LG 2017 OLED Calibration Thread and Settings - Page 85 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3286Likes

post #2521 of 3130 Old 04-16-2018, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
Yes. Also make sure to click on the "Apply to All Inputs" button after you finish with the settings.
I have used your calibration settings for my month old B7a. Thank you for sharing them, I really like your recommendations. Much appreciated!

Jim
sonoftumble likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 3130 Old 04-16-2018, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked: 2084
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post
The colors look alot closer with the 76 setting. I am not one to move away from default much, but why is this? Is it introducing other problems having it that high?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

As long as you are not seeing visual artifacts I would say go with what gives the least amount of error.

Tyler

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #2523 of 3130 Old 04-16-2018, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
As long as you are not seeing visual artifacts I would say go with what gives the least amount of error.

Tyler
I haven't seen any, just seems off that it needs to go that high. Hopefully I am doing things right. Is that DV File that the TV reads just for target points? If I had never gotten that to load my settings would still have been good with the Relative 2.2 Calibration? Thanks for all of your insight!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2524 of 3130 Old 04-21-2018, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked: 895
After getting this set Calibrated it has been amazing! It was good before but great now. SDR wasn't too far off but was improved with a 2 pt and 20 pt. I didn't touch HDR as it was almost spot on....even the 2 pt pre-cal. DV made the biggest difference though! Especially with shadow detail and Color! My set had Color at 50 which is what I have always been used to but 76 was actually the closest to Target, I had everything undersaturated.....much improved! I will likely post some settings in a while for anyone that would like to try them. I have the 55 inch.

Kadajo and Rodney Nicotine like this.
post #2525 of 3130 Old 04-24-2018, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusSwe View Post
What is the current take on calibrating color on the 2017 models? I am referring to a much earlier post by Chad B from initial impressions: "I see a disconnect between measured color gamut and color checker skin tone patch results and how the 7 series looks with real content. With color gamut at auto, bumping color up and tint toward red helps skin tones look more natural. This is the opposite of the 6 series."

Has there been any update on this matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post
Still the same in my opinion. Color gamut auto, bump color up to the 53-56 range, tint to r3-r5.
Adjust the CMS conservatively. If you want to be sure you are not doing any harm with the CMS, adjust only tint/hue on the secondary colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

BTW, for those calibrating with a meter, the amount that color needs to be bumped is effected by your target gamma. If you target a low gamma closer to 2.2, bump up more (around 56), if you target a higher, darker gamma around 2.4 bump up less (53).

Have utilized these tweaks (discussed in October 2017 in this thread) on my C7 for SDR content using the Technicolor Expert PM. In conjunction with my other tweaks on this PM, I really like how Chad's suggestions nudged skin tones and other colors in the right direction. Looks really good. Thank you.

@Chad B - do you also recommend applying these same color adjustments and tint adjustments for HDR (I'm using Technicolor Expert) and DV (using Cinema) (with the acknowledged qualification that every screen is different)?

Thanks!!
d10brp likes this.

Last edited by Chris Hansen; 04-24-2018 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Clarify
post #2526 of 3130 Old 04-27-2018, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quick question to those that have calibrated Dolby Vision on 2017 models: for a non-calibrator like myself, what is the most accurate out-of-the-box mode? "Cinema Home" or "Cinema"?

I've been using Cinema Home since I purchased my C7 last year, but it can sometimes appear a little blown out, while Cinema looks a bit dim in comparison. I'm assuming this is because the former has a higher APL and the latter has a lower APL, but both seem to have the same overall peak brightness in highlights, etc.

So, which is more correct pre-calibration (barring natural inconsistencies and variances from unit to unit, of course)? And is the Dolby Vision Cinema preset's APL too low at default, even when compared to SDR equivalent material, or am I just imagining things?

LG 55C7 | LG SJ9 | LG UP970
post #2527 of 3130 Old 04-27-2018, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorimt View Post
Quick question to those that have calibrated Dolby Vision on 2017 models: for a non-calibrator like myself, what is the most accurate out-of-the-box mode? "Cinema Home" or "Cinema"?

I've been using Cinema Home since I purchased my C7 last year, but it can sometimes appear a little blown out, while Cinema looks a bit dim in comparison. I'm assuming this is because the former has a higher APL and the latter has a lower APL, but both seem to have the same overall peak brightness in highlights, etc.

So, which is more correct pre-calibration (barring natural inconsistencies and variances from unit to unit, of course)? And is the Dolby Vision Cinema preset's APL too low at default, even when compared to SDR equivalent material, or am I just imagining things?

