2018 LG OLED Calibration and User Settings (No price talk) - Page 103 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2143Likes

post #3061 of 3131 Old 05-13-2019, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hello all tech savvy you,

I am interested in getting a 65C8 or 55C8 and I'm quite sensitive to oversaturated colours. I'm a pro photographer so I am used to tweak images to my liking. In photo editing software like Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop I get massive control over my picture settings. I can get from b/w to oversaturated and all in between.

My question is: can I tweak a C8 to my liking like an image in photoshop? Do I get similar controls like saturation or even saturation per colour channel?

The reason I ask is that I have seen the C7 and C8 panels a couple of times and every time I found the image very saturated, the reds in particular. I mean to the point that it can't be real. I watched a concert scene containing a lady singer in a red dress. No way that dress could have been so red.

Basically I would like to turn down the saturation to realistic values.

Is that possible? I'm not asking how, I'm asking if.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 3131 Old 05-13-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
You can, if you use LightSpace and DeviceControl for LG calibration, and use the LUT Image capability of LightSpace.
See: https://www.lightillusion.com/lut_image.html

(Info on LightSpace and DeviceControl can also be found on the Light Illusion website.)

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #3063 of 3131 Old 05-13-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Illusion View Post
You can, if you use LightSpace and DeviceControl for LG calibration, and use the LUT Image capability of LightSpace.

(Info on LightSpace and DeviceControl can also be found on the Light Illusion website.)

Steve
Thank you Steve for you info and link. Just to be sure: what settings can I control out of the box? I mean without additional equipment or software?

Regards,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3064 of 3131 Old 05-13-2019, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubeFromHolland View Post
Quote:

Steve
Thank you Steve for you info and link. Just to be sure: what settings can I control out of the box? I mean without additional equipment or software?

Regards,
You can adjust the colors with the TV's color management system. And yeah, red is oversaturated at default. So is green
post #3065 of 3131 Old 05-13-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:

Steve
Trying to sell software is one thing, but it's entirely another thing to make someone feel like they need it to make basic adjustments.
post #3066 of 3131 Old 05-13-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked: 2024
Quote:
Hello all tech savvy you,

I am interested in getting a 65C8 or 55C8 and I'm quite sensitive to oversaturated colours. I'm a pro photographer so I am used to tweak images to my liking. In photo editing software like Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop I get massive control over my picture settings. I can get from b/w to oversaturated and all in between.

My question is: can I tweak a C8 to my liking like an image in photoshop? Do I get similar controls like saturation or even saturation per colour channel?

The reason I ask is that I have seen the C7 and C8 panels a couple of times and every time I found the image very saturated, the reds in particular. I mean to the point that it can't be real. I watched a concert scene containing a lady singer in a red dress. No way that dress could have been so red.

Basically I would like to turn down the saturation to realistic values.

Is that possible? I'm not asking how, I'm asking if.

Thanks!

CalMAN Home for LG was just released. If you are not interested in actual calibration just use the Technicolor Expert Picture Mode.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #3067 of 3131 Old 05-13-2019, 01:27 PM

I want to point out to this group that not everybody has autocal, and some want to calibrate their TV's the old fashioned way. Autocal is nice, but it's not the end all be all like some of you make it out to be. The sense of elitism stinks on this page. I was going to share my settings (which I spent 10+ hours dialing in for SDR and HDR), but someone will inevitably say its not accurate because I didn't use their software of choice. We should all encourage calibration, regardless of how it's accomplished; We should not be pushing a product that adds a ton of expense(videoforge, calman/lightspace license) to our already expensive purchase, or talking down to those that don't have said product. Just my two cents worth.
post #3068 of 3131 Old 05-13-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronitis View Post
Trying to sell software is one thing, but it's entirely another thing to make someone feel like they need it to make basic adjustments.
What?
I answered the question - exactly.
Using Photoshop to make changes.
Not just using the basic TV controls - as that is what was asked, was it not?

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #3069 of 3131 Old 05-13-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Regards,
Ah - if you just want to adjust the TV settings, you can indeed just do that with the TV's in-built controls.
It was the reference to using Photoshop I was responding to.
But, it does look like the way I read the original question was incorrect.

