2018 LG OLED Calibration and User Settings (No price talk) - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2553Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #811 of 3755 Old 06-05-2018, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rolls-Royce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victorville, CA
Posts: 4,816
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Liked: 1586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger.miki View Post
@WiFi-Spy so I guess the gamut bug is related to videoscale. Right?
You mean video levels? Maybe yes, maybe no. As he said, it's a workaround for the Matrix LUT, not for the full 3D LUT itself.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
Rolls-Royce is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #812 of 3755 Old 06-05-2018, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ConnecTEDDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 8,841
Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3504 Post(s)
Liked: 4492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
You mean video levels? Maybe yes, maybe no. As he said, it's a workaround for the Matrix LUT, not for the full 3D LUT itself.
Hi Rolls,

The answer is Yes, as Tyler said that using full range matrix LUT (so bypassing videoscale), it can be a quick workaround (for matrix LUT SDR users only) but since matrix LUT is based only to 5 measurements (BWRGB) and has zero volumetric data, it will not fix the issues with CalMAN's 3D LUTs causing banding/artifacts, as explained with graphs/pictures from various users here. So fixing videoscale only is one part of the problem here, but that temp workaround can fix the out of gamut excursions, which in themselves do not not cause picture quality artifacts.

Anyone here is ready to test any upcoming CalMAN release, I can provide again a detailed analysis to see if the issues has been fixed. (if required... but I think any CM+LS owner can do this test, since I explained here how to perform it)

I believe its better from CalMAN side to perform their own tests before a new beta/final version will come out, as the issues are very detailed explained already, and LightSpace helped for that a lot, Tyler thanked LightSpace users for that.

After can fix, CalMAN has to pay attention to provide a complete backup/upload solution for 1D/3D LUT tables.
L30Z3N, mrtickleuk and robbeh81 like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration S/W: LightSpace ZRO / HCFR
S/W: ColourSpace INF, LightSpace XTP, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, ChromaPure
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box P/G: Murideo Six-G, DVDO AVLab TPG
Meter: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A
ConnecTEDDD is offline  
post #813 of 3755 Old 06-05-2018, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rolls-Royce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victorville, CA
Posts: 4,816
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Liked: 1586
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi Rolls,

The answer is Yes, as Tyler said that using full range matrix LUT (so bypassing videoscale), it can be a quick workaround (for matrix LUT SDR users only) but since matrix LUT is based only to 5 measurements (BWRGB) and has zero volumetric data, it will not fix the issues with CalMAN's 3D LUTs causing banding/artifacts, as explained with graphs/pictures from various users here. So fixing videoscale only is one part of the problem here, but that temp workaround can fix the out of gamut excursions, which in themselves do not not cause picture quality artifacts.

Anyone here is ready to test any upcoming CalMAN release, I can provide again a detailed analysis to see if the issues has been fixed. (if required... but I think any CM+LS owner can do this test, since I explained here how to perform it)

I believe its better from CalMAN side to perform their own tests before a new beta/final version will come out, as the issues are very detailed explained already, and LightSpace helped for that a lot, Tyler thanked LightSpace users for that.

After can fix, CalMAN has to pay attention to provide a complete backup/upload solution for 1D/3D LUT tables.
Hi, Ted. I'm equating the term "videoscale" with scaling the picture up or down in terms of number of pixels, not whether one uses levels 0-254 or 16-235. I do understand that the Matrix LUT is essentially flat, more like the usual CMS one sees, with only a single point used for each color. You and Tyler have described it before.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 06-05-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Rolls-Royce is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #814 of 3755 Old 06-05-2018, 08:21 AM
M-V
Member
 
M-V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Hi guys!

Can please anyone tell if there is an document from LG with calibration notes for 2018 models similar to 2016 or 2017 with HDR white balance adjustments points and HDR10 codes? I believe that 2018 WB HDR10 codes are different from 2017 codes, right?
M-V is offline  
post #815 of 3755 Old 06-05-2018, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ConnecTEDDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 8,841
Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3504 Post(s)
Liked: 4492
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-V View Post
Hi guys!

