LG 2017 OLED Calibration Thread and Settings - Page 90 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3286Likes

post #2671 of 3129 Old 05-29-2018, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2921 Post(s)
Liked: 3569
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkenbrock View Post
Based on comments from TEDDD, that some of these sets are inconsistent with Black Level settings, I broke from advice to leave Brightness at 50 and Contrast at 85.

I'm using HCFR and an i1 on Nvidia 1080ti and 960ti cards. Using Near Black and Near White patterns, my meter measured no luminance at 2% until brightness reached 66-67; I believe the measurement is valid, because in a completely dark room there was no visible pattern at lower levels.

With Contrast I found the same NIT measurement for 99 and 100 until I turned Contrast down to 76.

The set is quite strong in terms of output. I've had a professional calibration (saved on different profiles and outputs) and the output was measured at something like 800 units, but it's my experience it's better to measure than assume pre-determined settings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
D-Nice has said something similar, as well, necessitating a Brightness setting in the low 60s, on a minority of samples.
Hi guys, E7 models usually are affected from that issue (less samples of B7 affected), home enthusiasts but also professional calibrators have reported that problem, see there: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...l#post55408618

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 3129 Old 05-29-2018, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
C7 CMS Challenges

I've read numerous comments here about difficulty with the CMS on LG OLEDs. In practice I've found it's difficult to get Primary and Secondary readings below 4.0 on a few colors.

The only way to get these readings below 2.0 is to lower the saturation by 20-25 points. However, I've been told that adjusting CMS settings dramatically can produce unwanted artifacts and besides, making these corrections raises the Colorchecker dE when measuring All Saturations; I can severely tweak the few deviant colors so that they're all below 2.0, but it has a negative impact on the overall results.

I wonder if others who have experienced this issue can share your tips for adjusting the CMS to achieve the best overall measurements.
post #2673 of 3129 Old 05-30-2018, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
LG C7V OLED, where to start?

Our current TV is a 4k without HDR, we've just been offered a bargain on the LG C7V OLED, it's an obvious upgrade from our Samsung. I've been reading through all the LG calibration theads, OLED calibration threads etc. and I'm pretty lost! I've just about come to grips with calibrating SDR with ChromaPure v3 and a retail i1 Display Pro. I've got a few questions and was hoping someone could spare a few minutes to answer one/some of them.

Is ChromaPure v3 and a retail i1 Display Pro suitable for calibrating an OLED?

I know ChromaPure v3 supports HDR, but am I right in thinking the built in pattern generator does not have HDR patterns? It seems R.Masciola’s HDR-10 UHD Test Patterns Suite is highly recommend, would the £25 version for USB drive be suitable?

As far as I'm aware HDR10 and Dolby Vision are different ways of tackling HDR. If HDR10 can be calibrated with the aforementioned, that's great, but how would I tackle Dolby Vision? I'm aware I'll need to calibrate different profiles, SDR, HDR10, HDR game etc, does Dolby Vision have its own profile? If so, how can I calibrate it?

There seems to be pages and pages of differing advice about things like not increasing brightness past 51 and I saw something about having to leave OLED light on 100 for HDR. Is there a page/site that has the currently accepted best practices for calibrating LG C7V OLED's?

I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to help me with this, I want to learn the finer points of calibration but it's such a Pandora's Box!
richardsim7 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2674 of 3129 Old 05-30-2018, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Just got this TV yesterday, was wondering if anyone has posted a pretty good set of settings. Don't have the extra cash to get a professional calibration yet. Couldn't find any specific settings from D-Nice.
post #2675 of 3129 Old 05-30-2018, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1956
This is a great starting point. Read the comments sections for each cell.

