2018 LG OLED Calibration and User Settings (No price talk) - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2553Likes

post #601 of 3757 Old 05-12-2018, 03:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJoker View Post
Like promised here are my thoughts after my last calibration run with the latest CalMAN version.

The Grayscale AutoCAL run was finished after 16 minutes with a dE threshold of 0.5 and I can't see any difference to 0.2 threshold which needs 42 minutes. So the extra time isn't worth it.

After the the roll out I manually adjust the top end in a couple of minutes and two red series because they were a bit off and so I also was able to get rid of the bump at the 90s IRE

Then I started the 3D LUT with 1100p which took a bit more than 60 minutes

I recently checked the sweeps grayscale etc. and I had again the problem that the internal points are not align with points that CM upload which ended up in 107% gamut coverage which causes many problems especially with real content. Because nice looking charts don't telling the truth at all and they aren't even good looking check the chroma at 100% saturation

Here the Coverage

Just to be clear I unplugged the TV holder the power button for 20 seconds with no success. The points aren't aligned and everyone here has the same problem and nothing happens I can't understand that! This software isn't cheap and I want a reaction and the promise that these things get resolved this is a scam to the customers who brought this TV because of the calibration capabilities.

Tyler you can ignore me and my questions of course but everyone who is using this have these frustrating problems I'm really curious how long portrait display will ignoring there customers.

This is the normal gamut of the cinema mode

I think I said enough everyone who want accurate picture and also safe a lot of money and time just use the Technicolor presets they are pretty good OOTB. Don't waste your time like I did you get ignored and nothing happens. They should give the reward from the CES back for their innovating 3D LUT AutoCal feature

✌️
Thank you very much @BlackJoker for share your personal calibrations results and for all the time you're dedicated to do this.

As you well also know we spent a lot time too with LG's 2016 Oled with manual Calibration and also with 3DLUT with eecolor.

I was wondering and hopefully about this new C8 LG Oled's because watching at the news from CES2018 it was very interesting the fact of the Autocal feature for saving time during calibration, and for the great feature LG Displays implement in this new series the possibility to upload directly in the TV a 3DLUT.

Unfortunately none of this "innovation features" works as is suppose to be, and this is a really a bad news

Speaking with @BlackJoker in PM my personal conclusion is for those who lives in Europe to choose the new Panasonic FZ series. I know in the U.S. is not possible to get one because is out of the market and I also know it hasn't come with DV, I'm don't really care about DV anyways.. To me the most important thing is a good TV should be able to calibrate it easily get a really good dE's and PQ.

In the other hand Sony without CMS are doing a really great job without all this stuff!

Cheers!
BlackJoker and robbeh81 like this.

TV LG 55B6v SB Samsung F355 TV2-Monitor Samsung UE32C6510 ColorimeterX-Rite EODIS3 i1 Display Pro (Rev B-02 Profiled by JETI 1211) Pattern Generator Raspberry Pi3 3DLUT BOX Truvue eeColor Router Netgear R7000+Open DD-WRT MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2009 SSD+HDD Console XboxOne S 1TB GoW4 Bundle Blu-ray Player Sony UBP-X800 - Panasonic DMP-UB310
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 3757 Old 05-12-2018, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by natjencks View Post
Ok, so I'm getting a little frustrated. After running 3DLUT runs all day yesterday, none of them seem to have an effect (or at least the correct effect) on the LG.

Saturation is still WAY to high and out of gamut. It looks like its still in native gamut or something, not Rec709.

I just want to calibrate for regular SDR Rec709.

Using a Klien K10A with offsets custom built for this display using a PR670 spectro, Latest version of Calman Ultimate, Latest firmware on the LGC8. Pattern Gen is DaVinci resolve.

It almost seems like the LUT isn't being applied. I have tried unplugging the TV many times, and still not success.

Images of the wrong color gamut attached.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Man, mine looks like yours. We‘re in real big trouble here.
BlackJoker likes this.

LG OLED C8
Calman 5 Home Enthusiast
i1Display (post 2017) profiled with i1Pro
VF HDMI, HDFury Integral, HDFury Linker
post #603 of 3757 Old 05-12-2018, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbeh81 View Post
Man, mine looks like yours. We‘re in real big trouble here.

Like many others it's really a mess I will proof with eecolor that CalMAN is the problem during upload of the 3D LUT stay tuned.

