2018 LG OLED Calibration and User Settings (No price talk) - Page 99 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2458Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2941 of 3635 Old 03-29-2019, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
BlackJoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirhosein Herandy View Post
Sorry I'm a bit confused. Why can't you leave the brightness at 50%? Does it cause black crushing?


Withe the latest firmware release for the 2018 Models LG fixed the macro blocking issue. They raised the gamma at the lower points and added dithering to fix this.

In order to that the default value of 50 for the brightness now can cause a black crush on some sets so it's highly recommended to check with a brightness pattern for example from Ted disc or any other similar brightness pattern.

Without any 2p adjustment my C8 has to be set to 54.

TV: LG OLED 65C8 Sources: Apple TV 4K, OPPO UDP-203 Video Processor: TruVue eeColor
Probe: Klein K10-A, i1 Display Pro OEM Rev.B (2018), i1Pro2 OEM Rev.E Software: Lightspace HTP, Calman 2019 Ultimate
BlackJoker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2942 of 3635 Old 03-29-2019, 03:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJoker View Post
Withe the latest firmware release for the 2018 Models LG fixed the macro blocking issue. They raised the gamma at the lower points and added dithering to fix this.

In order to that the default value of 50 for the brightness now can cause a black crush on some sets so it's highly recommended to check with a brightness pattern for example from Ted disc or any other similar brightness pattern.

Without any 2p adjustment my C8 has to be set to 54.
Thanks. Here we go again with another 6 or so hours I'll have to check and see how I can play those one the TV with the PGenerator if it's possible. Do you use the 21^3 csv file for calibration or just the AIO mode?
Amirhosein Herandy is offline  
post #2943 of 3635 Old 03-29-2019, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 7,359
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5083 Post(s)
Liked: 7411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi, when you are using internal LUT capabilities for SDR 3D LUT, all settings (except Brightness/Contrast/Color/OLED Light) will be bypassed when the TV will received custom 1D and 3D LUT tables, so the difference per each preset (Cinema/ISF) will be only the name of the preset, except the Game mode which will have less latency.
Just to clarify, in case anyone misreads the above.

The only settings which are bypassed (and locked out) are Expert Settings/Colour Gamut, Gamma, and White Balance. All other settings in all levels of the Picture mode menu are available.

For SDR, there are 5 completely independent upload slots for SDR LUTs. These are for the 5 picture modes Cinema, Game, technicolor Expert, ISF Expert (Bright Room), ISF Expert (Dark Room). If you calibrate one of those mode, its LUT (and locking of the above settings in the menus) carries across to all inputs for that mode only; it does not affect any of the other modes' settings.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2944 of 3635 Old 03-29-2019, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wjboshart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,239
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Just to clarify, in case anyone misreads the above.



The only settings which are bypassed (and locked out) are Expert Settings/Colour Gamut, Gamma, and White Balance. All other settings in all levels of the Picture mode menu are available.



For SDR, there are 5 completely independent upload slots for SDR LUTs. These are for the 5 picture modes Cinema, Game, technicolor Expert, ISF Expert (Bright Room), ISF Expert (Dark Room). If you calibrate one of those mode, its LUT (and locking of the above settings in the menus) carries across to all inputs for that mode only; it does not affect any of the other modes' settings.


Someone mentioned earlier, or I saw it somewhere but can't remember...that it only locks out expert functions once you hit the "autocal" function. So in theory can still use ddc control without cutting out white balance controls? At work right now so don't get to meddle until tonight or tomorrow night


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wjboshart is offline  
post #2945 of 3635 Old 03-29-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 7,359
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5083 Post(s)
Liked: 7411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post
Someone mentioned earlier, or I saw it somewhere but can't remember...that it only locks out expert functions once you hit the "autocal" function. So in theory can still use ddc control without cutting out white balance controls? At work right now so don't get to meddle until tonight or tomorrow night
I tried that, and got burned! Once the TV pops up the "calibration start" piece of toast on screen, you're past the point of no return. This happens when you either have the DDC window open and innocently do "reset greyscale", or when you press a clearly labelled "DDC Reset" button. These operations upload the "unity lut" starting point to the TV, committing you to doing a full factory reset to undo it, before you even get to the workflow page with the Autocal button.

