Accuracy Test for the i1Pro 2 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #31 of 97 Old 11-07-2018, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thank you all for your answers.

I discovered a very strange behaviour. If I compare the readings using my GB-LED Dell U2713H, everything seems to be wrong (screenshots in my post above), repeated it several times, very strange.

I did some test readings on my LG OLED 65C8 and the difference between my EODIS3 (using LG OLED WRGB 2017 spectral data) and my i1pro2 is less than 0.3 dE. I am not sure whether I can use the spectral data of the 2017 OLEDs with the EODIS3 and my 65C8 but it is already very close.

I have read something that the 2017 and 2018 panels are very similar but not identical regarding the spectral data. But I could not find any LG OLED 2018 CCSS files.

I repeated the readings about 10 times, recalibrated my i1pro2 several times (incl. white reference calibration) and the results are stable and reproducable. That's very nice. It seems my i1pro2 is not so bad after all and I can use it to measure spectral correction data.

I have no idea why the GB-LED wide gamut monitor is so difficult to measure for my i1pro and i1pro2.

Warm regards,
bejoro

Last edited by bejoro; 11-07-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 97 Old 11-07-2018, 02:31 PM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2225 Post(s)
Liked: 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoro View Post
Thank you all for your answers.

I discovered a very strange behaviour. If I compare the readings using my GB-LED Dell U2713H, everything seems to be wrong (screenshots in my post above), repeated it several times, very strange.

I did some test readings on my LG OLED 65C8 and the difference between my EODIS3 (using LG OLED WRGB 2017 spectral data) and my i1pro2 is less than 0.3 dE. I am not sure whether I can use the spectral data of the 2017 OLEDs with the EODIS3 and my 65C8 but it is already very close.

I have read something that the 2017 and 2018 panels are very similar but not identical regarding the spectral data. But I could not find any LG OLED 2018 CCSS files.

I repeated the readings about 10 times, recalibrated my i1pro2 several times (incl. white reference calibration) and the results are stable and reproducable. That's very nice. It seems my i1pro2 is not so bad after all and I can use it to measure spectral correction data.

I have no idea why the GB-LED wide gamut monitor is so difficult to measure for my i1pro and i1pro2.
Out of interest, what does the i1pro look like compared on the OLED to the i1pro2?
post #33 of 97 Old 11-08-2018, 12:09 AM

Sorry, it was already late at night at my location.

I will check the i1pro and post the results after the next calibration session. I am also very interested in the results.

Warm regards,
bejoro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 97 Old 11-08-2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
The best you can do is to use the i1PRO2 (since it will use its built-in wavelength calibration technology to auto-correct during initialization) and then profile your i1Display PRO.
Thank you.

Would I achieve a higher accuracy if I created a CCSS file for my LG 65C8 with DisplayCal (native gamut, peak light output, i1pro2 argyll hires mode)?

Warm regards,
bejoro
post #35 of 97 Old 11-08-2018, 01:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked: 3546
Quote:
Thank you.

Would I achieve a higher accuracy if I created a CCSS file for my LG 65C8 with DisplayCal (native gamut, peak light output, i1pro2 argyll hires mode)?
Create meter correction table @ 100 nits peak white (with wide gamut).

Its unknown if high res. mode is better or not, unless you will direct compare it with a real higher res. spectro to see if it helps or not.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #36 of 97 Old 11-08-2018, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Create meter correction table @ 100 nits peak white (with wide gamut).

Its unknown if high res. mode is better or not, unless you will direct compare it with a real higher res. spectro to see if it helps or not.
With "meter correction table" you mean a correction matrix, created by measurment of RGBW @ 100 nits peak white with both instruments, the i1PRO2 and the EODIS3?

That's very easy to do with HCFR.

Warm regards,
bejoro
post #37 of 97 Old 11-08-2018, 01:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
With "meter correction table" you mean a correction matrix, created by measurment of RGBW @ 100 nits peak white with both instruments, the i1PRO2 and the EODIS3?

That's very easy to do with HCFR.
Yes, your White @ 100 nits.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #38 of 97 Old 11-08-2018, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Yes, your White @ 100 nits.
Thank you.

In DisplayCal forum I learned that it would be better to create a CCSS for my display and use it with the EODIS3 internal spectral data. For creating a CCSS with the i1PRO2 I should set the 65C8 to maximum light output because of the poor reading quality of the i1PRO2 at dark patches.