Can please anyone tell if there is an document from LG with calibration notes for 2018 models similar to 2016 or 2017 with HDR white balance adjustments points and HDR10 codes? I believe that 2018 WB HDR10 codes are different from 2017 codes, right?
Hi,

John has posted some 2018 HDR10 codes there: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...l#post56062362
jrref and M-V like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration S/W: LightSpace ZRO / HCFR
S/W: ColourSpace INF, LightSpace XTP, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, ChromaPure
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box P/G: Murideo Six-G, DVDO AVLab TPG
Meter: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A
ConnecTEDDD is offline  
post #816 of 3755 Old 06-05-2018, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
Anger.miki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 937
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Thnks Royce, I always appreciate your posts. Videoscale and video levels are the same thing. I know the term “scale” could confuse a bit, but if you think that it is also used in grayscale, it would be more clear its sense.

What Ted says is absolutely shareable, the gamut bug is just one piece of the problem, not even the big one. I hope this is the first step of a glorious run.
L30Z3N likes this.
Anger.miki is online now  
post #817 of 3755 Old 06-05-2018, 09:12 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garknot View Post
I mean there are alot of issues reported and only the easiest one to fix get a response oh we found a bug that no one other could find before.
I mean I am a customer and I am not satisfied with the product and the promises. Alot of bugs in the past won't take any feedback public and alot of bugs getting solved after or in the new subscription periods. I see this behavior now again and I don't like to get treated like this.
You DO realize that another member here is using CM charts to illustrate the results he is getting with a competitor's software package? If the charts themselves were doctored as you have claimed in another post, he likely wouldn't be using them.
Hi Rolls-Royce I didn't know if the other member use the charts for showing how accurate the charts are. Or to show the CM user there good known charts and how well the compitor software works with lut creation. Nevertheless the CM charts are nice because the visual feedback is good understandable and also alot of results are on one chart. I use CM by my self but I didn't rely only on those charts because of the often visual gap between chart and pq in content. And this I was mentioned.
Also LS had in the first as far as I understand problems with the test pattern on oled and fixed this thermal issue with a new patch set new warm up possibility and also some black or any pattern you want to show up. For drift compensation. And all this in a couple of days as far I understand when I follow the thread right in time line.
Garknot is offline  
post #818 of 3755 Old 06-05-2018, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rolls-Royce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victorville, CA
Posts: 4,816
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Liked: 1586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garknot View Post
... Or to show the CM user there good known charts and how well the compitor software works with lut creation....
Also LS had in the first as far as I understand problems with the test pattern on oled and fixed this thermal issue with a new patch set new warm up possibility and also some black or any pattern you want to show up. For drift compensation. And all this in a couple of days as far I understand when I follow the thread right in time line.
Plasmas also have issues with heat and many other displays can/do drift for various reasons. The recent new LS patch set and warmup capability stem from OLED peculiarities, but its drift detection and correction have been around for some time now.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 06-05-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Rolls-Royce is online now  
post #819 of 3755 Old 06-05-2018, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WiFi-Spy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,238
Mentioned: 282 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked: 2559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
Plasmas also have issues with heat and many other displays can/do drift for various reasons. The recent new LS patch set and warmup capability stem from OLED peculiarities, but its drift detection and correction have been around for some time now.


CalMAN was actually the first software that had drift correction, it was added to help with plasma 3D LUTs.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - Portrait Displays/Calman
WiFi-Spy is online now  
post #820 of 3755 Old 06-05-2018, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
BlackJoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 584
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 522
CalMAN is also the first software that seems to work only for users in Hollywood.

Im looking forward for the first bugfix whats about the others that we mentioned?
L30Z3N and Garknot like this.

