2018 Sony Master Series LCD Calibration Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 328Likes

post #61 of 646 Old 11-14-2018, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4876 Post(s)
Liked: 3434
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
But I am only eight years old. Do I need to leave?
Yes

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 646 Old 11-17-2018, 07:40 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 368 Post(s)
Quoted: 10798 Post(s)
Liked: 6419
I am sure you guys already know this, but when connecting the laptop to a display using HDMI, the windows "Extend desktop" feature allows the pattern window to be rendered on the display being calibrated, while the CalMAN software workflow is being shown on the laptop screen. And by positioning the pattern window appropriately, the interaction with the display's settings pop-ups can be minimized.

The only thing I am unsure of is the sizing of the pattern window. Does this make a difference?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CalMAN Desktop Extension.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	2484050  
post #63 of 646 Old 11-17-2018, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am sure you guys already know this, but when connecting the laptop to a display using HDMI, the windows "Extend desktop" feature allows the pattern window to be rendered on the display being calibrated, while the CalMAN software workflow is being shown on the laptop screen. And by positioning the pattern window appropriately, the interaction with the display's settings pop-ups can be minimized.

The only thing I am unsure of is the sizing of the pattern window. Does this make a difference?
When you calibrate the Z9F, local dimming and ext.dynamic range is off so window size doesn't matter in my experience. You can run a scan with the different sizes and see for yourself.

Yes extended desktop is what I use but you need to select max window with the pattern window so you don't see the rest of the desktop.

AustinJerry and WiFi-Spy like this.

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+

Last edited by shoman94; 11-17-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 646 Old 11-18-2018, 02:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked: 3511
There is available a 2018 Sony AutoCal Reference Guide from SpectraCAL. (uploaded yesterday)
shoman94 likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #65 of 646 Old 11-18-2018, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
There is available a 2018 Sony AutoCal Reference Guide from SpectraCAL. (uploaded yesterday)
I wouldn't why they would use constant 10 apl window when local dimming is off. It shouldn't makes a difference.

post #66 of 646 Old 11-18-2018, 01:13 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Once again, I am confused. The guide states “Required Hardware: CalMAN Compatible Pattern Generator”. I have specifically asked about this before, and have received the answer that the CalMAN software will generate the test patterns. If that is the case, why doesn’t the guide state that an external pattern generator is not a requirement?

And reading through the guide, there are sections that are not explained very well. TBH, I have never found the SpectraCal documentation to be very well written. JMO.
post #67 of 646 Old 11-18-2018, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3288 Post(s)
Liked: 6110
Quote:
Once again, I am confused. The guide states “Required Hardware: CalMAN Compatible Pattern Generator”. I have specifically asked about this before, and have received the answer that the CalMAN software will generate the test patterns. If that is the case, why doesn’t the guide state that an external pattern generator is not a requirement?

And reading through the guide, there are sections that are not explained very well. TBH, I have never found the SpectraCal documentation to be very well written. JMO.
You don’t need an external pattern generator (as much as I’m sure they’d like to sell you one).
shoman94 likes this.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #68 of 646 Old 11-18-2018, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Once again, I am confused. The guide states “Required Hardware: CalMAN Compatible Pattern Generator”. I have specifically asked about this before, and have received the answer that the CalMAN software will generate the test patterns. .
...and your laptop Intel/Nvidia compatible laptop is a calman compatible generator.

post #69 of 646 Old 11-18-2018, 03:41 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
You don’t need an external pattern generator (as much as I’m sure they’d like to sell you one).
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
...and your laptop Intel/Nvidia compatible laptop is a calman compatible generator.

Thank you once again for clarifying.

Does anyone agree with me that the guide could be better written WRT compatible pattern generators?
post #70 of 646 Old 11-18-2018, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you once again for clarifying.

Does anyone agree with me that the guide could be better written WRT compatible pattern generators?

It is conspicuously vague on the patterns that can be generated by the software and PC.

Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #71 of 646 Old 11-19-2018, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked: 3511
Quote:

It has some incorrect instructions, related with HDR10 calibration verification...its recommending to verify with HDR10 compatible generator with Gamma 2.2 REC.2020 as targets, it has to say with ST.2048 as PQ transfer function as target, not the power law gamma we are using for SDR calibration/verification as target gamma.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #72 of 646 Old 12-01-2018, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Doing some scans after the reset and with a full black screen I get 0.000. If I put up the action menu in the top corner I get 0.0013. If I use constant 10% apl window I get 0.0034. There is no doubt that this TV gets black.

