2018 Sony Master Series LCD Calibration Thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 394Likes

post #781 of 806 Old 07-01-2019, 08:33 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11000 Post(s)
Liked: 6567
OK, I ran the HDR Analysis workflow this evening. I used CalMAN connected via HDMI to generate the patterns, and a C6 HDR2000 meter to take the readings. The PC graphics was setup the same way as for the SDR calibration, and the CalMAN and TV settings were as shown below:

Here are the results. They look considerably different from what was posted by @shoman94 . Problem is, I have no way of knowing whether I have an incorrect setting somewhere. Nor do I know if the results I am showing are reasonably good or not. Since my SDR calibration results are quite good, I would expect the HDR results to be in line with what others are measuring.

Using the Spears&Munsil ver 3 Blu-ray, the maximum luminance I could generate was 1,350 nits:

Feedback on these results would be appreciated.

Last edited by AustinJerry; 07-01-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 806 Old 07-01-2019, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1825 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
OK, I ran the HDR Analysis workflow this evening. I used CalMAN connected via HDMI to generate the patterns, and a C6 HDR2000 meter to take the readings. The PC graphics was setup the same way as for the SDR calibration, and the CalMAN and TV settings were as shown below:

Here are the results. They look considerably different from what was posted by @shoman94 . Problem is, I have no way of knowing whether I have an incorrect setting somewhere. Nor do I know if the results I am showing are reasonably good or not. Since my SDR calibration results are quite good, I would expect the HDR results to be in line with what others are measuring.

Using the Spears&Munsil ver 3 Blu-ray, the maximum luminance I could generate was 1,350 nits:

Whats in the supply chain?

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
post #783 of 806 Old 07-01-2019, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 5048 Post(s)
Liked: 3574
Quote:

Looks like you have local dimming off, it needs to be Med for best results along with XDR on High.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+

Last edited by shoman94; 07-02-2019 at 05:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 806 Old 07-02-2019, 06:24 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Looks like you have local dimming off, it needs to be Med for best results along with XDR on High.

That is exactly why I think we should collectively develop setup guidelines for the HDR evaluation. When I have asked in previous posts, my impression was that except for the settings you explicitly mentioned, all other settings for HDR should be the same as for SDR, including Local Dimming Off. Unfortunately, it looks like I wasted my time last night.
post #785 of 806 Old 07-02-2019, 06:25 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
Whats in the supply chain?

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
What are you asking?
post #786 of 806 Old 07-02-2019, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That is exactly why I think we should collectively develop setup guidelines for the HDR evaluation. When I have asked in previous posts, my impression was that except for the settings you explicitly mentioned, all other settings for HDR should be the same as for SDR, including Local Dimming Off. Unfortunately, it looks like I wasted my time last night.
I'm sorry but I don't always have time to explain every little detail. Anytime you are doing something like this it isn't a waste of time. You are learning as I did when I started doing this. With local dimming off for example you will never go above native panel brightness. Don't be afraid to change setting and explore.

I'm on vacation at my campsite so I pop in once in a while and I don't have time to create a guideline. I have two young kids, I'm building a deck and running them around on boat rides... I'm sorry you wasted your time.

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #787 of 806 Old 07-02-2019, 02:59 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
I'm sorry but I don't always have time to explain every little detail. Anytime you are doing something like this it isn't a waste of time. You are learning as I did when I started doing this. With local dimming off for example you will never go above native panel brightness. Don't be afraid to change setting and explore.

I'm on vacation at my campsite so I pop in once in a while and I don't have time to create a guideline. I have two young kids, I'm building a deck and running them around on boat rides... I'm sorry you wasted your time.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to take out my frustration on you. Some of you may have run into me in the audio threads, specifically REW and MiniDSP. In those threads, I have taken on the responsibility of consolidating the collective wisdom of the experts by creating a number of guides to assist newcomers. I have both the time and the interest for such activities, so I may try and put together a guide that describes the many setup intricacies associated with calibrations for our Sony display’s. If I publish a draft, then all I ask of you and others, like @jrref and @WiFi-Spy , is to look it over for errors or omissions. Reasonable request?
shoman94 likes this.
post #788 of 806 Old 07-02-2019, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Just want to say I've learned a lot from you both shoman94 and AustinJerry (as well as Tyler and others) and really appreciate all the constructive information and help in these threads for people relatively new like me. I think whenever we're working with something new and technical like this, there can be confusion and difficulties figuring out certain questions that don't have immediately obvious answers.

