What gear is 'Good enough' for a Calibration beginner? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 Old 03-24-2018, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
griffindodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
What gear is 'Good enough' for a Calibration beginner?

In the past for my TV and PJ I've always been happy to just use calibration disc's, my eyeballs and call it a day. But I'd like to take a step forward and at least try using a Calibration tool and software.

All of my content comes from a HTPC, directly plugged into my projector or via a Shield TV plugged into my living room HDR 4K TV.

On the HTPC I use Kodi/dsplayer/madVR to play SDR and convert HDR for display with my Sony HW45ES on a home made blackout cloth screen.

I'm starting to plan out a much more light controlled dedicated theater space this year, but while that is being built I'd like to start learning the basics of calibration and would like to hear recommendations for a budget friendly starting point.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by griffindodd; 03-24-2018 at 11:23 AM.
griffindodd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 58 Old 03-24-2018, 04:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Vishwa Somayaji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Edmonton,Alberta Canada
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 60
If you are using HTPC, then things will be good for you. Your next purchase should be X-rite i1 Display pro(retail of OEM). The advantage of retail is that it works with i1 profiler software from X-rite(included) and it will do it automatically. Does a good job. X-rite software doesn't work with OEM meters but you can use other free or commercial software packages. The newer OEM ver B meter is certified up to 2000 nits.
Vishwa Somayaji is offline  
post #3 of 58 Old 03-27-2018, 12:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I am actually wondering the same thing as the OP.

I have 2 OLED TVs that I just got calibrated professionally and now i want to try to calibrate my other TVs myself. I was thinking about the Xrite meter. The Pattern Generator Calman recommends is like $1,500, is this necessary? What are other options to calibrate TVs? Should I purchase the Calman Home Enthusiast software and couple it with the X-Rite i1Display Pro?
What do I use for patterns? How does the Chromapure 3.0 compare? Is this the competitor to Calman software?

LGOLED65C7P | OPPO UPD-203 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Klipsch RP-280F X2 | Klipsch RP-450C | Klipsch RP-160M X2 | KEF Q100 X2 | HSU Research VTF-3 MK5
LGOLED65C8P
LGOLED55E7P
Fivez is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 58 Old 03-27-2018, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cardoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beyond The Wall.
Posts: 4,780
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2530 Post(s)
Liked: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivez View Post
I am actually wondering the same thing as the OP.

I have 2 OLED TVs that I just got calibrated professionally and now i want to try to calibrate my other TVs myself. I was thinking about the Xrite meter. The Pattern Generator Calman recommends is like $1,500, is this necessary? What are other options to calibrate TVs? Should I purchase the Calman Home Enthusiast software and couple it with the X-Rite i1Display Pro?
What do I use for patterns? How does the Chromapure 3.0 compare? Is this the competitor to Calman software?
I use Calman home theater and their free app Mobile forge that I have installed on an Android box. So the Android box becomes the pattern generator. Works well.


https://calman.spectracal.com/mobileforge.html
Fivez likes this.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Little Dot hybrid tube amp with GE tubes.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
cardoski is offline  
post #5 of 58 Old 03-27-2018, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 6,449
Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4500 Post(s)
Liked: 1685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivez View Post
What do I use for patterns? How does the Chromapure 3.0 compare? Is this the competitor to Calman software?
You should also take a look at HCFR. It has the option of using your laptop as pattern generator.
Dominic Chan is offline  
post #6 of 58 Old 03-28-2018, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ConnecTEDDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 7,752
Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2921 Post(s)
Liked: 3569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivez View Post
I am actually wondering the same thing as the OP.

I have 2 OLED TVs that I just got calibrated professionally and now i want to try to calibrate my other TVs myself. I was thinking about the Xrite meter. The Pattern Generator Calman recommends is like $1,500, is this necessary? What are other options to calibrate TVs? Should I purchase the Calman Home Enthusiast software and couple it with the X-Rite i1Display Pro?
What do I use for patterns? How does the Chromapure 3.0 compare? Is this the competitor to Calman software?
Hi, If you decide to get your own meters and start the journey, the ideal meter to get is the i1Display PRO (colorimeter) and if you want to improve it more, you can add a spectrophotometer (like i1PRO2) to use it for creating a unique meter correction table for each of your displays, to improve your colorimeter color accuracy. To see why you need both or a lot of other details generally about these 2 meters see there.