With a "meter correction table" (sensor training file in HCFR) I "force" the EODIS3 to meaure like the i1PRO2 reference, assuming my i1PRO2 is accurate enough?

Using a CCSS with my EODIS3 follows the assumption that the internal spectral data of the EODIS3 is accurate enough?

Creating a real accurate CCSS with the i1PRO2 could be difficult?
Or is a CCSS in my situation not necessary nor recommended?

Warm regards,
bejoro

Last edited by bejoro; 11-08-2018 at 01:54 AM.
post #39 of 97 Old 11-08-2018, 01:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For creating a CCSS with the i1PRO2 I should set the 65C8 to maximum light output because of the poor reading quality of the i1PRO2 at dark patches.

With a "meter correction table" (sensor training file in HCFR) I "force" the EODIS3 to meaure like the i1PRO2 reference, assuming my i1PRO2 is accurate enough?

Using a CCSS with my EODIS3 follows the assumption that the internal spectral data of the EODIS3 is accurate enough?

Creating a real accurate CCSS with the i1PRO2 could be difficult?
Or is a CCSS in my situation not necessary nor recommended?
OLEDs are become unstable at higher peak output, and from about 170 nits and higher they are starting the issues coming from WRGB structure, so its not recommend to create meter correction table at higher nits.

As explained very detailed to this post, the WRGB OLEDs due to the introduction of the 'white' sub-pixel, this distorts the standard RGB color channel relationship @ high luminance levels.

When you are using CCSS correction, you assume that the internal spectral data of X-Rite meter from the factory hasn't drifted, since the internal meter spectra with CCSS spectra are used to create a correction matrix. When you have both of the meters to your place, its better to create a normal meter correction matrix, which count what you colorimeter currently will measure.

post #40 of 97 Old 11-08-2018, 02:18 AM

Quote:
OLEDs are become unstable at higher peak output, and from about 170 nits and higher they are starting the issues coming from WRGB structure, so its not recommend to create meter correction table at higher nits.

As explained very detailed to this post, the WRGB OLEDs due to the introduction of the 'white' sub-pixel, this distorts the standard RGB color channel relationship @ high luminance levels.

When you are using CCSS correction, you assume that the internal spectral data of X-Rite meter from the factory hasn't drifted, since the internal meter spectra with CCSS spectra are used to create a correction matrix. When you have both of the meters to your place, its better to create a normal meter correction matrix, which count what you colorimeter currently will measure.
Thank you very much. I did not consider that the OLED panel at very high peak output, necessary for i1PRO2 measurements of dark patches, will falsify the results.

So, I will follow your recommendation and create a meter correction matrix at 100 nits. That's very easy.

Any thoughts about the strange behavior of the i1PROs with the GB-LED wide gamut monitor?
Could it be because of nasty spectral spikes which are very difficult to handle by the 10 nm i1PROs?

Warm regards,
bejoro
post #41 of 97 Old 11-08-2018, 02:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Any thoughts about the strange behavior of the i1PROs with the GB-LED wide gamut monitor?
Could it be because of nasty spectral spikes which are very difficult to handle by the 10 nm i1PROs?
Spectro's don't see display tech, if you believe that your monitor has some narrow spikes that i1PRO can't see, you have to use as reference a 5nm to find out. (but your Dell is not such exotic panel tech)

post #42 of 97 Old 11-08-2018, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Spectro's don't see display tech, if you believe that your monitor has some narrow spikes that i1PRO can't see, you have to use as reference a 5nm to find out. (but your Dell is not such exotic panel tech)
I know, that's why I have used an i1PRO/i1PRO2 for a long time. But I have lost a bit of my confidence. I was hoping for an explanation to regain my confidence again.

It is like it is. I do not have any other high-end instruments in reach and because of the almost identical readings of my brand-new EODIS3 and my i1PRO2 I assume that everything is accurate enough for my needs. I know, not very scientific but what can you do.

Warm regards,
bejoro
post #43 of 97 Old 11-08-2018, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
Out of interest, what does the i1pro look like compared on the OLED to the i1pro2?