I wanted to do what you suggested. Use the DDC controls to do a "manual" calibration. The DDC window for the 20pt greyscale was all zeros, with a random 109% in the Blue of one value. I pressed the "reset greyscale" button, expecting it to just wipe that 109% value to zero. BLAM! I watched in horror as it uploaded the unity lut, the TV said "calibration start", the whole jolly lot. So - don't press that button!

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 03-29-2019 at 05:12 PM.
mrtickleuk is online now  
post #2946 of 3635 Old 03-29-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ConnecTEDDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 8,672
Mentioned: 212 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3416 Post(s)
Liked: 4241
John, the user asked what mode is bright (means which mode has more nits output):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsonia View Post
Do both cinema home and cinema mode use the full luminance of the panel for HDR? I was reading around and it seemed like with Dolby vision while Cinema is the most accurate. You don't get full luminance as you do with Cinema home. Is that correct? With normal HDR10 I believe You get full luminance with either Cinema or Cinema home.
So I replied that its not Brighter the DV Home, but more in-accurate:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Cinema DV mode is the more accurate mode, the Cinema Home DV mode is not a brighter, but its a mode with different tone mapping and PQ tracking; it can look more impressive... but the reality is that its more inaccurate from Cinema DV.
You came back to say that you are not sure if the DV Cinema Home is not brighter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Agreed but i'm not sure you can say the DV Cinema Home picture mode is not brighter. If you look at a DV Cinema Home scan, you will see it significantly deviates from the EOTF curve with the intent to make the picture look brighter, this is directly from LG. When switching between DV Cinema and DV Cinema Home PMs the overall picture "looks" brighter at the expense of accuracy in the DV Cinema Home PM.
and later posted that both modes have the same peak output:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Exactly, the peak luminance is the same but because DV Cinema Home deviates toward brighter from the EOTF curve, uncalibrated, to you eye it looks brighter.
So finally you agree with my initial post... lol

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
ConnecTEDDD is online now  
post #2947 of 3635 Old 03-29-2019, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sillysally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,158
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Just to confirm what BJ said, there something wacky going on with this new firmware.
Although CM shows the Y value correct for the low light output there is black crash for 18 and 19.
The other thing I am seeing is when reading 16/0 IRE now my meter keeps reading 0 IRE at point .005, before I would always get a reading of .0001 for SDR.
I used CM for 42 pt rolling GS and LS 21^3 cms.

I want the old firmware back!

ss
Make73 likes this.

"Don't worry be happy"
LG77C8, Klein K10-A, Jeti 1211, CMS Lightspace, Calman home plus licence for K10-A, Murideo 6G.
sillysally is offline  
post #2948 of 3635 Old 03-29-2019, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4906
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Just to confirm what BJ said, there something wacky going on with this new firmware.
Although CM shows the Y value correct for the low light output there is black crash for 18 and 19.
The other thing I am seeing is when reading 16/0 IRE now my meter keeps reading 0 IRE at point .005, before I would always get a reading of .0001 for SDR.
I used CM for 42 pt rolling GS and LS 21^3 cms.

I want the old firmware back!

ss
Have you recalibrated with the new FW? Does this issue you are seeing only impact DV or also HDR10 and/or SDR?

I'll be interested to see whether the C9s sufer from these same issues...
fafrd is offline  
post #2949 of 3635 Old 03-29-2019, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wjboshart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,239
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
I tried that, and got burned! Once the TV pops up the "calibration start" piece of toast on screen, you're past the point of no return. This happens when you either have the DDC window open and innocently do "reset greyscale", or when you press a clearly labelled "DDC Reset" button. These operations upload the "unity lut" starting point to the TV, committing you to doing a full factory reset to undo it, before you even get to the workflow page with the Autocal button.



I wanted to do what you suggested. Use the DDC controls to do a "manual" calibration. The DDC window for the 20pt greyscale was all zeros, with a random 109% in the Blue of one value. I pressed the "reset greyscale" button, expecting it to just wipe that 109% value to zero. BLAM! I watched in horror as it uploaded the unity lut, the TV said "calibration start", the whole jolly lot. So - don't press that button!


