LG 2017 OLED Dolby Vision Calibration - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #1 of 78 Old 03-20-2018, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 230
LG 2017 OLED & LCD Dolby Vision Calibration

I thought I'd take my post from the main LG 2017 OLED Calibration and Settings thread and start a dedicated post here. I'll start with a simple re-post and will add more detail and some attachments as I have time. If others want to share their experiences, ask questions, or add information, please do.

------------------------

3/23/2018 Update: Added link to the Intel GPU Configuration Guide

4/2/2018 Update: Updated with information from @zoyd that the HDFury Vertex works using the same process. and added a Requirements section.

4/19/2018 Update: Updated to include 2017 LG LCD televisions based on verification from @Anger.miki that it works with his TV.

For those wanting to brave the world of Dolby Vision calibration with your 2017 LG OLED/LCD TV, here's what you need to know:

After much help from @WiFi-Spy , I was able to get my Dolby Vision calibrated and CalMAN works beautifully for that purpose. It’s almost entirely automated and the thumbdrive configuration file load gives excellent results.

Requirements
  1. 2017 LG OLED or LCD Television
  2. CalMAN 2017 Home Theater (aka Home Enthusiast) or higher (click on the product box photos on this page to get the latest versions)
  3. HDFury Integral 4K60 4:4:4 600MHz or Vertex 4K60 4:4:4 600MHz
  4. HDFury Silabs drivers (4.0.0 or higher) and PC Windows GUI Software (Click on the Download tab in the above links to find them)
  5. 2 x HDMI cables (Certified HDMI cables recommended)
  6. Laptop PC with Intel Integrated GPU (Intel HD or later). Dual GPU / i.e. Integrated + Quadro do not work.
  7. FAT32 or NTFS thumbdrive with a capacity of 32GB or less
  8. Lots of patience

Lessons learned - At the moment NVIDIA Quadro GPUs aren’t working with CalMAN, only Intel (integrated) GPUs. I'm hoping this will change in the future, but for now, it's not supported.

Here are the settings & sequence I followed, which must be followed, EXACTLY, for those interested:

My Configuration Details
2016 HP Pavilion Laptop with Core i5 CPU:
GPU, Intel HD 5500: driver version 15.40.37.4835
CalMAN 2017 Home Theater (aka Home Enthusiast) 5.8.2.85
X-Rite i1Display (OEM) purchased from SpectraCal
HDFury Integral 4K60 4:4:4 600MHz (02 hardware version)
Firmware version: 0.62.0.37
Silabs Driver 4.0.0
HDFury Integral GUI version 1.14
Certified HDMI 18Gbps cables between laptop & Integral & Integral & 2017 LG OLED65B7A TV

LG TV Settings
Cinema mode
Warm2 white balance
Follow instructions on this thread regarding turning everything "auto" or that changes the picture off, particularly Dynamic Contrast

Video Settings

Detailed Intel GPU Configuration Guide from @WiFi-Spy (summarized below)

Windows Display settings: scaling off

Intel Display settings:
  • General Settings/Basic:
  • Resolution: 1920x1080
  • Refresh rate: 24p Hz
  • Rotation: 0
  • Maintain Display Scaling Checked
  • General Settings/Advanced:
  • Quantization Range: Full Range
  • IT Content: Disable
  • Color Settings:
  • Color Depth: 32 Bit

