2018 Sony Master Series LCD Calibration Thread - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 369Likes

post #691 of 748 Old 06-05-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupta View Post
Thanks for that Display PDF - it helped me find the problem as it showed me where the "Expand to PC Levels" checkbox was, and it was indeed checked, when it should have been UNCHECKED. Probably why Limited didn't work well. I'll have to recalibrate unchecking that.

Re your questions:

1.) I used D65 - is there a reason DE2000 JNDab is considered better?

2.) I used standard 20, not Rolling - is there a reason Rolling would be better?

The latest Sony guide on Portrait's site didn't mention DE2000 JNDab or DE2000 which is why I stuck to the defaults, but I'm happy to change to them if there's a good reason to - I just haven't seen that information yet. Can't remember if rolling was an option as since it was already on 20, so I don't know that I checked that dropdown.

Thanks for the help! I may not get a chance to calibrate tonight, but if I don't, should be able to this weekend.
D65 is a white point. DE2000 JNDab is how the dE is calculated. Apples and oranges.
If you do Autocal, DE2000 JNDab (JND means "Just Noticeable Difference") is preferable to straight DE2000.
sgupta likes this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 748 Old 06-05-2019, 09:37 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked: 6498
Quote:
Thanks for that Display PDF - it helped me find the problem as it showed me where the "Expand to PC Levels" checkbox was, and it was indeed checked, when it should have been UNCHECKED. Probably why Limited didn't work well. I'll have to recalibrate unchecking that.

Re your questions:

1.) I used D65 - is there a reason DE2000 JNDab is considered better?

2.) I used standard 20, not Rolling - is there a reason Rolling would be better?

The latest Sony guide on Portrait's site didn't mention DE2000 JNDab or DE2000 which is why I stuck to the defaults, but I'm happy to change to them if there's a good reason to - I just haven't seen that information yet. Can't remember if rolling was an option as since it was already on 20, so I don't know that I checked that dropdown.

Thanks for the help! I may not get a chance to calibrate tonight, but if I don't, should be able to this weekend.
There is actually a CalMAN recommendation on that page to use JNDab, which is why I selected it, and RR has confirmed.

One of the issues with adjusting the 10-point settings manually is that changes to a setting can affect the other settings on either side. For example, if you tweak 50%, then 40% and 60% readings will change slightly as well. The rolling 20-point approach will result in adjustments made to the settings in groups of three, which minimizes the issues faced with the manual calibration. IMO, the experts in this thread have always recommended following the rolling 20-point approach, but be aware that it results in longer calibration times (but worth it in more precise results).
sgupta likes this.

Last edited by AustinJerry; 06-06-2019 at 06:44 AM.
post #693 of 748 Old 06-05-2019, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Ahhh...I think I figured out why I never saw the JNDab thing - I was using Home 2019 for Sony guide instead of the Master Series Guide you're referring to: https://calmankb.groovehq.com/help/c...ny-walkthrough

I ended up having time and can't stop thinking of this so going to give this another try shortly - will let you know if JNDab and rolling are options. Gotta say - watched the news on the Full Range calibration - I know it should be errant, but it still looks so good to me; I'll be curious how things will look with the proper settings. =oP

I think this time out I'll leave the delay at default (.5 - when I optimize, it chooses .25, which is probably fine, but I don't think a longer settling time would be a bad thing; this seems a feature for speed; I'd think if there was any effect on accuracy, it would be negative, so default should be fine).

I'll also of course correct the Expand to PC Levels option and make sure it is UNCHECKED this time. I'm guessing I'll know it's right because the Brightness and Contrast patterns will look appropriate.

For comparison, I decided the fairest thing is to just reset the DDC, set to my old settings, turn Local Dimming OFF, and compare that to the calibrated settings at the end also with LD OFF. Since calibration has to be done with it OFF anyways, it makes the most sense to see what improvement actually is there; Local Dimming is just an algorithm on top of both. I'll post the screenshot once I'm done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 748 Old 06-05-2019, 10:42 PM
Advanced Member

Okay, was able to recalibrate, this time with Limited on the TV and Expand to PC Levels unchecked.