I'm mentally prepping how I'm going to run ls tonight via instructions from ted where I'm basically setting contrast at 100 for 16-235 patch run. Where all I've done is set brightness to corrected level and set warmth to whichever has better balanced rgb. He advised not messing with RGB High as he said red is raising blacks so he mentioned picking whichever had better results without alteration. Then run a profile and load it without any applied filter


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wjboshart is offline  
post #2950 of 3635 Old 03-29-2019, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sillysally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,158
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Have you recalibrated with the new FW? Does this issue you are seeing only impact DV or also HDR10 and/or SDR?

I'll be interested to see whether the C9s sufer from these same issues...
SDR, haven't had time to check DV/HDR10.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"
LG77C8, Klein K10-A, Jeti 1211, CMS Lightspace, Calman home plus licence for K10-A, Murideo 6G.
sillysally is offline  
post #2951 of 3635 Old 03-29-2019, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 5,522
Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4546 Post(s)
Liked: 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
John, the user asked what mode is bright (means which mode has more nits output):



So I replied that its not Brighter the DV Home, but more in-accurate:



You came back to say that you are not sure if the DV Cinema Home is not brighter:



and later posted that both modes have the same peak output:



So finally you agree with my initial post... lol
Right I was agreeing with you that DV Cinema Home deviates from the EOTF curve and does a different tone mapping. But you implied the Cinema Home DV mode is not a brighter PM, the tone mapping makes it so it can look more impressive. Actually to the viewer it looks like a brighter PM because of the way the tone mapping is done and LG set it up as a bright DV PM although, as you correctly stated, the peak luminance is the same. A brighter "looking" picture is not always about peak nits output. Maybe it's just the translation.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
jrref is online now  
post #2952 of 3635 Old 03-29-2019, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4906
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Right I was agreeing with you that DV Cinema Home deviates from the EOTF curve and does a different tone mapping. But you implied the Cinema Home DV mode is not a brighter PM, the tone mapping makes it so it can look more impressive. Actually to the viewer it looks like a brighter PM because of the way the tone mapping is done and LG set it up as a bright DV PM although, as you correctly stated, the peak luminance is the same. A brighter "looking" picture is not always about peak nits output. Maybe it's just the translation.
Yeah, you guys are speaking different languages. Ted is talking about peak brightness levels and you are talking about average luminance levels...
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
fafrd is offline  
post #2953 of 3635 Old 03-29-2019, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 5,522
Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4546 Post(s)
Liked: 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Yeah, you guys are speaking different languages. Ted is talking about peak brightness levels and you are talking about average luminance levels...
It's the way you interpret the original question but all the information on it, either way, both aspects are posted and explained with the scans showing how LG is presenting the two PMs.
mrtickleuk likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
jrref is online now  
post #2954 of 3635 Old 03-30-2019, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
BlackJoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirhosein Herandy View Post
Thanks. Here we go again with another 6 or so hours I'll have to check and see how I can play those one the TV with the PGenerator if it's possible. Do you use the 21^3 csv file for calibration or just the AIO mode?


I don't know exactly what you mean?
I use 21^3 Finseq CSV for my 3D LUT and I use the AIO mode for my id3 REV. B in LS

TV: LG OLED 65C8 Sources: Apple TV 4K, OPPO UDP-203 Video Processor: TruVue eeColor
Probe: Klein K10-A, i1 Display Pro OEM Rev.B (2018), i1Pro2 OEM Rev.E Software: Lightspace HTP, Calman 2019 Ultimate
BlackJoker is offline  
post #2955 of 3635 Old 03-30-2019, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wjboshart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,239
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Tried my first ls profile last night, a 17^3. Took a little over 4 hours. Used i1pro oem with firetv using lightspace connect. Was following most recent guidelines that I received from ted...holy hell I must have screwed something up, holes and issues all over my cube. Ran color checker and errors all over.

