Calibrating HDR on Epson 5040/6040 projectors - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 130Likes

post #331 of 1123 Old 01-11-2018, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked: 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperlogic View Post
Was there confirmation of this? HCFR 3.4.6.5 is the latest now. About to do a run and not sure to do CMS before or after gamma
Should be ok to do it this way, 3.4.6.5 also fixes a small error in the Color Checker targets when in tone map mode with a shifted diffuse white. The program also now sets the correct clipping point in this situation.

Last edited by zoyd; 01-11-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 1123 Old 01-11-2018, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
Should be ok to do it this way, 3.4.6.5 also fixes a small error in the Color Checker targets when in tone map mode with a shifted diffuse white. The program also now sets the correct clipping point in this situation.
Thanks, Zoyd.

Do you think the results might be better if color luminance were set based on measured diffuse white? I am not always able to hit the diffuse target when I set gamma. I did one run and the colors came out visibly off. I need to try it again to see if I get the same result. But I'm wondering what your opinion is. I know that hitting the absolute target is technically more accurate, but not sure what will work best in practical application.
post #333 of 1123 Old 01-11-2018, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhn View Post
Thanks, Zoyd.

Do you think the results might be better if color luminance were set based on measured diffuse white? I am not always able to hit the diffuse target when I set gamma. I did one run and the colors came out visibly off. I need to try it again to see if I get the same result. But I'm wondering what your opinion is. I know that hitting the absolute target is technically more accurate, but not sure what will work best in practical application.
Set your diffuse white to the measured value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 1123 Old 01-11-2018, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Set your diffuse white to the measured value.
Okay, yeah, I did do that. Just making sure there wasn't an issue doing so. This makes my gamma curve a little off. But I can set the gamma first, then change the diffuse white and do the CMS.

Maybe eventually a switch could be added to set targets based on measured white?
post #335 of 1123 Old 01-11-2018, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #336 of 1123 Old 01-11-2018, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, that's planned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great. Thanks so much for all you do for us!

I think people in this thread (including me) are still trying to figure out the best way to do HDR calibration on our projectors, with all the limitations understood. Let me ask the question this way - if you had a projector that could get 100-150 nits, how would you approach the calibration? Any guidance would be much appreciated.
post #337 of 1123 Old 01-12-2018, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great. Thanks so much for all you do for us!

I think people in this thread (including me) are still trying to figure out the best way to do HDR calibration on our projectors, with all the limitations understood. Let me ask the question this way - if you had a projector that could get 100-150 nits, how would you approach the calibration? Any guidance would be much appreciated.
I don't think I'd approach it any differently than what you guys have been discussing. The problem appears to be to find a diffuse white point that:

A. Is comfortable to watch without eyestrain.
B. Is compatible across the full range of average scene luminance for typical HDR material. (i.e. dark scenes are not crushed at the expense of reducing eyestrain)

And it's not even clear that HDR "average scene luminance" is even mastered like SDR material for comparison.

See here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Here are some pictures comparing UHD Blu-Ray HDR (Custom 2: 20 nits diffuse white, 100 nits peak, 1000 nits master) with the corresponding SDR Blu-Ray. At least for this movie, even 20 nits is too bright relative to SDR.

Note that the camera was in manual exposure mode so the difference in picture brightness reflects the projector output.
HDR material is "scene referenced" in the sense that it is supposed to more closely represent the true dynamic range of real-life images where the viewer's eyes are not dark adapted like they are in a theater environment. It would probably help if the screen fills the viewer's range of vision as much as possible. I would also try sticking with a master MaxL value of 4000 nits for everything. This will sacrifice some highlights on some titles but overall it's probably better as I suspect the range just above diffuse white (50-60%) stimulus might be overemphasized especially for daylight scenes.

