2018 Sony Master Series LCD Calibration Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 425Likes

post #901 of 915 Old 03-02-2020, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Another follow up. I have extensively watched numerous titles in a movie theater like environment using my calibration with black level set to 48. This has been a nice improvement for me overall.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I've been doing the same thing and I absolutely agree. Everything about the calibration came out more natural, even though the numbers on CMS were still not to my liking with a 2.2 max DE on CMS for orange, but contrast is better, and just more natural looking everything.
shoman94 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 915 Old 03-26-2020, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Which Dolby Vision mode should I use?

Please note the findings in the post linked below by @D-Nice today about DV Dark vs. DV Bright . . . he discovered a significant shift in Sony’s EOTF curve that shows that DV Bright is the most accurate for any attached HDMI DV source (i.e. player-led DV processing, not tv-led DV processing like internal Tv app’s.)

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post59414008

His methodology for testing player vs. tv-led DV processing can be found in the 2020 LG OLED calibration thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post59414724

Last edited by bobbyg53; 03-26-2020 at 06:07 PM.
post #903 of 915 Old 03-26-2020, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5737 Post(s)
Liked: 3833
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg53 View Post

Please note the findings in the post linked below by @D-Nice today about DV Dark vs. DV Bright . . . he discovered a significant shift in Sony’s EOTF curve that shows that DV Bright is the most accurate for any attached HDMI DV source (i.e. player-led DV processing, not tv-led DV processing like internal Tv app’s.)

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post59414008

His methodology for testing player vs. tv-led DV processing can be found in the 2020 LG OLED calibration thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post59414724

I don't believe that to be true on the LCD. Especially the Z9F. DV Dark aligns with the HDR10 which aligns with the PQ. If I use DV Bright then DV is much brighter than HDR10 and they should be similar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #904 of 915 Old 03-26-2020, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Quoted: 2606 Post(s)
Liked: 4733
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
I don't believe that to be true on the LCD. Especially the Z9F. DV Dark aligns with the HDR10 which aligns with the PQ. If I use DV Bright then DV is much brighter than HDR10 and they should be similar.

Don’t assume. Measure it. I don’t have a Sony LCD here yet but they are using the same player-led DV profile as the OLEDs. As soon as I get one, it will be measured.
post #905 of 915 Old 03-26-2020, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
Don’t assume. Measure it. I don’t have a Sony LCD here yet but they are using the same player-led DV profile as the OLEDs. As soon as I get one, it will be measured.
DV Dark aligns well with HDR10 and honestly overall, all three are similar to SDR with shadow detail. DV Bright is much much brighter and shows way more shadow detail.

I used Harry Potter 7 part-2 panning shot to compare all 3 modes.

I know in the past most have complained that DV Dark was too dark on the A9F/A9G and compared DV Bright to be similar to HDR10.

I don't own an OLED so I can't look myself.

I need to buy the DV patterns from Ryan.

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+

Last edited by shoman94; 03-26-2020 at 09:40 PM.
post #906 of 915 Old 04-20-2020, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Something to chew on, Bias setting does not appear change the black floor.... I have made adjustments to have not affected the black level.

Last edited by shoman94; 04-21-2020 at 04:59 AM.
post #907 of 915 Old 04-26-2020, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I know most people here are using Calman, but just did my first ever calibration on my Z9F with an i1Display Pro and HCFR (using the Chromecast generator feature).

So far only did a greyscale calibration using the 2-point and 10-point settings. Turned light sensor, local dimming off, left most other things at their default settings (I did a quick contrast check with the S&M UHD disk on my Xbox One X in SDR, but it looked OK to me). Slightly annoying that the points don't line up with the 10% IRE levels (control displacement is a known thing?), lots of trial/error. Also, took me a while to figure out that clicking the column headings changed the patterns in HCFR.

Tried to do a color calibration, but for some strange reason the red/green/blue patterns didn't seem to respond to any changes to the Hue/etc. color settings on the TV. Not sure if I'm missing some other setting somewhere. Will have to try and figure that out.

Still reading a lot about everything and will probably buy Calman Home later in the year, but looking forward to continuing to learn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hcfr-initialmeasurements.PNG
Views:	18
Size:	811.1 KB
ID:	2717152   Click image for larger version

Name:	hcfr-calibrationresults.png
Views:	18
Size:	365.6 KB
ID:	2717154  
post #908 of 915 Old 04-27-2020, 06:21 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 479 Post(s)
Quoted: 12477 Post(s)
Liked: 7448
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowo View Post
I know most people here are using Calman, but just did my first ever calibration on my Z9F with an i1Display Pro and HCFR (using the Chromecast generator feature).

So far only did a greyscale calibration using the 2-point and 10-point settings. Turned light sensor, local dimming off, left most other things at their default settings (I did a quick contrast check with the S&M UHD disk on my Xbox One X in SDR, but it looked OK to me). Slightly annoying that the points don't line up with the 10% IRE levels (control displacement is a known thing?), lots of trial/error. Also, took me a while to figure out that clicking the column headings changed the patterns in HCFR.