For calibration software for your LG, any calibration software you will choose can provide you nearly the same end results, adjusting your display internal calibration controls. The differences will be to layout interface/workflow.

The difference of free software vs. paid software is the customer support (and supported hardware). If you choose free software (like HCFR) there no guides (up-to-date), no manual and support will come from other users if you post a question to HCFR thread or from developer which is very helpful (Zoyd) (and some experienced users may reply) or by searching already posted questions/topics.

Paid software has manual, guides, customer support via email/forum from each company. (not all paid solution companies have proper support, and not all companies have up-to-date guides)

Using the free software you can do SDR and HDR10 calibration.

For Dolby Vision you will need to buy CalMAN Enthousiast and HD Fury Integral, also it will require from you to have a notebook with Intel GPU, to be able to generate DV patterns, procedure explained here, it will seem pretty complex for a newcomer to calibration: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...libration.html

You can start with SDR and HDR10 (with free software), and do DV in later time, once you will be involved deeper to calibration stuff.

About calibration software there free solutions, you can download:

1) HCFR from here with support forum topic: HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software

2) The Free DPS version of LightSpace CMS can be used also with an i1Display PRO meter, there available to read various guides on the Light Illusion website.

The specific guide for use with LightSpace DPS is here.

But there is a lot of potentially useful/interesting info in the various guides on the website also.

Support forum topic: Free LightSpace DPS - Manual Display Calibration

There is a HCFR tutorial from a forum member here: The certainly not complete user guide to get to know and calibrate your TV

After selecting your calibration software, you have to find a calibration disk which had been created specifically for each software because there differences between calibration disk that can affect the final result when you will use not proper patterns for each measurement run.

You will playback the calibration disk from the source you use to playback your movies, to include to the adjustments you will make any player internal processing/colorspace conversions inaccuracies, to have your full video chain calibrated.

If you will decide to use a notebook as pattern generator you have to compare fist and see if it's matching a blu-ray player (with YCbCr output colorspace) and using a calibration disk as a reference, if you see that you have agreement with black/white/gamma/color gamut etc, then you can use the notebook or HDMI stick solution.

For improve your calibration knowledge, here are some useful links generally for calibration:

http://www.tlvexp.ca/

Video Calibration From The Inside - Volume I - 2nd Edition-1

http://chromapure.com/demos.asp

http://chromapure.com/ChromaPureManual.pdf

http://www.spectracal.com/downloads/...n%20How-To.pdf

http://calman.spectracal.com/user-guides.html

http://calman.spectracal.com/webinars.html

https://www.youtube.com/user/SpectraCal

http://lightillusion.com/why_calibrate.html

http://lightillusion.com/delta-e.html

http://lightillusion.com/manual_cali...ots_guide.html
Fivez, fafrd, Rayjr and 3 others like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
ConnecTEDDD is online now  
post #7 of 58 Old 03-28-2018, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 6,703
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3325 Post(s)
Liked: 1877
I have calibrated all my computer and tv screens since forever it seems using spydercolor products similar to this...think I own the 3 model...https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...B&gclsrc=aw.ds


after doing enough of em, I can kinda trust just using a dvd...

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
torii is offline  
post #8 of 58 Old 03-28-2018, 06:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffindodd View Post
What gear is 'Good enough' for a Calibration beginner?
@D-Nice @chadb

LGOLED55C7P - Calman Enthusiast - I1Display / I1Pro
PeteNeat is offline  
post #9 of 58 Old 03-29-2018, 05:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi, If you decide to get your own meters and start the journey, the ideal meter to get is the i1Display PRO (colorimeter) and if you want to improve it more, you can add a spectrophotometer (like i1PRO2) to use it for creating a unique meter correction table for each of your displays, to improve your colorimeter color accuracy. To see why you need both or a lot of other details generally about these 2 meters see there.