Not sure where exactly I screwed up, but I've also got another couple weeks before I have ample time to tinker again.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wjboshart is offline  
post #2956 of 3635 Old 03-30-2019, 09:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJoker View Post
I don't know exactly what you mean?
I use 21^3 Finseq CSV for my 3D LUT and I use the AIO mode for my id3 REV. B in LS
Oh yeah thank you. I wanted to know if you are using the finseq file for the actual calibration or not so I got my answer. For some reason I'm getting really bad Delta E's and drift though. I'm pretty sure I'm following all of the steps.

P.S. brightness is set to 60, contrast is at 85 and I set OLED light to 22.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture7.PNG
Views:	41
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	2546332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture6.PNG
Views:	37
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	2546334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture5.PNG
Views:	36
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	2546336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture4.PNG
Views:	35
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	2546338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.PNG
Views:	31
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	2546340  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	34
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	2546342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	35
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	2546344   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture8.PNG
Views:	46
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	2546350  
Attached Files
File Type: zip pdf_report_and_dcl.zip (332.8 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Amirhosein Herandy; 03-30-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Amirhosein Herandy is offline  
post #2957 of 3635 Old 03-30-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4906
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJoker View Post
Withe the latest firmware release for the 2018 Models LG fixed the macro blocking issue. They raised the gamma at the lower points and added dithering to fix this.

In order to that the default value of 50 for the brightness now can cause a black crush on some sets so it's highly recommended to check with a brightness pattern for example from Ted disc or any other similar brightness pattern.

Without any 2p adjustment my C8 has to be set to 54.
Where did you see information about dithering being added to solve macroblocking?

We just learned that LG pulled-back all new BFI functionality from C9 production FW, and my suspicion is that this was because they discovered a conflict between dithering to fix macoblocking and 120Hz BFI (3.5ms MPRT).

So I'm interested in any details about what changed on the C8 with this new FW release - where did you see that dithering has been adopted?
fafrd is offline  
post #2958 of 3635 Old 03-30-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wjboshart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,239
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Where did you see information about dithering being added to solve macroblocking?



We just learned that LG pulled-back all new BFI functionality from C9 production FW, and my suspicion is that this was because they discovered a conflict between dithering to fix macoblocking and 120Hz BFI (3.5ms MPRT).



So I'm interested in any details about what changed on the C8 with this new FW release - where did you see that dithering has been adopted?


Someone in the owners thread posted a magnified view of pixel structure of 4% gray which basically showed a dithering function being applied


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wjboshart is offline  
post #2959 of 3635 Old 03-30-2019, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wjboshart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,239
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
So one thing I noted from my failed ls profile earlier was that with contrast raised to 100 (which ted recommended for 16-235 patch set) I didn't have to raise brightness at all and was getting flashing down to 17 on the brightness pattern.

I'm hoping lg releases a fix for the gamma change as they basically severed calman abilities and 1d ability of ls as well. It would seem to be poor customer service and partnership with calman if they don't do anything


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chunon likes this.
Wjboshart is offline  
post #2960 of 3635 Old 03-31-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4906
jk32 took these pics of 4% grey with older firmware and new update (I'm still trying to understand what he used to take them).

So it seems as though what LG changed to resolve the 'luminance overshoot issue' at near-black levels is to move from predominant use of the white subpixels for near-black greyscale (supposedly supported by some contribution from colored subpixels as required to deliver calibrated white-point) to a spatial dithering where more of the calibrated white lumens are delivered through colored supbpixels which are being more strongly driven.

Does anyone here on the calibration thread know whether this spatial dithering approach to near-black greyscale management is a technique that was already being employed by Sony and/or Panasonic?

Has this change resulted in any other impact on prior calibraion (changing near-black gamma, etc...)?

It seems like WOLED has difficulty in the near-black region where pixels are just barely on (suffering both overshoot and possibly also nonuniformity/streaking).

If linearity and uniformity are easier to deliver through more strongly-driven pixels, dithering seems like an effective solution(both spacial as well as temporal dithering).

