HDR10 test patterns set - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 161Likes

post #241 of 253 Old 12-17-2019, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post
Has anyone tried playing these patterns through a USB stick in the the USB port on a Roku Ultra, using the Roku Media Player app?

Dan
Just wanted to confirm that I placed these files (the 7z "Mini" 2GB download) onto a USB stick and I can play these through my Roku Ultra's USB port and my TV (Vizio 65" Quantum X PX65-G)recognizes them as HDR content. WooHoo!

Looks like I get to fool around with my TV some more. Already fully calibrated it with SDR content, which went very well.

Thanks to all involved. Now to figure out which patterns I actually need. There are so many!

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 253 Old 12-18-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm guessing that this is an obvious question, but the 21 step Grayscale calibration files are meant to calibrated to D65 correct?

...and is there any benefit to using the patterns with max nits of 1000 versus 4000? I plan to use the max 1000 nits patterns to calibrate, but then check the calibrated results against the 4000 nit patterns. Any suggestions otherwise?

I'm calibrating a 2019 Vizio Quantum X with pretty high nits capability

Dan

screen capture courtesy or rtings.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nits.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	2655608  

Last edited by stereomandan; 12-18-2019 at 09:34 AM.
post #243 of 253 Old 12-18-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 5410 Post(s)
Liked: 2151
Quote:
I'm guessing that this is an obvious question, but the 21 step Grayscale calibration files are meant to calibrated to D65 correct?
D65 is the standard but some people prefer “cooler” colour temperatures.

Quote:
...and is there any benefit to using the patterns with max nits of 1000 versus 4000? I plan to use the max 1000 nits patterns to calibrate, but then check the calibrated results against the 4000 nit patterns. Any suggestions otherwise?
AFAIK the enclosed data is the same; only the metadata is different.
M-V likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 253 Old 12-18-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
D65 is the standard but some people prefer “cooler” colour temperatures.

AFAIK the enclosed data is the same; only the metadata is different.
Much appreciated. Thank you.

Dan
post #245 of 253 Old 12-18-2019, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
M-V

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Correct, only metadata and text labels differ, pattern codes are the same.
post #246 of 253 Old 12-20-2019, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, please help and I apologize in advance for some of you having to rehash these answers...

My setup
  • HCFR 3.5.1.4
  • i1pro spectrophotometer
  • Playing the files through my Roku Ultra USB port (which is working great)
  • Vizio PX65-G 65" Quantum X TV

Edit: I located the HCFR HDR specific files (see attached file screen grab). I see that there are saturation windows for each of the primary and secondary colors (in 10% or 25% increments). I assume that if I choose the REC2020 color space in HCFR and run the 25% incremental saturation tests that these files align with HCFR's targets? Edit again. To answer my own question, the answer is yes I ran the patterns and I uploaded my HDR luminance and color gamut results for REC.2020. Still need to run p3 gamut

Thanks, Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4 x y gamut.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	2656630   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 RBG grayscale tracking and dE.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	2656632   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Gamma Tracking.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	2656634   Click image for larger version

Name:	HCFR files.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	2656646   Click image for larger version

Name:	HDR PQ Curve.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	2656816  

Name:	REC2020.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	2656818  

Last edited by stereomandan; 12-20-2019 at 08:36 PM.
post #247 of 253 Old 01-03-2020, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Hi y’all. I’m trying to wrap my head around HDR calibration and why changing the whitespace RGB controls for 11 point calibration wasn’t working. I’m trying to dial in D65 like I did in SDR on my Vizio PX-75 using HCFR and an i1 Display Pro. I’m using the HDR patterns in this thread.

The reason why HCFS was not being responsive to my RGB changes for whitespace is because the HDR patterns are not mapping cleanly to my TV’s 11 point white balance % steps.

For example, my TV 20% white balance RGB controls map to the HDR 40-40% C416 pattern, instead of 20% C240, as expected. Nothing maps 1:1 up and down the scale. This didn’t happen for SDR tuning.

Is this because I’m not understanding HDR correctly? Or maybe my TV isn’t interpreting the patterns? The TV definitely changes to HDR when loading any of the patterns so I know it’s reading the metadata.
post #248 of 253 Old 01-03-2020, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Loomis View Post
Hi y’all. I’m trying to wrap my head around HDR calibration and why changing the whitespace RGB controls for 11 point calibration wasn’t working. I’m trying to dial in D65 like I did in SDR on my Vizio PX-75 using HCFR and an i1 Display Pro. I’m using the HDR patterns in this thread.

The reason why HCFS was not being responsive to my RGB changes for whitespace is because the HDR patterns are not mapping cleanly to my TV’s 11 point white balance % steps.

For example, my TV 20% white balance RGB controls map to the HDR 40-40% C416 pattern, instead of 20% C240, as expected. Nothing maps 1:1 up and down the scale. This didn’t happen for SDR tuning.