For calibration software for your LG, any calibration software you will choose can provide you nearly the same end results, adjusting your display internal calibration controls. The differences will be to layout interface/workflow.

The difference of free software vs. paid software is the customer support (and supported hardware). If you choose free software (like HCFR) there no guides (up-to-date), no manual and support will come from other users if you post a question to HCFR thread or from developer which is very helpful (Zoyd) (and some experienced users may reply) or by searching already posted questions/topics.

Paid software has manual, guides, customer support via email/forum from each company. (not all paid solution companies have proper support, and not all companies have up-to-date guides)

Using the free software you can do SDR and HDR10 calibration.

For Dolby Vision you will need to buy CalMAN Enthousiast and HD Fury Integral, also it will require from you to have a notebook with Intel GPU, to be able to generate DV patterns, procedure explained here, it will seem pretty complex for a newcomer to calibration: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...libration.html

You can start with SDR and HDR10 (with free software), and do DV in later time, once you will be involved deeper to calibration stuff.

About calibration software there free solutions, you can download:

1) HCFR from here with support forum topic: HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software

2) The Free DPS version of LightSpace CMS can be used also with an i1Display PRO meter, there available to read various guides on the Light Illusion website.

The specific guide for use with LightSpace DPS is here.

But there is a lot of potentially useful/interesting info in the various guides on the website also.

Support forum topic: Free LightSpace DPS - Manual Display Calibration

There is a HCFR tutorial from a forum member here: The certainly not complete user guide to get to know and calibrate your TV

After selecting your calibration software, you have to find a calibration disk which had been created specifically for each software because there differences between calibration disk that can affect the final result when you will use not proper patterns for each measurement run.

You will playback the calibration disk from the source you use to playback your movies, to include to the adjustments you will make any player internal processing/colorspace conversions inaccuracies, to have your full video chain calibrated.

If you will decide to use a notebook as pattern generator you have to compare fist and see if it's matching a blu-ray player (with YCbCr output colorspace) and using a calibration disk as a reference, if you see that you have agreement with black/white/gamma/color gamut etc, then you can use the notebook or HDMI stick solution.

For improve your calibration knowledge, here are some useful links generally for calibration:

http://www.tlvexp.ca/

Video Calibration From The Inside - Volume I - 2nd Edition-1

http://chromapure.com/demos.asp

http://chromapure.com/ChromaPureManual.pdf

http://www.spectracal.com/downloads/...n%20How-To.pdf

http://calman.spectracal.com/user-guides.html

http://calman.spectracal.com/webinars.html

https://www.youtube.com/user/SpectraCal

http://lightillusion.com/why_calibrate.html

http://lightillusion.com/delta-e.html

http://lightillusion.com/manual_cali...ots_guide.html
So helpful! Thank you for the input. Yes. the journey begins in 2018.

LGOLED65C7P | OPPO UPD-203 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Klipsch RP-280F X2 | Klipsch RP-450C | Klipsch RP-160M X2 | KEF Q100 X2 | HSU Research VTF-3 MK5
LGOLED65C8P
LGOLED55E7P
Fivez is offline  
post #10 of 58 Old 03-29-2018, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
griffindodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Thank you for all the replies, I accidentally didn't subscribe to the thread so didn't know people were responding .... oops!
griffindodd is offline  
post #11 of 58 Old 03-29-2018, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4770
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi, If you decide to get your own meters and start the journey, the ideal meter to get is the i1Display PRO (colorimeter) and if you want to improve it more, you can add a spectrophotometer (like i1PRO2) to use it for creating a unique meter correction table for each of your displays, to improve your colorimeter color accuracy. To see why you need both or a lot of other details generally about these 2 meters see there.

For calibration software for your LG, any calibration software you will choose can provide you nearly the same end results, adjusting your display internal calibration controls. The differences will be to layout interface/workflow.

The difference of free software vs. paid software is the customer support (and supported hardware). If you choose free software (like HCFR) there no guides (up-to-date), no manual and support will come from other users if you post a question to HCFR thread or from developer which is very helpful (Zoyd) (and some experienced users may reply) or by searching already posted questions/topics.