As promised, one run with the i1pro2 and one run with the i1pro1 after a quick 2-point calibration of my 65C8.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-11-08_LGOLED65C8_i1PRO2_DISTANCE_30cm.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	510.0 KB
ID:	2479372   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-11-08_LGOLED65C8_i1PRO1_DISTANCE_30cm.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	534.9 KB
ID:	2479374  

Warm regards,
bejoro
post #44 of 97 Old 11-08-2018, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 4371 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Quote:
As promised, one run with the i1pro2 and one run with the i1pro1 after a quick 2-point calibration of my 65C8.
For the purpose of comparing two meters, the more relevant information is the delta-E between the readings. HCFR will display that if you select one set of measurements as "Reference".
Rolls-Royce likes this.
post #45 of 97 Old 11-08-2018, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
+-0.002 xy difference you have measured, it can be the same range of difference you will get when you will compare a Minolta vs. a PhotoResearch or JETI.

If you compare 2x Minolta, they can have +-0.001 xy agreement.

post #46 of 97 Old 11-08-2018, 10:13 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2225 Post(s)
Liked: 1377
Quote:
+-0.002 xy difference you have measured, it can be the same range of difference you will get when you will compare a Minolta vs. a PhotoResearch or JETI.

It is an interesting point though. If you take the worst case deviation - x +0.002, y -0.002 you get dE2000 of 11(!) for D65 white point. When you consider the lengths folk go to to gain 1 or 2 dE, it is quite eye-opening...
post #47 of 97 Old 11-08-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:

That's very interesting. After about another 30 minutes warm up time for the i1PRO and white ref. calibration the results were even better, a bit closer to the i1PRO2.

That would mean that both spectrophotometers are ok. and usable for home calibration. The EODIS3 and I1PRO2 are extremely close without the correction matrix on my 65C8. Ted's advice, as usual, was very good. The correction matrix worked very well and I could improve my calibration regarding lower IREs and Gamma. It is fun to work with the EODIS3, because of its speed and accuracy in lower IREs.

But it seems that my EODIS3 (Retail, B-02) is remarkably less sensitiv than other revisions (OEM?). With HCFR I get "real" readings starting with 0.008 nits. All readings below 0.008 had been cut by HCFR or the sensor to 0.000. But I think that is no real limitation.

Warm regards,
bejoro
post #48 of 97 Old 11-08-2018, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's very interesting. After about another 30 minutes warm up time for the i1PRO and white ref. calibration the results were even better, a bit closer to the i1PRO2.
Meters will require to be connected/powered from their USB plug for about 20-30 minutes before starting any measurement. The exact time depends from the temperature conditions. It can be longer if the device came from outside in winter time and will be shorter if stored at room temperature, for more details see: Pre-Calibration Display & Meter Setup for Accurate Meter Profiling Procedure

post #49 of 97 Old 11-08-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Meters will require to be connected/powered from their USB plug for about 20-30 minutes before starting any measurement. The exact time depends from the temperature conditions. It can be longer if the device came from outside in winter time and will be shorter if stored at room temperature, for more details see: Pre-Calibration Display & Meter Setup for Accurate Meter Profiling Procedure
Yes, thank you. I knew that. The i1PRO needs about 90 minutes to warm up completely and dark readings every 10 to 15 minutes. The i1PRO2, because of its vastly improved thermal compensation and aluminum casing is ready after about 20 minutes. A white ref. calibration should be initiated at least every 60 minutes to improve thermal compensation. That's my exoerience after many years using the I1PRO/2.

The EODIS3 seems to be very stable after 30 minutes warm up and keeps this stability for hours.

I took the posted test readings after 60 min warm up because I wanted to start with the calibration. After about 90 minutes the i1PRO was even closer to the i1PRO2.

Thank you again for your support, very helpful, great website.

Warm regards,
bejoro
post #50 of 97 Old 11-08-2018, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
In DisplayCal forum I learned that it would be better to create a CCSS for my display and use it with the EODIS3 internal spectral data.
A CCSS is useful if you want to distribute a correction for your type of display to others with an i1d3.
If you just want to correct for your i1d3 on your display, then a CCMX (matrix) correction will be more accurate, but won't be accurate for other peoples i1d3's.