I do find it curious that with SDR, you want Local Dimming off and with HDR, you want it on Medium. I guess it has to do with that XDR setting being necessary for HDR and HDR in general cranking up the brightness?

I find these discussions really interesting, but since SDR maps to HDR and I'm currently pleased with my results, I think I'll hold off on getting in over my head trying to work with HDR directly for now. But I still really appreciate the discussion and the pioneers figuring this out, and I agree a guide at some point might be very helpful similar to what's becoming available for setting computer output; unfortunately, it seems like these things require a lot of trial and error.
shoman94 likes this.
post #789 of 806 Old 07-02-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2704
Quote:

That's okay as long as you finish the guide tonight....no more excuses!
shoman94 likes this.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #790 of 806 Old 07-02-2019, 03:24 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupta View Post
Just want to say I've learned a lot from you both shoman94 and AustinJerry (as well as Tyler and others) and really appreciate all the constructive information and help in these threads for people relatively new like me. I think whenever we're working with something new and technical like this, there can be confusion and difficulties figuring out certain questions that don't have immediately obvious answers.

I do find it curious that with SDR, you want Local Dimming off and with HDR, you want it on Medium. I guess it has to do with that XDR setting being necessary for HDR and HDR in general cranking up the brightness?

I find these discussions really interesting, but since SDR maps to HDR and I'm currently pleased with my results, I think I'll hold off on getting in over my head trying to work with HDR directly for now. But I still really appreciate the discussion and the pioneers figuring this out, and I agree a guide at some point might be very helpful similar to what's becoming available for setting computer output; unfortunately, it seems like these things require a lot of trial and error.
Thank you for the kind words, and I will look forward to having you assist with the guide, should I decide to put one together. The only thing I was trying to do was to run the “HDR Assessment” workflow, which doesn’t actually change my settings, but is supposed to validate the successful mapping of SDR settings to HDR. Pure curiosity on my part. I also am confused by the recommendation to set local dimming to medium, and am hoping that @WiFi-Spy will corroborate this recommendation. Setting XDR to high does make sense, though.

Regardless of whether I succeed with running the HDR Analysis, I think HDR looks stunning on this display!
sgupta likes this.
post #791 of 806 Old 07-02-2019, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for the kind words, and I will look forward to having you assist with the guide, should I decide to put one together. The only thing I was trying to do was to run the “HDR Assessment” workflow, which doesn’t actually change my settings, but is supposed to validate the successful mapping of SDR settings to HDR. Pure curiosity on my part. I also am confused by the recommendation to set local dimming to medium, and am hoping that @WiFi-Spy will corroborate this recommendation. Setting XDR to high does make sense, though.

Regardless of whether I succeed with running the HDR Analysis, I think HDR looks stunning on this display!
Local dimming on medium vs high will give brighter specular brightness in smaller windows under 10% and the difference at 10% is very minimal..... Maybe 50 nits. So the reason I say medium is because that setting along with XDR on high will yield the best results for peak brightness and following the PQ curve

Last edited by shoman94; 07-02-2019 at 04:46 PM.
post #792 of 806 Old 07-02-2019, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
That's okay as long as you finish the guide tonight....no more excuses!
Ha, funny guy

post #793 of 806 Old 07-02-2019, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

It's not really worth doing a separate calibration. It will likely not give you visual improvments and it is more cumbersome dealing with the pic settings. It's a great tool to verify your results to ensure the SDR translation is good.