Paid software has manual, guides, customer support via email/forum from each company. (not all paid solution companies have proper support, and not all companies have up-to-date guides)

Using the free software you can do SDR and HDR10 calibration.

For Dolby Vision you will need to buy CalMAN Enthousiast and HD Fury Integral, also it will require from you to have a notebook with Intel GPU, to be able to generate DV patterns, procedure explained here, it will seem pretty complex for a newcomer to calibration: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...libration.html

You can start with SDR and HDR10 (with free software), and do DV in later time, once you will be involved deeper to calibration stuff.

About calibration software there free solutions, you can download:

1) HCFR from here with support forum topic: HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software

2) The Free DPS version of LightSpace CMS can be used also with an i1Display PRO meter, there available to read various guides on the Light Illusion website.

The specific guide for use with LightSpace DPS is here.

But there is a lot of potentially useful/interesting info in the various guides on the website also.

Support forum topic: Free LightSpace DPS - Manual Display Calibration

There is a HCFR tutorial from a forum member here: The certainly not complete user guide to get to know and calibrate your TV

After selecting your calibration software, you have to find a calibration disk which had been created specifically for each software because there differences between calibration disk that can affect the final result when you will use not proper patterns for each measurement run.

You will playback the calibration disk from the source you use to playback your movies, to include to the adjustments you will make any player internal processing/colorspace conversions inaccuracies, to have your full video chain calibrated.

If you will decide to use a notebook as pattern generator you have to compare fist and see if it's matching a blu-ray player (with YCbCr output colorspace) and using a calibration disk as a reference, if you see that you have agreement with black/white/gamma/color gamut etc, then you can use the notebook or HDMI stick solution.

For improve your calibration knowledge, here are some useful links generally for calibration:

http://www.tlvexp.ca/

Video Calibration From The Inside - Volume I - 2nd Edition-1

http://chromapure.com/demos.asp

http://chromapure.com/ChromaPureManual.pdf

http://www.spectracal.com/downloads/...n%20How-To.pdf

http://calman.spectracal.com/user-guides.html

http://calman.spectracal.com/webinars.html

https://www.youtube.com/user/SpectraCal

http://lightillusion.com/why_calibrate.html

http://lightillusion.com/delta-e.html

http://lightillusion.com/manual_cali...ots_guide.html
Very helpful post, Ted, thanks. You helped me start down this same journey 3 years ago and I have found the combination of i1DisplayPro, HCFR, and your zlightspace Disk to be very powerful (especially for near-black).

The AVSHD709 and GCD freeware patterns are a great way to start/learn but as soon as you run into a dituation where there are patterns missing that you wish were there, I found your disk to be a great (and modest) investment.

So I'm pretty happy with my ability to dial-in SDR using this solution but have held off diving into HDR calibration while awaiting thr dust to settle, and on that score, I have a couple questions for you:

HDR10 calibration - this is pretty similar to SDR calibration but requires a different set of patterns, correct? Is Maschiolo's (sp?) disk still the only source of HDR10 calibration patterns or are there other options today?

DV Calibration - your post makes it sound as though the only way yo calibrate DV is using Calman Enthusiast software - is that some exclusive agreement between Dolby and Calman?

Do you see that situation changing in the future?

Do you think it will ever be possible for freeware like HCFR to calibrate Dolby Vision or has Dolby made it clear that they are only going to enable certain calibration solutions?

Is the need for Calman Enthusiast tied in sime way to the 'Dolby Golden Files' available for each specific Dolby-Vision-enabled TV?

And I guess the need for HD Fury Integral is to feed patterns to the TV that have the proper content protections in place, correct? Is there any way to feed Dolby Vision calibration patterns through a UHD Bluray player?

The overarching question I have for you is how you believe this situation of Dolby Vision calibration is likely to evolve over the coming year or two(how/when will the 'dust settle').

I have to be honest that since most of the HDR we watch is DV, I don't have much motivation to perform HDR10 calibration (even though I know I can). And while I woukd be ready to dive into DV calibration, being forced to purchase an expensive piece of proprietary software to do so just rubs me the wrong way.