Author of ArgyllCMS and ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
post #51 of 97 Old 11-08-2018, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Spectro's don't see display tech, if you believe that your monitor has some narrow spikes that i1PRO can't see, you have to use as reference a 5nm to find out.
Spectro's "see" all the narrow spikes - the light isn't ignored! The difference between a 10nm spectro and a 3nm spectro is the accuracy of the standard observer weighting, which is more critical for narrow spikes.
Soulnight likes this.

post #52 of 97 Old 11-08-2018, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
For the purpose of comparing two meters, the more relevant information is the delta-E between the readings. HCFR will display that if you select one set of measurements as "Reference".
And note that differences in absolute brightness (L*) are of much less significance than chromatic (a* b*) differences, as long as the proportionality of L* readings is still good.

post #53 of 97 Old 11-08-2018, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 4371 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgill View Post
And note that differences in absolute brightness (L*) are of much less significance than chromatic (a* b*) differences, as long as the proportionality of L* readings is still good.
I believe HCFR lists delta-L and delta-xy both, separately.
post #54 of 97 Old 11-08-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
A CCSS is useful if you want to distribute a correction for your type of display to others with an i1d3.
If you just want to correct for your i1d3 on your display, then a CCMX (matrix) correction will be more accurate, but won't be accurate for other peoples i1d3's.
Thank you for the confirmation. I planned to create a CCSS for my 65C8 as accurate as possible using my i1PRO2 and share it. But after the discussion here, I doubt that it would be very useful. A more precise instrument would be necessary (Jeti) to get a widely useable CCSS.

Is there a signifcant difference in accuracy between the i1PRO2 XRite driver and the Argyll driver?
What are the advantages of the Argyll driver?

Off topic: EODIS3 Retail B-02 (brand-new)
I have read that there should be EODIS3 delivering correct readings down to 0.003 nits. Mine, with HCFR, seems to stop at about 0.01 (0.008?).
I think it has no relevance in practice, or am I wrong?

Is there a difference in EODIS3 reading handling between DisplayCal/HCFR and closed software like Calman or LightSpace? Same driver (HID) but different handling I suppose. You wrote something about it, but I was not able to find it again.

Warm regards,
bejoro

Last edited by bejoro; 11-08-2018 at 10:46 PM.
post #55 of 97 Old 11-08-2018, 11:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But after the discussion here, I doubt that it would be very useful. A more precise instrument would be necessary (Jeti) to get a widely useable CCSS.
Why do you think that ? In Tom Huffman's view "The typical i1d3 would benefit from a i1Pro2 profile, though the details would depend on the display type.", and I agree, particularly when a display is not very similar to any preset calibration.
Quote:
Is there a signifcant difference in accuracy between the i1PRO2 XRite driver and the Argyll driver?
Not that I know of. See this.
Quote:
What are the advantages of the Argyll driver?
That it works on Linux and Android ?
That it offers high resolution mode ?
That it can be used without having to agree to X-Rite's SDK licensing conditions ?
Quote:
Is there a difference in EODIS3 reading handling between DisplayCal/HCFR and closed software like Calman or LightSpace?
Yes.
Quote:
Same driver (HID) but different handling I suppose.
No, different driver.

It has different ways of automatically adapting integration time, and may be more accurate when dealing with refresh mode. Refresh mode is supported in i1d3 Rev A.

post #56 of 97 Old 11-09-2018, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Why do you think that ? In Tom Huffman's view "The typical i1d3 would benefit from a i1Pro2 profile, though the details would depend on the display type.", and I agree, particularly when a display is not very similar to any preset calibration.
Sorry, no offense intended. I have used ArgyllCMS and HCFR for a very long time and I appreciate your work very much.

Following Ted's recommendation to use a sensor correction matrix with i1PRO2 as a reference (RGBW, native gamut, 100 nits) instead of a self created CCSS works very well.

What I have learned from Ted, creating a really accurate CCSS with an LG OLED and an i1PRO2 is obviously not a trivial task. Of course it would be great for the community to have a real accurate CCSS for 2018 LG OLEDs. But because of lack of experience and knowledge I might be the wrong guy to do that.

Quote:
No, different driver.

It has different ways of automatically adapting integration time, and may be more accurate when dealing with refresh mode. Refresh mode is supported in i1d3 Rev A.
From your website: "You therefore don't need to install an Argyll usb system driver for these instruments, although it is possible to select the libusb0.sys driver as an alternative to the default HID driver."