Last edited by zoyd; 01-12-2018 at 06:38 AM.
post #338 of 1123 Old 01-12-2018, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked: 1680
Quote:
I would also try sticking with a master MaxL value of 4000 nits for everything. This will sacrifice some highlights on some titles but overall it's probably better as I suspect the range just above diffuse white (50-60%) stimulus might be overemphasized especially for daylight scenes.
v3.4.6.5 tone mapping shifts the above diffuse white levels even higher than before, so indeed I plan to recalibrate my custom curves for 4000 nits master. I'm assuming this only happens with a reduced diffuse white; i.e., with 94.4 nits diffuse white, v3.4.6.5 would give the same tone-mapping curve as v3.4.6.4.

BTW, on my laptop HCFR takes a long time to start and to close the Preferences window (>30 seconds). Everything else seems to be running OK. Can you of any possible causes? Thanks.
post #339 of 1123 Old 01-12-2018, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
v3.4.6.5 tone mapping shifts the above diffuse white levels even higher than before, so indeed I plan to recalibrate my custom curves for 4000 nits master. I'm assuming this only happens with a reduced diffuse white; i.e., with 94.4 nits diffuse white, v3.4.6.5 would give the same tone-mapping curve as v3.4.6.4.
yes, this was done to regain the "lost lumens" when using a reduced white+tone mapping.

Quote:
BTW, on my laptop HCFR takes a long time to start and to close the Preferences window (>30 seconds). Everything else seems to be running OK. Can you of any possible causes? Thanks.
Could be related to what pages you have open and some extra calculations being done for bt2390+shifted diffuse white.

1. Does it behave normally with the default view and information pages?
2. If 1 = yes, what pages are open when you notice this?
post #340 of 1123 Old 01-12-2018, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Could be related to what pages you have open and some extra calculations being done for bt2390+shifted diffuse white.

1. Does it behave normally with the default view and information pages?
2. If 1 = yes, what pages are open when you notice this?
When I said “slow to start and close the preferences window”, I actually meant:
- slow to start the program (not to open Preferences), whether the auto check update option is turned on or off
- opening Preferences is nearly instantaneous, but closing it takes >30 sec. Even changing preferences and Apply is fast, the delay comes when I click OK.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 01-12-2018 at 07:25 AM.
post #341 of 1123 Old 01-12-2018, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I would also try sticking with a master MaxL value of 4000 nits for everything. This will sacrifice some highlights on some titles but overall it's probably better as I suspect the range just above diffuse white (50-60%) stimulus might be overemphasized especially for daylight scenes.
Would you mind explaining this a bit more? Not sure I am following. Using 4000 will clip content at 90% vs. 75% with 1000, so wouldn't that provide more highlights? I know I am wrong and you will tell me why - just trying to understand your point.

And when you say this range will be overemphasized, do you mean too bright?
post #342 of 1123 Old 01-12-2018, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Would you mind explaining this a bit more? Not sure I am following. Using 4000 will clip content at 90% vs. 75% with 1000, so wouldn't that provide more highlights? I know I am wrong and you will tell me why - just trying to understand your point.
Using 4000 clips at a higher level which means at the lower levels you will get less bright highlights, e.g., at 75% you will get 91 nits instead of 100 nits.
post #343 of 1123 Old 01-13-2018, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What I meant by this is that if you play a title mastered to 1000 nits with tone curve calculated for 4000 nits you will dim content between above diffuse white more than needed.

Quote:
And when you say this range will be overemphasized, do you mean too bright?
Yes, the BT.2390 curve leaves the input range of 0-50% pretty much untouched so if the average image is still too bright that means either the source material is graded to be brighter in this range or the tone curve is not knocking down the input codes above this range enough.

Last edited by zoyd; 01-13-2018 at 06:20 AM.
post #344 of 1123 Old 01-17-2018, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Here goes first attempt on coming up with a process to do HDR on the Epson. Feedback / corrections most welcome.

