7A, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Premiere+, Nvidia Shield TV
Room: GIK Acoustics treatments
post #1311 of 3167 Old 12-12-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard71 View Post
Yes, LG would recommend that as well. My questions were related to a discussion about how closely the panels follow the BT.2390 curve with and without DC for 1000 and 4000 nits content. It was addressed by some of the regulars and pros here, but I appreciate your input as well.
post #1312 of 3167 Old 12-12-2017, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I want to do some minor CMS work (I totally avoided with the 2016 panels) but think it may be OK on the B7A.
I have read that the best way to see if you are introducing any artifacts is with a color gradient pattern.
I don't have any test disk with a multi color gradient pattern however.
Does anyone know where I can find this on just a .jpg (say 1080 x 1920) perhaps somewhere on AVS ?

Thanks
post #1313 of 3167 Old 12-13-2017, 05:28 AM

Attached is a couple of calibrating worksheets I made for OLED 55C7P-U. I don’t know what the calibrator folks use but these worksheets help me keep up with any changes. If there is a mistake or if you have any improvement recommendations, please let me know. If anyone would like a Microsoft Excel version send me a PM with your email address and I will send to you. This forum doesn’t allow Excel attachments.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Settings Expert Mode.pdf (355.7 KB, 184 views)
File Type: pdf Settings HDR Mode.pdf (352.0 KB, 119 views)

LG OLED 55C7P-U

Last edited by charlesrshell; 12-13-2017 at 05:58 AM.
post #1314 of 3167 Old 12-13-2017, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post
Delta errors below 3 are pretty much not recognizable by the naked eye
Hi, for Grayscale, 0.5-1.0dE is very good performance, for color above 1dE can be noticed, it has to do with the color you are measuring.

So it's better to keep as low as possible everything, becasue the dE are based to what the meter reports, so a consumer meter (or un-profiled) can say 0.1dE but if you profile it or use a hi-end spectro, it can say 2-3dE, this is why you don't have to aim for 3dE, and do more tight calibration.

Additionally, you can have a low dE to the exact point you are using as pattern to calibrate, once you move away from that point, errors are increased.

See there a quick test with pictures, to see if you can spot some low dE: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post54015489

About a good read about dE: https://www.lightillusion.com/delta-e.html

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #1315 of 3167 Old 12-13-2017, 06:55 AM

In the All Settings Picture section, what is Smart Picture Mode? It is grayed out in all the picture modes I switch too. How do you turn it on?

LG OLED 55C7P-U
post #1316 of 3167 Old 12-13-2017, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I wish there was an affordable 3D LUTbox available with 4k support and auto HDR bypass (not sure if that last bit even exists). Then again, what would I do without tinkering with the TV?
Hi,

For HDR, you can't calibrate any consumer TV with any 3D LUT Box for HDR, because you can't bypass internal TV tone/gamut mapping and the LG's can get about 400-500nits calibrated (without activating HDR) which is low for HDR effect.

Even if they added an option to OLED's for example to disable internal mapping, the OLED's are super-unstable for thousand colors measurements for 3D LUT HDR calibration.

Panasonic EZ1000 for example is having internal slot to upload 3D LUT for it's HDR mode, but it's unstable even if you try to generate a correction from a quickprofile of 150 measurements, the output can be +-200 nits to any OLED at HDR mode during 3D LUT profiling....also the panasonic is applyng the 3D LUT above to baked from factory PQ calibration, so it's not possible to do proper 3D LUT for HDR with that way.

Here you see the Drift Plot of a 10-Point Cube (1000 color points) of LG E6 without HDR mode activated, it took 17 minutes to be completed using Klein K-10A, the peak output of the LG was drifting +-15 nits, the graph is displaying +-3 nits range:

During the profiling LightSpace was taking 1 White measurement patch per 20 other color patches, for it's Drift Compensation algorithm, so this plot show how the White was changing during the measurements....this is a very unstable performance....At it's HDR mode is more unstable.

So the only way to perform 3D LUT with this displays is with SDR 3D LUT, which provides very accurate results in measurements and with real content playback.

Some post-verification 3D LUT measurements of LG 65E6 using LightSpace and eeColor 3D LUT Box (you can use CalMAN Enthousiast or DisplayCAL/ArgyllCMS with eeColor also) I have posted here: LG OLEDs - how to enhance near black detail

Even if it's available 1$ 2160p 3D LUT Box, it will not work for HDR 3D LUT, you will be limited for SDR 4K if you buy any 3D LUT Box with 2160p now (only Lumagen PRO is available as an option with HDCP 2.2, but it can't pass Dolby Vision, and this can't be fixed becasue internal processing can't be bypassed and work like a HDMI switcher which is not altering the video signal)

post #1317 of 3167 Old 12-13-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi,

For HDR, you can't calibrate any consumer TV with any 3D LUT Box for HDR, because you can't bypass internal TV tone/gamut mapping and the LG's can get about 400-500nits calibrated (without activating HDR) which is low for HDR effect.