Should I better use your Argyll driver with HCFR and DisplayCal instead of the default HID driver?

I have learned that the lower sensitivity of my EODIS3 might be because of the AIO mode which was introduced with the Rev.B models. Can and how do I use different modes in HCFR to improve sensitivity or should I stay with the default mode?

Does the difference in sensitivity (0.01 to 0.003 nits) have any practical relevance?

Please let me know whether to move this discussion to another thread.

Warm regards,
bejoro
post #57 of 97 Old 11-09-2018, 02:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I have an older i1pro1 Rev.D (calibrated 2010), a 4 years old i1pro2 Rev.E and a brand new i1 display pro (EODIS3, Retail, Rev. B-02).

I have tested the three instruments on a DELL U2713H GB-LED, wide gamut monitor, using HCFR.

I have used the correct RG_Phosphor spectral data for the EODIS3. The DELL U2713H was hardware calibrated using i1profiler (Dell software DUCS 1.6.5) and the new EODIS3.

All three instruments show very different readings.

What could be the reasons for these differences?

My intention was to use my i1pro2 as a reference for creating spectral data or sensor correction matrix for the EODIS3.
RG_Phosphor stores several WRGB spectral samples. The last one of those spectral samples in a GB-LED (actually a Dell U2413). A well behaved i1d3 should not vary too much if you use a "cleaned" version with just GB-LED or Xrite's RG_Phosphor with the other "rg" spectral samples (with all averaging that ArgyllCMS related software -and Xrite's tools- does when using multi-sample CCSS).

What you did in your 3 screenshots is to compare that generic correction with 10nm measurements taken witha i1Pro/i1Pro2.
This is quite different from what you seem to want to do.

If you want to compare a CCSS corrected i1d3 to your i1Pro2 the make a U2713H CCSS by yourself. Make that CCSS from a native gamut configuration: Standard, Custom Color OSD modes or DUCCS 1.6.5 native gamut calibration in CAL1/CAL2).
Then you'll se if there is such difference between measurement devices "if you trust i1d3 spectral sensivity data stored in firmware".

-Maybe your U2713H has a blue spike moved a bit towards violet than last sample (U2413 GB-LED) stored in RG_phosphor, so you need a custom CCSS for some GB-LED variation like the one in PA242W models (and you can contribute to community uploading it).
-Maybe your i1d3 measures closer to i1Pro2 if you used a "clean" RG_phpshor using just the last sample (last 4 spectral rows) which is an actual GB-LED instead of using "averaged" correction with all spectral samples contained in RG_phosphor file.
-Maybe 10nm readings from an i1Pro with all the noise and averaging from its internal 3nm resolution causes some kind of measurement error in Z coordinate (because of fast rising/falling z-bar in observer). Comparing your i1Pro2 readings to a JETI for example would shed light in that issue. Some users (Maciej Koper) did it for a PA242W and i1Pro2 missreadings seem to be close to what you measure, his i1Pro2 measure a little "yellow" white point from actual whitepoint. I cannot put links right now, it you cannot find Maciej Koper comparision of measurement devices with a PA242W GB-LED I'll try to post it later.

So IMHO you did the wrong test. Try to do it as I suggest:

-use a clean RG_phoshphor with just last 4 spectral data rows (you need to change number of rows and row index at the beginning of each line). That means use an actual GB-LED CCSS

-use a CCSS made by you with your i1Pro2 and your U2713H. Compare to i1Pro2 readings. Plot it (specplot tool in ArgyllCMS or an spreadsheet).

Compare that plot to a plot of the "clean GB-LED" from last 4 samples in RG_phosphor. Look for blue spike position.
Does that blue spike position varies if you build a 10nm CCSS compared to a 3nm CCSS with high res mode from ArgyllCMS driver?

I think that this task is easy and may solve all or at least a lot of your questions.
post #58 of 97 Old 11-09-2018, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicent View Post
So IMHO you did the wrong test. Try to do it as I suggest:

-use a clean RG_phoshphor with just last 4 spectral data rows (you need to change number of rows and row index at the beginning of each line). That means use an actual GB-LED CCSS

-use a CCSS made by you with your i1Pro2 and your U2713H. Compare to i1Pro2 readings. Plot it (specplot tool in ArgyllCMS or an spreadsheet).