TV: LG OLED 65C8 Sources: Apple TV 4K, OPPO UDP-203 Video Processor: TruVue eeColor
Probe: Klein K10-A, i1 Display Pro OEM Rev.B (2018), i1Pro2 OEM Rev.E Software: Lightspace HTP, Calman 2019 Ultimate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 3757 Old 05-12-2018, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Like many others it's really a mess I will proof with eecolor that CalMAN is the problem during upload of the 3D LUT stay tuned.
Many Thanks for the effort you put in here, but validation and verification of the workflows, also with different hardware/meter setups, must have been Spectracal‘s work, not yours. Sad, that the users have to proof Spectracal their software having issues ...

LG OLED C8
Calman 5 Home Enthusiast
post #605 of 3757 Old 05-12-2018, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 6258 Post(s)
Liked: 9106
Quote:
Originally Posted by L30Z3N View Post
Speaking with @BlackJoker in PM my personal conclusion is for those who lives in Europe to choose the new Panasonic FZ series. I know in the U.S. is not possible to get one because is out of the market and I also know it hasn't come with DV, I'm don't really care about DV anyways.. To me the most important thing is a good TV should be able to calibrate it easily get a really good dE's and PQ.
I read this thread as an interested amateur enthusiast, with one eye on future TV purchases. My jaw is dropping at the pictures posted by users here with flat lines and ludicrously low deltaE's and I'm full of envy. You are incredibly lucky. Having access to the TV's internal LUTs is a game-changer as far as I am concerned and this TV is only the first, and has only been available for a few weeks. My personal opinion is that it's too early to draw any conclusions particularly where people have said some issues will be addressed. If the situation is still the same in 6 months' time it would be different, but it's just too soon.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #606 of 3757 Old 05-12-2018, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
I read this thread as an interested amateur enthusiast, with one eye on future TV purchases. My jaw is dropping at the pictures posted by users here with flat lines and ludicrously low deltaE's and I'm full of envy. You are incredibly lucky. Having access to the TV's internal LUTs is a game-changer as far as I am concerned and this TV is only the first, and has only been available for a few weeks. My personal opinion is that it's too early to draw any conclusions particularly where people have said some issues will be addressed. If the situation is still the same in 6 months' time it would be different, but it's just too soon.
Yeah, you are right, changes will come in the future and issues will be resolved. But don‘t forget, this is software, we paid for and it is sold as stable, not as beta. One of their main features advertised is the capability to do 3D LUTs for LG and obviously this does not work as intended. So the question arises if they have ever tested these new features or were they forced to release the LG Autocal feature on time in an unfinished state? People, including me, have invested a handsome of money to get into Autocal and now see, that it is hard to get any valid result from it.

LG OLED C8
Calman 5 Home Enthusiast

Last edited by robbeh81; 05-12-2018 at 05:01 AM.
post #607 of 3757 Old 05-12-2018, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The past showed that nothing will happen look back to Samsung and AutoCal feature only problems and nothing fixed. The profiling bug a user discovered tooled 6 months to resolve the issue! And Tyler isn't answering any of our questions which isnt okay at all. The customers are the beta tester in this particular case. A company has to test themselves before releasing such an expensive piece of software. They promised so much but they don't deliver anything.

As you can see it's nice to have access to the internal LUT but the results isn't nice at all so it's better not to use the internal LUT. So why promoting it and also get a reward for it .... It's beyond ridiculous.
L30Z3N likes this.

TV: LG OLED 65C8 Sources: Apple TV 4K, OPPO UDP-203 Video Processor: TruVue eeColor
Probe: Klein K10-A, i1 Display Pro OEM Rev.B (2018), i1Pro2 OEM Rev.E Software: Lightspace HTP, Calman 2019 Ultimate
post #608 of 3757 Old 05-12-2018, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So the question arises if they have ever tested these new features or were they forced to release the LG Autocal feature on time in an unfinished state?

Portrait Display got prototypes from LG long before the official release to test the implementation and that is the result.
L30Z3N likes this.

post #609 of 3757 Old 05-12-2018, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Hi, I Agree with the fact it maybe in time all this issues will be fixed.(we hope) but the LG C8 OLED series ins't the first TV to bring this features .

I'm agree with everyone else in here about someone has to give them technical support as soon as possible. CalMAN software isn't free to nobody to develop something it suppose to work properly. 3DLUT's speaking, is also known CalMAN software has some serious problems with Big iRP 3DLUT's specially with this new displays W-OLED's where maybe after a 3DLUT creation it brigns an amazing dE's results but visually speaking it has full of near black Banding issues, IMHO!.