Note that DE2000 JNDab is available in the settings, and I did switch to that over the default, which is DE2000. Also, 20 - Rolling is available, though given AustinJerry's comments above, I stuck with regular 20-point as I'd rather an increase of accuracy over time taken.

This seems to have worked right with no visible posturization this time! The picture isn't the same as, but is quite similar to, when the TV was receiving a full signal.

I was surprised that the Brightness pattern was still crushed and the Contrast pattern maxed out at 92 without clipping, but as long as everyone thinks that's alright, I'll take that as normal behavior. My few remaining questions are:

- The steps have me set Contrast up to 92 (until it clips according to the pattern). I do want to back that off back to the default of 90 when I'm done though, correct? I know Sony likes those settings especially left at default most of the time.

- Can we confirm the 0 Gamma setting is now the proper one for 2.2 (even though it tends to want to default to -2 when done with AutoCal)?

- Still looking to see if I'll want to copy the Per Color Adjustments to other modes and apps since they don't copy over like the 20-pt adjustments do?

Here's the before and after readings, one taken with my previous default settings on Custom and the other on the new calibrated Custom for Pro 1 (but with Auto Local Dimming OFF and range set to Limited of course for both).

Thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06.06.19 Calibration.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	2576562  
post #695 of 748 Old 06-06-2019, 06:50 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Also, 20 - Rolling is available, though given AustinJerry's comments above, I stuck with regular 20-point as I'd rather an increase of accuracy over time taken.

This seems to have worked right with no visible posturization this time! The picture isn't the same as, but is quite similar to, when the TV was receiving a full signal.

I was surprised that the Brightness pattern was still crushed and the Contrast pattern maxed out at 92 without clipping, but as long as everyone thinks that's alright, I'll take that as normal behavior. My few remaining questions are:

- The steps have me set Contrast up to 92 (until it clips according to the pattern). I do want to back that off back to the default of 90 when I'm done though, correct? I know Sony likes those settings especially left at default most of the time.

- Can we confirm the 0 Gamma setting is now the proper one for 2.2 (even though it tends to want to default to -2 when done with AutoCal)?

- Still looking to see if I'll want to copy the Per Color Adjustments to other modes and apps since they don't copy over like the 20-pt adjustments do?

Here's the before and after readings, one taken with my previous default settings on Custom and the other on the new calibrated Custom for Pro 1 (but with Auto Local Dimming OFF and range set to Limited of course for both).

Thanks all!
In my original post, I meant to say the rolling 20-point should give better results.

Don’t know why you mean regarding the TV getting a full signal. While you set it to Limited for the calibration, the setting returns to Auto after the calibration has completed. Same for Gamma—the setting returns to -2 upon completion of the calibration. And yes, you should make sure that the per color adjustments are consistent across all Picture modes and inputs that you use. Make sure you don’t forget to change the settings for the on-board apps as well.

I think your results are quite good.
shoman94 likes this.
post #696 of 748 Old 06-06-2019, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
In my original post, I meant to say the rolling 20-point should give better results.

Don’t know why you mean regarding the TV getting a full signal. While you set it to Limited for the calibration, the setting returns to Auto after the calibration has completed. Same for Gamma—the setting returns to -2 upon completion of the calibration. And yes, you should make sure that the per color adjustments are consistent across all Picture modes and inputs that you use. Make sure you don’t forget to change the settings for the on-board apps as well.

I think your results are quite good.
Good to know re rolling being better; I misinterpreted your comment before so I appreciate you clarifying. I may give 20 - Rolling a try to see if I can get even closer.

What I meant was, when I had the posterization problem (which ended up being "Expand Patterns to PC Levels" being checked) and tried sending the full signal, the results weren't that different than leaving it unchecked and the TV being forced into limited range. Definitely not exactly the same, but in the ballpark. Obviously, though, there's a reason they recommend doing it the way they do, so I'm glad the problem is rectified.

