Calibrating the TCL 55p607 with HCFR - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CFC

post #1 of 17 Old 07-10-2017, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Calibrating the TCL 55p607 with HCFR

Hello!

I'm about to be the cautiously optimistic owner of a new TCL 55p607. After a suitable burn in period, I'm planning on calibrating it with HCFR 3.4.3, an i1 Display pro and a windows 10 laptop. It's been awhile since I've used HCFR, so I'd like to confirm that my plan makes sense.
A few questions:

1. Is any setup required now to get the i1 display pro to work with HCFR 3.4.3 on windows 10? Does the i1 display pro need to be calibrated or configured specifically within HCFR?
2. Is it generally preferable to send test patterns from the pattern generator within HCFR or some other device playing the AVS HD 709 patterns (such as my kodi box)?
3. The TCL uses the roku eps menu for calibration (described here https://support.roku.com/article/217...-your-roku-tv-). Given the controls exposed by that app, is there any specific control configuration in HCFR that will make calibration the easiest?
4. Any other foreseeable issues with this calibration set up that I should prepare for?

Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-10-2017, 10:25 AM
CFC
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzledyoungman View Post
Hello!

I'm about to be the cautiously optimistic owner of a new TCL 55p607. After a suitable burn in period, I'm planning on calibrating it with HCFR 3.4.3, an i1 Display pro and a windows 10 laptop. It's been awhile since I've used HCFR, so I'd like to confirm that my plan makes sense.

Thank you in advance!
I'm very much a novice at this, but here are some thoughts:
Quote:
1. Is any setup required now to get the i1 display pro to work with HCFR 3.4.3 on windows 10? Does the i1 display pro need to be calibrated or configured specifically within HCFR?
1 - The i1d3 is just plug and play with HCFR - I have a Colormunki Display and all I had to do was just plug and it was usable. You'll want to set the display type appropriately. I'm guessing it'll be "non-refresh" in your case (I have a plasma)
Quote:
2. Is it generally preferable to send test patterns from the pattern generator within HCFR or some other device playing the AVS HD 709 patterns (such as my kodi box)?
2 - The recommendation is to use the built-in generator. You'll need to make sure the full/limited are set up properly to choose between 0-255 or 16-235. You can also use a chromecast. There are steps to take if you're using the AVS disk with regards to the triplets used on the disk vs. what HCFR expects. There's a checkbox in the preferences if you are using AVS disk.
Quote:
3. The TCL uses the roku eps menu for calibration (described here https://support.roku.com/article/217...-your-roku-tv-). Given the controls exposed by that app, is there any specific control configuration in HCFR that will make calibration the easiest?
3 - You'll need to check whether you should tick the "Use HSV Levels" box for the color configuration, depending on how the controls are for the CMS. It looks like you have 11-pts calibration, so you'll need to decide if you change the measure parameters to 10-pts in HCFR, and not have a 5% box, or switch to 20 pts, where you will have the 5% available, but your set won't have controls for the 15,25,35,45... signals.
Maybe 11-pts is a parameter that can be added somehow in future version.
Quote:
4. Any other foreseeable issues with this calibration set up that I should prepare for?
4 - Have fun and be patient.

Good luck!
CFC

Signature goes here

Last edited by CFC; 07-10-2017 at 10:30 AM.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-10-2017, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome, thank you. Any particular target values I should aim for you the HSV readings? Or is that provided in the software?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 07-10-2017, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 4883 Post(s)
Liked: 1847
Quote:
You can use the HCFR built-in patterns for initial setup as it's most convenient. However, for the most accurate calibration, you should send the patterns from the save device as the one you use to play the movies.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 07-10-2017 at 12:11 PM.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-10-2017, 01:24 PM
CFC
Advanced Member

Quote:
Awesome, thank you. Any particular target values I should aim for you the HSV readings? Or is that provided in the software?
It's provided in the software - you aim for 100% on all (H = Hue, S = Saturation, V = Value).
You may not be able to get exactly there, so in that case you aim for the lowest dE.
On another note, I like to set up my gray scale dE calculation from the "Advanced" tab in preference to CIE2000 and "Absolute Y w/ gamma".
With a 10+ multi-point calibration, you can adjust for gamma as well.

CFC

Signature goes here
post #6 of 17 Old 07-10-2017, 01:26 PM
CFC
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
You can use the HCFR built-in patterns for initial setup as it's most convenient. However, for the most accurate calibration, you should send the patterns from the save device as the one you use to play the movies.
That's a good point.
In my case I calibrate with the built-in patterns, and ultimately check to see if there are any discrepancies with my BD player, and my HTPC.
I've been pretty lucky where I get more or less the same dE readings with them.