In general, use the Technicolor mode.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjii View Post
Our current TV is a 4k without HDR, we've just been offered a bargain on the LG C7V OLED, it's an obvious upgrade from our Samsung. I've been reading through all the LG calibration theads, OLED calibration threads etc. and I'm pretty lost! I've just about come to grips with calibrating SDR with ChromaPure v3 and a retail i1 Display Pro. I've got a few questions and was hoping someone could spare a few minutes to answer one/some of them.

Is ChromaPure v3 and a retail i1 Display Pro suitable for calibrating an OLED?

I know ChromaPure v3 supports HDR, but am I right in thinking the built in pattern generator does not have HDR patterns? It seems R.Masciola’s HDR-10 UHD Test Patterns Suite is highly recommend, would the £25 version for USB drive be suitable?

As far as I'm aware HDR10 and Dolby Vision are different ways of tackling HDR. If HDR10 can be calibrated with the aforementioned, that's great, but how would I tackle Dolby Vision? I'm aware I'll need to calibrate different profiles, SDR, HDR10, HDR game etc, does Dolby Vision have its own profile? If so, how can I calibrate it?

There seems to be pages and pages of differing advice about things like not increasing brightness past 51 and I saw something about having to leave OLED light on 100 for HDR. Is there a page/site that has the currently accepted best practices for calibrating LG C7V OLED's?

I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to help me with this, I want to learn the finer points of calibration but it's such a Pandora's Box!
Almost any set of gear will let you adjust color temp and gamma in SDR modes. The CMS is a little tricky. I deferred to a professional for that.

HDR10 does require content or patterns that trigger the TV into HDR10 mode, at a minimum. From what I saw (I deferred to a pro) there is room to address color temp, in HDR10 mode, but adjusting CMS and gamma is not recommended.

DV is similar except for two things: There is a special DV file that is created in Calman that must be uploaded to the TV. I'm not clear whether any other software can create that file. Also, gamma must be corrected for DV. The out of box Gamma is goosed up, especially in the low end.

Sorry I can't help more. I only did SOME of the SDR work myself, and then was happy to enlist a professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamisonia View Post
Just got this TV yesterday, was wondering if anyone has posted a pretty good set of settings. Don't have the extra cash to get a professional calibration yet. Couldn't find any specific settings from D-Nice.
Try the spreadsheet linked above. At a minimum, choose Technicolor mode and turn off all processing, and for SDR, move the OLED light below 50 for most modestly lit rooms.
post #2676 of 3129 Old 05-30-2018, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
This is a great starting point. Read the comments sections for each cell.

Try the spreadsheet linked above. At a minimum, choose Technicolor mode and turn off all processing, and for SDR, move the OLED light below 50 for most modestly lit rooms.
Thanks! Any recommendations for game mode? I know that game modes can never look as good as high pq modes, but just curious if there are any settings that get close. Or maybe just use the settings for one of the recommended modes?
post #2677 of 3129 Old 05-30-2018, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just use a calibrated SDR mode for games. I don't have any HDR games, and I don't care about a little lag. So I'm not the one to ask.
post #2678 of 3129 Old 05-30-2018, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 2692 Post(s)
Liked: 2451
Quote:
For general TV and movie watching with SDR, HDR-10, and DV content, take a look at the top link in my signature below. These are not gaming oriented settings

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #2679 of 3129 Old 05-30-2018, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 4286 Post(s)
Liked: 5238
Quote:
Best thing to do is Not to use the accurate Technicolor PM for SDR and HDR for out of the box general viewing and the default settings either Cinema Home or Cinema for DV and start pumping in someone else's or some review site's settings You are guaranteed 98% to think you see a better picture when in reality it will be worse and you will be back here looking for settings. I'm not sure about game mode but I believe the default will work fine as well if or until you get a calibration.

I had this very discussion with D-Nice yesterday and although you may be able to get some improvement by transfering 2pt white balance settings from set to set and even then it's a gamble, from our experience there is no way to transfer 20pt settings because the panel's vary too much.
chunon, ConnecTEDDD and Anger.miki like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #2680 of 3129 Old 05-30-2018, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
E7 Calibration Settings

Hi gang,

I haven't posted in some time, but I was recently curious to see how I could improve my current settings taken from around the net.