post #794 of 806 Old 07-02-2019, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, I didn’t mean to take out my frustration on you. Some of you may have run into me in the audio threads, specifically REW and MiniDSP. In those threads, I have taken on the responsibility of consolidating the collective wisdom of the experts by creating a number of guides to assist newcomers. I have both the time and the interest for such activities, so I may try and put together a guide that describes the many setup intricacies associated with calibrations for our Sony display’s. If I publish a draft, then all I ask of you and others, like @jrref and @WiFi-Spy , is to look it over for errors or omissions. Reasonable request?
I would absolutely give feedback and appreciate the guide.

post #795 of 806 Old 07-02-2019, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Local dimming on medium vs high will give brighter specular brightness in smaller windows under 10% and the difference at 10% is very minimal..... Maybe 50 nits. So the reason I say medium is because that setting along with XDR on high will yield the best results for peak brightness and following the PQ curve

Ohhh I think this is starting to click. As explained to me previously (special thanks to JoelArt), XDR works differently in SDR vs. HDR.

In SDR, it tries to expand the ~100 nit information into some of the TV's available brightness capabilities to make things pop more. (I ended up finding out that, for me, this lead to some unpleasant color distortions in SDR, especially with games and certain menus - it seemed to especially throw "off" reds and yellows for me; I was instantly happier once I turned XDR off for SDR, but your mileage may vary). So for the most accurate SDR, XDR need to be off during calibration.

On the flipside, in HDR, XDR is *necessary* to use the entire TV's brightness capabilities fully and map everything properly, and it won't throw off colors the way it can in some situations for SDR. This is to the point that if you turn XDR off, you're actually significantly hampering what HDR can do.

Annnd finally, XDR can ONLY work with Local Dimming On at some level.

So, thinking of it like that, it actually makes sense Local Dimming needs to be on for the HDR assessment; it's the only way the necessary XDR setting can be on.
post #796 of 806 Old 07-02-2019, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2704
Quote:
Ha, funny guy

Oh and enjoy the time off!
shoman94 likes this.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #797 of 806 Old 07-02-2019, 08:40 PM
** Man of Leisure **

OK, I ran another HDR Analysis workflow, this time using various local dimming settings. XDR was on high for all three.

Here are the Grayscale Tracking results for LD Off, LD Medium, and LD High:

IMO, LD Medium looks considerably worse then the other two, and LD High seems to be the best for RGB Balance with Luminance. What exactly is the difference between the with and without luminance measurements? Given these results, should HDR be viewed with LD set to High? None of this is clear to me.

The Peak Luminance result with LD Medium was significantly higher then with LD Off:

Comments?
post #798 of 806 Old 07-02-2019, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, I ran another HDR Analysis workflow, this time using various local dimming settings. XDR was on high for all three.

Here are the Grayscale Tracking results for LD Off, LD Medium, and LD High:

IMO, LD Medium looks considerably worse then the other two, and LD High seems to be the best for RGB Balance with Luminance. What exactly is the difference between the with and without luminance measurements? Given these results, should HDR be viewed with LD set to High? None of this is clear to me.

The Peak Luminance result with LD Medium was significantly higher then with LD Off:

Comments?
Remember in my early post.... You need to manually turn on 100% window before doing a read scan. That why 100% is so low compared to 80+%.

post #799 of 806 Old 07-02-2019, 09:19 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Remember in my early post.... You need to manually turn on 100% window before doing a read scan. That why 100% is so low compared to 80+%.

Are you talking about peak Luminance? I wasn’t really concerned about that measurement. I would be more interested in hearing what you think about the differences with the various LD settings.
post #800 of 806 Old 07-02-2019, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

That is interesting, especially considering the viewable difference between LD medium and high (for both SDR and HDR as far as I've been able to tell from switching back and forth) is very small in most cases. (In fact, in most cases, I can't perceptually tell a difference). I've been more comfy with LD on Medium because I worry about High being too aggressive. I do concur those graphs aren't something I would have expected, though. I'd love to understand more about what's happening there.
post #801 of 806 Old 07-03-2019, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are you talking about peak Luminance? I wasn’t really concerned about that measurement. I would be more interested in hearing what you think about the differences with the various LD settings.
Your last one is similar to what you should get even in medium. The issue is that it measures peak first and sets the graph or yellow line accordingly. So manually set a pattern of 50% or higher for 5 second before doing a read series.