First image shows the action menu on the screen, second shows that black level and third shows with 10% apl.
Full black to white is infinite CR, with 0.0013 it's 75000 CR and with 10% apl it's 29000 CR.

Using the ANSI pattern black level is 0.0294 for a CR of 3735.

This is all with Local Dimming on.

ANSI with LD off or LD on low is 1700

AustinJerry and jrref like this.

Last edited by shoman94; 12-01-2018 at 07:48 PM.
post #73 of 646 Old 12-04-2018, 11:36 AM
** Man of Leisure **

A quick question regarding the “Auto Picture Mode” setting, which is described as “automatically selects the picture mode based on viewing content”.

What does this setting really do? If the content I am watching is SDR, HDR, or Dolby Vision, I would absolutely want the display to switch to the appropriate picture mode. If this is what the setting does, why would anyone ever set it to “Off”?

And a basic question: the setting is a button that turns blue when it is switched to the right, and turns gray when switched to the left. Which setting is On, and which is Off?

A second question regarding the Light Sensor. What is the recommended setting here? And same question, is to the right (blue) Off or On?
post #74 of 646 Old 12-04-2018, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A quick question regarding the “Auto Picture Mode” setting, which is described as “automatically selects the picture mode based on viewing content”.

What does this setting really do? If the content I am watching is SDR, HDR, or Dolby Vision, I would absolutely want the display to switch to the appropriate picture mode. If this is what the setting does, why would anyone ever set it to “Off”?

And a basic question: the setting is a button that turns blue when it is switched to the right, and turns gray when switched to the left. Which setting is On, and which is Off?

A second question regarding the Light Sensor. What is the recommended setting here? And same question, is to the right (blue) Off or On?
Shoman is using the light sensor and has a good handle on it. I’ll check on the Auto Pic mode thing.

post #75 of 646 Old 12-04-2018, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

I think blue means "on," and light gray means "off," as I always figured it did on our 940Ds.

I too haven't figured out what Auto Picture Mode does. Right now, I have it off, and my limited testing hasn't shown any negative effect on the set automatically switching between SDR, HDR, and Dolby Vision. This is another item where we may all have to figure it out together. I have the Light Sensor turned off, as I always did with my 940D.

You probably already know, but don't forget to properly set the "Screen" settings, which are hard to find. Sometimes I find them with the "Action Menu" button; other times I have to go to "Home," and then find them in the settings menu (gear icon) on the top right of that page. For that one, I have "Auto wide" on, "Auto display area" off, and "Display area" set to full pixel. Again, these were the settings I was using on my 940D; you may have been, too.
post #76 of 646 Old 12-04-2018, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS3 View Post
I think blue means "on," and light gray means "off," as I always figured it did on our 940Ds.

I too haven't figured out what Auto Picture Mode does. Right now, I have it off, and my limited testing hasn't shown any negative effect on the set automatically switching between SDR, HDR, and Dolby Vision. This is another item where we may all have to figure it out together. I have the Light Sensor turned off, as I always did with my 940D.

You probably already know, but don't forget to properly set the "Screen" settings, which are hard to find. Sometimes I find them with the "Action Menu" button; other times I have to go to "Home," and then find them in the settings menu (gear icon) on the top right of that page. For that one, I have "Auto wide" on, "Auto display area" off, and "Display area" set to full pixel. Again, these were the settings I was using on my 940D; you may have been, too.
The tv’s APM may do some kind of content detection between movies, sports etc and pic a pic mode. i’ll test some tonite

post #77 of 646 Old 12-04-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
The tv’s APM may do some kind of content detection between movies, sports etc and pic a pic mode. i’ll test some tonite
Yeah, that was my suspicion too. It'll be interesting to see your test results.
post #78 of 646 Old 12-04-2018, 02:51 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS3 View Post

I have the Light Sensor switched to the right (blue on) for both the Z9F and the 940D. Switching it to the left increases picture brightness significantly. It is important that I understand this setting correctly, because if I calibrate to 100nits SDR with the switch in the right position, then switching it to the left will exceed 100nits for sure. And I don’t want any automatic brightness optimization going on. I want to set brightness once, and have it remain stable regardless of the ambient light conditions. Isn’t that what everyone wants? I hope someone can clear this up.

Yes, I am familiar with the “Screen” settings, and have them properly configured.