The only feature with 3DLUT are working good without issues is the lightning LUT option, at the end is the only way to "do the job" in a few minutes even with old model like mine with Eecolor. I got so far better results in comparison with those graphs. And we're only speaking just with one picture mode known as SDR REC.709.
robbeh81 likes this.

TV LG 55B6v SB Samsung F355 TV2-Monitor Samsung UE32C6510 ColorimeterX-Rite EODIS3 i1 Display Pro (Rev B-02 Profiled by JETI 1211) Pattern Generator Raspberry Pi3 3DLUT BOX Truvue eeColor Router Netgear R7000+Open DD-WRT MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2009 SSD+HDD Console XboxOne S 1TB GoW4 Bundle Blu-ray Player Sony UBP-X800 - Panasonic DMP-UB310

Last edited by L30Z3N; 05-12-2018 at 07:35 AM.
post #610 of 3757 Old 05-12-2018, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Some of us, including me, have seen those spurious patterns in the past. For me it was a wrong setting with Video vs. PC so try setting 16-235 instead of 0-255. Might work.
Thanks for the suggestions. Sorry i wasn't clear. "PC" is when i change the input name to PC. I'm still using 16-235 as full 0-255 isn't support yet by autocal.

Changing icon/name to PC shuts off a bunch of stuff to lower input lag. The gaming presets are stunningly bad, but using "PC" and a ISF PM let you still do tweaks. Autocal can do a better job doing greyscale than i can so it would be great if that works. It kinda does till around 30%.. then it starts changing some greys to colors. Which is real bad.

TV: LG OLED77C9 | Receiver Denon X8500H | AMP: PrimaLuna EVO 400 | Speakers: ELAC Vela FS407.2, CC401.2, BS403.2, Carina BS243.4, 2x SVS SB-3000
HTPC: i9-10980XE @ 5.0ghz, DDR4 32gigs, Intel Optane 960gb x2, Nvidia 2080 ti (SLI)
Sources:Oppo UDP-203,Tivo Bolt+,Xbox One X,PlayStation 4 Pro,Switch,Bluesound node 2i
CalMan Enthusiast, SpectraCal C6-HDR, VideoForge Pro | Control: Logitech Harmony Elite

Last edited by zielin; 05-12-2018 at 12:43 PM.
post #611 of 3757 Old 05-12-2018, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1598
Quote:
The past showed that nothing will happen look back to Samsung and AutoCal feature only problems and nothing fixed. The profiling bug a user discovered tooled 6 months to resolve the issue! And Tyler isn't answering any of our questions which isnt okay at all. The customers are the beta tester in this particular case. A company has to test themselves before releasing such an expensive piece of software. They promised so much but they don't deliver anything.

As you can see it's nice to have access to the internal LUT but the results isn't nice at all so it's better not to use the internal LUT. So why promoting it and also get a reward for it .... It's beyond ridiculous.
Please don't forget that your other calibration software provider took four months to deliver a beta of the new color engine they had promised and that you were bragging about back in November without having ever used it yourself. You honestly have no real idea if or how much the issues you are describing are hardware or software (CalMAN and/or LG firmware) related. If Spectracal did indeed have prototypes to work on - as you have claimed - you must understand that that there can be a great deal of difference between prototype units and final line production in both their hardware and their software, and even after production starts. Recently, a particular brand and model of oscilloscope had a manufacturing change when there was a small irregularity switching between certain input voltage ranges due to out of tolerance components. An oscilloscope is a precision measurement instrument. A TV is not. If such things can happen there, what can we expect?
Finally, electronics manufacturers can be extremely close-mouthed and guarded about their designs and firmware, as we 2016 Samsung KS-series owners have painfully learned in the past two years. Every change has to be approved by senior execs in Korea no matter how much a regional subsidiary may want it. Since this gives unprecedented access to the inner workings of a TV, and could expose proprietary information, it's possible that every little necessary change to make this work - on LG's part at least - has to go up that chain for approval.
jrref and mrtickleuk like this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 05-12-2018 at 07:12 AM.
post #612 of 3757 Old 05-12-2018, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

i don't get it. i'm getting wildly different results today than yesterday.

I gave up on use "PC" named input. So today's project was to get the gaming PM a go again. Yesterday when it tried this the PM sucked and trying to calibrated it super failed. But today. the PM is "fine" and autocal is having no problem with it.

