2018 LG OLED Calibration and User Settings (No price talk) - Page 126 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2553Likes

post #3751 of 3757 Old 06-24-2020, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6258 Post(s)
Liked: 9107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodrummer1603 View Post
So if true that my peak brightness is higher than 700 using manual calibration is closer to EOTF-standard than using AutoCal ?
No it's nothing to do with whether the calibration is manual or not. The TV's tone mapping engine is based on a peak brightness of 700 nits which is fixed. On the 2019s as Tyler says you can tell the TV its real peak brightness. But for proper accurate PQ tracking on the 2018 LG, lower "OLED Light" down from 100 until it's at a value where peak HDR brightness measures as close to 700 as you can get it. On mine that's 87 IIRC. HTH.

ps this is covered in more detail in the previous posts already in this thread
pps this only applies to HDR10. For HLG, it's relative so the peak can be as bright as you like with the panel's max brightness.
jrref likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 3757 Old 06-29-2020, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Any idea why this LG B8 behaves like this? Could it be the result of a Dolby firmware / software blob update in the v05.10.50 LG firmware package (EU version)?
I guess, due to the nature of the DolbyVision pattern generation with CalMAN + HDFury (YCC-like signal sent as RGB) this can't be a setup error (a not bit-perfect output either wouldn't work at all or at least drift in other aspects beyond the tone curve's shape).
I triple-checked the settings, closed and reopened CalMAN fresh from the default template, I re-uploaded the DV config file, etc.
I calibrated Cinema Home but it always behaved the same as regular Cinema after a reset and/or calibration. And I did a pre-cal check of the factory Cinema (regular, not Home) and Game modes and they look mostly the same as the calibrated Cinema Home (safe fro the factory black-crush).
Since HDR10 looks fine (relatively to what one should expect from an LG Alpha 7 base OLED), I guess this must be Dolby's fault. Could it be the DolbyVision IQ update? (Power Saving was set to Off and the room was dim, not fully dark.)

To be honest, I never cared to check these on my C9 (not with early, not with new, post-DolbyIQ firmware). I just used the iTPG on that one, never touched the HDFury and just expected everything to work since I can't do anything about the closed Dolby black box anyway...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kalimist_LG55B8_HDR_10_precaltonemmaped.png
Views:	21
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	2750584   Click image for larger version

Name:	kalimist_LG55B8_HDR_11_postcal_postcaltonemapped.png
Views:	19
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	2750586   Click image for larger version

Name:	kalimist_LG55B8_HDR_12_postcal_GSgamma.png
Views:	17
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	2750588   Click image for larger version

Name:	kalimist_LG55B8_HDR_13_postcal_GStonemapped.png
Views:	16
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	2750590   Click image for larger version

Name:	kalimist_LG55B8_HDR_14_postcal_SATtonemapped.png
Views:	15
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	2750592  

Click image for larger version

Name:	kalimist_LG55B8_DV_10_precaltonemmaped.png
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	2750594   Click image for larger version

Name:	kalimist_LG55B8_DV_11_postcal_SATtonemapped.png
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	2750596   Click image for larger version

Name:	kalimist_LG55B8_DV_12_postcal_GSgamma.png
Views:	15
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	2750598   Click image for larger version

Name:	kalimist_LG55B8_DV_13_postcal_GStonemapped.png
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	2750600  

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list

Last edited by janos666; 06-29-2020 at 06:10 AM.
post #3753 of 3757 Old 06-29-2020, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 1989 Post(s)
Liked: 2577
DV Cinema Home is intended as a bright room mode and will not track PQ properly. If you do the same calibration in DV Cinema mode, then it will track correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jrref and mrtickleuk like this.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - Portrait Displays/Calman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3754 of 3757 Old 06-29-2020, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
DV Cinema Home is intended as a bright room mode and will not track PQ properly. If you do the same calibration in DV Cinema mode, then it will track correctly.
1: On my C9 both Cinema modes seem to behave exactly the same after a fresh DDC Reset or after a full calibration (to the same targets, obviously: the CalMAN defaults for the LG DV workflow [D65, g2.2], and of course every other TV user settings matched between the picture modes). The initial difference seems to fully disappear with a DDC Reset.