Cinema is the most accurate one. It’s dimmer but shows more detail. Cinema Home is like the Vivid equivalent to Dolby Vision.

post #2528 of 3130 Old 04-27-2018, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

I've been messing around with the picture mode settings for 4K DV (and still messing around with them to get them how I want) and found so far that Cinema works well for Dolby Vision content. These are very likely not accurate to the bench mark standards that pro-calibrators would use (and I'll likely get flamed by the pros) but try using Cinema and then under the Cinema mode settings go to Expert Controls>White Balance>Color Temperature and change it to Warm1. I found that worked better. Probably not accurate but I like it. I read where someone else suggested changing the OLED light from 50 to 70 but others disagree with that adjustment. Try things and see what is pleasing to your eye. I think that's most important.
post #2529 of 3130 Old 04-27-2018, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Hi guys,

I just like to do the basics for calibration on my tv's such as brightness, contrast, picture mode like expert mode, turning off artificial settings etc.

I used Ted's calibration disc for that stuff but now i feel like my HDR settings for 4k blu rays could look better.

How do I adjust brightness for HDR on this tv? For sdr I used the flashing patterns on Ted's disc.

I prefer something I can download to my usb stick if that's possible?

Thank you!
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #2530 of 3130 Old 04-27-2018, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStorm View Post
Hi guys,

I just like to do the basics for calibration on my tv's such as brightness, contrast, picture mode like expert mode, turning off artificial settings etc.

I used Ted's calibration disc for that stuff but now i feel like my HDR settings for 4k blu rays could look better.

How do I adjust brightness for HDR on this tv? For sdr I used the flashing patterns on Ted's disc.

I prefer something I can download to my usb stick if that's possible?

Thank you!

R. Masciola has a hdr suite available on disc or mp4 download. Can’t remember cost though. But does contain basic patterns to adjust brightness/contrast

post #2531 of 3130 Old 04-27-2018, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post
R. Masciola has a hdr suite available on disc or mp4 download. Can’t remember cost though. But does contain basic patterns to adjust brightness/contrast

Thank you I will check it out!
post #2532 of 3130 Old 04-27-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatJohann View Post
Cinema is the most accurate one. It’s dimmer but shows more detail. Cinema Home is like the Vivid equivalent to Dolby Vision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
I've been messing around with the picture mode settings for 4K DV (and still messing around with them to get them how I want) and found so far that Cinema works well for Dolby Vision content.
Thanks both of you for the input. I'm also guessing the "Cinema" preset for Dolby Vision content is more accurate than home, but also wondering why they would make the APL so drastically different between the two in brighter scenes.

I was more specifically wondering which Dolby Vision preset is closer to the intended tonemapping of the dynamic metadata out-of-the-box (APL, color accuracy, highlight detail, etc), if such a thing can be (or has been) measured via calibration equipment.

Hopefully one of the regular calibrators here will spot my post and respond sometime. Just curious.

post #2533 of 3130 Old 04-28-2018, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks both of you for the input. I'm also guessing the "Cinema" preset for Dolby Vision content is more accurate than home, but also wondering why they would make the APL so drastically different between the two in brighter scenes.

I was more specifically wondering which Dolby Vision preset is closer to the intended tonemapping of the dynamic metadata out-of-the-box (APL, color accuracy, highlight detail, etc), if such a thing can be (or has been) measured via calibration equipment.

Hopefully one of the regular calibrators here will spot my post and respond sometime. Just curious.

DV cinema home Is Dolby’s response to people saying HDR is too dim. It’s essentially a bright room mode for DV.

post #2534 of 3130 Old 04-28-2018, 10:12 AM

@WiFi-Spy thanks for the confirmation.

Unfortunately, too many people get the impression that HDR is all about increased brightness near 100% of the time, when it really just allows for for a higher dynamic range (its namesake after all).

In fact, I kind of feel sorry for people that are used to their OLED Light/Backlight being maxed out or near maxed out in SDR content (I'm a 120 nit-ish person for SDR content myself), as in this case, proper HDR content can sometimes be (much) dimmer in the same scene due to the fact that it matches whatever the given scene is mastered for.

So when, say, SDR viewers are used to a static APL with a 250+ nits backlight setting in an SDR scene mastered for, say, 100 nits (which most cinematic content is), no wonder they think HDR is too dim when it brings the luminance for the scene down to that (proper) level.

Anyway, I'll now start using Cinema instead of Cinema Home for Dolby Vision content. The APL of the latter preset started making me suspicious recently upon watching Paddington 2 in Dolby Vision with Home; It has one of the highest HDR APL levels per scene I've seen, and thus almost every scene in that movie looked plain old blown out with that preset.
hockeythug likes this.

post #2535 of 3130 Old 04-30-2018, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quick question, Maybe ConnecTedd can answer this as well... in the IRE menu, there is 2 pts and 20 pts. Some of the calibration discs just mention 10 pts. Can i just skip the in-between % to use the 10 pt? Does this make sense to anyone? Or maybe i'm not finding the correct patterns for 20 pt on Ted's lightspace disc?

