2018 LG OLED Calibration and User Settings (No price talk) - Page 41 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2388Likes

post #1201 of 3551 Old 07-26-2018, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked: 3685
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswood View Post
I tried D-nice white offset using 50% and 25% window. The grayscale looked a little green. On content it looked pretty good but it looked like I calibrated to 2.2 . I probably did something wrong, but am not sure.
White will look “greener” compared to pure x3127 y3290 on a WRGB OLED, However, that will not be the case if you compare it to a legacy display like plasma, CCFL LCD or CRT. x3127 y3290 on WRGB OLED and most LED LCDs is too red when it comes to white.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 3551 Old 07-26-2018, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 3244 Post(s)
Liked: 4037
Quote:
I tried D-nice white offset using 50% and 25% window. The grayscale looked a little green. On content it looked pretty good but it looked like I calibrated to 2.2 . I probably did something wrong, but am not sure.
Hi, D-Nice has posted the coordinates for SDR perceptual match of a KURO Plasma using a PhotoResearch PR-670 Spectro with a LG OLED 2018.

These coordinates are not a simple offset, you have to create a new colorspace based to REC.709 primaries but entering that new White Point coordinates of D-Nice, then the target Y of the primaries will be re-calculated based to that new colorspace White Point.

After that use that new custom colorspace as target for your calibration.

But to some users it will look green, to others more red etc, this is normal since you need to use a PhotoResearch PR or other 5nm (certified) high-end spectro, where the tolerances of unit-per-unit are very tight, when you are using just a consumer colorimeter only, its unknown the performance since not all colorimeters read the same.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #1203 of 3551 Old 07-26-2018, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobhc2010 View Post
Do you have a way I can contact Neil?
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post56320392

This is Neil, LG's architect and project manager of the AutoCAL feature.
cobhc2010 and mrtickleuk like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1204 of 3551 Old 07-26-2018, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey, guys.

I just got a C8 and I have a question. I'm following these instructions to calibrate my tv: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c8/settings

however, as they also say, it's stupid to copy the white balance calibration as well, because every panel is different and yada yada yada. Thing is, where I live, I absolutely have no possibility to call somebody to do that. Like, there is literally nobody. LoL. So my question is...will I enjoy the tv anyways, even by leaving the white balance untouched?

thanks =)
post #1205 of 3551 Old 07-26-2018, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
What is your meter exposure mode and low light handler set to?
I had LLH handling off, like I did for the 6,000 pt cal. The readings seem to be the same when repeated so I figured it's OK. I could've been wrong about not having it on for the longer duration. Please advise and I'll try again.
post #1206 of 3551 Old 07-26-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
We have talked about this yesterday and it's not working any normal menu or any service menu sub-adjustment related to Brightness, as Tyler posted below as reference since he knows first hand about internal stuff:
Adjusting sub b/c in the service menu may still be an option, however, manual calibration may be needed for the lower IREs. When set in the service menu, brightness remains 50 but the brightness level is higher. Just need to find the right setting that works for your set.
post #1207 of 3551 Old 07-26-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
On the black crush issue, my C8 suffers from it i can barley see 20 but today I calibrated using 10% window bt1886 and .0019 nits. I have a C6 meter, I did a 26 rolling 235. I had problem with 2.5 spiking Up to 2.6 gamma, after autocal I fixed with manual adjustments, reduced red a little by eye. I then did a 1500 point 3D lut. After I finished my Color checker showed 1 color high at 1.2 and my average was .5. Checked my black level and 17 was showing in darkened room.

Hope this helps someone.
Wow good to know, in my stock measurements (no service menu adjustments), I could barely see 20 as well. How did you set .0019 nits?

So you performed two 1,500 pt calibration 3DLUT calibrations? Guess those with black crush could still fix manually, which is great.
post #1208 of 3551 Old 07-26-2018, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Quoted: 4473 Post(s)
Liked: 5485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egidio Concas View Post
Hey, guys.

I just got a C8 and I have a question. I'm following these instructions to calibrate my tv: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c8/settings

however, as they also say, it's stupid to copy the white balance calibration as well, because every panel is different and yada yada yada. Thing is, where I live, I absolutely have no possibility to call somebody to do that. Like, there is literally nobody. LoL. So my question is...will I enjoy the tv anyways, even by leaving the white balance untouched?

thanks =)
Yes, just use Technicolor PM in SDR and HDR and adjust the OLED light to your room conditions and adjust tru-motion to your preference as well. For Dolby Vision use Cinema for dark room viewing and enjoy the set.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #1209 of 3551 Old 07-26-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Hey, guys.

thanks =)
Stick to Technicolor or ISF Dark picture modes and you should be fine.