Even if they added an option to OLED's for example to disable internal mapping, the OLED's are super-unstable for thousand colors measurements for 3D LUT HDR calibration.

Panasonic EZ1000 for example is having internal slot to upload 3D LUT for it's HDR mode, but it's unstable even if you try to generate a correction from a quickprofile of 150 measurements, the output can be +-200 nits to any OLED at HDR mode during 3D LUT profiling....also the panasonic is applyng the 3D LUT above to baked from factory PQ calibration, so it's not possible to do proper 3D LUT for HDR with that way.

Here you see the Drift Plot of a 10-Point Cube (1000 color points) of LG E6 without HDR mode activated, it took 17 minutes to be completed using Klein K-10A, the peak output of the LG was drifting +-15 nits, the graph is displaying +-3 nits range:

During the profiling LightSpace was taking 1 White measurement patch per 20 other color patches, for it's Drift Compensation algorithm, so this plot show how the White was changing during the measurements....this is a very unstable performance....At it's HDR mode is more unstable.

So the only way to perform 3D LUT with this displays is with SDR 3D LUT, which provides very accurate results in measurements and with real content playback.

Some post-verification 3D LUT measurements of LG 65E6 using LightSpace and eeColor 3D LUT Box (you can use CalMAN Enthousiast or DisplayCAL/ArgyllCMS with eeColor also) I have posted here: LG OLEDs - how to enhance near black detail

Even if it's available 1$ 2160p 3D LUT Box, it will not work for HDR 3D LUT, you will be limited for SDR 4K if you buy any 3D LUT Box with 2160p now (only Lumagen PRO is available as an option with HDCP 2.2, but it can't pass Dolby Vision, and this can't be fixed becasue internal processing can't be bypassed and work like a HDMI switcher which is not altering the video signal)
Thanks, Ted. I was aware of the complications of using a 3D LUT for HDR, which is why I mentioned "HDR bypass". I probably wasn't clear in my message. That said, I appreciate the level of detail you provided. I gained a better understanding what problems arise if a 3D LUT is used with HDR.

I would like what the Lumagen PRO does but with it passing HDR and DV untouched - and more affordable like the eeColor. I'd get the eeColor but its use is becoming limited with an increasing amount of sources outputting at greater than 1080p.
post #1318 of 3167 Old 12-13-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi, you can playback Media Files from your player USB, usually the USB Input of a player use the same video pipeline as the disk input. What player are you using? OPPO UDP-203 I have tested is bit-perfect with USB/Disk when the output colorspace is YCbCr.

You can download the AVSHD Media Files there: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...libration.html

Ted's disk offering much more measurement options, designed with bit-perfect/correct pattern order for CalMAN/ChromaPure/HCFR/LightSpace.

If you are using HCFR, then do this to fix an issue or levels mismatch of AVSHD disk: LG 2017 OLED Calibration Thread and Settings

If you are using CalMAN/ChromaPure then see this: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...ation-151.html
Ted, thank you. Right now, i only have an old bluray player, havent ordered the oppo 203 yet. Do you think viewing static slides through the lg internet browser would be ok? Can also plugin a usb to the tv with static slides as well.
post #1319 of 3167 Old 12-14-2017, 01:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ted, thank you. Right now, i only have an old bluray player, havent ordered the oppo 203 yet. Do you think viewing static slides through the lg internet browser would be ok? Can also plugin a usb to the tv with static slides as well.
Hi, TV's are handling JPG's/PNG's or any Picture files @ 0-255 Data Levels. (PC's are working in Data Levels also), so slides will not work if you want to calibrate for video levels (Blu-Ray).

This means that if you create a pattern with reference black RGB Triplet of 16.16.16 (Reference Black @ Video Levels) and save it as JPG.....when you will load it to your TV's USB, the TV will display it as 6.3% Gray, since reference black for Data levels is 0.0.0

You will need to load video patterns files encoded for video levels to your TV USB Input and when you get a stand-alone player load the patterns from there.

post #1320 of 3167 Old 12-14-2017, 03:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, Ted. I was aware of the complications of using a 3D LUT for HDR, which is why I mentioned "HDR bypass". I probably wasn't clear in my message. That said, I appreciate the level of detail you provided. I gained a better understanding what problems arise if a 3D LUT is used with HDR.

