Samsung CMS - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-13-2018, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mabrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Samsung CMS

I recently purchased a Samsung Q8FN which has CMS controls for the RGB and the secondary colors. I have not had CMS on my previous Sony's so I'm not quite sure how to adjust them. In reading articles and posts, most say you need to adjust Hue, and Saturation and Luminance, but on Samsung they are l just red, green and blue sliders. My delta E is high on the green and blue and am wondering how I can tune this in. I have adjusted the greyscale and gamma with no trouble.

Thanks
mabrandt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 11-13-2018, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ConnecTEDDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 7,750
Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2919 Post(s)
Liked: 3549
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrandt View Post
I recently purchased a Samsung Q8FN which has CMS controls for the RGB and the secondary colors. I have not had CMS on my previous Sony's so I'm not quite sure how to adjust them. In reading articles and posts, most say you need to adjust Hue, and Saturation and Luminance, but on Samsung they are l just red, green and blue sliders. My delta E is high on the green and blue and am wondering how I can tune this in. I have adjusted the greyscale and gamma with no trouble.

Thanks
Hi,

Samsung's have RGB calibration controls for it's CMS, unlike other displays which have HSL.

With RGB controls you can have exact same results like HSL, just you will use the controls differently.

For example for Red (Primary).

If you want to remove Luminance you have to reduce the Red Slider.

If you want to de-saturate it you have to add equal amount of Green+Blue (when you will do this, it will increase Luminance also)

If you want to change hue, you add only Green or Blue, this has to do with the direction you want.

For example about Magenta (Secondary)

If you want to de-saturate it then add Green.

If you want to remove Luminance then remove Red+Blue.

If you want to change hue add only Red or Blue according to the direction you want.

Calibration software have RGB bars chart for CMS to help you make decisions.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
ConnecTEDDD is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 11-13-2018, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mabrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi,

Samsung's have RGB calibration controls for it's CMS, unlike other displays which have HSL.

With RGB controls you can have exact same results like HSL, just you will use the controls differently.

For example for Red (Primary).

If you want to remove Luminance you have to reduce the Red Slider.

If you want to de-saturate it you have to add equal amount of Green+Blue (when you will do this, it will increase Luminance also)

If you want to change hue, you add only Green or Blue, this has to do with the direction you want.

For example about Magenta (Secondary)

If you want to de-saturate it then add Green.

If you want to remove Luminance then remove Red+Blue.

If you want to change hue add only Red or Blue according to the direction you want.

Calibration software have RGB bars chart for CMS to help you make decisions.
That`s kind of what I thought it would do. I'm using Calman. On the Gamut page, What should I look for
mabrandt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 Old 11-13-2018, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ConnecTEDDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 7,750
Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2919 Post(s)
Liked: 3549
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrandt View Post
That`s kind of what I thought it would do. I'm using Calman. On the Gamut page, What should I look for
See for a workflow page where it will have RGB balance chart for Gamut, for your measured color.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
ConnecTEDDD is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 06-04-2019, 01:11 AM
Member
 
mombasa123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Excellent article on Samsung CMS here :
https://support.murideo.com/hc/en-us...or-Samsung-TVs
mombasa123 is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 06-04-2019, 09:57 AM
Senior Member
 
jdoostil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mombasa123 View Post
Excellent article on Samsung CMS here :
https://support.murideo.com/hc/en-us...or-Samsung-TVs
I just came in to post that link. Thanks!

AVPro Edge/Murideo Training and Education
ISF certified in 2008, Level II in 2010, Level III in 2017
ISF instructor certified since 2012
[email protected]
Serving Florida
jdoostil is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Display Calibration

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off