I'm worried that something is wacky there. Hell, if autocal fails to do the job, having access to the DCC controls is still a big deal.
Maybe it is the VF pro? the 1.04 firmware is new. Anyone else here using it?
I'm so confused how each day i try this autocal is acting differently.

----
EDIT: Oh, is see. Something goes wrong with the TV after a calibration. It gets stuck in one PM. Everyone should confirm via changing PM that something is changing. After calibrating and restarting the TV is it back to normal.
*sigh* now i need to do all this stuff again.

TV: LG OLED77C9 | Receiver Denon X8500H | AMP: PrimaLuna EVO 400 | Speakers: ELAC Vela FS407.2, CC401.2, BS403.2, Carina BS243.4, 2x SVS SB-3000
HTPC: i9-10980XE @ 5.0ghz, DDR4 32gigs, Intel Optane 960gb x2, Nvidia 2080 ti (SLI)
Sources:Oppo UDP-203,Tivo Bolt+,Xbox One X,PlayStation 4 Pro,Switch,Bluesound node 2i
CalMan Enthusiast, SpectraCal C6-HDR, VideoForge Pro | Control: Logitech Harmony Elite

Last edited by zielin; 05-12-2018 at 12:44 PM.
post #613 of 3757 Old 05-12-2018, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
Please don't forget that your other calibration software provider took four months to deliver a beta of the new color engine they had promised and that you were bragging about back in November without having ever used it yourself. You honestly have no real idea if or how much the issues you are describing are hardware or software (CalMAN and/or LG firmware) related. If Spectracal did indeed have prototypes to work on - as you have claimed - you must understand that that there can be a great deal of difference between prototype units and final line production in both their hardware and their software, and even after production starts. Recently, a particular brand and model of oscilloscope had a manufacturing change when there was a small irregularity switching between certain input voltage ranges due to out of tolerance components. An oscilloscope is a precision measurement instrument. A TV is not. If such things can happen there, what can we expect?

Finally, electronics manufacturers can be extremely close-mouthed and guarded about their designs and firmware, as we 2016 Samsung KS-series owners have painfully learned in the past two years. Every change has to be approved by senior execs in Korea no matter how much a regional subsidiary may want it. Since this gives unprecedented access to the inner workings of a TV, and could expose proprietary information, it's possible that every little necessary change to make this work - on LG's part at least - has to go up that chain for approval.

You really missing the point here. First of all LS offered a free update to all users and CM wants anual fees just like this year to support LG AutoCal calibration and it's not working. They had their own test group inside the company and they didn't have to fix something it was just a free improvement to all users and they released it after everything was working fine. I was one of the beta testers and can say that Steve is in deep contact with his customers and is always willing to improve his program further. Why is Tyler answering none of our questions do you know that also? And as you can read I'm not the only one who has questions. I'm very experienced with 3D LUT calibration for many years now and I'm not new to this topic. Ive calibrated successful many 2016 OLED models with the help of the eecolor and Lightspace and I didn't had any problems. Good charts mean nothing I can clearly see artifacts and I aimed only 1100p. If you don't trust me and my experience what does Vincent saying about CM and 3D LUT calibration? He says it's better to use manual calibration because 3D LUT it's not worth it and causes artifacts. I'm a customer and not a tester. I will prove easily that CalMAN is the problem after my eecolor calibration and I will use CalMAN for calculation to show that during upload something wents wrong.
dlj11 and L30Z3N like this.

post #614 of 3757 Old 05-12-2018, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 6258 Post(s)
Liked: 9106
Quote:
Having access to the TV's internal LUTs is a game-changer as far as I am concerned and this TV is only the first, and has only been available for a few weeks.
Quote:
Since this gives unprecedented access to the inner workings of a TV, and could expose proprietary information, it's possible that every little necessary change to make this work - on LG's part at least - has to go up that chain for approval.
That was my understanding too, "unprecedented" meaning "never done or known before".

Quote:
Originally Posted by L30Z3N View Post
Hi, I Agree with the fact it maybe in time all this issues will be fixed.(we hope) but the LG C8 OLED series ins't the first TV to bring this features .
Really, in that case I would like to learn, please name the earlier make and model of televisions which provide calibration software low-level access to their internal LUTs.

NB: I was never discussing the "Autocal" function, which no-one is claiming is new.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #615 of 3757 Old 05-12-2018, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

I checked also the report from mkoper which he attached a few pages earlier and I saw the exact same problems which me and many others have. He is a professional calibrator and he uses only the best gear but this doesn't help to achieve good results with CalMAN.