I would like what the Lumagen PRO does but with it passing HDR and DV untouched - and more affordable like the eeColor. I'd get the eeColor but its use is becoming limited with an increasing amount of sources outputting at greater than 1080p.
Hi, you can't pass Dolby Vision signal from Lumagen PRO, this will never be supported because there internal processing of the signal which can't be bypassed (you can't alter DV signal, it's not a simple signal, its 8bit RGB called data wrapper which internally it has a YCbCr 4:2:2 12bit HDR signal with dynamic per frame metadata).

A Movie gets a different mastering for 1080p SDR home release from HDR Home release. It's not all the times an HDR release of a movie better from the SDR, most of the times if you looking popular review sites, the SDR release has better ratings from HDR, it's not that HDR is such bad, the end results are very different when you will watch the same movie from 3-4 different consumer TV's.

The same movie will look so different using different displays because of differences in tone mapping, peak output and gamut coverage of displays used for mastering vs. the ones consumers can buy. So it's impossible to see what director wanted to show you for the HDR release of a movie, unless you watch the same movie some years later when the displays will have 1000/4000 nits and DCI-P3 100% coverage (but that time the mastering will have moved to larger gamut coverage from DCI-P3, so we always we will try to follow the mastering specs of mastering studios (which will always be higher from consumer models capabilities)

For SDR release, all post production studios are using a REC.709 (100% coverage) @ 100-120 nits calibrated with 3D LUT monitor and any modern consumer TV can cover 100% the REC.709 at these luminance levels with 3D LUT calibration also, so if you want to watch the movies as supposed to look, you have to invest in 3D LUT for SDR.

At these Luminance levels (100-120 nits) the OLED's are more stable, than higher nits even to SDR mode, see for example how much the drifting is reduced when you will reduce the Panasonic OLED Peak Output at the following example, when the peak output is high, is more unstable during the time of working, now imagine what is happening in HDR mode where the luminance levels are very higher.

This is the LightSpace's drift plot of White patch measured every 30 seconds (axis are +-3 nits), when Klein K-10A used for measurements of 17-Point Cube for SDR Mode with Peak output 255 nits, of Panasonic EZ1000 which is using LG 2017 panel but Panasonic is not driving the panel to it's limits (like the LG do):

This is the LightSpace's drift plot of White patch measured every 30 seconds (axis are +-3 nits), when Klein K-10A used for measurements of 17-Point Cube for SDR Mode with Peak output 132 nits:

This is the LightSpace's drift plot of White patch measured every 30 seconds (axis are +-3 nits), when Klein K-10A used for measurements of 17-Point Cube for SDR Mode with Peak output 109 nits:

Now look what is happening to HDR mode using 2% patterns (trying to not trigger ABL and load) this is the LightSpace's drift plot of White patch measured every 30 seconds (axis are +-3 nits), when Klein K-10A used for measurements of 17-Point Cube for HDR Mode with Peak output 796 nits:

As you can see the 3D LUT HDR calibration is impossible when the panel is so unstable.

Coming back to SDR 3D LUT, because the Gamma SDR movies are mastered, it varies from years-to-years, it's unknown what gamma each studio was used, currently most of the studios are using 2.4, before some years it was 2.35 (per EBU...now EBU has changed it to 2.4), older movies were 2.2. With 3D LUT you can have different calibrated gamma's to 3 different slots, to swap real-time to see how it's affecting you picture and select the one that you satisfied most...since we are don't know what gamma each studio is using for SDR.

The good news with HDR is that all are using the same transfer function to studios but it's existing a problem in home reproduction of PQ due to different approaches each display is using, different peaks/gamut coverage etc.. so you have more problems.

If you have UHD player and you need to have the same time 2 outputs without changing cables (one for DV/HDR10 and another one for 1080p), then you can add to your UHD player output the HD Fury Integral or Vertex which can work as 1 Input -> 2 Output Spliter.

The top output of HD Intergral is HDCP2.2, so from there you will use an HDMI cable to go to your TV for DV/HDR10 signaling, and to that input of your TV you will have adjust the settings for HDR calibration.

The bottom port of HD Intergral is HDCP 1.4 (SDR using HDCP 1.4 while HDR HDCP 2.2), there you can connect the SDR 3D LUT Box and then the TV...so to that input you will have the settings for 3D LUT. (native gamut colorspace and pre-calibration only of 100% White required for 3D LUT pre-calibration, not parametric adjustments)

You will configure your UHD player to have play at native resolution, so when you will load a BD Movie it will output 1080p24/50/60 (according to each title framing) and TV will do the upscale to 2160p.
T( )( )L, L30Z3N and M-V like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page