Pre-steps
- Using Firmware 1.11 and HCFR 3.4.6.6 (Note: as per Zoyd in post 484, RGBdE bars, NB/NW/satshift/lum graphs, and CIE diagram tooltip data have not been checked or updated for HDR) with internal patterns chromecasted (HCFR: Measures -> Generator -> Configure -> Display -> CCAST)
- Use Natural colour mode or colour mode of your choice (for my env I can get 160 nits for Natural and 70 for Digital Cinema, so you have to make the call of more specular highlights vs WCG)
- Reset chosen mode to defaults (Epson: Menu -> Image)
- Turn Iris off (Epson: Menu -> Image)
- Set Power Consumption to High (Epson: Menu -> Image), medium can be used also but at the sacrifice of nits which are important for the "HDR" affect but then less fan noise.
- Set projector Colour Space to BT.2020 and Dynamic Range to HDR Mode 2 (This was HDR Mode 1 pre 1.11 firmware) (Epson: Menu -> Signal -> Advanced)
- Turn on superwhite (Epson: Menu -> Image -> Advanced). Note, this is optional, jwhn can get the tone mapping curve to match in his setup without it and just using gamma controls, but I couldn't in my setup. For guidance as to use it or not, jwhn gets around 100nits max with his setup and I get around 160nits max.
- Unlike SDR, no need to change Brightness and Contrast (TBC)
- Set HCFR to 20 point (HCFR: Measures -> Parameters -> Number of grayscale levels)
- Set HCFR Colour Space to “UHDTV - Rec2020/P3” (HCFR: Advanced -> Preferences -> References)
- Set HCFR to SMPTE 2084 HDR (HCFR: Advanced -> Preferences -> References)
Grayscale
- Do 21 point grayscale sweep (HCFR: F2)
- Dial in using 30% and 80% points using continuous measure (HCFR: F8) and adjusting Red and Blue offset for 30% and Red and Blue gain for 80% so as to get a dE of 2 or lower, though lower than 1 should be easily achievable (Epson: Menu -> Image -> Colour Temp -> Customised).
- Note: 30% and 80% are typically used but you may get better results finding the best balance between 10/20/30 and 80/90/100.
- Note: There is a noticeable skew at the lower end (0 to 30%) on these Epson projectors. Some have attempted to reduce that skew using Colour Uniformity. See post 455
- May take a few attempts as offset and gain affect each other
Tone Mapping:
- Enable tone mapping in HCFR by checking "BT.2390 Tone Mapping" and "Override Targets" (HCFR: Advanced -> Preferences -> References)
- Set "Diffuse White[nits]" to what you personally would like, one school of thought is set it to what you use for 100% for SDR movies eg somewhere between 20 or 40 nits, note the higher you go the less room you leave for specular highlights
- Set “Target MaxL” to your 100% measure from the grayscale run
- Set “Master MaxL” and “Content MaxL” to 1000 or 4000 depending on what majority of your content is or even do two separate calibrations
- View Luminance graph. Grey dashed line is the target, yellow solid line is measured from grayscale sweep.
- Using continuous measure (HCFR: F8) adjust using customized gamma controls C1 to C9 (Epson: Menu -> Image -> Advanced -> Gamma -> Customized)
- Note: If can't get the curve to match by maxing the gamma controls then turn on superwhite and start over (Epson: Menu -> Image -> Advanced)
- Note: If can't get the curve to match by maxing the gamma controls then use Contrast (Epson: Menu -> Image)
- <Need to add more tips here as this is a black art!>
- Do a grayscale run after changes
CMS
- In HCFR, in the Information window, change the dropdown from "Comments" to "CIE Chart"
- In HCFR, change view to "Primaries and Secondaries", select white and run continuous measure so we get a reading for 50% white aka Diffuse White (HCFR: F8)
- Change view to “Red Saturation Scale", select 50% saturation and run continuous measure (HCFR: F8)
- Using Epson CMS (Epson: Menu -> Image -> Advanced -> RGBCMY -> R) dial in 50% saturation by using Hue (rotates the point around the center) and Saturation (moves it in and out from the center) so the yellow dot is in the second red box from the center of the chart.
- The third dimension, Brightness, cannot be done from the CIE Chart so adjust the CMS Brightness so "delta luminance" in the "Saturation colour" window is as close to 0% as possible for 50% saturation.
- Note, after adjusting brightness you may need to re-adjust CMS Hue and Saturation. This may take several attempts.
- Repeat for 50% Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow
- Run saturation sweep for all Primaries and Secondaries (HCFR: Measures -> Saturations -> Primary and Secondary colours)
- From the saturation sweep, 0%-25%-50%-75% saturations all should have a DE of less than 2. 100% saturations typically have a much higher DE as this projector, especially not having the cinema filter engaged, cant get the wider colour gamut. Green is the worst offender.
Post steps
- Check Grayscale, Tone Mapping and CMS again as adjustment to one can impact others
- Run a Full Tilt Boogie (HCFR: Measures -> Full Tilt Boogie)
- Save the HCFR chc file for future reference
- Turn Iris On (Epson: Menu -> Image) (TBC)
- Set projector Colour Space to Auto (Epson: Menu -> Signal -> Advanced)
- Set projector Dynamic Range to Auto if used HDR Mode 2 or Auto Bright if used HDR Mode 1 (Epson: Menu -> Signal -> Advanced)
- Set Image Preset to personal taste. Natural mode default is 1. Personally I prefer 4.
- Save to memory!