TV: LG OLED 65C8 Sources: Apple TV 4K, OPPO UDP-203 Video Processor: TruVue eeColor
Probe: Klein K10-A, i1 Display Pro OEM Rev.B (2018), i1Pro2 OEM Rev.E Software: Lightspace HTP, Calman 2019 Ultimate
BlackJoker is offline  
post #821 of 3755 Old 06-05-2018, 11:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post

CalMAN was actually the first software that had drift correction, it was added to help with plasma 3D LUTs.
I will confirm this for the year 2016 but I will suggest in 2015 there was an other software already with that kind of future🔮.
Garknot is offline  
post #822 of 3755 Old 06-05-2018, 11:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garknot View Post
I will confirm this for the year 2016 but I will suggest in 2015 there was an other software already with that kind of future🔮.
should write from mobile 2015 should be read 2016 and between already and with that kind there should be couple of days later....writeing and toothbrushing my children wont work together.

sorry for that. hick up. kids are now in bed.
Garknot is offline  
post #823 of 3755 Old 06-05-2018, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ConnecTEDDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 8,841
Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3504 Post(s)
Liked: 4492
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
CalMAN was actually the first software that had drift correction, it was added to help with plasma 3D LUTs.
Just for providing an accurate info for all, actually ArgyllCMS was the first software added drift compensation some years (2-3) before CalMAN/LightSpace. For HT 3D LUT users, it was possible to use ArgyllCMS for 3D LUT and drift comp. with eeColor from 16 August 2013, because that day released the ArgyllCMS 1.6.0 version which supported a consumer HT external 3D LUT Box (but madVR also).

ArgyllCMS feature has On/Off selection, with fixed number of patches used for drift, no drift plot, not option from measurement data with drift plot to generate a correction without drift plot. (AFIK)

CalMAN released a version (where that feature was under testing) at 7 October 2015: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...l#post37882921

CalMAN has always enabled that feature, there no way to disable it, or to generate a correction with drift and one without drift to see the differences. Also with a display or projector that is very stable and drift patches are not needed, having always enabled the drift patch measurement, this is wasting time only.

* It will be useful if you can add a drift plot for these drift patches CalMAN is using.

LightSpace released an Alpha (working version) at 7 November 2015: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...l#post38729089

LightSpace has on option to set about after how much other patches to measure for a drift patch, from a measurement file with drift data you can generate a correction with or without drift correction, also you have drift plot to do many evaluations.

After testing we have found many useful info for OLED's and 3D LUT comparing drift plots, about how peak output levels affecting panel stability, how the panel performing with different patch sequence...(using patch with relative average luminance, RGB or mix), how pre-roll of patch sets (to prepare the panel by displaying xxx number of patches before starting the measurements) affect the final results, there always a limit of what you can do with these OLED's, just we are trying to find out ways to improve more and more the results.

The end of the day, it doesn't matter so much which feature released first from one software or another, it matters more for each software users to be happy with the software they are using (not only looking dE charts, but with real content and color reproduction patterns to validate for issues after the 3D LUT), and to have more time to watch their movies that trying to figure out how something works and what went wrong, looking for help from forums.
dlj11, L30Z3N, mrtickleuk and 2 others like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration S/W: LightSpace ZRO / HCFR
S/W: ColourSpace INF, LightSpace XTP, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, ChromaPure
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box P/G: Murideo Six-G, DVDO AVLab TPG
Meter: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 06-05-2018 at 01:53 PM. Reason: 1.8.3
ConnecTEDDD is offline  
post #824 of 3755 Old 06-05-2018, 12:42 PM
Member
 
L30Z3N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
CalMAN was actually the first software that had drift correction, it was added to help with plasma 3D LUTs.
Unfortunately the only "Good" thing over the last Spectracal updates provides is good charts only after 3DLUT creations, that's all.
Then watching real contents such as Skyfall opening an other ones, still present a big issues of color Banding and other stuff it can't be fixed, none using CalMAN. This is that many users, enthusiast and professionals are reporting untill today and everyone have experiences over this last years.
The last updates from CalMAN (upgrading license, not free) they're reporting 3DLUT's improvements but color Banding issues are still there very present. A really bad news for those enthusiast calibrators after spent some money to upgrade every year to see and hope this issues will be fixed but in the end isn't working so...