If this is unlikely to ever change (because Dolby has decided this is the way thry want calibration of their technology to be managed), so be it (and I'll jus need to decide when DV calibration is worth it to me).

But if this situation is likely to evolve further and eventually alternative/less-expensive solutions are likely go be supported for DV calibration, I'm IK holding off for another year or two..l

Your perspective on this greatly appreciated.
fafrd is offline  
post #12 of 58 Old 03-29-2018, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rolls-Royce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victorville, CA
Posts: 4,002
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 1177
Dolby Vision production - content or patterns - and decoding require licensing from Dolby ($$$). This goes for all their Intellectual Property. It isn't likely to change in the near future, because that's how they make their money.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 03-29-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Rolls-Royce is offline  
post #13 of 58 Old 03-29-2018, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
Dolby Vision production - content or patterns - requires licensing from Dolby ($$$). This goes for all their Intellectual Property. It isn't likely to change in the near future, because that's how they make their money.
Gotcha, but I'd still like to understand in more detail:

Does this mean Calman pays a Dolby Licensing fee that none of the other calibration packages pay, and so it is the only way to calibrate DV (at least until another vendor or two gets on boatd and offers to pay as well)?

Does this mean HD Fury pays a License fee to Dolby to enable the HD Fury Integral to put out DV-compatible patterns?

Does this mean that anyone wanting to create a DV UHD Bluray disk full of calibration patterns needs to pay Dolby a license fee to do so?

I'm still not understanding whether the issue is merely one of acquiring a Dolby-approved (and licensed) method of DV patterns or Dolby has exclusive control of the calibration settings within thr TV itself so that only Dolby-approved (and licensed) calibration software can be used to perform calibration of Dolby Vision-enabled TVs...

Are you saying the only way to perform DV calibration will be Calman for all time, or might their eventually be additional calibration packages supporting DV calibration (once they have paid Dolby the requisite licensing fees)?
fafrd is offline  
post #14 of 58 Old 03-29-2018, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
griffindodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
I picked up a used/unopened i1 Display Pro from Amazon for $211 inc two day shipping (and 5% cash back as I used my Amazon CC), seems like a decent price, I'm looking forward to putting this to work on my projector and HTPC.

Thanks for the guidance.
Brian Hampton likes this.
griffindodd is offline  
post #15 of 58 Old 03-29-2018, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4770
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffindodd View Post
I picked up a used/unopened i1 Display Pro from Amazon for $211 inc two day shipping (and 5% cash back as I used my Amazon CC), seems like a decent price, I'm looking forward to putting this to work on my projector and HTPC.

Thanks for the guidance.
Good deal (I got about the same 3-years ago ).

Best way to start is to download HCFR SW along with AVSHD709 and GCD test patrerns (all here on AVS).

You've got to have a computer close to your TV (laptop is perfect) and to e computer-savvy enough to get software installed and everything hooked up.

But the first time you see a RGB reading coming out of your computer screen from a pattern/rectangle being displayed on your TV, you are on your way.

It's worth reading some of the basic tutorials available here on the Forum...

p.s. just saw you have a projector, and I have no experience with that. You may want to learn calibration using a basic TV first while asking in the projection threads whether there is anything additional / special needed for projector calibration...
fafrd is offline  
post #16 of 58 Old 03-29-2018, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rolls-Royce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victorville, CA
Posts: 4,002
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 1177
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Gotcha, but I'd still like to understand in more detail:

Does this mean Calman pays a Dolby Licensing fee that none of the other calibration packages pay, and so it is the only way to calibrate DV (at least until another vendor or two gets on boatd and offers to pay as well)?

Currently, yes.

Does this mean HD Fury pays a License fee to Dolby to enable the HD Fury Integral to put out DV-compatible patterns?

The Integral does not produce patterns at all. Nor do either of the other HDFury boxes. The Integral can send an LG-specific infoframe to put the TV into the special DV calibration mode. You still need CalMAN and an Intel GPU to generate the necessary patterns.