Epson EH-TW7300, 104" borderless ReAct 3, Denon AVR-X2300W in 5.1.2, Monitor Audio Bronze, Monitor Audio Pro-65, BK P12-300 sub, Nvidia Shield, Vero 4K+, ATV 4K, Panasonic UB400, SKY Q, PS3, Wii, RPi, Sony XF90, Denon Heos soundbar, Amazon Echo, Logitech Harmony Elite

Last edited by viperlogic; 01-24-2018 at 12:55 AM.
post #345 of 1123 Old 01-17-2018, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
- Set "Diffuse White[nits]" to your 50% measure from the grayscale run
Not sure why you would do that. IMHO this almost defeats the purpose of using a custom curve, as you're making the custom curve match Epson's HDR1 in Diffuse White.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 01-17-2018 at 05:27 PM.
post #346 of 1123 Old 01-17-2018, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Here goes first attempt on coming up with a process to do HDR on the Epson. Feedback / corrections most welcome.

Pre-steps

- Using Firmware 1.11 and HCFR 3.4.6.5 with internal patterns chromecasted (HCFR: Measures -> Generator -> Configure -> Display -> CCAST)
- Use Bright Cinema (for my env I can get 150 nits for Bright Cinema and 70 for Digital Cinema, spectral highlights vs WCG)
- Set Colour Space to BT.2020 and Dynamic Range to Auto Bright (aka HDR Mode 1) (Epson: Menu -> Signal -> Advanced)
Grayscale
- Set HCFR to 20 point (HCFR: Measures -> Parameters -> Number of grayscale levels)
- Dial in using 30% and 80% points using continuous measure (HCFR: F8) and adjusting Red and Blue offset for 30% and Red and Blue gain for 80% so as to get a dE of 2 or lower, though lower than 1 should be easily achievable (Epson: Menu -> Image -> Colour Temp -> Customised)
- May take a few attempts as they affect each other
Tone Mapping:
- Setup HCFR by selecting SMPTE 2084 HDR, checking BT.2390 Tone Mapping, Checking Override Targets (HCFR: Advanced -> Preferences -> References)
- Set “Master MaxL” and “Content MaxL” to 1000 or 4000 depending on what majority of your content is
- View Luminance graph. Grey dashed line is the target, yellow solid line is measured from grayscale sweep.
- Adjust using gamma controls (Epson: Menu -> Image -> Advanced -> Gamma -> Customized) and continuous measure (HCFR: F8)
- <Need to add tips here as this is a blade art!>
- May have to change diffuse white entry in settings as adjusting the gamma will change it
CMS
- Set HCFR Colour Space to “UHDTV - Rec2020/P3” (HCFR: Advanced -> Preferences -> References)
- Do a primaries and secondaries sweep (HCFR: F4)
- Change view to “Red Saturation Scale, select 50% saturation and run continuous measure (HCFR: F8)
- Dial in 50% using Epson CMS (Epson: Menu -> Image -> Advanced -> RGBCMY -> R)
- Repeat for Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow
Post steps
- Check Grayscale, Tone Mapping and CMS again as adjustment to one can impact others
- Turn Iris On (Epson: Menu -> Image)
- Save to memory!
Fantastic and Thank you
post #347 of 1123 Old 01-17-2018, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Pre-steps