CFC

Signature goes here
post #7 of 17 Old 07-10-2017, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Noted. This is great advice. I'll confirm the patterns on different devices, and try the gamma calibration.

Has there been any new wisdom about breaking the display in? Last time I did this there were all sorts of theories about what colorful animation to loop for days.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-10-2017, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 4883 Post(s)
Liked: 1847
Quote:
Noted. This is great advice. I'll confirm the patterns on different devices, and try the gamma calibration.

Has there been any new wisdom about breaking the display in? Last time I did this there were all sorts of theories about what colorful animation to loop for days.
I don't think LED TVs need breaking in. In any case, since you're doing your own calibration (as opposed to hiring a professional to do it), it's easy enough to recheck the dE a few weeks later.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-12-2017, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Understood, thank you! One final question: what is currently the accepted correct backlight intensity for a modern HDR LED TV like this one? I usually calibrate monitors to 140 cd/m2 (~40 fL). Is that value still correct?
post #10 of 17 Old 07-12-2017, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC View Post
It's provided in the software - you aim for 100% on all (H = Hue, S = Saturation, V = Value).
You may not be able to get exactly there, so in that case you aim for the lowest dE.
On another note, I like to set up my gray scale dE calculation from the "Advanced" tab in preference to CIE2000 and "Absolute Y w/ gamma".
With a 10+ multi-point calibration, you can adjust for gamma as well.

CFC
OK, final final question: I realize I may not exactly understand how 11 point calibration allows you to set gamma, or rather what the difference is between that procedure and calibrating the gray scale with fewer adjustment points. In short, what's the procedure for calibrating gamma in addition to gray scale? Thank you!
post #11 of 17 Old 07-12-2017, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2688 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Spoiler!

*disclaimer, I'm pretty rookie at this.
If given the option (I think some older hdr sets automatically cranked backlight and didn't allow user control when hdr content was detected) I believe you're supposed to aim for at least double your standard comfortable backlight setting..so 80+ftL for HDR.
Alternatively, you might still crank the backlight because HDR has both a middle white target (brightness aimed for large bright scenes) and a higher specular highlight peak-white, and it's the middle white (gamma based?) which will have more effect on your comfort-level.

Quote:
In short, what's the procedure for calibrating gamma in addition to gray scale? Thank you!
Are you asking which controls to use for gamma VS white-balance, or if there's a specific order and method that the software likes to take?

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415

Last edited by Ftoast; 07-12-2017 at 09:22 PM.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-12-2017, 09:18 PM
CFC
Advanced Member

Quote:
OK, final final question: I realize I may not exactly understand how 11 point calibration allows you to set gamma, or rather what the difference is between that procedure and calibrating the gray scale with fewer adjustment points. In short, what's the procedure for calibrating gamma in addition to gray scale? Thank you!
With just 2-point adjustment, you're not able to finely adjust for target luminance (Y) at the different levels.
With 10+ point, you can increase or decrease R, G and B at each individual level, allowing you to shape for your target luminance.
See this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...libration.html

Hope that helps,
CFC
Ftoast likes this.

Signature goes here
post #13 of 17 Old 07-13-2017, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC View Post
With just 2-point adjustment, you're not able to finely adjust for target luminance (Y) at the different levels.
With 10+ point, you can increase or decrease R, G and B at each individual level, allowing you to shape for your target luminance.
See this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...libration.html

Hope that helps,
CFC
Thanks CFC, that helps. Looking forward to this. Sounds like I'll have the tools to do a very good calibration.
post #14 of 17 Old 11-14-2017, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 102
have you run into any issues when trying to calibrate HDR? When trying to calibrate HDR, the 11 point scale is the same as my HDR. Is this normal or just me?
post #15 of 17 Old 12-06-2017, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Thanks CFC, that helps. Looking forward to this. Sounds like I'll have the tools to do a very good calibration.
How did this go for you? I will be doing the exact same thing as you with same equipment. Will be my first time using both HCFR and the X-Rite Pro.
post #16 of 17 Old 12-16-2017, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Hello!

A few questions:

Thank you in advance!
Were you able to do the calibration? If so anything you can share? P607 owner here, always interested in trying some new settings.

Thanks
post #17 of 17 Old 12-20-2017, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Hello!

A few questions:

Thank you in advance!
Yes no maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page