Does this mean that anyone wanting to create a DV UHD Bluray disk full of calibration patterns needs to pay Dolby a license fee to do so?

Yep. Just ask Ryan Masciola. And the principals at Chromapure/Accupel. Plus, for a disc-based solution, you'd also need a DV-capable UHD player.

I'm still not understanding whether the issue is merely one of acquiring a Dolby-approved (and licensed) method of DV patterns or Dolby has exclusive control of the calibration settings within thr TV itself so that only Dolby-approved (and licensed) calibration software can be used to perform calibration of Dolby Vision-enabled TVs...

Actually, it's both, more or less. If my understanding is correct, Dolby does not allow access to the DV tone mapping scheme, so "DV calibration" on the LGs is done in a special mode. It's analogous to creating a Golden Reference file for that particular display.

Are you saying the only way to perform DV calibration will be Calman for all time, or might their eventually be additional calibration packages supporting DV calibration (once they have paid Dolby the requisite licensing fees)?

That I don't know. The terms of the LG/Dolby/Spectracal licensing agreements, and whether or not they include any "exclusivity" provisions, are unknown.
For all the reasons above, I don't believe a "free" DV calibration solution is in the cards anytime soon.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 03-29-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Rolls-Royce is offline  
post #17 of 58 Old 03-29-2018, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
For all the reasons above, I don't believe a "free" DV calibration solution is in the cards anytime soon.
Very helpful, thanks.

You've convinced me that for at least the next 1+ years, Calman + HD Fury Integral will be the only option to calibrate Dolby Vision.

Approximately how much do those two components cost?

Renting/lending a meter is more complicated/questionable, but the idea of a few enthusiats banding together to share on the costs of a Calman license + HD Fury Integral (and possibly also a basic Intel laptop for calibration) could be a thought whose time has come...

What I'd really like to see is Calman offerng an Enthusiast Rental option (or limited-time / use-once option). Unfortunately, thrir focus seems to be much more on the Pro Calibrator crowd than the DIY Home Enthusiast (despite the name of their product).

Anyone else in the SF Bay Area interested in going in on a shared DV calibration package?
fafrd is offline  
post #18 of 58 Old 03-29-2018, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rolls-Royce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victorville, CA
Posts: 4,002
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 1177
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Very helpful, thanks.

You've convinced me that for at least the next 1+ years, Calman + HD Fury Integral will be the only option to calibrate Dolby Vision.

Approximately how much do those two components cost?

Renting/lending a meter is more complicated/questionable, but the idea of a few enthusiats banding together to share on the costs of a Calman license + HD Fury Integral (and possibly also a basic Intel laptop for calibration) could be a thought whose time has come...

What I'd really like to see is Calman offerng an Enthusiast Rental option (or limited-time / use-once option). Unfortunately, thrir focus seems to be much more on the Pro Calibrator crowd than the DIY Home Enthusiast (despite the name of their product).

Anyone else in the SF Bay Area interested in going in on a shared DV calibration package?
CalMAN Enthusiast is $399. That gives you autocal on selected LG, Sharp, Samsung, and Panasonic TVs and certain brands of projectors plus autocal with 3D LUTs on Radiance and DVDO video processors and eeColor LUT boxes. It also includes computer monitor calibration (ICC profiles) on up to 3 computers. The HDFury Integral is $179, IIRC.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
Rolls-Royce is offline  
post #19 of 58 Old 03-29-2018, 07:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Also, DV calibration is not as easy because you have to upload a profile for your TVs. The professional who did my Oleds had all the gear necessary to do SDR and HDR then when it was time to do DV, he sighed, then pulled out a USB and had to get my OLED to recognize the profile and use that to calibrate. And yes, he was using Calman software with DV workflow.

LGOLED65C7P | OPPO UPD-203 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Klipsch RP-280F X2 | Klipsch RP-450C | Klipsch RP-160M X2 | KEF Q100 X2 | HSU Research VTF-3 MK5
LGOLED65C8P
LGOLED55E7P
Fivez is offline  
post #20 of 58 Old 03-29-2018, 07:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Also, wanted to add, I purchased the Xrite i1 Display pro, just need the blu ray disc i think from Ted and i'll use HCFR to get started.