TV LG 55B6v SB Samsung F355 TV2-Monitor Samsung UE32C6510 ColorimeterX-Rite EODIS3 i1 Display Pro (Rev B-02 Profiled by JETI 1211) Pattern Generator Raspberry Pi3 3DLUT BOX Truvue eeColor Router Netgear R7000+Open DD-WRT MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2009 SSD+HDD Console XboxOne S 1TB GoW4 Bundle Blu-ray Player Sony UBP-X800 - Panasonic DMP-UB310
L30Z3N is offline  
post #825 of 3755 Old 06-05-2018, 12:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 9
thanks ted...i didnt fint the threats so fast and didnt remind right. so my 2015 wasnt not only a typo at first...hehe thanks for make this clear.
nevertheless agryllcms bet them all :-D


and again competition is good for the business
Garknot is offline  
post #826 of 3755 Old 06-05-2018, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WiFi-Spy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,238
Mentioned: 282 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked: 2559
Quote:
Originally Posted by L30Z3N View Post
Unfortunately the only "Good" thing over the last Spectracal updates provides is good charts only after 3DLUT creations, that's all.

Then watching real contents such as Skyfall opening an other ones, still present a big issues of color Banding and other stuff it can't be fixed, none using CalMAN. This is that many users, enthusiast and professionals are reporting untill today and everyone have experiences over this last years.

The last updates from CalMAN (upgrading license, not free) they're reporting 3DLUT's improvements but color Banding issues are still there very present. A really bad news for those enthusiast calibrators after spent some money to upgrade every year to see and hope this issues will be fixed but in the end isn't working so...


If you have complaints about CalMAN in general, there is a separate thread for that.
zielin likes this.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - Portrait Displays/Calman
WiFi-Spy is online now  
post #827 of 3755 Old 06-05-2018, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ConnecTEDDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 8,841
Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3504 Post(s)
Liked: 4492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garknot View Post
thanks ted...i didnt fint the threats so fast and didnt remind right. so my 2015 wasnt not only a typo at first...hehe thanks for make this clear.
nevertheless agryllcms bet them all :-D

and again competition is good for the business
I have corrected my post, its from 2013 for ArgyllCMS.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration S/W: LightSpace ZRO / HCFR
S/W: ColourSpace INF, LightSpace XTP, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, ChromaPure
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box P/G: Murideo Six-G, DVDO AVLab TPG
Meter: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A
ConnecTEDDD is offline  
post #828 of 3755 Old 06-05-2018, 02:08 PM
Member
 
L30Z3N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
If you have complaints about CalMAN in general, there is a separate thread for that.
It should be another thread to report too which company was the first one to bring drift features, but this isn't the real point neither in here anyway. we're all here debating about 3DLUT issues using the only software is possible to use into the new LG OLED's are we?
jrref likes this.

TV LG 55B6v SB Samsung F355 TV2-Monitor Samsung UE32C6510 ColorimeterX-Rite EODIS3 i1 Display Pro (Rev B-02 Profiled by JETI 1211) Pattern Generator Raspberry Pi3 3DLUT BOX Truvue eeColor Router Netgear R7000+Open DD-WRT MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2009 SSD+HDD Console XboxOne S 1TB GoW4 Bundle Blu-ray Player Sony UBP-X800 - Panasonic DMP-UB310
L30Z3N is offline  
post #829 of 3755 Old 06-05-2018, 08:06 PM
Member
 
Noloveformac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is it just me, or has this thread been hijacked by Lightspace zealots?

I haven't posted on here for ages, but jeez, I feel compelled to speak up as it's patently obvious that there's a coordinated, concerted and relentless attack by the LS zealots attempting to taint and undermine Calman.
I have no problem with deficiencies being brought to light and constructive discourse, but this is out-of-control. At every turn all you get "Calman is bad" and right after "Lightspace! Lightspace! Lightspace!"

I gotta give credit to the Calman representative (Tyler) for not taking the bait.

As an infrequent (Calman) calibration hobbyist who is interested in Autocal, all I'm getting is unnecessary and unwanted noise. In fact, seeing these attacks just puts me off LS altogether as it reeks of desperation.