Still getting a feel for the change. I'd say post-calibration the picture is quite a bit warmer with increased gamma and some pleasant effects [including feeling brighter overall even when 1 less on the Brightness (Backlight) Control], though I'm still getting used to face tones, which seem pale to me for some reason (some, not all). It might just be a matter of getting used to the change.

I may go again and try Optimized Delay, 20 - Rolling, and keeping Contrast at default 90 with the other changes and see what happens.

By the way, is DE2000 JNDab okay for the Cube DeltaE formula as well as the regular DeltaE Formula? I'd assume so.

Last edited by sgupta; 06-06-2019 at 01:08 PM.
post #697 of 748 Old 06-06-2019, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 4997 Post(s)
Liked: 3555
Quote:
Good to know re rolling being better; I misinterpreted your comment before so I appreciate you clarifying. I may give 20 - Rolling a try to see if I can get even closer.

What I meant was, when I had the posterization problem (which ended up being "Expand Patterns to PC Levels" being checked) and tried sending the full signal, the results weren't that different than leaving it unchecked and the TV being forced into limited range. Definitely not exactly the same, but in the ballpark. Obviously, though, there's a reason they recommend doing it the way they do, so I'm glad the problem is rectified.

Still getting a feel for the change. I'd say post-calibration the picture is quite a bit warmer with increased gamma and some pleasant effects [including feeling brighter overall even when 1 less on the Brightness (Backlight) Control], though I'm still getting used to face tones, which seem pale to me for some reason (some, not all). It might just be a matter of getting used to the change.

I may go again and try Optimized Delay, 20 - Rolling, and keeping Contrast at default 90 with the other changes and see what happens.

By the way, is DE2000 JNDab okay for the Cube DeltaE formula as well as the regular DeltaE Formula? I'd assume so.
Personally I would use ictcp720 and you'll get better perceptual result in regards to low end detail. Graphs look worse though.

Here is a good read; https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CCE...w?usp=drivesdk

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
sgupta likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+

Last edited by shoman94; 06-06-2019 at 03:51 PM.
post #698 of 748 Old 06-06-2019, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 1911
2018 Sony Master Series LCD Calibration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Personally I would use ictcp720 and you'll get better perceptual result in regards to low end detail. Graphs look worse though.

In CalMAN 2019 ICTCP 720 is now called DE ITP
shoman94 likes this.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #699 of 748 Old 06-06-2019, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
In CalMAN 2019 ICTCP 720 is now called DE ITP
Thank you! I haven't fired up 2019 yet. This weekend!

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #700 of 748 Old 06-06-2019, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Fascinating information. o.O

I take it this can be used for both the Standard and Cube dropdowns. hehe Researching this and so much disagreement, but that Powerpoint is pretty compelling.

Actually, just looked. dE_ICtCp_240 is an option, but no 720. (EDIT: Nevermind, according to Tyler, it's been renamed de_ITP since I guess it's an ITU standard now).

For those curious, CalMAN Home 2019 has:
dE_ICtCp_240
dE_ITP
dE2000 (Default)
dE94
dE76_Lab
de76_LUV
dEuv
dE_Combined_JND_2000
dE2000_JNDab
dE_CalibrationMax
shoman94 likes this.

Last edited by sgupta; 06-07-2019 at 12:13 AM.
post #701 of 748 Old 06-07-2019, 12:18 AM
Advanced Member

I decided to try this again tonight, this time with the following changes:
- Used Optimize under Source
- Used dE_ITP for both Standard and Cube DeltaE Calculations
- Used 20 - Rolling

It did take slightly longer, but only slightly (maybe an extra 5 minutes or so), and I think the results may even be better than previously. Visibly the results are quite similar, though I think I might like this just a tad better.