Thank you everyone for responding and getting me to spend money I shouldn't!!!

Also, thanks OP griffin for getting this started. I imagine in 3 - 5 years i'll be senior member here having spent countless hours and about $8k in specialized calibration gear. LOL

LGOLED65C7P | OPPO UPD-203 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Klipsch RP-280F X2 | Klipsch RP-450C | Klipsch RP-160M X2 | KEF Q100 X2 | HSU Research VTF-3 MK5
LGOLED65C8P
LGOLED55E7P
Fivez is offline  
post #21 of 58 Old 03-29-2018, 07:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Vishwa Somayaji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Edmonton,Alberta Canada
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I can attest to the fact that once you get hooked on to calibrating, there is no going back. You will spend countless hours but you won't regret it. It is so gratifying when you see the three bars(RGB) all unequal and then slowly become equal and the Delta E keeps going down. I too bought a meter recently and whether my TV is better or not, I feel I already got my money's worth in the use of the meter, so much so that I am thinking of buying an i1 Pro 2(used, not new). Good luck with your calibration.
PS: Ted's calibration disc is invaluable. It is a treasure trove.
fafrd and Fivez like this.
Vishwa Somayaji is offline  
post #22 of 58 Old 03-29-2018, 11:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
CalMAN Enthusiast is $399. That gives you autocal on selected LG, Sharp, Samsung, and Panasonic TVs and certain brands of projectors plus autocal with 3D LUTs on Radiance and DVDO video processors and eeColor LUT boxes. It also includes computer monitor calibration (ICC profiles) on up to 3 computers. The HDFury Integral is $179, IIRC.
Thanks. For a professional calibrator, those costs are a no-brainer, but that's a big nut to swallow for DIY software you're only going to use one weekend-per-year.

It would be much more palatable if Calman had a monthly rental model or a 1-time use model.

Or alternatively, if 4-5 Video Enthusiasts in the same area band together and chip in $200-250 each, seems as though $800-1000 could allow you to put together an end-to-end solution (possibly without colorimeters since those are probably the only delicate component...).
fafrd is offline  
post #23 of 58 Old 03-29-2018, 11:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivez View Post
Also, DV calibration is not as easy because you have to upload a profile for your TVs. The professional who did my Oleds had all the gear necessary to do SDR and HDR then when it was time to do DV, he sighed, then pulled out a USB and had to get my OLED to recognize the profile and use that to calibrate. And yes, he was using Calman software with DV workflow.
Does this mean that with Calman Enthusiast you do not get the Dolby Vision Golden File needed for an LG OLED?

If so, how is the necessary Golden File acquired?
fafrd is offline  
post #24 of 58 Old 03-30-2018, 05:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Does this mean that with Calman Enthusiast you do not get the Dolby Vision Golden File needed for an LG OLED?

If so, how is the necessary Golden File acquired?
I really do not know that fafrd.

I think the profile on the USB may come from Dolby?

LGOLED65C7P | OPPO UPD-203 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Klipsch RP-280F X2 | Klipsch RP-450C | Klipsch RP-160M X2 | KEF Q100 X2 | HSU Research VTF-3 MK5
LGOLED65C8P
LGOLED55E7P
Fivez is offline  
post #25 of 58 Old 03-30-2018, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rolls-Royce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victorville, CA
Posts: 4,002
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 1177
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Thanks. For a professional calibrator, those costs are a no-brainer, but that's a big nut to swallow for DIY software you're only going to use one weekend-per-year.

It would be much more palatable if Calman had a monthly rental model or a 1-time use model.