And finally, on the 940D, the Auto Picture Mode wasn’t a slider, it specifically stated Off or On, so no confusion as to whether the slider position was actually off or on. Not sure why some of the settings have changed so significantly from the 940D. For example, there are fewer Motioncontrol options. And when selecting Custom, the Smoothness and Clearness settings on the 940D were min,1,2,3,4,max while on the Z9F they are only min,1,2,max.
post #79 of 646 Old 12-04-2018, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have the Light Sensor switched to the right (blue on) for both the Z9F and the 940D. Switching it to the left increases picture brightness significantly. It is important that I understand this setting correctly, because if I calibrate to 100nits SDR with the switch in the right position, then switching it to the left will exceed 100nits for sure. And I don’t want any automatic brightness optimization going on. I want to set brightness once, and have it remain stable regardless of the ambient light conditions. Isn’t that what everyone wants? I hope someone can clear this up.

Yes, I am familiar with the “Screen” settings, and have them properly configured.

And finally, on the 940D, the Auto Picture Mode wasn’t a slider, it specifically stated Off or On, so no confusion as to whether the slider position was actually off or on. Not sure why some of the settings have changed so significantly from the 940D. For example, there are fewer Motioncontrol options. And when selecting Custom, the Smoothness and Clearness settings on the 940D were min,1,2,3,4,max while on the Z9F they are only min,1,2,max.

I doubt you’ll be able to calibrate with the light sensor on. It’s likely disabled using auto-cal. You’ll set brightness to 4 to get 100 nits.

post #80 of 646 Old 12-04-2018, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I use the auto brightness but set the brightness to Max that was with a dark room it's approx 100 nits. I haven't measured it but it looks the same as brightness 4 which is measured at 105 nits. I think auto picture mode is equipment dependant? If you have different equipment in each HDMI input? I haven't really tested it.

post #81 of 646 Old 12-04-2018, 03:06 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
I doubt you’ll be able to calibrate with the light sensor on. It’s likely disabled using auto-cal. You’ll set brightness to 4 to get 100 nits.
Most likely true, but the setting was on my 940D, which was a manual calibration. I still would like to know definitively how the setting works, and which position the slider is in represents Off.
post #82 of 646 Old 12-04-2018, 03:08 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
I use the auto brightness but set the brightness to Max that was with a dark room it's approx 100 nits. I haven't measured it but it looks the same as brightness 4 which is measured at 105 nits. I think auto picture mode is equipment dependant? If you have different equipment in each HDMI input? I haven't really tested it.

Please, share with me how you have the Light Sensor set—to the right, or to the left?
post #83 of 646 Old 12-04-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I'd think if you want a constant brightness setting, I believe the off position for the Light Sensor is light gray (not blue). It seems to me that you should calibrate SDR with that and leave it there. Chad B is calibrating my Z9F in a couple of days, so I'll have him check the setting of the switch. (I don't have all the fancy meters and stuff that you guys have.)
AustinJerry likes this.
post #84 of 646 Old 12-04-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
on the 940D, the Auto Picture Mode wasn’t a slider, it specifically stated Off or On, so no confusion as to whether the slider position was actually off or on.
Ah, the good old days of 2016, when we knew absolutely when Auto Picture Mode was off!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	940D daytime SDR.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	2491598  
post #85 of 646 Old 12-04-2018, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Please, share with me how you have the Light Sensor set—to the right, or to the left?
It's to the right....lol

Gray is off and Turquoise is on.
AustinJerry likes this.

post #86 of 646 Old 12-04-2018, 05:13 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
It's to the right....lol

OK, I understand that you have the Light Sensor on. Care to explain why you think having automatic brightness optimization according to ambient light turned on is a better setting than maintaining the same brightness regardless of ambient light?
post #87 of 646 Old 12-04-2018, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, I understand that you have the Light Sensor on. Care to explain why you think having automatic brightness optimization according to ambient light turned on is a better setting than maintaining the same brightness regardless of ambient light?
Because the room light changes all the time since this is my living room TV. Having brightness set to Max and auto set on ensure you maintain a decent brightness all the time. I never have to mess with anything.
FYI brightness settings does not effect the calibration in SDR..... Only how bright/dim it is.

AustinJerry likes this.

Last edited by shoman94; 04-21-2019 at 07:36 PM.
post #88 of 646 Old 12-04-2018, 05:29 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Because the room light changes all the time since this is my favorite room TV. Having brightness set to Max and auto set on ensure you maintain a decent brightness all the time. I never have to mess with anything.
FYI brightness settings does not effect the calibration in SDR..... Only how bright/dim it is.

OK, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I will give this a try. I am going to try my first autocal this evening!
shoman94 and thomasfxlt like this.
post #89 of 646 Old 12-04-2018, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I will give this a try. I am going to try my first autocal this evening!
Good luck!

post #90 of 646 Old 12-04-2018, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked: 2683
Quote:
It's to the right....lol

As per "normal" Android toggles...