I discovered the exact same error I posted at 15 IRE and like many others of my questions still needs to be answered and by the way I didn't get also a answer via email.

15 IRE issue

Red and cyan goes through the roof same like mine and the other C8 I calibrated

I brought this TV because of announcement at the CES and now I couldn't be more disappointed.

post #616 of 3757 Old 05-12-2018, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You really missing the point here. First of all LS offered a free update to all users and CM wants anual fees just like this year to support LG AutoCal calibration and it's not working. They had their own test group inside the company and they didn't have to fix something it was just a free improvement to all users and they released it after everything was working fine. I was one of the beta testers and can say that Steve is in deep contact with his customers and is always willing to improve his program further. Why is Tyler answering none of our questions do you know that also? And as you can read I'm not the only one who has questions. I'm very experienced with 3D LUT calibration for many years now and I'm not new to this topic. Ive calibrated successful many 2016 OLED models with the help of the eecolor and Lightspace and I didn't had any problems. Good charts mean nothing I can clearly see artifacts and I aimed only 1100p. If you don't trust me and my experience what does Vincent saying about CM and 3D LUT calibration? He says it's better to use manual calibration because 3D LUT it's not worth it and causes artifacts. I'm a customer and not a tester. I will prove easily that CalMAN is the problem after my eecolor calibration and I will use CalMAN for calculation to show that during upload something wents wrong.
Im really not missing the point.

I'm also an LS customer, and a beta tester for their software (actually, any LS owner can be). And I do appreciate their support. Like you, I also have experience with 3D LUTs, in the 3 Radiance processors I own. But the Radiance and eeColor are standalone units, having no real integration, hardware or otherwise, with the displays connected to them. The LG OLEDs are a whole different animal, having their LUTs as part and parcel of their internal video pipeline. Notice that we don't have any access to the factory LUT. Instead the LUTs uploaded go into separate memory slots. So we don't know how LG configures their default LUT. Does it contain null sections at the high and low end? Does the TV itself implement the default and uploaded LUTs differently? Tyler's apparent silence may be due to an NDA with LG. Or not. I'm just saying that we don't know all the details. You don't know all the details.

I never said that I didn't trust your experience, or that you're the only one having problems. But you are on a soapbox with a megaphone stating essentially that everything is Spectracal's fault. I spent too many years in aircraft maintenance to believe that technical problems in complex systems are etched in black and white. I don't think there is enough information right now to say for sure.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #617 of 3757 Old 05-12-2018, 10:45 AM

Tyler, on your request some days ago I sent the 1D grayscale result of my Dolby Vision calibration which resulted in too high luminosity. Unfortunatly you didn‘t come back with an answer or suggestion. Could you please come back to this topic with an answer? Thanks.
BlackJoker and L30Z3N like this.

LG OLED C8
Calman 5 Home Enthusiast
post #618 of 3757 Old 05-12-2018, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
But you are on a soapbox with a megaphone stating essentially that everything is Spectracal's fault. I spent too many years in aircraft maintenance to believe that technical problems in complex systems are etched in black and white. I don't think there is enough information right now to say for sure.

Thats absolutely true I use my voice and this forum with the hope that Spectracal LG or both start to say something to their customers who brought the software and the TV. Furthermore I hope that they came back to us with solutions that work and not let us do all the work.

We will see how many other will run into the same and maybe new problems. I said already enough I think.

Never say never
dlj11 and L30Z3N like this.

post #619 of 3757 Old 05-12-2018, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thats absolutely true I use my voice and this forum with the hope that Spectracal LG or both start to say something to their customers who brought the software and the TV. Furthermore I hope that they came back to us with solutions that work and not let us do all the work.

We will see how many other will run into the same and maybe new problems. I said already enough I think.

Never say never
Fair enough. I'll leave it at that as well.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #620 of 3757 Old 05-12-2018, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2767 Post(s)
Liked: 4994
Ok, so after being away for a month, I’m back on the forum. I see you all have discovered some of the issues I’ve seen over the last 1.5 months with the C8 and CalMan. Give me a few hours to catch up and I’ll see how I can help you all out.
Nugget, htwaits, LeRoyK and 8 others like this.
post #621 of 3757 Old 05-12-2018, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 3505 Post(s)
Liked: 4502
Quote:
Having access to the TV's internal LUTs is a game-changer as far as I am concerned and this TV is only the first, and has only been available for a few weeks. My personal opinion is that it's too early to draw any conclusions particularly where people have said some issues will be addressed. If the situation is still the same in 6 months' time it would be different, but it's just too soon.
Hi,

The truth is that LG is not the first company which offering a consumer model with 3D LUT uploading, its the second company, since you can upload already an 66-Point 3D LUT (287496 Color Points) to Panasonic EZ1000 for SDR and HDR10. Much larger 3D LUT Cube size from LGs 33-Point (35937 Points) where it has 3D LUT for SDR only. Panasonic released at 2017 and its the same model for 2018 also (it hasn't replaced), its a monitor installed to many post-production houses as client view (not mastering monitor).