There's an already existing thread for complaints about Calman. If you wish to start Calman vs LS thread, do so! But leave this thread alone.
zielin likes this.
Noloveformac is offline  
post #830 of 3755 Old 06-05-2018, 11:11 PM
Member
 
dlj11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noloveformac View Post

There's an already existing thread for complaints about Calman. If you wish to start Calman vs LS thread, do so! But leave this thread alone.
WRONG, this thread has nothing to do with CalMan vs LS. CalMan is the only Software capable of loading custom LUT´s to the 2018 LG´s (this thread is about 2018 LG OLED Calibration), sadly the results are pretty bad. You cannot deny this, the LS comunity here provided VERY useful data - helping to get the CalMan LUT´s better. SpectraCal should be thankful for such great data and input, with this data the CalMan-LUT engine culd be much MUCH MUCH better. Has nothing to do with CalMan vs LS, I dont have LS either but it is no secret that the LS LUT engine is far better than CalMan.

The bigger problem here is that SpectraCal wont admit the obvious, yes they throw some breadcrumbs and sayin we found the oversaturation bug and will fix it soon - this will be enough to get some customers satisfied. But that is the smallest problem, the whole engine and the way it works needs to be redone. D-Nice, ConnecTEDDD, BlackJoker, Anger.miki and so on - they all confirmed this, so you think that these guys dont know what theyre doing??? You know who D-Nice is?? Or ConnecTEDDD is???

Imagine buying an 2018 LG, then you realize yeeeeee I can upload custom LUTs with CalMan. I will buy CalMan for about 400$ and a meter for 200$, let the party begin. The charts will be so pretty, yeeeeee. After uploading the LUT to the TV you will be so flashed to see this great colors - but then after some critical viewing you will start recognizing some bad problems (posterisation, near black handling...). I BET you will p**** off, paying a lot of money and the results are bad. OK you swallow that and want to try another LUT, damn you have to factory reset the TV to get it done again

So be thankful to have such great guys here, they want to get CalMan better - not to bash them. All of them have CalMan, all of them want to help to get it better. They do a lot of research and measuring in their free time to provide this f*** awesome data, they are not paid for this so you can say they are the best beta testers out there cause they do it with passion and love. Cause they are the real purists here, some of them get in trouble with their wifes/girlfriends cause the meter os always ready to do some measurements. I think this DESERVES MASSIVE RESPECT...

Thank you guys for the great work, much appreciated.

Tyler dont be mad at this guys, be thankful as nobody of them really wants to bash CalMan. Many of them said a lot of positive things about CalMan, I can confirm this caus I am using CalMan also. But I also never was really satisfied with the LUT-results. Please listen to them
dlj11 is offline  
post #831 of 3755 Old 06-05-2018, 11:26 PM
Member
 
mrtripleone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I am getting my C8 delivered tomorrow. Does this mean that the tv can’t even be calibrated manually, or just the autocal is not working with Calman?
mrtripleone is offline  
post #832 of 3755 Old 06-05-2018, 11:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Calibration with Autocal works. But need still some manual tweaking after it. So some willtekk then you can do it totally manual. If you Re really confidential and has alexoerience in calibration especially in OLED's then manually calibration is even faster with better results.
The best think is that u can set the brightness etc without TV menu. The lut creation is broken in this state as shown buy users who are passionate and got other software to prove the charts of cm.

So calibration works as before Autocal needs little manual tweaking after. The lut can't be recommended in this early state. But this was always the weak part of CM. But hey it isn't comparing a Porsche with an fiat 500 on the German Autobahn when wlyou will drive fast es hell you won't choose the fiat. So it is with lut creation. But for calibration purpose it is easier with Workflows to reach the goals.and the carts are easier to interpret. So you can calibrate you 2018 LG but not with the main deal bringer the lut.
Garknot is offline  
post #833 of 3755 Old 06-06-2018, 12:00 AM
Member
 
mrtripleone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garknot View Post
Calibration with Autocal works. But need still some manual tweaking after it. So some willtekk then you can do it totally manual. If you Re really confidential and has alexoerience in calibration especially in OLED's then manually calibration is even faster with better results.
The best think is that u can set the brightness etc without TV menu. The lut creation is broken in this state as shown buy users who are passionate and got other software to prove the charts of cm.

