2018 Vizio PQ65-F1 Calibration Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

post #61 of 424 Old 09-12-2018, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
Vizio hasn't released the Dolby Vision Golden Reference(DVGR) files required for calibration, so I haven't even looked at graphs yet. If calibrated/calibrated dark are configured identical, there should be no difference with image output between them. I'll test it tonight.

On a side note, my replacement TV is in my area. Just have to wait til Saturday for the delivery company.
Yeah, that's how my P65 performed, but definitely not the PQ65, at least when viewing Daredevil. I'll test tonight too on a different DV source and an SDR source. It was very obvious just looking at a paused scene that Calibrated-Gamma 2.2 was brighter than Calibrated Dark-Gamma 2.2.

Why'd you end up needed a replacement unit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 424 Old 09-12-2018, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by football751 View Post
Yeah, that's how my P65 performed, but definitely not the PQ65, at least when viewing Daredevil. I'll test tonight too on a different DV source and an SDR source. It was very obvious just looking at a paused scene that Calibrated-Gamma 2.2 was brighter than Calibrated Dark-Gamma 2.2.

Why'd you end up needed a replacement unit?
Mostly because the back panel was warped. Wall mounted it was lower and further out by 1/2" on the left side. Motion/Frame Judder when streaming smartcast, but same content is buttery smooth on my Xbox One X. Also a weird anomaly artifact that showed up rarely in a location that looks like the TV was bent at. Overall, the picture quality and uniformity is amazing, so it sucks to have to replace it.
post #63 of 424 Old 09-12-2018, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
==={GLOBAL}===

Picture Modes: Calibrated Dark, Calibrated, Game Dark, Game
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 50
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color temperature: Normal*
Black Detail: Off
Reduce Judder: 10 (Personal Preference)
Reduce Motion Blur: 10 (Personal Preference)
Clear Action: Off (Game, Game Dark: On)
Reduce Signal Noise: Off
Reduce Block Noise: Off
Game Low Latency: Off (Game, Game Dark: On)
Pure Cinema: On
Color Space: Auto
Gamma: 2.2(Calibrated Dark, Game Dark), 2.1(Calibrated, Game)

==={SDR}===

Colorspace Target: ITU-R BT.709
Gamma Formula: Power 2.2
Xtreme Black Engine Pro: Low
Backlight: 6(Calibrated Dark, Game Dark), 50-100(Calibrated, Game)
Color Tuner: R,G,B,C,M,Y
Hue: 0,-1,3,1,-1,1
Saturation: 2,6,5,0,5,7
Brightness: -5,-2,-2,0,-5,0

White Balance: R,G,B
Offset: 0,0,0
Gain: 10,0,-29

``5%: 0,0,4
`10%: 1,5,7
`20%: 11,12,8
`30%: 20,20,16
`40%: 22,23,23
`50%: 18,19,22
`60%: 15,16,20
`70%: 1,3,9
`80%: -2,3,12
`90%: -4,0,7
100%: -4,0,1
Forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between GLOBAL and SDR? which settings should I be using for what sources? And i assume your backlight is set to 100? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 424 Old 09-12-2018, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar_balla21 View Post
Forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between GLOBAL and SDR? which settings should I be using for what sources? And i assume your backlight is set to 100? Thank you
I haven't completed giving all calibration results yet. Global are settings that are universal between SDR, HDR10, and Dolby Vision.

Backlight for SDR daytime picture modes I put 50-100. Basically I adjust it based on how bright the room is. 100 would be a very bright room.
post #65 of 424 Old 09-12-2018, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar_balla21 View Post
I haven't completed giving all calibration results yet. Global are settings that are universal between SDR, HDR10, and Dolby Vision.

Backlight for SDR daytime picture modes I put 50-100. Basically I adjust it based on how bright the room is. 100 would be a very bright room.
Thanks. Im using your global settings and like the picture. A nice good pop to the screen and colors.
post #66 of 424 Old 09-13-2018, 05:21 AM

Watching Ozark last night I noticed the same phenomenon with Calibrated and Calibrated Dark not giving an identical picture with the settings identical, unlike on my P65-C1.

Also once it got dark and I had all my lights off, with the Calibrated Dark setting there was noticeable light bleed into the black bars on the top and bottom, more than I remember seeing on my P65-C1. Maybe a future firmware update will help with black bar detection, or a DV calibration will help. Looked fantastic with normal light and Calibrated setting, but the black level seemed too high once I was in a completely dark room.
post #67 of 424 Old 09-13-2018, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Does anyone have any good “American Football” settings they use or can recommend? Sometimes when watching the 720p resolution can look grainy or blurry.

