Advice on troubleshooting test pattern inconsistencies?
I'm calibrating my TCL 55P605 with HCFR 3.4.2 and an i1 Display Pro. I ran a set of preliminary measurements (10 point greyscale sweep) using the internal madTPG test pattern generator and then re-ran the measurements using the AVS HD 709 patterns streaming from a Kodi box. Sadly, the two gave significantly different results. Note that I've confirmed that the TCL display settings are identical for both inputs, and all the various local dimming, etc settings have been disable.
I'm trying to determine why before proceeding with my calibration. Unfortunately there's so much that can go wrong that I'm having a bit of trouble deciding where to begin my troubleshooting. A quick summary of the equipment involved:
- Display: TCL 55P605
- HCFR 3.4.2 with i1 Display Pro
- Laptop: Lenovo ideapad Flex 4, Windows 10 Home, Intel Graphics 520
- Denon AVR-X3300W receiver
- Chromebox running Kodi/Libreelec 8.0.2
Questions and things I'm going to try:
- Adjusting settings on the Intel Graphics 520 adapter. Apparently madTPG bypasses the display profile and LUT, but what other settings should I look at? Right now the laptop is configured to send 16-235 levels and YCbCr.
- Adjusting settings on Kodi. Any suggestions as to what?
- Using a different set of test patterns from the Kodi box. Any alternatives to AVS HD 709 that are recommended?
- Trying a different source for the test patterns. I've heard that HCFR can send test patterns via a chromecast (which I have) - any advice on using that, or guides on getting that working?
- Any settings in HCFR that are relevant to this issue that I might examine?
I realize this is a huge core dump, but any thoughts would be appreciated! I've been pouring over the forums and various guides for the last 24 hours and I'm at a bit of a loss.