I am still trying to figure out a question with Gamma. The Z9F out-of-the-box has -2 for most of the presets, which works out to 2.4 from most things I've read. I have always set it to 0 because that's about 2.2, with -2 being 2.4 as I stated and +2 being 2.0. From other threads I've read here, I think that should still be the case AFTER calibration, but visually I'm just not sure. What confuses me is that during calibration, Gamma is set to 0 for AutoCal to work with, but post-calibration (when Local Dimming and such is turned back on), the Custom for Pro 1 preset is set to -2. I bumped it back up to 0, assuming that's 2.2, but does anyone know if that's the case for sure?? According to another thread (the Sony for CalMAN thread I believe on the 2nd page), CalMAN should remap it to the Sony Gamma scale (-2 for 2.4, 0 for 2.2, +2 for 2.0), but I can't test that. (I've tried the Lagom.nl Gamma test, but that doesn't look at all right, and previous attempts with similar patterns on Sony WOW even with the factory Sony settings were equally useless - do modern TV's no longer work with these types of tests properly?) Gamma does seem significantly brighter than the "old" 0 setting (and may be part of what I'm seeing in faces), but that's not necessarily a bad thing if this is actual 2.2; I just don't have any way to verify that, seemingly.

I asked Portrait Displays about this Gamma question, and the reply was "The DDC reset value should always be left as set by CalMAN", which I'm not sure I understand properly, so I've asked them to clarify. I think I may have worded my question badly and they thought I meant during AutoCal; either that, or they're saying to leave the -2 setting once calibration is done for 2.2...but I can't tell which.

Anyways, besides that small caveat, I enjoy the results so far quite a lot. The one thing I'm still uneasy about is certain facial tones as they're way different than I'm used to, but I'm hoping it's just a matter of getting used to it. Scenery and landscapes look especially good with these settings.

Results below:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019-06-07.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	2577022  

Last edited by sgupta; 06-07-2019 at 02:38 AM.
post #702 of 748 Old 06-07-2019, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Just as a followup, I'm increasingly convinced -2 on the Sony now reflects a Gamma of 2.2, unless the initial Sony calibration was way off-spec regarding Gamma OR RTINGS was incorrect with their measurement (but I don't really think that's the case, as -2 was always too dark to me before, and 0 felt much more like what I was used to on my old TV, which definitely was 2.2 Gamma).
post #703 of 748 Old 06-07-2019, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just as a followup, I'm increasingly convinced -2 on the Sony now reflects a Gamma of 2.2, unless the initial Sony calibration was way off-spec regarding Gamma OR RTINGS was incorrect with their measurement (but I don't really think that's the case, as -2 was always too dark to me before, and 0 felt much more like what I was used to on my old TV, which definitely was 2.2 Gamma).

Sony designed this auto CAL process to work by calibrating gamma 0 to 2.2, Because they mathematically derive All the other gamma settings including HDR from this value. That is why we automatically set it to -2 afterwords which equals 2.4 gamma.
shoman94 likes this.

post #704 of 748 Old 06-07-2019, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sony designed this auto CAL process to work by calibrating gamma 0 to 2.2, Because they mathematically derive All the other gamma settings including HDR from this value. That is why we automatically set it to -2 afterwords which equals 2.4 gamma.
Thanks for chiming in, Tyler. That's what I expected from your and other posts on here, but that doesn't appear to be what is actually happening for me. I was on Gamma 0 before calibration, and also at 2.2 on my previous TV (a 2016 LG OLED), so I have a pretty good idea of what the light/dark balance looks like in my favorite content. Whatever is happening, -2 now appears to be 2.2 for me, as 0 is very washed out and more akin to what 2.0 usually looks like. Any idea what might be happening here? Everything else calibration-wise seemed to go perfect (my latest result graph is above). I still have my old Custom setting with the uncalibrated Expert 2, and aside from the color correction, 0 on that and -2 on the new calibrated Custom Pro 1 look very similar gamma-wise. I'm very confused right now.
post #705 of 748 Old 06-07-2019, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for chiming in, Tyler. That's what I expected from your and other posts on here, but that doesn't appear to be what is actually happening for me. I was on Gamma 0 before calibration, and also at 2.2 on my previous TV (a 2016 LG OLED), so I have a pretty good idea of what the light/dark balance looks like in my favorite content. Whatever is happening, -2 now appears to be 2.2 for me, as 0 is very washed out and more akin to what 2.0 usually looks like. Any idea what might be happening here? Everything else calibration-wise seemed to go perfect (my latest result graph is above). I still have my old Custom setting with the uncalibrated Expert 2, and aside from the color correction, 0 on that and -2 on the new calibrated Custom Pro 1 look very similar gamma-wise. I'm very confused right now.
What size tv do you have? 65? If so I'd say you are seeing is the elevated black level from from having 104 zones and comparing to OLED. Gamma 0 is 2.2 and -2 is 2.4.
What are you comparing SDR or HDR with those comments.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