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #3070 of 3131 Old 05-13-2019, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
I want to point out to this group that not everybody has autocal, and some want to calibrate their TV's the old fashioned way. Autocal is nice, but it's not the end all be all like some of you make it out to be. The sense of elitism stinks on this page. I was going to share my settings (which I spent 10+ hours dialing in for SDR and HDR), but someone will inevitably say its not accurate because I didn't use their software of choice. We should all encourage calibration, regardless of how it's accomplished; We should not be pushing a product that adds a ton of expense(videoforge, calman/lightspace license) to our already expensive purchase, or talking down to those that don't have said product. Just my two cents worth.
This is not for argument, just clarification. When you say old fashioned way, how long back do you go. I can see your point on expensive license(I do own Lightspace, to be clear) but do you also feel the same way about someone making adjustment to the picture by making sure colors look " right" vs someone having an actual instrument to measure the color, and make sure it is right?

Generally speaking, people with an instrument feel that the other method by just making sure the colors look right(or, for that matter using a blue and other colored filters) is not as good( I wouldn't call it talking down).
post #3071 of 3131 Old 05-13-2019, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 96
@WiFi-Spy is there a better place to discuss CalMAN Home for LG, or should we begin here?

LeRoy

LG OLED65C8PUA, Onkyo TX-RZ920, Sony UBP-X700, Apple TV 4K, Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, AT&T Gigabit Internet & U-verse
post #3072 of 3131 Old 05-13-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 4421 Post(s)
Liked: 6700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji View Post
This is not for argument, just clarification. When you say old fashioned way, how long back do you go. I can see your point on expensive license(I do own Lightspace, to be clear) but do you also feel the same way about someone making adjustment to the picture by making sure colors look " right" vs someone having an actual instrument to measure the color, and make sure it is right?

Generally speaking, people with an instrument feel that the other method by just making sure the colors look right(or, for that matter using a blue and other colored filters) is not as good( I wouldn't call it talking down).
Indeed. Do you "guess" by eye, or do you measure accurately with an instrument. Same question whether you're adjusting a TV, or cutting up wood to make some shelves, or putting the shelves up to be exactly horizontal.

Another way of asking the same thing - if you had to put all these pictures up and they had to look perfect, which is the best way to do it?
  • With a spirit level, or
  • Without a spirit level?

How do you react to the person who insists that it's "just as good" to try without a spirit level? How is it possible to explain to them they are wasting their time, without offending them? Is the person who tries without the spirit level silly, or deluded; or just having harmless fun?

Vishwa Somayaji and jrref like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #3073 of 3131 Old 05-13-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 1325
Quote:

Either party that happen to be behind calibration software don't attack people on here for whatever calibration method they choose, they are offering options to people that ask questions. Many use hcfr because it's free. Most others in this particular thread have either calman or lightspace or both.

Heck I use to criticize a guy on YouTube quantum apotheosis because he would literally post a video every few days about the "perfect calibration" for his Sony mid range tv. All he ever did was tweak main user settings brightness, contrast, color and then some extra options like dynamic contrast and such...but it would tick me
off that he would call them calibrations because that's really just tweaking the image to your liking and environment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chunon and mrtickleuk like this.
post #3074 of 3131 Old 05-13-2019, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoyK View Post
@WiFi-Spy is there a better place to discuss CalMAN Home for LG, or should we begin here?

LeRoy

It might be worth creating it’s own thread, since the Sony and Samsung CalMAN Home users made their own separate threads.

post #3075 of 3131 Old 05-13-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji View Post
Quote:

Obviously I was talking about using a meter and the TV's internal calibration settings. It was in my first sentence. Don't over think it...

Last edited by chronitis; 05-13-2019 at 05:10 PM.
post #3076 of 3131 Old 05-13-2019, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 60
@mrtickleuk : That was a really good example with the picture hanging.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #3077 of 3131 Old 05-13-2019, 05:20 PM

My reaction was mostly based on Steve and another guy saying you needed Lightspace or Calman to reduce the oversaturation of red. That's a complete fallacy. You can get amazing results if you have HCFR and a good spectro/colorimeter. I posted my results a few days back and was immediately discredited because I didn't use Autocal. Apparently your shouldn't touch the code values in HDR mode. I was told to only use the 2 point calibration...yeah right. If you don't know what you're doing then that's probably a good idea. The attitude that you have to use autocal to get good results is pretentious and condescending... IMO
post #3078 of 3131 Old 05-13-2019, 05:22 PM