Thanks!

I should add that i'm using HCFR for calibration software so I'd have manually switch slides.

LGOLED65C7P | OPPO UPD-203 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Klipsch RP-280F X2 | Klipsch RP-450C | Klipsch RP-160M X2 | KEF Q100 X2 | HSU Research VTF-3 MK5
LGOLED65C8P
LGOLED55E7P
post #2536 of 3130 Old 04-30-2018, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivez View Post
Quick question, Maybe ConnecTedd can answer this as well... in the IRE menu, there is 2 pts and 20 pts. Some of the calibration discs just mention 10 pts. Can i just skip the in-between % to use the 10 pt? Does this make sense to anyone? Or maybe i'm not finding the correct patterns for 20 pt on Ted's lightspace disc?

Thanks!

I should add that i'm using HCFR for calibration software so I'd have manually switch slides.

You could use just the 10 pt and skip in between measurements. Should still give you a linear read. Only caveat is that with oleds many tweak the 5% to bring out more shadow detail. The avs. Rec709 calibration disc does have full 20pt slides though fyi

post #2537 of 3130 Old 04-30-2018, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post
You could use just the 10 pt and skip in between measurements. Should still give you a linear read. Only caveat is that with oleds many tweak the 5% to bring out more shadow detail. The avs. Rec709 calibration disc does have full 20pt slides though fyi

This will absolutely result in a sawtooth grayscale response. If you are going to use the 20 point you Can’t skip every other point.

If you don’t want to do all 20 points, then just do the two point adjustment.
Chad B likes this.

post #2538 of 3130 Old 04-30-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
This will absolutely result in a sawtooth grayscale response. If you are going to use the 20 point you Can’t skip every other point.

If you don’t want to do all 20 points, then just do the two point adjustment.
Thank you for the response! I'll have to find out where Ted's 20pt slides are on the disc.

LGOLED65C7P | OPPO UPD-203 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Klipsch RP-280F X2 | Klipsch RP-450C | Klipsch RP-160M X2 | KEF Q100 X2 | HSU Research VTF-3 MK5
LGOLED65C8P
LGOLED55E7P
post #2539 of 3130 Old 04-30-2018, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Folks:

Is there a noob guide for amateurs? I have no idea how to even access the menu, forget about the tools needed.

Speakers: Paradigm Prestige 85F (L/R), 45C (C), Surround + Rear Surround (P80-SM wired two way), Front Presence (P80-A).
Receiver: Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3070
Subwoofer: Yamaha YST-FSW100
TV: LG OLED65C7P
post #2540 of 3130 Old 05-02-2018, 06:22 AM

Alright, another question, and some info. So this was on my 65" C7. I had my TVs calibrated in March by a professional. So, now that I'm learning this stuff I wanted to take some measurements and see how it all works. I'm using HCFR and I1DP
I took the grey scale readings and they were really really good, like nearly a straight line. Using Gamma 2.2 instead of Bt1886. So, Kudos to the pro who did my TV. Then I measured the prim and sec colors and the Delta error was around 5 for red and green and around 2 and below for the other colors. So, all around I would say decent job.

So my real question is, what is adjusting luminance on the OLED? A lot of TVs just have Bias/gain settings coupled with tint/saturation sliders. Can someone tell me what these adjustments do? So for example, let's say i measure my PRIM colors and Red is De of 17, and i want to bring it down to De of below 3. What am I adjusting here? Also some info on adjusting white balance would be helpful to. I've added some pictures to help with what i'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c7oledcms.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	2398060   Click image for larger version

Name:	c7oledwb.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	2398062  

LGOLED65C8P
LGOLED55E7P
post #2541 of 3130 Old 05-02-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaFan View Post
Folks:

Is there a noob guide for amateurs? I have no idea how to even access the menu, forget about the tools needed.
are you asking about the tools to get into the oled screen or a guide to calibration?

LGOLED65C8P
LGOLED55E7P
post #2542 of 3130 Old 05-02-2018, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Alright, another question, and some info. So this was on my 65" C7. I had my TVs calibrated in March by a professional. So, now that I'm learning this stuff I wanted to take some measurements and see how it all works. I'm using HCFR and I1DP
I took the grey scale readings and they were really really good, like nearly a straight line. Using Gamma 2.2 instead of Bt1886. So, Kudos to the pro who did my TV. Then I measured the prim and sec colors and the Delta error was around 5 for red and green and around 2 and below for the other colors. So, all around I would say decent job.