So calibration works as before Autocal needs little manual tweaking after. The lut can't be recommended in this early state. But this was always the weak part of CM. But hey it isn't comparing a Porsche with an fiat 500 on the German Autobahn when wlyou will drive fast es hell you won't choose the fiat. So it is with lut creation. But for calibration purpose it is easier with Workflows to reach the goals.and the carts are easier to interpret. So you can calibrate you 2018 LG but not with the main deal bringer the lut.


Sounds good. Thanks!
mrtripleone is offline  
post #834 of 3755 Old 06-06-2018, 12:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 9
If you are not on actual 2018 cm version or on subscription periode and you can sacrifice the osd future and the lut. Then you can stay on old version. Save the money and calibrate like before. Or even use the software you already own what ever it is.
mrtripleone likes this.
Garknot is offline  
post #835 of 3755 Old 06-06-2018, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
Anger.miki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 937
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 772
@Noloveformac your post has enlivened my day, really! You made me laugh sincerely and I thank you for this.

You're right and, generally, I agree with you. However, I do not agree to call "zealots", or label them as such, those who have brought Calman's problems to light, some have done it with a bit of healthy anger, others with surgical precision. Everyone, including Ted, who is the only one to be linked to Lightspace, bought a license from CalMAN and, I for one, we would like to make sense of the money we spent. But the concept was already clear and, in fact, now it is exaggerating a bit, more in tone than in content.

It must be said that the rubber wall erected by the guys of Spectracal it does not help to calm the minds: if @BlackJoker , among other things, says that the upload Lut function does not work and he is answered that it works and can be used to load lut created with any software and in reality with LG TV does not even work to load the Lut made with Calman, it is normal and justified if BlackJoker is soured a little.

Elsewhere I read official statements where it was said that "Calman 3D Lut calibration works how it should work", here are the disjunctions that make a person angry, to be treated as stupid, it is the dog that bites the hand that feeds. Therefore, I totally quote what @dlj11 said and I'd like to add that it is not a war between software or between fans, I see it more like a revolution and the revolutions always start from the bottom. If CalMAN worked really like it should I'd never know what Lightspace is and I would have bought a LG OLED 2018. But THANKS to this forum and these people I didn't and I'm a bit disappointed about how my money (and me) is being treated. But since I'm a positive person I opened a thread to help CM and its customers to meet and try to make things better. So with a white dove holding an olive branch in its beak, I invite CM customers and CM representative to meet HERE and peacefully discuss. We both want the same thing, let's do it.

Two words for @ConnecTEDDD : he is here to help people, very often he also replaces what CM guys should do themselves, helping CM customers. It is not his fault if, reached a certain point, he can only suggest to use another software if someone asks how to have a better Lut.

That said, for the Autocal part this thread is stuck, but there is a lot of news with LS and panel drift that @bobof and others are trying as we speak.

Peace, I love CalMAN as I love Lightspace. I have them both and I PRETEND that both will get better and better... and yes, I love you all... fraternally! LOL

Miki
dlj11, BlackJoker, L30Z3N and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Anger.miki; 06-06-2018 at 01:23 AM.
Anger.miki is online now  
post #836 of 3755 Old 06-06-2018, 02:41 AM
Member
 
Noloveformac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj11 View Post
WRONG, this thread has nothing to do with CalMan vs LS
Well, technically you're wrong because that's exactly what I'm saying.
Noloveformac is offline  
post #837 of 3755 Old 06-06-2018, 02:45 AM
Member
 
Noloveformac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj11 View Post
D-Nice, ConnecTEDDD, BlackJoker, Anger.miki and so on - they all confirmed this, so you think that these guys dont know what theyre doing??? You know who D-Nice is?? Or ConnecTEDDD is???
There is a marked difference between an antagonist and a protagonist. Anyone with basic English comprehension who is following this thread can easily discern who's who.