Would anybody like settings that don't require you to load a 3d lut file onto your TV?
post #3079 of 3131 Old 05-13-2019, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
It might be worth creating it’s own thread, since the Sony and Samsung CalMAN Home users made their own separate threads.
Here we go:

CalMAN Home LG

New thread in Display Calibration

LG OLED65C8PUA, Onkyo TX-RZ920, Sony UBP-X700, Apple TV 4K, Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, AT&T Gigabit Internet & U-verse
post #3080 of 3131 Old 05-14-2019, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
CalMAN Home for LG was just released. If you are not interested in actual calibration just use the Technicolor Expert Picture Mode.
Thank you all for your replies! As I do calibrate my photo gear (dSLR bodies) by shooting a color chart and using the colour profile in photoshop I have an inkling of a future desire to calibrate my TV.
However as a father of 3 with a crazy weekly schedule including work and household tasks, I may not have enough time shortly to master the TV calibration methods, so my preliminary objective is to dial in a set of realistic color settings.

The basic settings used in the TV stores appear to boast demo videos with massive brightness, contrast and colour saturation apparently to lure customers into buying the units. After reading so many praise for the LG OLED panels in online reviews I was convinced I wanted one, but once inside the TV store, to be honest these horrifying image settings had the opposite effect on me: they scared me off and blew me out of the TV store.

Hence my question here.
post #3081 of 3131 Old 05-14-2019, 03:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 3778 Post(s)
Liked: 3606
2018 LG OLED Calibration and User Settings (No price talk)

Quote:
My reaction was mostly based on Steve and another guy saying you needed Lightspace or Calman to reduce the oversaturation of red. That's a complete fallacy. You can get amazing results if you have HCFR and a good spectro/colorimeter. I posted my results a few days back and was immediately discredited because I didn't use Autocal. Apparently your shouldn't touch the code values in HDR mode. I was told to only use the 2 point calibration...yeah right. If you don't know what you're doing then that's probably a good idea. The attitude that you have to use autocal to get good results is pretentious and condescending... IMO

I don’t know what your problem is but we were all getting along fine here till you started posting . The “guy” giving you tips is a professional calibrator and he is the farthest thing from condescending , he has helped me many times here and over the phone . As far as your “magic” settings , settings don’t transfer from set to set and that’s really not what this thread is about . If you would open your mind you might actually learn something here . You are the one that is arrogant displayed many times in the C8 thread .

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #3082 of 3131 Old 05-14-2019, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 1325
@WiFi-Spy with the newer lg cal home, there is now a workflow page that allows manipulation of contrast/brightness/oled light after the lut screen. Doesn't the lg still need to be in bypass to run the lut? Speaking for a 2018 c8. Does the 2019 not require cr85br50?

post #3083 of 3131 Old 05-14-2019, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
If i can say few words.
I can’t say that I’m new to calibration but I’m not expert. From my home user perspective it is quite annoying that we don’t really have alternative. I know you going to say. We have Calman for 149 we have HCFR that is free and we have LightSpace. Then I read all the comments I get upset to say the least. Some say that Calman is not accurate use LightSpace because it is better but it cost whopping 380 ( plus vat?) pounds for home license. What I’m annoyed is that api of LG Oled is locked and I can ether buy software that is 149 us( not accurate? )or other that is 380 or do manual free calibration (not sure if it is worth) because 2 companies have some sort privileges to access lg tv. My message is for us home users we want to have something that’s is reliable yet doesn’t ruin our budget and try 3dlut. Or maybe I’m overreacting and all that fuss about 3dlut is not worth for home use.
post #3084 of 3131 Old 05-14-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_bcc View Post
If i can say few words.

I can’t say that I’m new to calibration but I’m not expert. From my home user perspective it is quite annoying that we don’t really have alternative. I know you going to say. We have Calman for 149 we have HCFR that is free and we have LightSpace. Then I read all the comments I get upset to say the least. Some say that Calman is not accurate use LightSpace because it is better but it cost whopping 380 ( plus vat?) pounds for home license. What I’m annoyed is that api of LG Oled is locked and I can ether buy software that is 149 us( not accurate? )or other that is 380 or do manual free calibration (not sure if it is worth) because 2 companies have some sort privileges to access lg tv. My message is for us home users we want to have something that’s is reliable yet doesn’t ruin our budget and try 3dlut. Or maybe I’m overreacting and all that fuss about 3dlut is not worth for home use.