Panasonic has open format, you can use whatever software you like (which export Davinci Resolve cube file format 3D LUTs), just you save the table to an SD card and you upload to the TV, so you have backup to your hands, while you can use CalMAN or LightSpace....freedom for all....to use whatever meter/pattern generator/software each one has.

This is what all companies have to do....give freedom to user to use whatever he has, not add a feature which is locked to specific software only.

LG has locked that 3D LUT upload feature to CalMAN users only, there a lot of users which are using already DisplayCAL or LightSpace, it will be good idea if LG will give an open-format support, to specify a file format which will accept and give the capability to the user to use any software he prefers for cube generation, exact the same what Panasonic is doing already.

LG has to provide a free utility to upload or export from inside the display the 1D/3D LUT tables, so the users to use whatever software they want (free or the one they have already bought, the one they are more familiar with already and satisfied).

Also export feature is useful for those who don't have their own meters, when the pro calibrator they will hire will generate/upload the 1D/3D LUT tables to the TV, to be able to keep backup these correction tables from any problem during future firmware update or reset to factory defaults of the display (from normal menu), to be able to upload again the correction tables to the display again.

For DDC of internal calibration controls, Panasonic has already out a free application anyone can download for iOs where you can DDC using a iPhone/iPad etc.

Panasonic EZ1000 is calibration software agnostic, you just save the 1D/3D LUT to an SD card and you upload it to the display.

If LG can provide a LUT upload utility and describe what LUT format it will need then it will be possible to use other software for 1D/3D LUT generation, like DisplayCAL/ArgyllCMS/LightSpace since only an upload will be required, no other connection with TV.

It's something users have to start asking LG directly about this... for the users to have plenty of options for any pocket.

LG has to be more flexible, this will increase their panel sales also because thousand of users are using free manual cal or other display characterization solutions already.

LightIllusion would be happy to work with LG to provide working 3D LUT calibration. Light Illusion have spoken to LG, but so far the required information has not been provided.

LG would need to provide necessary information to Light Illusion to enable direct access to the 3D LUTs within the display, as LightSpace already has for many displays, such as the Dolby professional monitors (as used for Dolby Vision HDR grading), Canon professional monitors, FSI (Flanders Scientific Inc.) displays, Eizo, NEC, Konvision, BON, Craltech, Kroma, TVlogic, etc... (See: https://www.lightillusion.com/partners.html).

But if LG release stand-alone utility, the LUT format LG is using internally is already supported by current LightSpace (3dl file with 33-Point Cube and 12bit values), once LG will provide an upload utility, it will require only to export and upload internally to the display from current LightSpace version.
dlj11, sat4all, BlackJoker and 3 others like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration S/W: LightSpace ZRO / HCFR
S/W: ColourSpace INF, LightSpace XTP, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, ChromaPure
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box P/G: Murideo Six-G, DVDO AVLab TPG
Meter: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 05-12-2018 at 02:54 PM.
post #622 of 3757 Old 05-12-2018, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good charts mean nothing I can clearly see artifacts and I aimed only 1100p. If you don't trust me and my experience what does Vincent saying about CM and 3D LUT calibration? He says it's better to use manual calibration because 3D LUT it's not worth it and causes artifacts.
Quote:
My jaw is dropping at the pictures posted by users here with flat lines and ludicrously low deltaE's and I'm full of envy.
Look what I have posted back in January: ''The most important is to see if LG internally handles that correction perfectly (without introducing issues/problems), so the success is not exactly only the announcement (which sounds great as news), but the verification of a consumer LG 2018 calibrated using internal 3D LUT for SDR.''

The wonderful and low dE charts is not telling the whole story, It will require post verification with patterns to check for issues and to look real content also.