- Using Firmware 1.11 and HCFR 3.4.6.5 with internal patterns chromecasted (HCFR: Measures -> Generator -> Configure -> Display -> CCAST)
- Use Bright Cinema (for my env I can get 150 nits for Bright Cinema and 70 for Digital Cinema, spectral highlights vs WCG)
- Set Colour Space to BT.2020 and Dynamic Range to Auto Bright (aka HDR Mode 1) (Epson: Menu -> Signal -> Advanced)
Grayscale
- Dial in using 30% and 80% points using continuous measure (HCFR: F8) and adjusting Red and Blue offset for 30% and Red and Blue gain for 80% so as to get a dE of 2 or lower, though lower than 1 should be easily achievable (Epson: Menu -> Image -> Colour Temp -> Customised)
- May take a few attempts as they affect each other
Tone Mapping:
- Setup HCFR by selecting SMPTE 2084 HDR, checking BT.2390 Tone Mapping, Checking Override Targets (HCFR: Advanced -> Preferences -> References)
- Set “Master MaxL” and “Content MaxL” to 1000 or 4000 depending on what majority of your content is
- Adjust using gamma controls (Epson: Menu -> Image -> Advanced -> Gamma -> Customized) and continuous measure (HCFR: F8)
- <Need to add tips here as this is a blade art!>
- May have to change diffuse white entry in settings as adjusting the gamma will change it
CMS
- Do a primaries and secondaries sweep (HCFR: F4)
- Change view to “Red Saturation Scale, select 50% saturation and run continuous measure (HCFR: F8)
- Dial in 50% using Epson CMS (Epson: Menu -> Image -> Advanced -> RGBCMY -> R)
- Repeat for Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow
Post steps
- Turn Iris On (Epson: Menu -> Image)
- Save to memory!
Thanks for creating this outline. How well did this work for you? Were you able to get the gamma curve to match the target? How about your colors?
post #348 of 1123 Old 01-18-2018, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Not sure why you would do that. IMHO this almost defeats the purpose of using a custom curve, as you're making the custom curve match Epson's HDR1 in Diffuse White.
Thanks for spotting that. Post updated.

Epson EH-TW7300, 104" borderless ReAct 3, Denon AVR-X2300W in 5.1.2, Monitor Audio Bronze, Monitor Audio Pro-65, BK P12-300 sub, Nvidia Shield, Vero 4K+, ATV 4K, Panasonic UB400, SKY Q, PS3, Wii, RPi, Sony XF90, Denon Heos soundbar, Amazon Echo, Logitech Harmony Elite
post #349 of 1123 Old 01-18-2018, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks for creating this outline. How well did this work for you? Were you able to get the gamma curve to match the target? How about your colors?
I wrote it from memory while stuck in a meeting yesterday! I did this method for 1K master with Digital Cinema to see if i notice the WCG compared to Bright Cinema. Have yet to do a new Bright Cinema calibration run to then compare the two.

Has anyone tried a 4K master run to see if we can even get the curve to match or be close with our "limited" gamma controls?

While checking my catalogue of 2160p movies, its a mix of 1K and 4K masters, but of the 4K masters, the max doesn't go beyond 1500 nits. When get the time I will do a memory slot for 1K and another for 4K master.

post #350 of 1123 Old 01-18-2018, 01:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My comments:
- to match the luminance curve, it is very helpful to adjust the contrast as well (it has far more effect than gamma editor)
- why do you use bright cinema? I found that natural mode has much better colors, and is even brighter.
- with new firmware it is easier to match the luminance in HDR2 than in HDR1
- You should not set projector in auto/auto bright but in HDR 2/HDR1.