CalMAN is the only official LG supported calibration software for direct access to the 3D LUTs inside the TV. LightSpace has worked with a developer to reverse engineer CalMAN’s integration. Which I have said before is not guaranteed to work forever.

You can get a perfectly good calibration without a 3D LUT. These TVs are used in professional settings in Hollywood that is why LG has given access to the internal 3D LUTs. That way people don’t have to use external 3D LUT boxes To get that extra bit of accuracy needed when using these TVs as a professional monitor or client viewing monitor.
jrref and mrtickleuk like this.

post #3085 of 3131 Old 05-14-2019, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 4284 Post(s)
Liked: 5236
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_bcc View Post
If i can say few words.
So here is another perspective. At a high level, the "accuracy" for a Home calibrator using CalMAN Home, Light Space, HFCR or any other reputable calibration software is basically the same. When you dig deeper, yes there are some things Light Space does better like generating more accurate 3D LUTs and certain things that CalMAN does better like giving you the ability to calibrate HDR and DV and if you want free, then you use HFCR or equivalent. Given most Home calibrators won't be using reference equipment to calibrate, all these solutions will work just fine and although experts can show differences between them, to your eye, the end result will be very similar. A lot of what you read on AVS are deep details which are more of a concern to professional calibrators or Enthusiasts who are interested in the underlying technology and ways to use it.

And as Tyler says in the post above, CalMAN Home for LG gives you the ability to calibrate all the picture modes just like is done professionally with a nice result but a professional calibrator will use reference equipment and experience to get you the best possible Picture Quality accuracy.
chunon, Wjboshart and mrtickleuk like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified

Last edited by jrref; 05-14-2019 at 07:51 AM.
post #3086 of 3131 Old 05-19-2019, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 26

I have had my 65 inch C8 for about a month and have a little over 100 hours on it. I was planning to wait until I got to 200 hours and then hire a profession calibrator. I have to say I think the picture is stunning as it is and I hear it even gets a little better as you approach 200. I run in ISF Light/Dark and Cinema for DV. Is it really worth the money and would I actually notice a difference after professional calibration? Can it get that much better?

Anyone doing video and audio calibration in the NYC area?

Aperion Verus Grand Bookshelf L/R
Aperion Verus Grand Center Channel
Aperion Verus Forte Satellite
SVS PB-1000
Denon X3400 / LG C8 65inch OLED / ATV4K
post #3087 of 3131 Old 05-19-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agerson View Post
I have had my 65 inch C8 for about a month and have a little over 100 hours on it. I was planning to wait until I got to 200 hours and then hire a profession calibrator. I have to say I think the picture is stunning as it is and I hear it even gets a little better as you approach 200. I run in ISF Light/Dark and Cinema for DV. Is it really worth the money and would I actually notice a difference after professional calibration? Can it get that much better?

Try Kevin Miller(isftv.com) , also post in calibrators where are you located sticky .

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #3088 of 3131 Old 05-19-2019, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 4284 Post(s)
Liked: 5236
Quote:
Originally Posted by agerson View Post

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/prof...ation-services

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #3089 of 3131 Old 05-21-2019, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Quote:

I don’t know what your problem is but we were all getting along fine here till you started posting . The “guy” giving you tips is a professional calibrator and he is the farthest thing from condescending , he has helped me many times here and over the phone . As far as your “magic” settings , settings don’t transfer from set to set and that’s really not what this thread is about . If you would open your mind you might actually learn something here . You are the one that is arrogant displayed many times in the C8 thread .

Implying that you need certain software, and that have to use Autocal reeks of elitism. Your comment was more of a dig on me, and less of a response to what I said.
post #3090 of 3131 Old 05-21-2019, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Implying that you need certain software, and that have to use Autocal reeks of elitism. Your comment was more of a dig on me, and less of a response to what I said.

The only elitism here is in your head imo, you seem not very confident in your abilities , if you were you wouldn’t react the way you have . I have found everyone here to be very helpful take care .

I have a high opinion of hcfr have used it myself , you can get a very good result using manual calibration no one here is disputing that . However , there are certain issues that auto calibration with a 3D lut addresses , they can’t be totally mitigated with manual calibration imo

Rolls-Royce likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A

Last edited by chunon; 05-21-2019 at 04:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page