If you want to step it up a few notches, check out Lightspace HTL, HCFR, or Calman 2018. You'll need a meter: https://********/2LShawd
post #1210 of 3551 Old 07-26-2018, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

For those who are interested,
I did a 10,000 pt. 3D LUT today and it took about 3.5 hrs with the Klein K10A with the low light handler ON, 1 read. The scans and the PQ looked fine. No apparent banding or artifacts that I could see. Not that they are not there, just none were obvious to me. I used 260 nit. luminance level because that's what my A1E is calibrated to and I wanted to do a side by side comparison. I also did a 3,000 pt. 3D LUT at the same luminance level and that looked fine as well. To my eyes the 3,000 pt. LUT looked just as good as the 10,000 pt. LUT with content. I'm sure there are differences but they weren't obvious when casually observing content. The one thing to be aware about is the panel tends to "drift" when taking that many reads over that length of time at this high luminance level because of heating effects, etc,. I'm sure running the same scan at 100-150 nits, closer to reference will give more consistent, better results. I ran this with a couple month old Dell laptop, no issues.

As far as the 16-235 vs the 16-255 question, Tyler got back to me with this answer:
"Video signals are allowed to go above white 235 In Blu-ray or streaming content. only broadcast signals are clamped to 235. The above white is usually referred to as super white or smpte plus range."

I'm still a little concerned becasue when looking at several LGs, some sets are linear over 235 and some, probably due to their powersupplys, are not so i'm not sure how noticable the extra range will be and how much content is displayed over 235 but here is "an" answer to this question. Best to try both ways an see if you see a difference on your specific set in my opinion.

Again, in order to see these subtle differences, you have to look at specific content that you are familiar with and take a critical look. For those who want to look at the raw LUT file, that's fine but i'm mainly concerned on what the PQ is presented to the user. Hope this helps
zielin, bacon333 and Wjboshart like this.

John
post #1211 of 3551 Old 07-26-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon333 View Post
Stick to Technicolor or ISF Dark picture modes and you should be fine.

If you want to step it up a few notches, check out Lightspace HTL, HCFR, or Calman 2018. You'll need a meter: https://********/2LShawd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Yes, just use Technicolor PM in SDR and HDR and adjust the OLED light to your room conditions and adjust tru-motion to your preference as well. For Dolby Vision use Cinema for dark room viewing and enjoy the set.
thanks <3
post #1212 of 3551 Old 07-26-2018, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey, guys.

thanks =)

Hi, look these links:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post55567396

You can start by using some patterns (brightness/contrast/color clipping) using any calibration disk to prevent clipping and select what color temp (grayscale ramps pattern) looks more neutral to your eyes (its more than guessing when you don''t have meter/software):

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post24568162

post #1213 of 3551 Old 07-26-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
For those who are interested,
I did a 10,000 pt. 3D LUT today and it took about 3.5 hrs with the Klein K10A with the low light handler ON, 1 read. The scans and the PQ looked fine. No apparent banding or artifacts that I could see. Not that they are not there, just none were obvious to me. I used 260 nit. luminance level because that's what my A1E is calibrated to and I wanted to do a side by side comparison. I also did a 3,000 pt. 3D LUT at the same luminance level and that looked fine as well. To my eyes the 3,000 pt. LUT looked just as good as the 10,000 pt. LUT with content. I'm sure there are differences but they weren't obvious when casually observing content. The one thing to be aware about is the panel tends to "drift" when taking that many reads over that length of time at this high luminance level because of heating effects, etc,. I'm sure running the same scan at 100-150 nits, closer to reference will give more consistent, better results. I ran this with a couple month old Dell laptop, no issues.

As far as the 16-235 vs the 16-255 question, Tyler got back to me with this answer:
"Video signals are allowed to go above white 235 In Blu-ray or streaming content. only broadcast signals are clamped to 235. The above white is usually referred to as super white or smpte plus range."

I'm still a little concerned becasue when looking at several LGs, some sets are linear over 235 and some, probably due to their powersupplys, are not so i'm not sure how noticable the extra range will be and how much content is displayed over 235 but here is "an" answer to this question. Best to try both ways an see if you see a difference on your specific set in my opinion.

Again, in order to see these subtle differences, you have to look at specific content that you are familiar with and take a critical look. For those who want to look at the raw LUT file, that's fine but i'm mainly concerned on what the PQ is presented to the user. Hope this helps
Man, the K10A's so quick. Took me 7 hours. I'll have to redo with the LLH on.