2: As I mentioned above: the regular Cinema mode (in it's factory default state, no less) measures just about the same as the calibrated Cinema Home mode. You can see I had an extra History tab open on the tone-mapped gray-scale verify charts (although I didn't post the screenshot of History2) - that is for regular Cinema.
But DV pre-cal also shows regular Cinema measurements because I didn't care to measure the factory state of Cinema Home before the Reset (since I know it's a custom "day mode" by default), I only went back to do some extra measurements after I noticed something is not right (during post-cal measurements). This is why pre-cal and post-cal charts are so very similar: the only difference is the slight adjustment to the display panel gamma response and the config file by AutoCAL (1DLUT + config file). But it's a well-behaved display panel, so the calibration doesn't make a big difference.

Right now, the calibrated Cinema Home looks really close to the factory default Cinema (save for the obvious black crush with post-marcro-block LG firmwares in default factory state which is not unit-specific but LG's fault in general) and both measure much further from the reference tone-curve than expected.
This difference is magnitudes higher than whatever is expected from the 1DLUT calibration of the gamma 2.2 response (and the pattern source was the same PC between HDR10 and DV, so HDR10 post-cal should be similarly flawed if the error was on the source side).

Last edited by janos666; 06-29-2020 at 08:48 AM.
post #3755 of 3757 Old 06-29-2020, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post
Since HDR10 looks fine (relatively to what one should expect from an LG Alpha 7 base OLED), I guess this must be Dolby's fault. Could it be the DolbyVision IQ update? (Power Saving was set to Off and the room was dim, not fully dark.)

[....]
To be honest, I never cared to check these on my C9 (not with early, not with new, post-DolbyIQ firmware). I just used the iTPG on that one, never touched the HDFury and just expected everything to work since I can't do anything about the closed Dolby black box anyway...
Hmm. In trying to help work out what's happening I keep coming back to this. You keep repeating this Dolby Vision IQ thing, but that is a feature only available on the 2020 models. There was one single marketing-based claim that the 2019 models have something "very similar to Dolby Vision IQ (but just not actually called Dolby Vision IQ)", however that's been disputed quite hotly on the owner's thread. Either way - that's only on the 2019 C9.

I've never seem a claim that the 2018 models have either the real Dolby Vision IQ or anything like it, in any Dolby Vision mode. Do you perhaps have a reference for that, please, if you believe otherwise? Perhaps starting with the LG release notes for their firmware which would surely mention it. AFAIK LG's "AI Brightness" suite of features - of which Dolby Vision IQ is part, for 2020 models - is definitely only available on the 2019-on models.
jrref likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 06-29-2020 at 12:23 PM.
post #3756 of 3757 Old 07-02-2020, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Hmm. In trying to help work out what's happening I keep coming back to this. You keep repeating this Dolby Vision IQ thing, but that is a feature only available on the 2020 models. There was one single marketing-based claim that the 2019 models have something "very similar to Dolby Vision IQ (but just not actually called Dolby Vision IQ)", however that's been disputed quite hotly on the owner's thread. Either way - that's only on the 2019 C9.

I've never seem a claim that the 2018 models have either the real Dolby Vision IQ or anything like it, in any Dolby Vision mode. Do you perhaps have a reference for that, please, if you believe otherwise? Perhaps starting with the LG release notes for their firmware which would surely mention it. AFAIK LG's "AI Brightness" suite of features - of which Dolby Vision IQ is part, for 2020 models - is definitely only available on the 2019-on models.
Well, don't overthink it. I am just trying to come up with random ideas. Since I read about that DV IQ stuff, I figured LG might updated the Dolby Vision software/firmware blob in the system firmware packages of all the supported (still regularly updated) TV models (which support DV and "as is" received from Dolby). So it might not be DV IQ at work but a DV update in general.

post #3757 of 3757 Old 07-02-2020, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, it's an interesting (very random!) idea but they haven't changed that no. (I'm not overthinking anything - I wrote that, and asked those questions, only because you said "the Dolby Vision IQ" update, implying that there had been one ).

I know that the "Dolby_vision" module - visible on the "About this TV" menu - has been version "1.5.0_17.00" ever since firmware v4.10.05 (Sep 2018). It wasn't even mentioned in LG's release notes, so whatever the changes were in that Dolby module they were internal to Dolby. Before that firmware, it was 1.5.0_16.00 from the time I had the TV.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page