Last edited by shoman94; 07-03-2019 at 06:02 AM.
post #802 of 806 Old 07-10-2019, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi all! I have a 65" Z9F on the way and have been trying read up on AutoCal. I already have an X-Rite i1Display Pro that I currently use with my computer LCD, so I am looking to figure out what I need to get from Portrait Displays. I see that I can buy "CalMAN Home for Sony" but am not seeing what I see referenced in this thread, "CalMAN Home Enthusiast," as a currently purchasable product. Is "CalMAN Home for Sony" really what I want at this point? Am I missing something in that I can't find the home enthusiast product to order (https://store.portrait.com/consumer-software.html)?

Last edited by lowbit; 07-10-2019 at 05:10 PM.
post #803 of 806 Old 07-10-2019, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbit View Post
Hi all! I have a 65" Z9F on the way and have been trying read up on AutoCal. I already have an X-Rite i1Display Pro that I currently use with my computer LCD, so I am looking for figure out what I need to get from Portrait Displays. I see that I can buy "CalMAN Home for Sony" but am not seeing what I see referenced in this thread, "CalMAN Home Enthusiast," as a currently purchasable product. Is "CalMAN Home for Sony" really what I want at this point? Am I missing something in that I can't find the home enthusiast product to order (https://store.portrait.com/consumer-software.html)?
I can't answer the Enthusiast questions specifically (I believe AustinJerry and some others have that, so they might be able to), but Home for Sony works great for AutoCAL and is what I used. I can't comment on meter either as I used the C6 HDR2000, but from my understanding the i1Display Pro is very similar - I'm not sure how differently it works with CalMAN or if the Z9F profile still works the same way with it, but hopefully someone knows the answer to that. All that said, I *think* with the CalMAN Home software, the meter is all you'll need along with some sort of pattern generator; if you take care in setting up a laptop (of which there is a lot of discussion here and in companion threads), CalMAN Home works just great as a pattern generator through the HDMI port. Hopefully this helps!
lowbit likes this.
post #804 of 806 Old 07-10-2019, 05:03 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbit View Post
Hi all! I have a 65" Z9F on the way and have been trying read up on AutoCal. I already have an X-Rite i1Display Pro that I currently use with my computer LCD, so I am looking for figure out what I need to get from Portrait Displays. I see that I can buy "CalMAN Home for Sony" but am not seeing what I see referenced in this thread, "CalMAN Home Enthusiast," as a currently purchasable product. Is "CalMAN Home for Sony" really what I want at this point? Am I missing something in that I can't find the home enthusiast product to order (https://store.portrait.com/consumer-software.html)?
Home Enthusiast is a discontinued product. You want CalMAN Home, unless you want to spend a lot more money. You can use the CalMAN software to generate the test patterns by connecting your laptop to the display using HDMI.
lowbit likes this.
post #805 of 806 Old 07-10-2019, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Home Enthusiast is a discontinued product. You want CalMAN Home, unless you want to spend a lot more money. You can use the CalMAN software to generate the test patterns by connecting your laptop to the display using HDMI.
Thanks a lot AustinJerry and you too sgupta!
AustinJerry and sgupta like this.
post #806 of 806 Old 07-10-2019, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
...but from my understanding the i1Display Pro is very similar - I'm not sure how differently it works with CalMAN or if the Z9F profile still works the same way with it, but hopefully someone knows the answer to that.
I also use the i1 Pro with my CalMan home for Sony and it works as expected. The listed meter profiles will be different (after several trials I've settled on the raw XYZ reading profile). I also think, the C6 has higher top brightness it can correctly register, but can not say for sure. If my memory serves, I read somewhere that max luminance for i1 Pro is 1200 nits.
sgupta likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page