D-Nice & Chad B, I've been following you guys ever since I firsted started down this HD rabbit hole with a Sharp 64U, followed by the Samsung A750 & B750 sets. I eventually went plasma for the better picture with an LG PK950, but OLED has arrived for me.

Anyhow since October of last year, I've been enjoying the long coveted OLED tech. Was lucky enough to grab an amazing 65" E7 and I've been more than ecstatic with it, but now to the big questions. Where can I find your 2017 LG OLED settings on here? Or are there agreed upon settings that I could otherwise try?

Also, is it the consensus that unless we get professionally calibrated we should leave settings as is out of the box using the Technicolor's settings to get the best picture pre-calibration with warm1 over warm2 to avoid yellowish whites? Or do we just stick to the basics out of the box as is?

These LG OLEDs are more confusing for the layman than my previous sets, but I want to help it along to the best it can get before professional calibration. I don't even know how much pro calibration costs.

I appreciate any and all help. I love this community.

P.s. I hope this is clear.

Last edited by Johnny Neat; 05-30-2018 at 02:52 PM.
post #2681 of 3129 Old 05-30-2018, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ lol
Anger.miki likes this.

John
post #2682 of 3129 Old 05-30-2018, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I've read numerous comments here about difficulty with the CMS on LG OLEDs. In practice I've found it's difficult to get Primary and Secondary readings below 4.0 on a few colors.

The only way to get these readings below 2.0 is to lower the saturation by 20-25 points. However, I've been told that adjusting CMS settings dramatically can produce unwanted artifacts and besides, making these corrections raises the Colorchecker dE when measuring All Saturations; I can severely tweak the few deviant colors so that they're all below 2.0, but it has a negative impact on the overall results.

I wonder if others who have experienced this issue can share your tips for adjusting the CMS to achieve the best overall measurements.

I've come to the conclusion that CMS issues like this seem to be rather random and related to quirks in the set. I found that pushing the brighness beyond a certain point seems to force gamma down to 2.2, so variations in CMS are probably related to the levels of other settings. I ended up letting black clip at 2-3% and it seems less problems cropped up in other areas.
post #2683 of 3129 Old 05-31-2018, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Best thing to do is Not to use the accurate Technicolor PM for SDR and HDR for out of the box general viewing and the default settings either Cinema Home or Cinema for DV and start pumping in someone else's or some review site's settings You are guaranteed 98% to think you see a better picture when in reality it will be worse and you will be back here looking for settings.
Your wording left me a bit discombobulated, but I think everyone gets the gist of it. Your suggestions have evolved (in the past, you've suggested technicolor Expert for SDR and adjusting OLED Light and TruMotion to one's own liking, and Cinema for HDR and DV). Interesting that you now suggest Cinema Home as an option for DV, even though it's not as accurate as Cinema.

I suppose Cinema Home is for people who find Cinema at the default settings to be too dark, but what about just increasing OLED Light in Cinema? I know that messes with the tone mapping, but are the resulting inaccuracies that much worse than the inaccuracies of Cinema Home? I'm not sure if that's an incredibly naive question, but I just want to learn.
post #2684 of 3129 Old 05-31-2018, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^
Correct, for DV the most accurate setting is Cinema but it's a dark PM. Cinema Home although not as accurate is brighter and can be an alternative. As far as HDR, Cinema or Technicolor will work just fine. The point is if you are not calibrating, LG and Sony as well, have a couple of PMs that are pretty accurate out of the box. For the premium sets these days, there is really no reason to stress over settings and try to copy and or experiment with them. Those days are pretty much over. If you want the most accurate picture, you will eventually need to calibrate the set. Hope this helps

John
post #2685 of 3129 Old 05-31-2018, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've come to the conclusion that CMS issues like this seem to be rather random and related to quirks in the set. I found that pushing the brighness beyond a certain point seems to force gamma down to 2.2, so variations in CMS are probably related to the levels of other settings. I ended up letting black clip at 2-3% and it seems less problems cropped up in other areas.
The problem you are seeing is the luminance issues with OLEDs. I'm not sure why they have this problem, maybe its the WRGB technology? The 2018 LGs seem to be better in this regard but you are not going to be able to correct the CMS the way you are trying without getting artifacts. Best to get the saturation sweeps as best you can without making significant adjustments.