When Calman measures 10,000 points, are they unique points or are some repeated?
post #1214 of 3551 Old 07-26-2018, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Hi, D-Nice has posted the coordinates for SDR perceptual match of a KURO Plasma using a PhotoResearch PR-670 Spectro with a LG OLED 2018.

These coordinates are not a simple offset, you have to create a new colorspace based to REC.709 primaries but entering that new White Point coordinates of D-Nice, then the target Y of the primaries will be re-calculated based to that new colorspace White Point.

After that use that new custom colorspace as target for your calibration.

But to some users it will look green, to others more red etc, this is normal since you need to use a PhotoResearch PR or other 5nm (certified) high-end spectro, where the tolerances of unit-per-unit are very tight, when you are using just a consumer colorimeter only, its unknown the performance since not all colorimeters read the same.
Thank you for commenting I used your advice from another thread on how to do it. Thank you and D-nice for you wisdom on this subject.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #1215 of 3551 Old 07-26-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Wow good to know, in my stock measurements (no service menu adjustments), I could barely see 20 as well. How did you set .0019 nits?

So you performed two 1,500 pt calibration 3DLUT calibrations? Guess those with black crush could still fix manually, which is great.
I originally went into the service menu and changed the black there but I kept having problems with 4 as explained by Tyler the set point was screwed up and it was adjusting 3 and 4 would turn blue.

I only performed one 1500 pt cal.
post #1216 of 3551 Old 07-26-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Man, the K10A's so quick. Took me 7 hours. I'll have to redo with the LLH on.

When Calman measures 10,000 points, are they unique points or are some repeated?
Unique
bacon333 and jrref like this.
post #1217 of 3551 Old 07-26-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Thank you for commenting I used your advice from another thread on how to do it. Thank you and D-nice for you wisdom on this subject.
post #1218 of 3551 Old 07-26-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
White will look “greener” compared to pure x3127 y3290 on a WRGB OLED, However, that will not be the case if you compare it to a legacy display like plasma, CCFL LCD or CRT. x3127 y3290 on WRGB OLED and most LED LCDs is too red when it comes to white.
Most people don’t compare in a residential environment, so are you saying using the white offset is not desirable for home application.

I am confused with your response.
post #1219 of 3551 Old 07-27-2018, 01:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For those who are interested, I did a 10,000 pt. 3D LUT today and it took about 3.5 hrs with the Klein K10A with the low light handler ON, 1 read.
What delay before each meter read you had?

post #1220 of 3551 Old 07-27-2018, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What delay before each meter read you had?
0.5 seconds.

John
post #1221 of 3551 Old 07-27-2018, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
0.5 seconds.
Ok, with that delay, is slow performance 3H30M for Klein, about 40 minutes shorter you perform the same patch set with LightSpace (which is using Klein SDK) while you have better repeatability.

If you click to your CalMAN Logo and then go to Logging menu, if you tick all options there, you can open that hidden folder (C:\ProgramData\SpectraCal\CalMAN 5 for Business\Logs) and see how many much time your CalMAN spend for each meter read (about 50ms I think for each meter read, you can check and confirm)

Klein K-10A takes 384 meter reads per second and send data 8 times per second to the software (when you are using Klein SDK), so it takes about 125 ms to read any parch. CalMAN which is not using Klein SDK, with 1 sample its reducing the time but reducing repeatability also, when the meter is working like its been designed (Klein SDK), there no reason to enable any low light handler, since Klein is super stable to any luminance level, don't need any averaging.

post #1222 of 3551 Old 07-27-2018, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Most people don’t compare in a residential environment, so are you saying using the white offset is not desirable for home application.

The alternate white point has it's own thread but recently I spoke with D-Nice and tried it with his recommended offset on my C8 and I used Autocal. Interestingly, comparing two different PM's, one calibrated at D65 and the other with the offset, I could see the difference right away. After watching an evening of content, I agree with D-Nice that the calibration with the offset looks more "natural" to me. Unless you have a really good eye, you need to do an A/B test which is why some people might report that they don't see much of a difference, etc... Because OLED and LCD whites look different at the VE shootout coming up, we will be perceptually matching white on all the sets to the reference monitor so "White" on all the sets appear the same using this offset process.

D-Nice, from what I understand, is giving us a white point based off of a plasma display that's "accurate" to what the post production uses, (this is how I understand it at a high level), so you can get a better representation of what "Hollywood" intended us to see. Different reference monitors used at different production houses have different representation of "white" further confusing things. If you read the alternate white point thread, all the details are there posted by the folks who have a lot of experience in this area.