As I said, no problem highlighting issues, but lets abate with the "Lightspace! Lightspace! Lightspace!" chant, this isn't the thread for it.
Noloveformac is offline  
post #838 of 3755 Old 06-06-2018, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 6,412
Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5318 Post(s)
Liked: 6518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noloveformac View Post
Is it just me, or has this thread been hijacked by Lightspace zealots?

I haven't posted on here for ages, but jeez, I feel compelled to speak up as it's patently obvious that there's a coordinated, concerted and relentless attack by the LS zealots attempting to taint and undermine Calman.
I have no problem with deficiencies being brought to light and constructive discourse, but this is out-of-control. At every turn all you get "Calman is bad" and right after "Lightspace! Lightspace! Lightspace!"

I gotta give credit to the Calman representative (Tyler) for not taking the bait.

As an infrequent (Calman) calibration hobbyist who is interested in Autocal, all I'm getting is unnecessary and unwanted noise. In fact, seeing these attacks just puts me off LS altogether as it reeks of desperation.

There's an already existing thread for complaints about Calman. If you wish to start Calman vs LS thread, do so! But leave this thread alone.
Thanks for the comment since you said it well.

Folks, please no more unproductive posts. If you read the first post in this thread, I outlined the parameters of this thread and now we are well off track.

Here are the "basically" the facts as I see them:
Lightspace is probably always or at least in the near term, going to be more precise than competitive software especially in the area of 3D LUTs.

Although Calman may not be as precise as Lightspace in some respects, it does get the job done. Maybe not reference and reference is very hard to get with Consumer devices even though they have come a long way, still when I ask my pro calibrator colleagues what they use in the field, they mostly all say Calman.

Regardless of what you may think of HDR and DV, Calman has been in the forefront with workflows and capabilities to calibrate these PMs and although they might not be perfect, you can improve the PQ in these PMs with Calman if you know what you are doing. This is a good thing.

Don't blame Spectracal because some TV manufacturers are working with them on Autocal and DV for example. There must be some business and or technical reasoning. The fact they are working with any software company is a good thing. Sure we would like open standards, etc.. but that may not be in the cards for a while.

If you really think about it Autocal is going to evolve. You are trying to mimic a human being and that sometimes gets complicated. Take it from someone with experience knows.


All this said, I feel that the initial comparisons provided by Tedd, D-Nice, etc were productive in finding bugs, etc, but at this point, until we get another release which Tyler said will be "soon", all this other chatter needs to be taken elsewhere.


I appeal to everyone here as a fellow pro calibrator and or enthusiast to please follow the guidelines for this thread.

Thanks,
John
RichB, zielin, Rolls-Royce and 3 others like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F, LG CX
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LightSpace Pro, ISF Level III Certified
jrref is online now  
post #839 of 3755 Old 06-06-2018, 09:17 AM
M-V
Member
 
M-V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi,

John has posted some 2018 HDR10 codes there: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...l#post56062362
Great! Thanks Ted and John!

Created a set of HDR-10 video calibration patterns for 2018 models with these codes: download link
Codes seem to be in legal TV range except 1023 (109% WtW 25198 nit) so I've also added 940 code (100% white 10000 nits) just in case.
Hope it will be useful!
jrref and mrtickleuk like this.
M-V is offline  
post #840 of 3755 Old 06-08-2018, 02:18 AM
Member
 
dlj11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Here is a good example posted by BlackJoker on the german HiFi Forum. Left is with CalMan LUT (created by the user norbert.s on the forum), right is BlackJokers LightSpace LUT. You can clearly see how much smoother the LS LUT is, the color itself cannot be judged cause the photos were taken with different cameras under different conditions and are watched on different monitors.

This is a scene from the movie arrival, anyone with that movie in their collection can check it (SDR bluray).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Last_Share_Collage.png
Views:	166
Size:	528.4 KB
ID:	2413330  
dlj11 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Display Calibration

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off