Because still pictures are not so good idea to spot for issues, I will post what I saw when I loaded the CalMAN's 3D LUT file of BlackJoker's inside LightSpace (since LightSpace already support that 3D LUT Format LG is using internally). I used LUT Preview tool, where you can load your reference pictures and software is applying the 3D LUT values to the pictures, so you can spot very easy (and without taking any meter measurement) for issues. I used some PNG files I have from my calibration disk patterns. The same issues the user BlackJoker will see when he will load the exact same patterns from my calibration disk to his display.

To make comparison simpler, I created Animated PNG files, not all browsers support these files, FireFox I use support them, so below you will see original picture followed by CalMAN's 3D LUT applied to the picture:

If any user experiencing issues, he can send me his 3dl file CalMAN generates and I can check for issues.

That method of testing with LUT Preview can show issues with generated 3D LUT correction, what issues will be added due to internal processing/mapping inside to the TV can't be spotted with that method I posted. But its a good way to test if the generated 3D LUT table don't have issues before you upload to any external 3D LUT Box or internally to the display.
loggeo, BlackJoker, L30Z3N and 2 others like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration S/W: LightSpace ZRO / HCFR
S/W: ColourSpace INF, LightSpace XTP, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, ChromaPure

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 06-19-2018 at 05:28 AM.
post #623 of 3757 Old 05-12-2018, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

2018 LG OLED Calibration and User Settings (No price talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Look what I have posted back in January: ''The most important is to see if LG internally handles that correction perfectly (without introducing issues/problems), so the success is not exactly only the announcement (which sounds great as news), but the verification of a consumer LG 2018 calibrated using internal 3D LUT for SDR.''

The wonderful and low dE charts is not telling the whole story, It will require post verification with patterns to check for issues and to look real content also.

Because still pictures are not so good idea to spot for issues, I will post what I saw when I loaded the CalMAN's 3D LUT file of BlackJoker's inside LightSpace (since LightSpace already support that 3D LUT Format LG is using internally). I used LUT Preview tool, where you can load your reference pictures and software is applying the 3D LUT values to the pictures, so you can spot very easy (and without taking any meter measurement) for issues. I used some PNG files I have from my calibration disk patterns. The same issues the user BlackJoker will see when he will load the exact same patterns from my calibration disk to his display.

To make comparison simpler, I created Animated PNG files, not all browsers support these files, FireFox I use support them, so below you will see original picture followed by CalMAN's 3D LUT applied to the picture:

If any user experiencing issues, he can send me his 3dl file CalMAN generates and I can check for issues.

That method of testing with LUT Preview can show issues with generated 3D LUT correction, what issues will be added due to internal processing/mapping inside to the TV can't be spotted with that method I posted. But its a good way to test if the generated 3D LUT table don't have issues before you upload to any external 3D LUT Box or internally to the display.

Thanks Ted for checking my files hope everyone can see now that this is no Mickey mouse stuff. There are serious problems meanwhile I checked the calibration from yesterday with 1100p. Near Black is full of artifacts and desaturated colors especially red tones.

I can see the same problems with the help of Ted's calibration disk.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

post #624 of 3757 Old 05-12-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks Ted for checking my files hope everyone can see now that this is no Mickey mouse stuff. There are serious problems meanwhile I checked the calibration from yesterday with 1100p. Near Black is full of artifacts and desaturated colors especially red tones.

I can see the same problems with the help of Ted's calibration disk.
Unfotunately, these artifact issues have existed for years within CalMan. Post calibration charts look great, but real content and test patterns, like Ted’s disc, don’t jive with the charts.

As I recommended last month, do not create a LUT with greater than 3000 points with CalMan. More often than not, it will cause artifacts in test patterns/real content and the program can and will crash (6000+ points crashes 85% of the time).
post #625 of 3757 Old 05-12-2018, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwondrak32 View Post
Hey Tyler. I don't know if this is related or not but I just went in and tried to Auto Cal my HDR (only did SDR and DV last night) and everything was running good until the 15% square came up and it the background all of a sudden was blue which of course dramatically skewed the readings. Ended up turning all picture to a blue tint...have you seen this before?? I attached the pictures for reference.
Was there ever a fix/work around for this?

I'm seeing the same thing. Both of us are using a c6 and VF pro.
Wjboshart likes this.

post #626 of 3757 Old 05-12-2018, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 1989 Post(s)
Liked: 2576
Quote:
Like promised here are my thoughts after my last calibration run with the latest CalMAN version.

The Grayscale AutoCAL run was finished after 16 minutes with a dE threshold of 0.5 and I can't see any difference to 0.2 threshold which needs 42 minutes. So the extra time isn't worth it.