I've seen several professional calibrators come up with different offsets based on different reference monitors and it just depends on what is pleasing to your eye in your specific room environment. Above is just my opinion experimenting with this. Hope this helps.

John
post #1223 of 3551 Old 07-27-2018, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you click to your CalMAN Logo and then go to Logging menu, then tick all options there, you can open that hidden folder (C:\ProgramData\SpectraCal\CalMAN 5 for Business\Logs) after your large cube AutoCAL, upload here or open the latest log file, inside you will see what RGB triplets CalMAN is measuring, its not 10000 difference points, but there ιis a way to see how much different points is including, upload it here and I can check.

post #1224 of 3551 Old 07-27-2018, 05:14 AM

Quote:

Use the offset. I was simply explaining to the other poster why it would appear greener
jrref likes this.
post #1225 of 3551 Old 07-27-2018, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok, with that delay, is slow performance 3H30M for Klein, about 40 minutes shorter you perform the same patch set with LightSpace (which is using Klein SDK) while you have better repeatability.

If you click to your CalMAN Logo and then go to Logging menu, if you tick all options there, you can open that hidden folder (C:\ProgramData\SpectraCal\CalMAN 5 for Business\Logs) and see how many much time your CalMAN spend for each meter read (about 50ms I think for each meter read, you can check and confirm)

Klein K-10A takes 384 meter reads per second and send data 8 times per second to the software (when you are using Klein SDK), so it takes about 125 ms to read any parch. CalMAN which is not using Klein SDK, with 1 sample its reducing the time but reducing repeatability also, when the meter is working like its been designed (Klein SDK), there no reason to enable any low light handler, since Klein is super stable to any luminance level, don't need any averaging.
OK, I already knew some of this, but thanks for the feedback. Maybe some day Calman will use the Klein SDK. With all the professionals using the Klein they may make the business decision to do it. Certainly faster is better with all these reads. I'll turn off the low light handler next time which will speed things up.

Edit: One thing is becoming clear. Although you can use the iD3 or the C6 for these large LUTs, you really need something like the Klein or equivalent meter to get consistent high quality results because of the speed and low light capabilities.

John

Last edited by jrref; 07-27-2018 at 05:40 AM.
post #1226 of 3551 Old 07-27-2018, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
Use the offset. I was simply explaining to the other poster why it would appear greener
From my testing, it's only "very slightly" greener and you really need to do an A/B test for the average person without the magic eyes, lol, to see it in my opinion.
mrtickleuk likes this.

John
post #1227 of 3551 Old 07-27-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Hi, look these links:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post55567396

You can start by using some patterns (brightness/contrast/color clipping) using any calibration disk to prevent clipping and select what color temp (grayscale ramps pattern) looks more neutral to your eyes (its more than guessing when you don''t have meter/software):

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post24568162
Thanks, man!

Anyways, I'm trying the one i've linked for now and for instance there are more things to set that the guide says. Also the black level is greyed out and I cannot tweak it to OFF...
post #1228 of 3551 Old 07-27-2018, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Maybe some day Calman will use the Klein SDK.
CalMAN is not using either JETI SDK or X-Rite SDK also... even i1Display PRO Rev.B (June 2015 manufactured meters or later), can't see the improvement using AIO mode X-Rite developed; which improves repeatability and increase meter speed. ChromaPure and LightSpace only use X-Rite SDK, so they can use the X-Rite's AIO mode.

post #1229 of 3551 Old 07-27-2018, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, man!

Anyways, I'm trying the one i've linked for now and for instance there are more things to set that the guide says. Also the black level is greyed out and I cannot tweak it to OFF...
Hi Egidio, that Black level control was not available to LG's, its for Samsung's.

Your HDMI Black Level setting, if you are using video level signal (when your player is a stand alone blu-ray/media player, media streamer and you are watching SDR movies) it has to be to Low. The High setting you are using it when you are using the LG with a PC Desktop/Notebook.

post #1230 of 3551 Old 07-27-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Hi Egidio, that Black level control was not available to LG's, its for Samsung's.

Your HDMI Black Level setting, if you are using video level signal (when your player is a stand alone blu-ray/media player, media streamer and you are watching SDR movies) it has to be to Low. The High setting you are using it when you are using the LG with a PC Desktop/Notebook.
okay but the guide i'm following is for cinema, i believe? It's greyed out to AUTO anyways...

edit: it works now with ps4 pro. I set it to low.

Last edited by Egidio Concas; 07-27-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page