HDFury Switch Settings
  • HDCP 1.4
  • Audio replaced from jack
  • EDID Fixed

CalMAN Setup Steps
  1. Warm up TV and position & warm up meter as well
  2. Connect your HDFury Integral via the Top Port if you have a serial starting in 02 or bottom port if your serial starts in 01, making sure the USB port is connected as well to power it
  3. “Extend” your Windows desktop to the TV
  4. Open CalMAN (ensure HDFury GUI is closed)
  5. Select Dolby Vision Custom Workflow
  6. Open HDFury GUI
  7. Select your meter (in my case the i1Display, with LCD LED as the meter mode - the OLED meter mode is for phone displays)
  8. Under Source, open the pattern window, drag it to the TV, and click in the center to maximize it
  9. Select Dolby Vision Relative Override for HDR Mode
  10. In the HDFury GUI, make sure your settings are as follows:
    • In EDID MANAGER tab: Under AUTOMIX:, only Allow YCbCR and HDR/HLG should be checked, and FIXED EDID should be selected based on the hardware setting
    • In HDR/IF tab: only FORCE HDR ALWAYS ACTIVE and Full HDR mode should be checked
    • Other tabs don’t matter
    • Paste (but don’t do anything for now) the follow HEX code into the CUSTOM HDR IF: field: 81:01:18:36:03:0c:00:20:01:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00 :00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00
    • Confirm the following code is in the CUSTOM AVI IF: field: 00:08:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00
  11. Click Next to advance CalMAN to the Verification of Correct Display Mode screen showing the correct and incorrect display. At this point, you should see the red/yellow test pattern on the TV
  12. Go back to the HDFury GUI and in the HDR/IF tab, click on the Send IF button
  13. The screen should now turn black with a white test box and the Dolby Vision should pop up in the upper right-hand side of the TV screen
  14. Click Next to read the overview of the DV workflow, then click Next again
  15. Now you're in the White Balance screen. Use the White Balance setting in the TV selecting the Low sliders for the 30% pattern and the High sliders for the 80% pattern. From my experience, it seems that the Red makes the smallest (read, best) adjustments, while the Green is a little coarse, and the Blue causes huge swings. Using the Read Continuous mode helps as it's a good idea to let the reading settle for 10s or so between adjustments. Shoot for the lowest delta E (dE) value in each measurement, and be warned, they do interact, so you might want to go back & forth until you get the best result.
  16. Once you have it dialed in, click Next to go to the Grayscale - Multi screen.
  17. Click on Read Series button to automatically read all of the points to see where you need to being your adjustments. Use the 20-pt white balance settings in the TV to fine-tune by manually select the luminance value you want to adjust in CalMAN and the TV. Re-run the Read Series to ensure you haven't impacted the other settings. Once again, shoot for the lowest dE, under 3, and ideally somewhere around 1 or less. Click Next.
  18. Next, you'll need a FAT32 or NTFS USB thumb drive. Insert it into your laptop, click on the Create Dolby Vision Config button. Once you select your thumb drive (don't put it in a folder, use the root, i.e. E:/) and click Ok, CalMAN will run an automated set of test patterns and a pop-up telling you it's finished "File written successfully" will appear.
  19. Insert the thumb drive into the TV, and turn on some Dolby Vision material (I just go to the Dolby Access app and select the first demo. A few seconds into playing the video, a pop-up message will appear on the TV asking if you want to replace the Dolby Vision configuration. Click Yes, and it will tell you that the settings will take effect next time you watch something in Dolby Vision. To be on the safe side, I stop and then re-play the video. Click Next.
  20. CalMAN will now tell you to switch the Source to Dolby Vision Relative Override in the HDR Mode. Click Next.
  21. CalMAN will verify your calibration, so click the Read Series button until complete, then click Next, Read Series until complete, and Next and Read Series one final time.
  22. Now you're done, so click View Report.
  23. Enjoy your favorite DV movie or TV show
If anyone has any questions, please let me know. I've learned a whole lot from all my troubleshooting and will be happy to share what I've learned.

Thanks again to @WiFi-Spy from Spectracal for the awesome customer support to get this working!

Preamp/Amps: Anthem AVM60, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5, A-300
Speakers: (7.1.2): Klipsch Reference Premiere / Power Sound Audio S3000i sub
Video: LG OLED65B7A, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Premiere+, Nvidia Shield TV
Room: GIK Acoustics treatments

Last edited by MackGuyver; 04-19-2018 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Updating to include LCDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 03-20-2018, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 34
What laptop model would be good to install HCFR, Calman, or Chromapure for calibrating a LG OLED? I'm looking for a basic laptop to use primarily for calibration purposes, but with accurate video output (able to run UHD patterns).

Thanks,

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 78 Old 03-20-2018, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked: 2024
Quote:
Originally Posted by slosvt View Post
What laptop model would be good to install HCFR, Calman, or Chromapure for calibrating a LG OLED? I'm looking for a basic laptop to use primarily for calibration purposes, but with accurate video output (able to run UHD patterns).

Thanks,

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Best bet is one with native HDMI port and Intel GPU.
MackGuyver likes this.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 78 Old 03-21-2018, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
Best bet is one with native HDMI port and Intel GPU.
A MacBook Pro retina with intel CPU and windows running on virtual box is going to work?
post #5 of 78 Old 03-21-2018, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRobotoPlus View Post
A MacBook Pro retina with intel CPU and windows running on virtual box is going to work?
CPU or GPU? Currently, the GPU (graphics processor) has to be Intel. The CPU doesn't matter.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #6 of 78 Old 03-21-2018, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
CPU or GPU? Currently, the GPU (graphics processor) has to be Intel. The CPU doesn't matter.
True and @MrRobotoPlus likely has an integrated Intel CPU/GPU, so he should be good. I'm trying to find Tyler's Video Card setup to attach to this post as he'll need to do that to get it to work. I put some instructions about the settings used, but Tyler's guide has lots of screenshots and is easier to follow.

post #7 of 78 Old 03-21-2018, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackGuyver View Post
True and @MrRobotoPlus likely has an integrated Intel CPU/GPU, so he should be good. I'm trying to find Tyler's Video Card setup to attach to this post as he'll need to do that to get it to work. I put some instructions about the settings used, but Tyler's guide has lots of screenshots and is easier to follow.
I just want to make sure he has the proper GPU. If his computer uses an add-on card from another maker, he could be SOL...