So my real question is, what is adjusting luminance on the OLED? A lot of TVs just have Bias/gain settings coupled with tint/saturation sliders. Can someone tell me what these adjustments do? So for example, let's say i measure my PRIM colors and Red is De of 17, and i want to bring it down to De of below 3. What am I adjusting here? Also some info on adjusting white balance would be helpful to. I've added some pictures to help with what i'm talking about.
For a calibrated set dE 5 on primary colors is a lot. Should be less than 1.5.

LG OLED 55 B7v | LG SK10Y Soundbar | Samsung 55KS8000 | LG Plasma 50PZ550 | i1D3 OEM | Calman Enthusiast
post #2543 of 3130 Old 05-02-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRobotoPlus View Post
For a calibrated set dE 5 on primary colors is a lot. Should be less than 1.5.
Hm, I mean, I have the reports he sent me. I'll check those to see what they were, i can't remember exactly but i know he used a spectrometer as well. I don't have one of those maybe My I1DP isn't measuring correct?
Thanks for the info. I'll check and get back here.

LGOLED65C8P
LGOLED55E7P
post #2544 of 3130 Old 05-02-2018, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Hm, I mean, I have the reports he sent me. I'll check those to see what they were, i can't remember exactly but i know he used a spectrometer as well. I don't have one of those maybe My I1DP isn't measuring correct?
Thanks for the info. I'll check and get back here.
After the greyscale calibration, which you say it's very good, CMS must be already spot on with a max dE of 1.5 on red. Write down the settings, reset the CMS and try to measure again.

LG OLED 55 B7v | LG SK10Y Soundbar | Samsung 55KS8000 | LG Plasma 50PZ550 | i1D3 OEM | Calman Enthusiast
post #2545 of 3130 Old 05-02-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRobotoPlus View Post
After the greyscale calibration, which you say it's very good, CMS must be already spot on with a max dE of 1.5 on red. Write down the settings, reset the CMS and try to measure again.
Thanks, i'll do that tonight. The report he sent me show a dE of .8 for just about all of the colors. So either my colorimeter needs work or Maybe it's not positioned well on my TV. It's possible i need a tripod. Or maybe my HCRF settings are not correct? This is the stuff I need help with lol. When I load HCFR i don't have a color correction profile or anything like that, I just have Default settings and am using the WRGB OLED selection.

LGOLED65C8P
LGOLED55E7P
post #2546 of 3130 Old 05-02-2018, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
Quote:
Thanks, i'll do that tonight. The report he sent me show a dE of .8 for just about all of the colors. So either my colorimeter needs work or Maybe it's not positioned well on my TV. It's possible i need a tripod. Or maybe my HCRF settings are not correct? This is the stuff I need help with lol. When I load HCFR i don't have a color correction profile or anything like that, I just have Default settings and am using the WRGB OLED selection.
If that is the default X-Rite WRGB OLED profile, it's for computer monitors and incorrect for OLED TVs. It could be why you're getting such high dEs. Spectracal's Tyler Pruitt has recommended the LCD LED profile as these have a similar spectral distribution to LG's OLED TVs.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 05-02-2018 at 09:07 AM.
post #2547 of 3130 Old 05-02-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
If that is the default X-Rite WRGB OLED profile, it's for computer monitors and incorrect for OLED TVs. It could be why you're getting such high dEs. Spectracal's Tyler Pruitt has recommended the LCD LED profile as these have a similar spectral distribution to LG's OLED TVs.
I'm using TEDs disc though, i'm not using my laptop for pattern gen. This still the case?

LGOLED65C8P
LGOLED55E7P
post #2548 of 3130 Old 05-02-2018, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm using TEDs disc though, i'm not using my laptop for pattern gen. This still the case?
Nothing to do with the source of the patterns, but everything to do with how the meter is interpreting and reporting what it sees on the screen.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #2549 of 3130 Old 05-02-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
Nothing to do with the source of the patterns, but everything to do with how the meter is interpreting and reporting what it sees on the screen.
Ok, it's weird because the HCFR software has the selection and it's in parentheses, it says (LG B7 OLED 2017). I will check again tonight after work.

LGOLED65C8P
LGOLED55E7P
post #2550 of 3130 Old 05-02-2018, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok, it's weird because the HCFR software has the selection and it's in parentheses, it says (LG B7 OLED 2017). I will check again tonight after work.
OK. I thought you might be using the X-Rite OLED profile that comes with the meter, but on further reflection, I remember Zoyd posting something about HCFR having its own meter profiles.

I doubt that the pattern source would cause such a large change in dE all by itself, but as with all things, there are possibilities. Three measures go into calculating the dE for colors: hue, saturation, and luminance. If the pro's pattern source and your disc (actually, the player you're using with the disc) produce widely different luminances, or his meter and yours are reporting them that way, that could be the reason.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page