Or alternatively, if 4-5 Video Enthusiasts in the same area band together and chip in $200-250 each, seems as though $800-1000 could allow you to put together an end-to-end solution (possibly without colorimeters since those are probably the only delicate component...).
Honestly, it isn't a one-time-per-year use thing. Notice all the hand-wringing in the flat panel forums every time there's a firmware update to one popular set or another. People are concerned that their settings will no longer be valid, and in some cases, that is true. You also can calibrate all your displays, be they projector, flat panel, CRT, plasma, computer monitor, whatever. Not all will be do-able via AutoCal, but the program does manual calibration as well, the same as your free solution. Like you, I'm not a professional calibrator, just a DIY guy. Nor am I a shill for Spectracal, but I have owned CalMAN since version 2.0. I also own LightSpace HTL. The additional capability such as autocalibration that you can get with commercial software does help justify the additional cost.
On a lighter note, from something in one of your previous posts, I take it you live in the Bay area. Talk about cost...

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 03-30-2018 at 07:22 AM.
Rolls-Royce is offline  
post #26 of 58 Old 03-30-2018, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rolls-Royce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victorville, CA
Posts: 4,002
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 1177
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Does this mean that with Calman Enthusiast you do not get the Dolby Vision Golden File needed for an LG OLED?

If so, how is the necessary Golden File acquired?
LG doesn't use a publicly-available Golden Reference file like Vizio does. By measuring and calibrating the set in the special DV calibration mode, then uploading the generated data to the set, you are essentially producing a Golden Reference for that individual TV which is then used while watching DV content.
fafrd likes this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
Rolls-Royce is offline  
post #27 of 58 Old 03-30-2018, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
Honestly, it isn't a one-time-per-year use thing. Notice all the hand-wringing in the flat panel forums every time there's a firmware update to one popular set or another. People are concerned that their settings will no longer be valid, and in some cases, that is true. You also can calibrate all your displays, be they projector, flat panel, CRT, plasma, computer monitor, whatever. Not all will be do-able via AutoCal, but the program does manual calibration as well, the same as your free solution. Like you, I'm not a professional calibrator, just a DIY guy. Nor am I a shill for Spectracal, but I have owned CalMAN since version 2.0. I also own LightSpace HTL. The additional capability such as autocalibration that you can get with commercial software does help justify the additional cost.
On a lighter note, from something in one of your previous posts, [b{I take it you live in the Bay area. Talk about cost.[/b]..
Now there's a plan! Pack up and move from the Bay Area to the Midwest so I can afford professional calibration software!

On another note, I think I saw that HDR calibration may require a different colorimeter. Is it correct that the i1DisplayPro maxes out at 1000 cd/2. If so, it should still be OK for 2018 WOLEDs but might not be by next year (and certainly not by the time LG comes out with top-emission, probably by 2020...).
Brian Hampton likes this.
fafrd is offline  
post #28 of 58 Old 03-30-2018, 10:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Vishwa Somayaji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Edmonton,Alberta Canada
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Now there's a plan! Pack up and move from the Bay Area to the Midwest so I can afford professional calibration software!

On another note, I think I saw that HDR calibration may require a different colorimeter. Is it correct that the i1DisplayPro maxes out at 1000 cd/2. If so, it should still be OK for 2018 WOLEDs but might not be by next year (and certainly not by the time LG comes out with top-emission, probably by 2020...).
I think it is that the retail i1DisplayPro is certified up to 1000 nits. OEM is certified up to 2000. However, Tom Huffmann has said that even the retail goes over 2000 nits. X-rite doesn't certify it.
Vishwa Somayaji is offline  
post #29 of 58 Old 03-30-2018, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji View Post
I think it is that the retail i1DisplayPro is certified up to 1000 nits. OEM is certified up to 2000. However, Tom Huffmann has said that even the retail goes over 2000 nits. X-rite doesn't certify it.
Good to know - thanks.

2000 Nits should be enough for WOLED for at least the next 5 years .
fafrd is offline  
post #30 of 58 Old 03-30-2018, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rolls-Royce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victorville, CA
Posts: 4,002
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 1177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji View Post
I think it is that the retail i1DisplayPro is certified up to 1000 nits. OEM is certified up to 2000. However, Tom Huffmann has said that even the retail goes over 2000 nits. X-rite doesn't certify it.
These are post-January 2017 models, both OEM and Retail. Anything earlier doesn't have the 2K nit capability.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
Rolls-Royce is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Display Calibration

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off