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #8 of 78 Old 03-21-2018, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2921 Post(s)
Liked: 3569
Quote:
I'm trying to find Tyler's Video Card setup to attach to this post as he'll need to do that to get it to work. I put some instructions about the settings used, but Tyler's guide has lots of screenshots and is easier to follow.
Tyler from SpectraCAL has posted a Guide for Intel GPU for Dolby Vision Setup with CalMAN here: LG 2017 OLED Calibration Thread and Settings
MackGuyver likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #9 of 78 Old 03-21-2018, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
GPU is an Intel Iris
post #10 of 78 Old 03-22-2018, 02:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRobotoPlus View Post
For Dolby Vision calibration you can use a MBP w/ intel GPU in BootCamp but not in a Virtual Machine.
MrRobotoPlus likes this.

post #11 of 78 Old 03-23-2018, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Tyler from SpectraCAL has posted a Guide for Intel GPU for Dolby Vision Setup with CalMAN here: LG 2017 OLED Calibration Thread and Settings
Thanks Ted! I've added it to the original post.

post #12 of 78 Old 03-25-2018, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Kudos to McGuyver for providing this great Workflow, it worked fine for me so far.

The "so far" said, because a friend ended up with a purple Image - by using a different workflow, that to be said.

I now have done all Steps until Step 18, so a USB Thumbdrive is ready to go, but before I go on i have two Questions.

1) If I end up with the same Issue (purple Image) ist there a way to roll back to my "old" Setting, by performing a Factory Reset?

2) As i have done some minor changes to RGB Levels in Step 15 to 17, do i leave them as set in Step 15 to 17, after performing Step 19 "Uploading the new settings"?
I am asking because until now i thought by uploading the File from the USB thumb drive, changes will take affect "under the hood", and by leaving the Settings as performed in Steps 15 to 17 I end up with double performing the changes a) via the File Upload + b) my Settings performed manually in the Steps 15 to 17.

PS: Special Kudos to TED for being such a great Guy and always helping me out over the last 2 Years!
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #13 of 78 Old 03-25-2018, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf352 View Post
Kudos to McGuyver for providing this great Workflow, it worked fine for me so far.

The "so far" said, because a friend ended up with a purple Image - by using a different workflow, that to be said.

I now have done all Steps until Step 18, so a USB Thumbdrive is ready to go, but before I go on i have two Questions.

1) If I end up with the same Issue (purple Image) ist there a way to roll back to my "old" Setting, by performing a Factory Reset?

2) As i have done some minor changes to RGB Levels in Step 15 to 17, do i leave them as set in Step 15 to 17, after performing Step 19 "Uploading the new settings"?
I am asking because until now i thought by uploading the File from the USB thumb drive, changes will take affect "under the hood", and by leaving the Settings as performed in Steps 15 to 17 I end up with double performing the changes a) via the File Upload + b) my Settings performed manually in the Steps 15 to 17.

PS: Special Kudos to TED for being such a great Guy and always helping me out over the last 2 Years!
1) My understanding is that you can reset the default DV settings by choosing "No" when you load the thumb drive and play DV material. Obviously you would have to play it again to do that, and I haven't done it, so someone else will have to confirm that. If you're friend is getting a purple screen, it sounds like there's something off on the metadata / Integral settings.

2) I'll have to check, but I think the WB settings get zeroed out when you load the DV profile via thumbdrive.

post #14 of 78 Old 04-02-2018, 03:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked: 1348
post #15 of 78 Old 04-02-2018, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
I have confirmed that the same process can be used with the HDFury Vertex.
Thanks, and I'll add that to the top post. That's good news as there are many more uses for the Vertex vs. the Integral.

post #16 of 78 Old 04-03-2018, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Will get my hdfury integral in 2 days.
Anybody else had success calibrating DV? Anybody can confirm that the settings can be resetted if the calibration attempt fails (for whatever reason) ?

Dont want to screw up this, have a lot experience in calibrating displays - but DV is completely new to me, and it will be the first time I have the chance to do DV-calibration

@MackGuyver
Maybe you should add the points that the display will drift like hell cause of the high luminance and heat it produces (at least I think that it will for sure)...
So:
1.Pattern Insertion Function should be enabled in Calman (I am using 50% full field window, every 10 seconds, duration 2 seconds while calibrating SDR)
2. Betwenn the readings (while analyzing the readings) you should feed some various content to let the display "cool down" (I have special "displaywash" pattern on my Pattern Generator)
3. Disable ASBL in SM if possible, turn back on after calibrating.

Maybe the more experienced calibrators can add something to this...
post #17 of 78 Old 04-03-2018, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj11 View Post
Will get my hdfury integral in 2 days.