post #706 of 748 Old 06-07-2019, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What size tv do you have? 65? If so I'd say you are seeing is the elevated black level from from having 104 zones and comparing to OLED. Gamma 0 is 2.2 and -2 is 2.4.
What are you comparing SDR or HDR with those comments.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
Mine’s a 75. Gamma seems elevated (what I’d expect 2.0 to look like) in both SDR and HDR at 0 post-cal. I’m used to the change from OLED by now with the Defaults so minor blooming is expected, but I can literally switch between Custom w/ uncalibrated Expert 2 at Gamma 0 (which is basically my pre-cal setting) and Custom Pro 1 w/ calibrated Expert 1 and see a huge Gamma difference (including more blooming, especially in HDR). However, if I set the latter to -2 but keep the former at 0, they seem very similar apart from tone. (The color calibration itself looks fantastic).

In the other thread, I was given a way that should empirically test to see what Gamma corresponds to - hopefully I can try it tonight.
post #707 of 748 Old 06-07-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Mine’s a 75. Gamma seems elevated (what I’d expect 2.0 to look like) in both SDR and HDR at 0 post-cal. I’m used to the change from OLED by now with the Defaults so minor blooming is expected, but I can literally switch between Custom w/ uncalibrated Expert 2 at Gamma 0 (which is basically my pre-cal setting) and Custom Pro 1 w/ calibrated Expert 1 and see a huge Gamma difference (including more blooming, especially in HDR). However, if I set the latter to -2 but keep the former at 0, they seem very similar apart from tone. (The color calibration itself looks fantastic).

In the other thread, I was given a way that should empirically test to see what Gamma corresponds to - hopefully I can try it tonight.

The other thing to keep in mind is on the Sony LCD we do the calibration with local dimming turned off, Then it is turned back on after the calibration.

One thing also is make sure you disconnect from the display in CalMAN and don’t just exit out of the CalMAN for Bravia app, Because the Bravia app actually handles, Turning back on local dimming and changing back to gamma -2 etc when CalMAN disconnects.

post #708 of 748 Old 06-07-2019, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The other thing to keep in mind is on the Sony LCD we do the calibration with local dimming turned off, Then it is turned back on after the calibration.

One thing also is make sure you disconnect from the display in CalMAN and don’t just exit out of the CalMAN for Bravia app, Because the Bravia app actually handles, Turning back on local dimming and changing back to gamma -2 etc when CalMAN disconnects.
Thanks. This all worked as expected, so I guess I'm not sure what you're saying here; I did verify local dimming was off during calibration. I also double checked after calibration ended (not exiting CalMAN for Bravia until all closed out) and local dimming was indeed turned back on (Medium) with Gamma set to the default -2 (which according to everything I've read should be the equivalent of 2.4 gamma). The issue is, it appears like it's 2.2 gamma instead, with 0 being more like 2.0. I'll run tests tonight to verify. Maybe I'm just mistaken, but I'll be very surprised if so from all previous experiences with 2.2 given that I always tend to watch at 2.2.
post #709 of 748 Old 06-07-2019, 04:46 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Not sure I understand what your issue is. The results you shared are quite good, which means you are looking at a well-calibrated display. I had hoped that by doing your own Autocalibration, you would be pleased with the results and could sit back and enjoy your new display. If you don’t like the gamma setting, change it to what you find most pleasing. What am I missing?
shoman94 likes this.
post #710 of 748 Old 06-07-2019, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. This all worked as expected, so I guess I'm not sure what you're saying here; I did verify local dimming was off during calibration. I also double checked after calibration ended (not exiting CalMAN for Bravia until all closed out) and local dimming was indeed turned back on (Medium) with Gamma set to the default -2 (which according to everything I've read should be the equivalent of 2.4 gamma). The issue is, it appears like it's 2.2 gamma instead, with 0 being more like 2.0. I'll run tests tonight to verify. Maybe I'm just mistaken, but I'll be very surprised if so from all previous experiences with 2.2 given that I always tend to watch at 2.2.
Or your LG OLED was more like gamma 2.4 when it was set to 2.2. The B6 to me crushes quite a bit and the gamma is higher than what you set it at.