John
post #2686 of 3129 Old 05-31-2018, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just got my new LG65B7A and until a calibrator can get it calibrated for me, is there a suggested set of basic tv settings for this tv?
post #2687 of 3129 Old 05-31-2018, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yep mentioned a few times on this page including this from a few posts before yours.

Quote:
In general, use the Technicolor mode. And then these settings as exposing In he notes here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
post #2688 of 3129 Old 06-01-2018, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wow. Those settings are horrendous. They look like total torch mode. This tv is far beyond me...particularly when hdr activates. It’s so incredibly bright and torched. It looks absolutely terrible. I’m sure a calibration will fix all of that, but for now it looks terrible. I think I was spoiled with my expert calibrated Panny plasma.
post #2689 of 3129 Old 06-01-2018, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

How To Get an Accurate Picture Without Calibration on a 2017 LG OLED

Attached is how Technicolor mode looks, out of the box, with the OLED light turned to about 45, gamma set to 2.2, Brightness increased to 51 or 52, and color set to Auto.

All else at default.

Hdr10 in Technicolor mode measures similarly well.

Yes they can all be improved by an expert, but the only one that looks clearly off to human eyes without genuine instrument-based, expert calibration is the DV "gamma."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	455D74D6-E748-403E-9167-94DEC1081F0E.jpg
Views:	1296
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	2410636   Click image for larger version

Name:	52966C66-6D1D-4C80-AC07-0949930AC04C.jpg
Views:	895
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	2410638  
jrref likes this.

Last edited by nathan_h; 06-03-2018 at 08:28 AM.
post #2690 of 3129 Old 06-02-2018, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPSU View Post
Wow. Those settings are horrendous. They look like total torch mode. This tv is far beyond me...particularly when hdr activates. It’s so incredibly bright and torched. It looks absolutely terrible. I’m sure a calibration will fix all of that, but for now it looks terrible. I think I was spoiled with my expert calibrated Panny plasma.
You must be doing something wrong or have a completely weirdo panel because those settings aren't even close to looking like torch mode.

Edit: NVM. Looks like you solved your issue (receiver setting) as reported in the other thread.
richardsim7 likes this.
post #2691 of 3129 Old 06-02-2018, 02:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked: 1682
What the reasoning for using technicolour mode vs expert dark/bright room? I thought technicolour mode had undefeatable sharpening on it
post #2692 of 3129 Old 06-02-2018, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Is there a consensus on what window size/pattern should be used when calibrating SDR? I’m using Calman and can use the internal pattern generator or MadVR’s pattern generator.

Rec Room: JVC x790 w/120" Silver Ticket screen, Denon x4400H 5.1.4 with Kef Q100 L/R, Q200 centre, T101 surrounds, Ci160er rear atmos, Energy Rc-Mini - front atmos, SVS PC-2000. Family Room: LG 65B7P OLED, Denon s730H 5.1 - Kef Q500, Q200c, Energy v-mini - surrounds. Calibration Gear: X-Rite i1Display Pro, Calman Home Enthusiast, trial & error, and a patient wife.
post #2693 of 3129 Old 06-02-2018, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah I was wondering this, I'd have said 10% but then I realised a 10% 1080p window on a 2160p screen is 20%
post #2694 of 3129 Old 06-02-2018, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyVee View Post
Is there a consensus on what window size/pattern should be used when calibrating SDR? I’m using Calman and can use the internal pattern generator or MadVR’s pattern generator.
18% Window SDR, 10% Window HDR and DV

John
post #2695 of 3129 Old 06-02-2018, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsim7 View Post
Yeah I was wondering this, I'd have said 10% but then I realised a 10% 1080p window on a 2160p screen is 20%
It is 10% of the screen size: eg. a 55” 4K, pixels must be 1/2 of a 55” 2K to fit the same screen size, so the resulting 10% windows surely have the same size.