Anybody else had success calibrating DV? Anybody can confirm that the settings can be resetted if the calibration attempt fails (for whatever reason) ?

Dont want to screw up this, have a lot experience in calibrating displays - but DV is completely new to me, and it will be the first time I have the chance to do DV-calibration

@MackGuyver

Maybe you should add the points that the display will drift like hell cause of the high luminance and heat it produces (at least I think that it will for sure)...

So:

1.Pattern Insertion Function should be enabled in Calman (I am using 50% full field window, every 10 seconds, duration 2 seconds while calibrating SDR)

2. Betwenn the readings (while analyzing the readings) you should feed some various content to let the display "cool down" (I have special "displaywash" pattern on my Pattern Generator)

3. Disable ASBL in SM if possible, turn back on after calibrating.

Maybe the more experienced calibrators can add something to this...

For HDR it's better to use much more "aggressive" Inseration Values

I recommend every 5 seconds a 10% Window (everything higher doesn't help to cool down the display and has the opposite effect) for at least 5 seconds.

TV: LG OLED 65C8 Sources: Apple TV 4K, OPPO UDP-203 Video Processor: TruVue eeColor
Probe: C6-HDR, i1 Display Pro OEM Rev.B (2018), i1Pro2 OEM Rev.E Software: Lightspace HTL, Calman 2018 Enthusiast
post #18 of 78 Old 04-04-2018, 01:36 AM

Sounds plausible...

Will test it maybe tonight, my hdfury is waiting at home
post #19 of 78 Old 04-04-2018, 01:46 AM

Stupid question: is it possible to use a different pattern generator than the internal GPU? I am asking cause I have a RPi as pattern generator, but Point 11 says:

11. Click Next to advance CalMAN to the Verification of Correct Display Mode screen showing the correct and incorrect display. At this point, you should see the red/yellow test pattern on the TV

I think my PG cannot show this (only windowed pattern), or is it only to be sure that youre calibrating the right display and does not really matter? I can test that tonight, but maybe I can save time if anyone can answer me this question
post #20 of 78 Old 04-04-2018, 03:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #21 of 78 Old 04-04-2018, 03:33 AM

OK so internal GPU only...
Thanks!

EDIT: My PG is controlled by CalMan over the Unified Pattern Generator Control Interface. So with a HDFury inbetween it, is there no chance that It will work?
post #22 of 78 Old 04-04-2018, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK so internal GPU only...
Thanks!

EDIT: My PG is controlled by CalMan over the Unified Pattern Generator Control Interface. So with a HDFury inbetween it, is there no chance that It will work?
No, you have to use the maximized window generated by CalMan.
dlj11 likes this.
post #23 of 78 Old 04-04-2018, 04:12 AM

Thanks again! Maybe I will give it a try tonight (when wife and kid are in bed )...
post #24 of 78 Old 04-17-2018, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Requirements
  1. 2017 LG OLED Television
Hey guys/gals,
can you confirm that it also work with 2017 LG LED Televisions? In particular the thumb drive procedure.

Thanks,
Miki

Last edited by Anger.miki; 04-17-2018 at 07:39 AM.
post #25 of 78 Old 04-17-2018, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger.miki View Post
Hey guys/gals,

can you confirm that it also work with 2017 LG LED Televisions? In particular the thumb drive procedure.

Thanks,

Miki

In theory yes. I don’t see why it wouldn’t, but I have never personally tested it.

post #26 of 78 Old 04-17-2018, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Thank you for your reply Tyler, I will report back on Thursday so as to unravel any doubt.
post #27 of 78 Old 04-17-2018, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Stupid question: is it possible to use a different pattern generator than the internal GPU? I am asking cause I have a RPi as pattern generator, but Point 11 says:

I think my PG cannot show this (only windowed pattern), or is it only to be sure that youre calibrating the right display and does not really matter? I can test that tonight, but maybe I can save time if anyone can answer me this question

Only CalMAN’s built in pattern window or the Murideo 6G/VideoForge Pro are able to calibrate DV on the 2017/2018 LG TVs.

post #28 of 78 Old 04-18-2018, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
  • Select your meter (in my case the i1Display, with LCD LED as the meter mode)
Is there a reason to select LCD LED as target display while calibrating an LG OLED?
post #29 of 78 Old 04-18-2018, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger.miki View Post
Is there a reason to select LCD LED as target display while calibrating an LG OLED?

It is the closest meter profile to WOLED if you don’t have a spectro to create your own profile.

If you look at the SPD, white LED and White OLED are very similar.
MackGuyver likes this.

post #30 of 78 Old 04-18-2018, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Roger that. Thanks Tyler! In my case, considering that I have an iPro 2 and a 2017 LG Edge LED Local Dimming, what do you recommend as a target display, always LCD LED? Should I leave the Local Dimming at the factory setting or should I disable it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page