After the the roll out I manually adjust the top end in a couple of minutes and two red series because they were a bit off and so I also was able to get rid of the bump at the 90s IRE

Then I started the 3D LUT with 1100p which took a bit more than 60 minutes

I recently checked the sweeps grayscale etc. and I had again the problem that the internal points are not align with points that CM upload which ended up in 107% gamut coverage which causes many problems especially with real content. Because nice looking charts don't telling the truth at all and they aren't even good looking check the chroma at 100% saturation

Here the Coverage

Just to be clear I unplugged the TV holder the power button for 20 seconds with no success. The points aren't aligned and everyone here has the same problem and nothing happens I can't understand that! This software isn't cheap and I want a reaction and the promise that these things get resolved this is a scam to the customers who brought this TV because of the calibration capabilities.

Tyler you can ignore me and my questions of course but everyone who is using this have these frustrating problems I'm really curious how long portrait display will ignoring there customers.

This is the normal gamut of the cinema mode

I think I said enough everyone who want accurate picture and also safe a lot of money and time just use the Technicolor presets they are pretty good OOTB. Don't waste your time like I did you get ignored and nothing happens. They should give the reward from the CES back for their innovating 3D LUT AutoCal feature

✌️

I’m sorry you feel that way. Our users in Hollywood are quite happy with the results they are getting with 5,000 to 10,000 points of measurements for the 3D LUT. I wouldn’t do less than 3000 points even on a plasma TV. What made you choose 1100 points?

We are always working to improve things. This was a very ambitious project as no other TV manufacturer has opened up the video pipeline to their display in such an extensive manner before.

With this unprecedented access there are some growing pains, which we don’t deny and we are working towards Improving the usability.

Tyler
BlueChris likes this.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - Portrait Displays/Calman
post #627 of 3757 Old 05-12-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
Our users in Hollywood are quite happy with the results they are getting with 5,000 to 10,000 points of measurements for the 3D LUT. I wouldn’t do less than 3000 points even on a plasma TV. What made you choose 1100 points?
Can you provide any insight as to what methodology/setup (i.e. meter, input signal type, pattern size, pattern insertion settings, verification process) they are using?
ConnecTEDDD, jrref and L30Z3N like this.
post #628 of 3757 Old 05-13-2018, 12:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi,

The truth is that LG is not the first company which offering a consumer model with 3D LUT uploading, its the second company, since you can upload already an 66-Point 3D LUT (287496 Color Points) to Panasonic EZ1000 for SDR and HDR10. Much larger 3D LUT Cube size from LGs 33-Point (35937 Points) where it has 3D LUT for SDR only. Panasonic released at 2017 and its the same model for 2018 also (it hasn't replaced), its a monitor installed to many post-production houses as client view (not mastering monitor).
Hi Ted,
are you saying that the upload capability will still be present on FZ950 and FZ800 series?
post #629 of 3757 Old 05-13-2018, 01:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger.miki View Post
Hi Ted,
are you saying that the upload capability will still be present on FZ950 and FZ800 series?
Hi, only EZ100x has 3D LUT capability.
L30Z3N likes this.

post #630 of 3757 Old 05-13-2018, 01:19 AM
Advanced Member

2018 LG OLED Calibration and User Settings (No price talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
I’m sorry you feel that way. Our users in Hollywood are quite happy with the results they are getting with 5,000 to 10,000 points of measurements for the 3D LUT. I wouldn’t do less than 3000 points even on a plasma TV. What made you choose 1100 points?

We are always working to improve things. This was a very ambitious project as no other TV manufacturer has opened up the video pipeline to their display in such an extensive manner before.

With this unprecedented access there are some growing pains, which we don’t deny and we are working towards Improving the usability.

Tyler

I'm glad to hear that the users in Hollywood are quite happy with the results the home Enthusiast are not. Like D-Nice is saying I could never use more than 3500p without a crash so Im interested to in the exact setup the studios are using. I choose 1100p because many tests showed that less points results in a better quality with patterns and real content. Unfortunately even with my small lut of 1100p I can clearly see artifacts especially in the midtones near Black.

I've never expected that you don't deny growing pains many home Enthusiast and even though professional are claiming.

Looking forward and like always I'm really curious what the future will bring us.
ConnecTEDDD, jrref and L30Z3N like this.

Last edited by BlackJoker; 05-14-2018 at 01:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page