post #711 of 748 Old 06-07-2019, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

AustinJerry, I'm actually quite pleased by the results and it's a fairly dramatic improvement in picture quality overall - this calibration is the best yet; what's throwing me off is that gamma does not seem to be behaving as I expected from what's been posted in these forums. That said, your point is well taken. It's looking quite good to me at -2, so I've been watching content at that for the time being.

shoman94, that's certainly possible re the LG, though I'd think it was odd if the 2.2 Gamma on both the LG OLED (which I never got calibrated) and the Sony out-of-the-box were both considerably off...and both similar. Certainly possible, though, especially given your experiences with the B6.

We should know shortly as I'm going to run the test in the manual workflow (that Rolls-Royce helpfully pointed me to) to see where CalMAN says my gamma is at.
post #712 of 748 Old 06-07-2019, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Welp, I'll happily eat my hat. 0 tracks 2.2 almost perfectly post-calibration. I was able to test my old settings and it was the Sony out-of-the-box 0 setting of 2.2 that doesn't track (and it's sort of all over the place - the blue tracks more towards 2.2 but the red and green both track closer to 2.4, which is probably what I'm seeing). That must have been the case with the LG as well (and those were notorious for pushing blue if I recall). Switching to my calibrated settings, all three colors track almost perfectly. Guess I'll either get used to the new 2.2 or be switching to 2.4 from here on out!

Thanks for all the assistance!
post #713 of 748 Old 06-08-2019, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I decided to try this again tonight, this time with the following changes:

- Used Optimize under Source

- Used dE_ITP for both Standard and Cube DeltaE Calculations

- Used 20 - Rolling

It did take slightly longer, but only slightly (maybe an extra 5 minutes or so), and I think the results may even be better than previously. Visibly the results are quite similar, though I think I might like this just a tad better.

I am still trying to figure out a question with Gamma. The Z9F out-of-the-box has -2 for most of the presets, which works out to 2.4 from most things I've read. I have always set it to 0 because that's about 2.2, with -2 being 2.4 as I stated and +2 being 2.0. From other threads I've read here, I think that should still be the case AFTER calibration, but visually I'm just not sure. What confuses me is that during calibration, Gamma is set to 0 for AutoCal to work with, but post-calibration (when Local Dimming and such is turned back on), the Custom for Pro 1 preset is set to -2. I bumped it back up to 0, assuming that's 2.2, but does anyone know if that's the case for sure?? According to another thread (the Sony for CalMAN thread I believe on the 2nd page), CalMAN should remap it to the Sony Gamma scale (-2 for 2.4, 0 for 2.2, +2 for 2.0), but I can't test that. (I've tried the Lagom.nl Gamma test, but that doesn't look at all right, and previous attempts with similar patterns on Sony WOW even with the factory Sony settings were equally useless - do modern TV's no longer work with these types of tests properly?) Gamma does seem significantly brighter than the "old" 0 setting (and may be part of what I'm seeing in faces), but that's not necessarily a bad thing if this is actual 2.2; I just don't have any way to verify that, seemingly.

I asked Portrait Displays about this Gamma question, and the reply was "The DDC reset value should always be left as set by CalMAN", which I'm not sure I understand properly, so I've asked them to clarify. I think I may have worded my question badly and they thought I meant during AutoCal; either that, or they're saying to leave the -2 setting once calibration is done for 2.2...but I can't tell which.

