Sony x900e/9005e - grey balance - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-14-2018, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sony x900e/9005e - grey balance

After calibrating my tv using Spyder 5 with DataColor's software, I noticed in tests such as AVS HD 709 (white/black/apl clipping), that pure black and pure whites look fine, but some of the flashing bars are tinted blue or red. I've calibrated my monitor (C24FG70) with exactly same settings and all the flashing bars look fine - they are not tinted at all, which leads me to believe that my calibrator works fine.

I don't think the problem is related to tv itself, because when I turn off the icc profile, then flashing bars look grey, as they should (but at the same time, gamma is all wrong and overall color temperature seems way to cold).

It doesn't seem entirely software related because I tried to create profile with DisplayCal - using many different corrections while switching things like drift compensation on and off, which also resulted in tint in greys.

I wonder if it's somehow linked to local dimming - I left it at "medium" during the calibration since I use this value during normal viewing and color characteristics seem to differ with local dimming off, so I doubt that calibration made with local dimming off would be fine for usage with local dimming turned on.

I am honestly at loss here and would really appreciate some help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-14-2018, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 1226
Displays are all different. Just because a group of settings make one display look ok, doesn't mean those same settings will work on another display, even of the same make and model. The Spyder 5 - which, I'm sorry to say, really isn't all that good - could also be struggling with the display type on the Sony, but not on the monitor. They are apples and oranges.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 08-14-2018 at 01:04 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-01-2018, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Cleaping with Peak White

I have a Sony LCD 65X9005E (LCD) and I can not measure the dynamic range "Cleaping with Peak White". No matter if you set the contrast to Max or Min, or anywhere to 90, the lines always bend at 100%. What am I doing wrong? Be happy about any answer :-)

Sony Bravia 65XE9005 / Himedia Q10 Pro / Video Forge II HDMI / FireTV Stick with MobileForge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-01-2018, 02:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3112 Post(s)
Liked: 3849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexias View Post
I have a Sony LCD 65X9005E (LCD) and I can not measure the dynamic range "Cleaping with Peak White". No matter if you set the contrast to Max or Min, or anywhere to 90, the lines always bend at 100%. What am I doing wrong? Be happy about any answer :-)
Hi, what patterns are you using and from what device you generate them?

Do you have difference in peak output (nits) of 100% vs. 109% patch?

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #5 of 7 Old 09-01-2018, 02:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Also, when you are looking a Contrast Clipping Flashing Bar pattern, do you see bars flashing above 235? If nothing is flashing above 235 then means that your headroom is clipped. (See there why you need headroom: LG 2017 OLED Calibration Thread and Settings)

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #6 of 7 Old 09-01-2018, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Sorry Ted, my mistake. MobileForge has no patterns from 105 to 109. Only VideoForge and TED's discs have these required patterns. Thanks anyway for your help

Sony Bravia 65XE9005 / Himedia Q10 Pro / Video Forge II HDMI / FireTV Stick with MobileForge
post #7 of 7 Old 09-01-2018, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry Ted, my mistake. MobileForge has no patterns from 105 to 109. Only VideoForge and TED's discs have these required patterns. Thanks anyway for your help
Correct, because MobileForge can generate any RGB triplet between 16-235 only by compressing 0-255 to 16-235, so it can't generate any RGB Triplet combination out of that 16-235 range, so can't do 236-255 which is required to measure with Dynamic Range Clipping with Peak.

If you are using MobileForge, it will be a good idea to inform SpectraCAL to add a note to all their workflows that the Dynamic Range Clipping with Peak measurements should be ignored from MobileForge users, this will save a lot of time from new people not reading AVS (and my posts), but loose amazing time until to figure out what is happening.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Tags
calibration , calibration settings , spyder , spyder5 , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page