I'm trying to understand whether Sony and/or Panasonic already understood this and LGE is followijg in their footsteps or LG is pioneering this approach to improving near-black WOLED performance...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	2546992  
fafrd is offline  
post #2961 of 3635 Old 03-31-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ConnecTEDDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 8,672
Mentioned: 212 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3416 Post(s)
Liked: 4241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirhosein Herandy View Post
Oh yeah thank you. I wanted to know if you are using the finseq file for the actual calibration or not so I got my answer. For some reason I'm getting really bad Delta E's and drift though. I'm pretty sure I'm following all of the steps.

P.S. brightness is set to 60, contrast is at 85 and I set OLED light to 22.
Can you upload the actual measurement file? It looks like the TV went to some energy saving mode at the end... that drift plot is not typical OLED with finseq sequence look.

What pattern generator have you used with what options and what meter/pattern generator options?

What (other) pre-calibration you have performed? Have you disabled ASBL?
Amirhosein Herandy likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
ConnecTEDDD is online now  
post #2962 of 3635 Old 03-31-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ConnecTEDDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 8,672
Mentioned: 212 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3416 Post(s)
Liked: 4241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post
So one thing I noted from my failed ls profile earlier was that with contrast raised to 100 (which ted recommended for 16-235 patch set) I didn't have to raise brightness at all and was getting flashing down to 17 on the brightness pattern
It will be added a scaling filter to LightSpace which will allow to perform 16-235 patch generation with CR85. The correct TV setting (as internally designed) is to have CR100 when you will send 16-235 patterns (because internal LUT is 0-1023 with the video black '64' mapped to '0' of the LUT) so when you have CR100... the 940 expanded to 1023.

With the new filter, the 940 will stay to 940 and from 940 until 1023 it will be interpolated, when you will measure with 16-235 patterns with CR85 setting.

Instructions will be updated and posted to AVS when we will be ready.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 04-01-2019 at 12:15 PM.
ConnecTEDDD is online now  
post #2963 of 3635 Old 03-31-2019, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wjboshart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,239
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
2018 LG OLED Calibration and User Settings (No price talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
jk32 took these pics of 4% grey with older firmware and new update (I'm still trying to understand what he used to take them).



So it seems as though what LG changed to resolve the 'luminance overshoot issue' at near-black levels is to move from predominant use of the white subpixels for near-black greyscale (supposedly supported by some contribution from colored subpixels as required to deliver calibrated white-point) to a spatial dithering where more of the calibrated white lumens are delivered through colored supbpixels which are being more strongly driven.



Does anyone here on the calibration thread know whether this spatial dithering approach to near-black greyscale management is a technique that was already being employed by Sony and/or Panasonic?



Has this change resulted in any other impact on prior calibraion (changing near-black gamma, etc...)?



It seems like WOLED has difficulty in the near-black region where pixels are just barely on (suffering both overshoot and possibly also nonuniformity/streaking).



If linearity and uniformity are easier to deliver through more strongly-driven pixels, dithering seems like an effective solution(both spacial as well as temporal dithering).



I'm trying to understand whether Sony and/or Panasonic already understood this and LGE is followijg in their footsteps or LG is pioneering this approach to improving near-black WOLED performance...


Wonder if he used some sort of macro lens off a phone or camera.

I think Panasonic uses a different system entirely to power the panel which allows them better finite controls of near black...vaguely remember seeing their rep talk about reverse engineering with 2019 panels


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wjboshart is offline  
post #2964 of 3635 Old 03-31-2019, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post
Wonder if he used some sort of macro lens off a phone or camera.

I think Panasonic uses a different system entirely to power the panel which allows them better finite controls of near black...vaguely remember seeing their rep talk about reverse engineering with 2019 panels


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you ate allowing Panasonic to fudgify 'algorithmic power' with 'electrical power'.

The intetface to LGs WOLED panels is all digital. All these OEMs can change is what digital levels they want to drive individual subpixels to and when.

So dithering, either spatial and/or temporal, fits squarely in the baliwick of their algorithmic 'power'

Anything involving dfferent drive electronics does not.

That's why I'm asking whether anyone has ever seem similar macr zooms of near black subpixels off of Panasonic or Sony WOLEDs...
fafrd is offline  
post #2965 of 3635 Old 03-31-2019, 04:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Can you upload the actual measurement file? It looks like the TV went to some energy saving mode at the end... that drift plot is not typical OLED with finseq sequence look.