Tried to do a color calibration, but for some strange reason the red/green/blue patterns didn't seem to respond to any changes to the Hue/etc. color settings on the TV. Not sure if I'm missing some other setting somewhere. Will have to try and figure that out.

Still reading a lot about everything and will probably buy Calman Home later in the year, but looking forward to continuing to learn.
The autocalibration support in CalMAN for this display makes it a worthwhile purchase, IMO.
post #909 of 915 Old 04-27-2020, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowo View Post

When you do the grayscale adjustments you should be setting Contrast to 100. This should help line up your points.

When I used HCFR you could not use the Chromecast feature for making color adjustments..... grayscale only.

post #910 of 915 Old 05-12-2020, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I have to ask this question amongst all of you calibrators. If most Movies are mastered to DCI P3 standard, why would I watch them in REC.2020 color gamut? if I am thinking this through correctly, the directors intent would be DCI P3 color Gamut. Maybe some animated movies have a wider color gamut. So instead of having it on Auto (REC2020) and giving me slightly more saturation even though its really not what was intended making for uneven brightness which in turn accentuates motion judder, maybe DCI P3 is the right choice for most UHD discs?

I am looking forward to your replies.
post #911 of 915 Old 05-13-2020, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzh21y View Post
I have to ask this question amongst all of you calibrators. If most Movies are mastered to DCI P3 standard, why would I watch them in REC.2020 color gamut? if I am thinking this through correctly, the directors intent would be DCI P3 color Gamut. Maybe some animated movies have a wider color gamut. So instead of having it on Auto (REC2020) and giving me slightly more saturation even though its really not what was intended making for uneven brightness which in turn accentuates motion judder, maybe DCI P3 is the right choice for most UHD discs?

I am looking forward to your replies.
Rec2020 is a container and the standard for HDR. DCI-P3 is just a level TVs are pushing to acheive within rec2020 and some now are actually exceeding it with some of the colors.

post #912 of 915 Old Today, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I own the Z9F, and now that lockdowns are over I want to get it professionally calibrated. With other TVs I've had, the person doing the calibration could create a new "custom" profile of settings and adjust as necessary to achieve proper calibration. They could create a profile for each input (eg cable box, BD player, etc) that could be enabled separately.

With the Z9F, there is a picture mode called "Custom" but no way that I can find to actually create a new profile for a custom set of calibrated settings. Am I missing how to do that? What is the best practice for calibration?

Also...what is the custom picture mode that's included intended for? It seems to be very close to the "Cinema" mode.
post #913 of 915 Old Today, 01:24 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I own the Z9F, and now that lockdowns are over I want to get it professionally calibrated. With other TVs I've had, the person doing the calibration could create a new "custom" profile of settings and adjust as necessary to achieve proper calibration. They could create a profile for each input (eg cable box, BD player, etc) that could be enabled separately.

With the Z9F, there is a picture mode called "Custom" but no way that I can find to actually create a new profile for a custom set of calibrated settings. Am I missing how to do that? What is the best practice for calibration?

Also...what is the custom picture mode that's included intended for? It seems to be very close to the "Cinema" mode.
You are limited to the picture modes you see—custom, photo, graphics, game, cinema, standard, and vivid. When using calibration software, you can unlock two other picture modes, custom for pro1 and 2.

I don’t understand the need for multiple settings profiles. Typically, the advanced color temperature settings and per color adjustments are common for all inputs. When more than one profile is used, it is normally for daytime vs. nighttime viewing, not to differentiate among various inputs.
post #914 of 915 Old Today, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
You are limited to the picture modes you see—custom, photo, graphics, game, cinema, standard, and vivid. When using calibration software, you can unlock two other picture modes, custom for pro1 and 2.

I don’t understand the need for multiple settings profiles. Typically, the advanced color temperature settings and per color adjustments are common for all inputs. When more than one profile is used, it is normally for daytime vs. nighttime viewing, not to differentiate among various inputs.
Maybe it's my ignorance, but I thought when I had my last set calibrated in 2011 that I was told each input needed to be calibrated separately to account for device specific variations. If not, that's cool.

So if I have it calibrated by a certified person, they will know about the "pro 1" and "pro 2" picture modes and use the calibrated settings in one of those modes? Is that essentially correct?

I don't have either the hardware or the software, or I'd look into doing it myself.
post #915 of 915 Old Today, 01:50 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Maybe it's my ignorance, but I thought when I had my last set calibrated in 2011 that I was told each input needed to be calibrated separately to account for device specific variations. If not, that's cool.

So if I have it calibrated by a certified person, they will know about the "pro 1" and "pro 2" picture modes and use the calibrated settings in one of those modes? Is that essentially correct?

I don't have either the hardware or the software, or I'd look into doing it myself.
The professional calibrator will surely know about those special picture modes, and can also advise you whether different input devices will need unique settings.
jrref likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page