Also, a question about “Clear Action” picture setting. When using this option during HDR gaming it looks awesome but using it during SDR especially in first person games it is washed out and jittery to me. Is there another setting that I am missing that needs to be enabled when you use Clear Action?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #68 of 424 Old 09-13-2018, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskogl2 View Post
Does anyone have any good “American Football” settings they use or can recommend? Sometimes when watching the 720p resolution can look grainy or blurry.

Also, a question about “Clear Action” picture setting. When using this option during HDR gaming it looks awesome but using it during SDR especially in first person games it is washed out and jittery to me. Is there another setting that I am missing that needs to be enabled when you use Clear Action?

I recommend you upgrade the service box capable of outputting 1080p or better. Ask your service provider as they may upgrade it for no or little charge. 720p broadcast will not look good on this TV no matter the settings.

I use clear action for SDR/HDR gaming and do not notice any issues.

Last edited by skschatzman; 09-13-2018 at 08:54 AM.
post #69 of 424 Old 09-13-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:

Best option would be to turn on Reduce Noise and/or Reduce Blocking (or whatever it's called), I've found Reduce Noise to be helpful with low-quality signals.
post #70 of 424 Old 09-13-2018, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Watching Ozark last night I noticed the same phenomenon with Calibrated and Calibrated Dark not giving an identical picture with the settings identical, unlike on my P65-C1.

Also once it got dark and I had all my lights off, with the Calibrated Dark setting there was noticeable light bleed into the black bars on the top and bottom, more than I remember seeing on my P65-C1. Maybe a future firmware update will help with black bar detection, or a DV calibration will help. Looked fantastic with normal light and Calibrated setting, but the black level seemed too high once I was in a completely dark room.
I haven't watched that, if the black bars are not your usual bars you will get some light bleed.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
post #71 of 424 Old 09-13-2018, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Best option would be to turn on Reduce Noise and/or Reduce Blocking (or whatever it's called), I've found Reduce Noise to be helpful with low-quality signals.
He wants to make it less blurry. Those options will only soften the image and make it more blurry.
post #72 of 424 Old 09-13-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
He wants to make it less blurry. Those options will only soften the image and make it more blurry.
He said "grainy or blurry", so the Reduce Noise will help with the grain, but yes it'll make it softer.

@rskogl2 By blurry, do you mean motion blur? In that case use the Reduce Motion Blur slider for 60p sources. If it's just blurry due to it being low quality there's not much that can be done about that other than upgrading the source.
post #73 of 424 Old 09-13-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
He said "grainy or blurry", so the Reduce Noise will help with the grain, but yes it'll make it softer.

@rskogl2 By blurry, do you mean motion blur? In that case use the Reduce Motion Blur slider for 60p sources. If it's just blurry due to it being low quality there's not much that can be done about that other than upgrading the source.
I am using Directv Now through Apple TV 4K. I think it is coming in at 1080i or 720p, will have to check that for sure later this afternoon. I have an LG OLED B7 with the same setup, HDMI cords are identical (Belkin 4K Dolby Vision Certified) and it seems pretty clear. It just doesn't seem as sharp as the LG OLED B7, especially on the zoomed out sideline cam. The jerseys seem to be shimmering almost and jaggy. (I am using the default Calibrated settings)

Last edited by rskogl2; 09-13-2018 at 10:05 AM.
post #74 of 424 Old 09-13-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I am using Directv Now through Apple TV 4K. I think it is coming in at 1080i or 720p, will have to check that for sure later this afternoon. I have an LG OLED B7 with the same setup, HDMI cords are identical (Belkin 4K Dolby Vision Certified) and it seems pretty clear. It just doesn't seem as sharp as the LG OLED B7, especially on the zoomed out sideline cam. The jerseys seem to be shimmering almost and jaggy. (I am using the default Calibrated settings)
Have you adjusted the sharpness? It defaults to 20, and the Reduce Noise and Blocking default to Low, so if you haven't I'd adjust those settings. Sharpness of 20 is way too much for the default IMO and would cause the "jaggy" issue. But the Vizio isn't designed to be a great upscaling TV, so it could just be the LG is better able to handle the lower quality signal. I used the ESPN app to watch college football and haven't had any issues but I think that is 1080p these days.
post #75 of 424 Old 09-13-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Have you adjusted the sharpness? It defaults to 20, and the Reduce Noise and Blocking default to Low, so if you haven't I'd adjust those settings. Sharpness of 20 is way too much for the default IMO and would cause the "jaggy" issue. But the Vizio isn't designed to be a great upscaling TV, so it could just be the LG is better able to handle the lower quality signal. I used the ESPN app to watch college football and haven't had any issues but I think that is 1080p these days.