Is this because I’m not understanding HDR correctly? Or maybe my TV isn’t interpreting the patterns? The TV definitely changes to HDR when loading any of the patterns so I know it’s reading the metadata.
You are absolutely correct. Here are how they mapped for me on my 2019 Vizio 65" Quantum X:

Also, I calibrate the HDR and SDR grayscale with the "Active Full Array" set to off. For HDR I only tried to adjust to D65. I didn't try to adjust the overall brightness of each pattern to match a particular gamma target. However, for SDR content I did adjust both grayscale to D65 while also adjusting the levels to get the brightness to match gamma 2.22.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HDR Vizio Mapping.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	2663600  
dwaleke and Dan Loomis like this.

Last edited by stereomandan; 01-03-2020 at 02:26 PM.
post #249 of 253 Old 01-03-2020, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked: 2099
Yep, I also took the time to figure out, as accurately as I was able to, which exact code values my C6 was adjusting with its settings. It didn't match the official suggested codes, and I actually found out that one of the settings actually jumped up and down for which code it directly controlled, leading to very inconsistent results. In the end I decided to focus on correcting greyscale chroma only, not luma, as the luma changes were also causing too drastic of a change, causing a sharp banding that was just not fixable. Despite creating my own patterns to match the settings on my set, including patterns that would represent the midpoints between the optimal code values, for a good reference point in how they cross over, it still created visible artifacts that were just impossible to remove while maintaining chroma correction. While I was able to technically improve the error by a lot, it just wasn't helpful visually. Plus, each setting appeared to affect the same number of nits no matter how dark the target code should have been making it very difficult to get good values in the lower nits anyways.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk
Dan Loomis likes this.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
post #250 of 253 Old 01-03-2020, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
You are absolutely correct. Here are how they mapped for me on my 2019 Vizio 65" Quantum X:

Also, I calibrate the HDR and SDR grayscale with the "Active Full Array" set to off. For HDR I only tried to adjust to D65. I didn't try to adjust the overall brightness of each pattern to match a particular gamma target. However, for SDR content I did adjust both grayscale to D65 while also adjusting the levels to get the brightness to match gamma 2.22.

Dan
Oh thank god...I thought I was going insane.

My mappings are not the same, I’m assuming because I streaming the files through my Fire Stick 4k from my LAN. Anyway, that gets me going in the right direction. Thanks!

Last edited by Dan Loomis; 01-03-2020 at 06:36 PM.
post #251 of 253 Old 01-04-2020, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a technical question about the color space and gamut setting during HDR calibration. I have a Samsung QLED and there’s essentially 4 settings: auto color space, native color space, custom color space with DCI-P3 gamut, and custom color space with BT.2020 gamut. What do these settings actually do? What are they forcing?

To me it seems that only auto or custom color space with BT.2020 gamut would ever be correct for an HDR signal since they all use a BT.2020 container (with content only really using values in the P3 gamut).

Changing these color spaces and gamuts definitely affect the picture, but it’s unclear to me what they are actually doing. Is it basically that they are applying some conversion to the BT.2020 values to covert them to display-native or P3 gamut values? If it’s just a reinterpretation (as opposed to a conversion) then I would expect the colors to be less vibrant since the reinterpretation would be converting from a larger gamut to a smaller one.

Anyone got some good information about these sorts of settings?
post #252 of 253 Old 01-04-2020, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschmitt View Post
I have a technical question about the color space and gamut setting during HDR calibration. I have a Samsung QLED and there’s essentially 4 settings: auto color space, native color space, custom color space with DCI-P3 gamut, and custom color space with BT.2020 gamut. What do these settings actually do? What are they forcing?

To me it seems that only auto or custom color space with BT.2020 gamut would ever be correct for an HDR signal since they all use a BT.2020 container (with content only really using values in the P3 gamut).

Changing these color spaces and gamuts definitely affect the picture, but it’s unclear to me what they are actually doing. Is it basically that they are applying some conversion to the BT.2020 values to covert them to display-native or P3 gamut values? If it’s just a reinterpretation (as opposed to a conversion) then I would expect the colors to be less vibrant since the reinterpretation would be converting from a larger gamut to a smaller one.

Anyone got some good information about these sorts of settings?
"Custom" modes are really only useful if you are calibrating with equipment. They allow you to adjust parameters for the colors, which shouldn't be done "by eye". You should be running Auto (preferred) or Native.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #253 of 253 Old 01-04-2020, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
"Custom" modes are really only useful if you are calibrating with equipment. They allow you to adjust parameters for the colors, which shouldn't be done "by eye". You should be running Auto (preferred) or Native.
I understand that (and I have my displays calibrated professionally), but I’m looking for a technical explanation from an engineering perspective of what the setting is actually doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Tags
calibration , hdr , HDR-10 , hdr10 , patterns

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page