TVs: Pioneer PDP-LX5090H, LG OLED55C8PLA | SintoAmp: Pioneer VSX-921 | BD Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT260EG | External LUT box: Entertainment Experience eeColor | Softwares: Light Illusion Lightspace HTP, Portrait Displays CalMAN Home Enthusiast 2018 R3, HCFR, DisplayCAL | Probes: x-rite i1 Pro 2 - i1 Display Pro OEM B-02, basICColor DISCUS | Test Pattern Generator: DVDO AVLab TPG
post #2696 of 3129 Old 06-02-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
18% Window SDR, 10% Window HDR and DV
Thanks. I’ll give 18% a try. My 20-point greyscale seems to fluctuate even with the ABSL turned off and after running the TV and i1 Display pro for an hour. I’ve tried the 10% and 5% windows and constant APL 10 and 18 windows.

Rec Room: JVC x790 w/120" Silver Ticket screen, Denon x4400H 5.1.4 with Kef Q100 L/R, Q200 centre, T101 surrounds, Ci160er rear atmos, Energy Rc-Mini - front atmos, SVS PC-2000. Family Room: LG 65B7P OLED, Denon s730H 5.1 - Kef Q500, Q200c, Energy v-mini - surrounds. Calibration Gear: X-Rite i1Display Pro, Calman Home Enthusiast, trial & error, and a patient wife.
post #2697 of 3129 Old 06-02-2018, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyVee View Post
Thanks. I’ll give 18% a try. My 20-point greyscale seems to fluctuate even with the ABSL turned off and after running the TV and i1 Display pro for an hour. I’ve tried the 10% and 5% windows and constant APL 10 and 18 windows.
try to use frame insertion.
Rolls-Royce and JonnyVee like this.

LG OLED 55 B7v | LG SK10Y Soundbar | Samsung 55KS8000 | LG Plasma 50PZ550 | i1D3 OEM | Calman Enthusiast
post #2698 of 3129 Old 06-02-2018, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger.miki View Post
It is 10% of the screen size: eg. a 55” 4K, pixels must be 1/2 of a 55” 2K to fit the same screen size, so the resulting 10% windows surely have the same size.
Ah I suppose a pattern generator would take the screen size into account. I was thinking of the patterns off the AVSForum disc, as they're set 1080p
post #2699 of 3129 Old 06-02-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRobotoPlus View Post
try to use frame insertion.
How do you do that?

Edit ...... i found it.

What should be used for frequency, duration and level?

Last edited by JonnyVee; 06-02-2018 at 09:17 AM.
post #2700 of 3129 Old 06-02-2018, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 361
AVS BD is 1080p, so when you play it on your BDP your TV will upscale the signal to 4K. You’ll still have 10% window size.
Anyway, I would not use that test disc, I’d rather use Ted’s one for SDR.

TVs: Pioneer PDP-LX5090H, LG OLED55C8PLA | SintoAmp: Pioneer VSX-921 | BD Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT260EG | External LUT box: Entertainment Experience eeColor | Softwares: Light Illusion Lightspace HTP, Portrait Displays CalMAN Home Enthusiast 2018 R3, HCFR, DisplayCAL | Probes: x-rite i1 Pro 2 - i1 Display Pro OEM B-02, basICColor DISCUS | Test Pattern Generator: DVDO AVLab TPG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page