Thanks for the help. I am going to try changing the sharpness for Thursday Night Football and see what it looks like. Also, I think with the Apple TV4k the Apple TV does the upscaling?

post #76 of 424 Old 09-13-2018, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
If the AppleTV is set to output 4k resolution, then it is not the TV upscaling issue. Upscaling is only performed when the TV detects a resolution below 3840x2160.
leojj25 likes this.
post #77 of 424 Old 09-15-2018, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Last night, I was watching a 1080p movie streamed through Roku/Plex, and I noticed that in darker scenes, the background behind characters' faces looked like a bunch of patches of different color greys and blacks (and those patches looked like they were made of .5" x .5" squares). It was most noticeable in a scene with characters sitting around a campfire.

I played the scene over and over, changing settings along the way, and the only thing that seemed to improve it was bringing the backlight near zero. Are there other settings that should help with this? Is this mostly caused by bad source material?
post #78 of 424 Old 09-15-2018, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Answer3486 View Post
Last night, I was watching a 1080p movie streamed through Roku/Plex, and I noticed that in darker scenes, the background behind characters' faces looked like a bunch of patches of different color greys and blacks (and those patches looked like they were made of .5" x .5" squares). It was most noticeable in a scene with characters sitting around a campfire.

I played the scene over and over, changing settings along the way, and the only thing that seemed to improve it was bringing the backlight near zero. Are there other settings that should help with this? Is this mostly caused by bad source material?
It is most likely the material, but please check the brightness.

Stream this from your Roku/Plex device. You should be able to see 17, but not 16.
post #79 of 424 Old 09-15-2018, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
It is most likely the material, but please check the brightness.
Stream this from your Roku/Plex device. You should be able to see 17, but not 16.

Thanks! Brightness at 50 checked out as being the right level. A bad source being the problem probably makes sense, or maybe something is going bad in the streaming. When I watch the movie on my computer screen, it looks much better, though much darker overall.
post #80 of 424 Old 09-15-2018, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 2919 Post(s)
Liked: 3549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Answer3486 View Post
Thanks! Brightness at 50 checked out as being the right level. A bad source being the problem probably makes sense, or maybe something is going bad in the streaming. When I watch the movie on my computer screen, it looks much better, though much darker overall.
Hi, the videos from you-tube, when you upload them, youtube re-encodes them, so the levels will not be the same as the original uploaded video pattern.

It's better idea to check downloading the original mp4 file of that pattern from AVSHD disk or use the free MKV/MP4 Brightness flashing bars pattern you can download from my signature link.

Your problem sounds like a compression issue, but check your near black to be sure that all are fine.
shoman94 and jyqureshi like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #81 of 424 Old 09-15-2018, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi, the videos from you-tube, when you upload them, youtube re-encodes them, so the levels will not be the same as the original uploaded video pattern.

It's better idea to check downloading the original mp4 file of that pattern from AVSHD disk or use the free MKV/MP4 Brightness flashing bars pattern you can download from my signature link.

Your problem sounds like a compression issue, but check your near black to be sure that all are fine.
Learn something new every day.
post #82 of 424 Old 09-15-2018, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Learn something new every day.
See there: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post48929801

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #83 of 424 Old 09-15-2018, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 4997 Post(s)
Liked: 3555
Quote:

Yes exactly! That's what I do along with checking them in Calman.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #84 of 424 Old 09-15-2018, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Yes exactly! That's what I do along with checking them in Calman.
Do you mean using MobileForge?

post #85 of 424 Old 09-15-2018, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 4997 Post(s)
Liked: 3555
Quote:
Do you mean using MobileForge?
No, I use my PC/Calman and/or my Nvidia Shield to play the file to check. Brightness and contrast.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #86 of 424 Old 09-17-2018, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Is the DVGR files crucial to getting this set properly calibrated? I’m having an ISF calibrator coming to my place in 2 weeks and I’m wondering if I should postpone it
post #87 of 424 Old 09-17-2018, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ario816 View Post
Is the DVGR files crucial to getting this set properly calibrated? I’m having an ISF calibrator coming to my place in 2 weeks and I’m wondering if I should postpone it
It is required for calibrating Dolby Vision.
post #88 of 424 Old 09-17-2018, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
It is required for calibrating Dolby Vision.
Great, I’m going to have to hold off then unless Vizio gets it out in the next 2 weeks.

@Noydcom any updates on the DVGR?

Last edited by Ario816; 09-17-2018 at 12:05 PM.
post #89 of 424 Old 09-17-2018, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
@skschatzman can you pm me your prievous SDR calibration for the PQ you had before your replacement. It seemed to work better with my display then your updated settings
post #90 of 424 Old 09-17-2018, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezrb View Post
@skschatzman can you pm me your prievous SDR calibration for the PQ you had before your replacement. It seemed to work better with my display then your updated settings
I didn't keep the data. In hindsight I probably should have. Sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page