What pattern generator have you used with what options and what meter/pattern generator options?

What (other) pre-calibration you have performed? Have you disabled ASBL?
Hi Ted, Which file are you talking about? I uploaded the 3dlut as well as the pdf report. I think I actually calibrated with another 3d lut already applied. I think the DeviceControl 3d lut reset button actually restores the last 3d lut instead of resetting, that might be the problem. I'm trying to do another calibration on cinema now. I used a PGenerator with RGB full and the 10^3 point finseq as preroll and 21^3 point finseq for the calibration. ASBL is also off. Could my i1pro2 be so out of whack that it's causing this?

Last edited by Amirhosein Herandy; 03-31-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Amirhosein Herandy is offline  
post #2966 of 3635 Old 03-31-2019, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ConnecTEDDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 8,672
Mentioned: 212 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3416 Post(s)
Liked: 4241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirhosein Herandy View Post
Hi Ted, Which file are you talking about? I uploaded the 3dlut as well as the pdf report. I think I actually calibrated with another 3d lut already applied. I think the DeviceControl 3d lut reset button actually restores the last 3d lut instead of resetting, that might be the problem. I'm trying to do another calibration on cinema now. I used a PGenerator with RGB full and the 10^3 point finseq as preroll and 21^3 point finseq for the calibration. ASBL is also off. Could my i1pro2 be so out of whack that it's causing this?
You have uploaded the 3dl file you used to upload to the TV, I will need the measurement profiling data file, you will find it to the ColorSpace Manager Window where all saved measurements you have take are listed, select it and export it (its a *.bcs file).

If you want me to check your meter profiling, go to Options and from Active Probe drop-down list, select and export the 2 meter measurement files you are using.
Amirhosein Herandy likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
ConnecTEDDD is online now  
post #2967 of 3635 Old 03-31-2019, 05:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
You have uploaded the 3dl file you used to upload to the TV, I will need the measurement profiling data file, you will find it to the ColorSpace Manager Window where all saved measurements you have take are listed, select it and export it (its a *.bcs file).

If you want me to check your meter profiling, go to Options and from Active Probe drop-down list, select and export the 2 meter measurement files you are using.
Thank you for bearing with me Ted. It's all still a bit confusing for me. Here are the bcs file for that calibration and the bpd file for the probes. Thank you. Should I have the intelligent integration option on and set to 1 by the way? One more question, this might sound stupid, but would an AV receiver in bypass mode be too bad of an idea between the TV and the PGenerator?


EDIT: Last night I disabled the i1pro2 matching and connected my pgenerator directly to the TV. I still seem to have a lot of huge delta E's and a lot of drift in the beginning. I just ordered a new powersupply for the PGenerator and new HDMI cables to see if they would make any difference.
Attached Files
File Type: zip cal_files.zip (347.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Amirhosein Herandy; 04-01-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Amirhosein Herandy is offline  
post #2968 of 3635 Old 03-31-2019, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gwgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
Sure, they are great for the monopolist, private or public but not good for the consumer.
That said, those who have worked to create a new technology have a right to benefit from it.
Otherwise, there is no return on the investment. Consumers benefit from investment as well.
There is no natural right to such a thing, but most governments recognize that it is good to encourage innovation by making various artificial rights available to them - typically Patents, Copyrights and Trade Marks.
Another practical option available is secrecy, but there is no legal backing when you give your secrets away in the form of products or software. (Of course contract terms are often used to try and protect secrets. Many countries have statutory exceptions that protect specific types of reverse engineering against such contract terms.) One of the reasons that reverse engineering is legal is that it encourages companies to use Patents to protect innovation. In theory Patents are a better way, since they reward only new and novel developments, in return for public disclosure. In practice of course, many Patent systems have been gamed :- many patents have been granted with little innovative value that disclose as little as possible. In many peoples view the current patent systems have been a drag on innovation in fast moving technical areas, where Copyright has been sufficient protection.