Compare that plot to a plot of the "clean GB-LED" from last 4 samples in RG_phosphor. Look for blue spike position.
Does that blue spike position varies if you build a 10nm CCSS compared to a 3nm CCSS with high res mode from ArgyllCMS driver?

I think that this task is easy and may solve all or at least a lot of your questions.
Hello Vincent,

A warm welcome to the AVSFORUM.

I have read a lot of your detailed and infornative explanations on DisplayCal forum.

Thanks for your detailed answer. I have tried a sensor correction matrix after native HW calibration with DUCCS 1.6.5 (had to install Windows 7 because of missing Win10 driver for U2713H). Correction matrix using i1PRO2 as reference for the EODIS3. With the correction matrix activated, then the results of i1PRO2 and EODIS3 had been almost identical but "wrong".

I tried a clean RG_Phosphor CCSS and no change. (last 4 Lines of 20).

I stopped the comparison with the U2713H as test display and changed to my LG OLED 65C8. Everything was right again.

But I will see to find the time to investigate the strange readings with the U2713H like you suggested.

Warm regards,
bejoro
post #59 of 97 Old 11-09-2018, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What I have learned from Ted, creating a really accurate CCSS with an LG OLED and an i1PRO2 is obviously not a trivial task
I don't know why you would think that - it's actually easier than creating a matrix, because you only have to take one set of measurements.
Quote:
From your website: "You therefore don't need to install an Argyll usb system driver for these instruments, although it is possible to select the libusb0.sys driver as an alternative to the default HID driver."
A system port driver is not an instrument driver !

The system driver is only needed on MSWindows to get access to the USB port. A USB device marked as HID can use the built in MSWindows HID system driver, hence it doesn't need a custom one.
Recent versions of MSWindows also include a generic USB system driver, but it won't work with a few of the instruments, due to some bugs in the instrument USB implementation, hence ArgyllCMS using a different system driver (a Libusb-win32).

The instrument driver code itself is all user mode code and part of ArgyllCMS, not system driver code.
Quote:
Should I better use your Argyll driver with HCFR and DisplayCal instead of the default HID driver?
No, it unnecessarily prevents other software from using the instruments.
Quote:
I have learned that the lower sensitivity of my EODIS3 might be because of the AIO mode which was introduced with the Rev.B models. Can and how do I use different modes in HCFR to improve sensitivity or should I stay with the default mode?
The ArgyllCMS driver doesn't use AIO mode. Maybe more recent i1d3's are using lower sensitivity sensors to allow them to work up to 2000 cd/m^2 ? (Speculation - I don't have a way of testing this.)

post #60 of 97 Old 11-09-2018, 10:21 PM

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. Now I understand, that's nice.
There are different driver layers.

Quote:
I don't know why you would think that - it's actually easier than creating a matrix, because you only have to take one set of measurements.
Before my purchase of the EODIS3 I never worried about EDR, CCSS, matrix correction with my spectrophotometers, because it was not necessary. I was told that creating an accurate CCSS needs the reading of a large number of patches, like creating a profile. With an OLED and i1PRO2 that seems to be very difficult (reading accuracy in lower IREs, OLED behaviour at peak light output etc.).

This seemed to be confirmed by looking into CCSS files, I found 37, 110, 432 fields.

After your posts I did some reading and a CCSS is also "only" a measurement of RGBW each at 100 IRE (at 100 nits white with my OLED, wide gamut).
Am I right?

Oh, wait... now I had a little epiphany! The number of fields result from the resolution of the instrument/measurement?
That makes sense (37 = 10 nm, 110 = 3.3 nm, 432 = 1 nm)? Oh, I have a lot to learn if I want to understand color management better.

If I create a CCSS for my LG OLED (or my Dell U2713H) is it possible to check the accuracy of it before sharing?

Quote:
The ArgyllCMS driver doesn't use AIO mode. Maybe more recent i1d3's are using lower sensitivity sensors to allow them to work up to 2000 cd/m^2 ? (Speculation - I don't have a way of testing this.)
Yes, that's what I have read too, but also only speculation.

I just wanted to know if my EODIS3 is possibly broken or if this limitation to 0.01 nits had any practical relevance (cd/m^2, nits is easier to write on a tablet keyboard).

Warm regards,
bejoro

Last edited by bejoro; 11-09-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page