Last edited by allensh; 01-18-2018 at 01:21 AM.
post #351 of 1123 Old 01-18-2018, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allensh View Post
My comments:
- to match the luminance curve, it is very helpful to adjust the contrast as well (it has far more effect than gamma editor)
- why do you use bright cinema? I found that natural mode has much better colors, and is even brighter.
Thanks for the feedback. Have updated original post. Why I use Bright Cinema, I'm not actually sure! Think it was due to the other options it sets eg skin tone, noise, image enhancements etc

Last edited by viperlogic; 01-18-2018 at 03:04 AM.
post #352 of 1123 Old 01-18-2018, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Have updated original post. Why I use Bright Cinema, I'm not actually sure! Think it was due to the other options it sets eg skin tone, noise, image enhancements etc
The tone mapped targets for color calibration are still not correct in test version 3.4.6.5 I will have a formal update to sourceforge in a couple of days with that fixed.
viperlogic likes this.
post #353 of 1123 Old 01-18-2018, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The tone mapped targets for color calibration are still not correct in test version 3.4.6.5 I will have a formal update to sourceforge in a couple of days with that fixed.
Are they out by much eg more than a delta of 1 or ?

post #354 of 1123 Old 01-18-2018, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are they out by much eg more than a delta of 1 or ?
This depends on how much the tone mapping shifts your diffuse white value but in general you should not use the Y color targets when tone mapping is checked until the update is available.
post #355 of 1123 Old 01-18-2018, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
This depends on how much the tone mapping shifts your diffuse white value but in general you should not use the Y color targets when tone mapping is checked until the update is available.
Is there a workaround until fixed? eg 1) do tone mapping, then turn it off, then do CMS or 2) do CMS, then do tone mapping? Not that I'm impatient, its just I have some free time to do some calibrations while wifey is away!

Last edited by viperlogic; 01-18-2018 at 07:31 AM.
post #356 of 1123 Old 01-18-2018, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggusDiccus View Post
Holy crap. Will do! I think my wife would kill me if I buy another streamer to take advantage of HDR content.
So I got the Roku Ultra to give me HDR content using the settings suggested here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...l#post55153048 when using the Linker (except for Guardians of Galaxy 2 for some reason). Only problem is, like many others, HDR content is DARK. I'll be calibrating using the things I've learned from this thread.
post #357 of 1123 Old 01-18-2018, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I wrote it from memory while stuck in a meeting yesterday! I did this method for 1K master with Digital Cinema to see if i notice the WCG compared to Bright Cinema. Have yet to do a new Bright Cinema calibration run to then compare the two.

Has anyone tried a 4K master run to see if we can even get the curve to match or be close with our "limited" gamma controls?

While checking my catalogue of 2160p movies, its a mix of 1K and 4K masters, but of the 4K masters, the max doesn't go beyond 1500 nits. When get the time I will do a memory slot for 1K and another for 4K master.

Okay, thanks. I believe zoyd has recommend just using 4000 for everything.

I think you have captured the basic work flow. I was asking how it worked because for me a few of the details in your approach don't produce the desired results. Last I saw you had not gotten the gamma curve to behave, so that is why I was checking.

Anyway, I will wait for the new version of HCFR before attempting more calibrations and can chime in more with my experience.

viperlogic likes this.
post #358 of 1123 Old 01-18-2018, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My comments:

Agree with your contrast and firmware points. But again I will try again with the next version of HCFR. I think laying out concrete steps before we have a stable version may create more confusion than clarity. : )

I do use auto as that is the same as HDR2. This way you can easily change from SDR to HDR.

post #359 of 1123 Old 01-18-2018, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I do use auto as that is the same as HDR2. This way you can easily change from SDR to HDR.
Correct, but for calibration purpose, I believe you have to force a HDR mode. After calibration you can put it back to auto. Same thing for color mode. Correct me if I'm wrong.
post #360 of 1123 Old 01-18-2018, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Correct, but for calibration purpose, I believe you have to force a HDR mode. After calibration you can put it back to auto. Same thing for color mode. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I am using Manual generator, the Masciola disk, so those trigger HDR mode. Not sure about the automatic HCFR patterns. You are probably right in that case.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page