Author of ArgyllCMS and ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
gwgill is online now  
post #2969 of 3635 Old 04-03-2019, 01:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ConnecTEDDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 8,672
Mentioned: 212 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3416 Post(s)
Liked: 4241
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswood View Post
Ted you lost me here, "You can do similar or better job by performing manual cal of Medium Color Temp in White Balance of SV menu, and later select Warm 1 in HDR10 and DV mode, so you will have reduced that way the RGB balance errors in both HDR10/DV. (you can use any free calibration software for that with just some HDR10 patterns, so zero cost at all)."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
The changes you will do to medium temp white balance preset of Service Menu (while you will display HDR10 patterns), they will affect the RGB balance of Warm 1 of normal menu, both HDR10/DV RGB balance will share that color temp and will be affected, so you pre-cal RGB balance in SM and then you select that color temp when you will watch HDR10/DV.

Factory DV color gamut tracking is good, grayscale RGB balance is off usually, doing the above you can improve DV RGB balance without having any DV pattern generator to verify the results, its the best you can do without spending a $.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Thankyou, that's gold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker Smash View Post
Is there a link for info to get to calibrate using the service menu? Thanks.

BTW the procedure LG is performing the White Balance (Manual you will do while LG is doing this automatically at LG's repairing centers) with OLED's, they are using non-contact measurement, with Minotla CA-210 Colorimeter (profiled from Minolta CS-100 Spectro ideally) which has 27 mm FOV from 3cm distance, LG recommends the distance to be max 10cm:



So you set 192 the values and then reduce the 2 channels only, while you will display an HDR10 pattern.
mrtickleuk likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
ConnecTEDDD is online now  
post #2970 of 3635 Old 04-04-2019, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wjboshart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,239
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by mywaycn View Post
Luckly, i had double checked and its LOW.











Meter setting changed to "RAW XYZ", its work. And Thanks Rolls-Royce also.







But i had tried refreshed DeviceControl cloud. But no found LG template.











Well noted.



Now, it's time to update my 2nd round calibration. And to the one who just found this thread and looking for LG 2018 OLED 65B8P SDR calibration. You may get some idea from here.



Hardware

TV: LG OLED 65 B8P

SW: Calman 5.9.2.59 Home Enthusiast

Meter: i1Display pro retail 2011 model. (i bought it aroud 2012, so it should be. 0.1 - 1000 cd/m2)

TPG: Rpi PGenerator with 2.0.16 DeviceControl on Rpi 3B+



TPG setting:

TPG: 1080p24, RGB Full



LG TV Settig

Picture menu -> Picture Options -> Black Level = LOW



Calman Settings:

Meter: Meter mode = Raw XYZ, Low light handler =Enabled, mode=2, trigger=5 cd/m2 (my suggest optimize meter repsond time agian)

TV: Active grayscale points = LG 26 pts 16-235

PG control interface options: Windows size 10% (No need to care Pattern APL, Pattern size)

Workflow baisc option: Colorspace target= D65, HD, BT.709; Gamma fomula=Power 2.2; Luminance level=Video (16-235)

Application measurement options: Full Fieid Pattern insertion= Freq 30 (1D LUT), 15 (3D LUT); Duration 5; level 15% ; AutoCal targets DeltaE formula=de2000_jNDab, Cube deltaE formula=de2000



Workflow setting READ ALL THE DESCRIPTION CAREFULLY.

Grayscale 1D LUT: 16-235, (result is better than Rolling)

3D LUT: iRP point based LUT: video range SMPTE(16-235), 3000 pts (Ted suggest that less than 3500 would be accuracy; ) Pattern delay = 0.25 (optimize it according your network)





Here is post-cal result for Cinema 2.2, isf Expert Dark 2.4. i'm pretty satisfied. IF there no mistake, then i will move to HDR10/DV calibration.

BTW, Ted, if you have free time, do you mind review Cinema and Expert Dark .3dl file again?



Cinema 2.2

















isf Expert Dark 2.4













I just picked up a raspberry pi and flashed pgenerator on it. Since I see you use calman as well, how do you connect the pgenerator to it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wjboshart is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Display Calibration

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off