Anyways, besides that small caveat, I enjoy the results so far quite a lot. The one thing I'm still uneasy about is certain facial tones as they're way different than I'm used to, but I'm hoping it's just a matter of getting used to it. Scenery and landscapes look especially good with these settings.

Results below:
Just a note on the precal for those that don't know. The Sony comes calibrated using an alternate white point so that's why the precal has that blue push. It would look a lot closer if the precal was still using that instead of d65 white point.

sgupta likes this.

post #714 of 748 Old 06-08-2019, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just a note on the precal for those that don't know. The Sony comes calibrated using an alternate white point so that's why the precal has that blue push. It would look a lot closer if the precal was still using that instead of d65 white point.

Great info. I think that's why the Gamma thing has thrown me off though. I've decided after some significant watching that I think it looks GREAT at 2.4 (-2), so that's what I'm gonna stick with. I've always been a 2.2 guy, so this surprises me, but I really think I'm going to like the 2.4 once I get used to it. I tried watching 2.2 for a while, and with the calibration, I just don't like how the lighter gamma looks with faces - paler complexions just look bad to me. 2.4 fixes this and is more contrasty with more saturated colors, and I can see about as much as I could on the "old" 2.2 (shadows are a little darker, but not enough to overly concern me, and it's more of a benefit than a drawback in most situations). The biggest difference I see with the calibration is how great skies look in contrast to the landscapes. Also animation seems to have a lot more punch now.
post #715 of 748 Old 06-09-2019, 01:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
CalMan's own 2018 Sony AutoCal Reference Guide gives you hint on how to set Sony WP target:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018 Sony AutoCal Reference Guide
Calibration Options Page > Calibration Targets
White Point
• The workflow defaults to standard D65 and Power 2.2 gamma. Power 2.2 gamma is
required for this calibration process.
For restoring MASTER Series’ factory calibration enter White Point x: 0.3067, y: 0.318
AutoCal dE Formula
• We recommend setting the AutoCal dE Formula to "dE2000 JNDab" for best results.
post #716 of 748 Old 06-09-2019, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
CalMan's own 2018 Sony AutoCal Reference Guide gives you hint on how to set Sony WP target:
Yup

post #717 of 748 Old 06-09-2019, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Yup
So the question becomes - why would we prefer D65 over Sony's WP? Or the other way around.
I've seen a description of reasoning behind that choice by Sony, but should I follow it at home?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2019-06-10 at 08.18.58.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	347.1 KB
ID:	2578252  
post #718 of 748 Old 06-12-2019, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
I've asked Sony this question: if you turn off Auto Local Dimming, is it completely shut off? Isn't the panel designed to locally dim regardless of that menu setting? If ALD is off, does the panel revert to edge lit?

They never gave me a clear answer.

On my Z9D local dimming is on and works perfectly. On my 900F I get a split-second shift (where it seems the electronics are preparing for a bright shot change) and find that turning it ALD off eliminates that problem.

Thanks
post #719 of 748 Old 06-12-2019, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
I've asked Sony this question: if you turn off Auto Local Dimming, is it completely shut off? Isn't the panel designed to locally dim regardless of that menu setting? If ALD is off, does the panel revert to edge lit?

They never gave me a clear answer.

On my Z9D local dimming is on and works perfectly. On my 900F I get a split-second shift (where it seems the electronics are preparing for a bright shot change) and find that turning it ALD off eliminates that problem.

Thanks
When you turn off local dimming all the LEDs behind the screen are always left on.

sgupta and JoelArt like this.

post #720 of 748 Old 06-16-2019, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Just a note.....
Two weeks ago I decided to perform a full reset since I haven't after the last firmware update and I was surprised when I went to perform a calibration. My 2 pt changed quite a bit before running the Auto Cal and I changed the way I watch her in a dark room. I was using XDR on Med and LD on Med with ACE on low. Now I'm running XDR on high, LD on High and ACE off. I'm also now using SDR on gamma -2. I've always liked gamma 2.2 better but after this Cal I'm enjoying 2.4.

I'm thinking that some of the underlying changes didn't take place until I performed a factory reset probably because I was calibrated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page