2019 LG OLED Calibration and User Settings (No price talk) - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 248Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 375 Old 05-14-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 6,318
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4304 Post(s)
Liked: 6508
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinion View Post
Hi guys, quick question. I'm planning to buy a C9 this year and see it has this built in cal if you have an external colorimeter. Would a Colormunki Display puck be suitable for doing this? My understanding is it's the same sensor and filters as the more expensive model just doesn't have the faster processing in it. I already own the Display and use it on my PC with DisplayCal so it would be nice to not have to buy new hardware for this.
Just to clarify, it does not have built-in calibration. It has a built-in pattern generator that can be controlled by calibration software running externally to the TV (or in theory, running in an App in the TV).
Rolls-Royce likes this.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 375 Old 05-14-2019, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 21,054
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Liked: 3493
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Just to clarify, it does not have built-in calibration. It has a built-in pattern generator that can be controlled by calibration software running externally to the TV (or in theory, running in an App in the TV).

sorry if asked/answered:
what do I need to display built-in pattern generator on a C9?

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner


markrubin is offline  
post #363 of 375 Old 05-14-2019, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 5,068
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4146 Post(s)
Liked: 4940
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
sorry if asked/answered:
what do I need to display built-in pattern generator on a C9?
Best I can tell because I haven't tested it, you access the internal test pattern generator from Calman. When you select the 2019 LG, the LG Autocal workflow will populated with the extras and one part if the workflow describes how to connect and use it. There are no user controls to access it.
markrubin likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
jrref is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #364 of 375 Old 05-14-2019, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WiFi-Spy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,535
Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1257 Post(s)
Liked: 1862
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
sorry if asked/answered:
what do I need to display built-in pattern generator on a C9?


A copy of CalMAN 2019.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
WiFi-Spy is offline  
post #365 of 375 Old 05-18-2019, 02:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Do I need a specific version of the X-Rite OEM I1 Display colorimeter or can I just buy one from ebay and use it with CalMAN Home for LG from the CalMAN website?

Since I live in Europe, buying the X-Rite OEM I1 Display from the US would mean customs and high shipping costs I'd like to avoid.
Siran77 is offline  
post #366 of 375 Old Yesterday, 03:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 6,318
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4304 Post(s)
Liked: 6508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siran77 View Post
Do I need a specific version of the X-Rite OEM I1 Display colorimeter or can I just buy one from ebay and use it with CalMAN Home for LG from the CalMAN website?

Since I live in Europe, buying the X-Rite OEM I1 Display from the US would mean customs and high shipping costs I'd like to avoid.
There are some distributors for SpectraCal over here. I got my kit from https://www.digitalgarage.tv/ and they were really good.

To answer the question, the SpectraCal branded version (https://app.spectracal.com/Documents...ctraCal-C6.pdf ) contains profiles for different displays. If you bought a standard version, you won't get these. Meaning the calibration won't be as accurate unless you also have a spectrophotometer (hideously expensive) to create an accurate profile yourself for your TV.

Even then, having the profiles is only an "average" of profiles which doesn't take into account panel variances. But it's a lot better than just using nothing. And, good luck working out which profile to use for which display! This is knowledge which seems to be very closely guarded and secret. I did appeal for a more descriptive list and better guidance on the SpectraCal forum, but that request was about as welcome as a turd in a hot-tub. And the forum has now been shut down
Siran77 likes this.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is offline  
post #367 of 375 Old Yesterday, 03:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siran77 View Post
Do I need a specific version of the X-Rite OEM I1 Display colorimeter or can I just buy one from ebay and use it with CalMAN Home for LG from the CalMAN website?

Since I live in Europe, buying the X-Rite OEM I1 Display from the US would mean customs and high shipping costs I'd like to avoid.
You can get the i1display pro oem from Ted, he sells it from europe.
Siran77 likes this.

Panasonic OLED55FZW 804
i1 Display Pro OEM 2018 profiled by Jeti 1501
i1 Pro 2, DVDo AVLab TPG, HD Fury Integral
Oppo UDP203
baller02 is offline  
post #368 of 375 Old Yesterday, 03:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
There are some distributors for SpectraCal over here. I got my kit from https://www.digitalgarage.tv/ and they were really good.

To answer the question, the SpectraCal branded version (https://app.spectracal.com/Documents...ctraCal-C6.pdf ) contains profiles for different displays. If you bought a standard version, you won't get these. Meaning the calibration won't be as accurate unless you also have a spectrophotometer (hideously expensive) to create an accurate profile yourself for your TV.

Even then, having the profiles is only an "average" of profiles which doesn't take into account panel variances. But it's a lot better than just using nothing. And, good luck working out which profile to use for which display! This is knowledge which seems to be very closely guarded and secret. I did appeal for a more descriptive list and better guidance on the SpectraCal forum, but that request was about as welcome as a turd in a hot-tub. And the forum has now been shut down
And here I thought it would be easy. So I cannot just buy and download CalMAN Home for LG from their website, I have to get their version of the X-Rite OEM I1 Display colorimeter since only this one will have the appropriate profiles to get the most accurate results? That's unfortunate.
Siran77 is offline  
post #369 of 375 Old Yesterday, 03:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by baller02 View Post
You can get the i1display pro oem from Ted, he sells it from europe.

Thanks - will this have the profiles to accurately calibrate with CalMAN Home for LG?
Siran77 is offline  
post #370 of 375 Old Yesterday, 04:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 6,318
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4304 Post(s)
Liked: 6508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siran77 View Post
And here I thought it would be easy. So I cannot just buy and download CalMAN Home for LG from their website, I have to get their version of the X-Rite OEM I1 Display colorimeter since only this one will have the appropriate profiles to get the most accurate results? That's unfortunate.
Yes, but not quite as you have phrased it.

Their profiles are for average results. Eg, the average LG OLED C9, the average LG OLED C8, etc. These will give you "very good results".

If you get a spectrophotometer you can create a profile for Siran77's exact LG OLED C9, or any other TV you have to calibrate. Only this way, will you get "the most accurate" results.

ps. It's not easy unfortunately. Just as you thought you'd got your spectro to get the best results for your exact panel, someone will rock up and point out that you have bought a "cheap" meter in the C6/X-Rite, , and that it's not as accurate as a professional meter, and you've been having fun playing at calibration but you don't actually have "the most accurate" at all. NB: they will never point this out before your spectro purchase, which you thought would be worth it; it may seem mendacious but it's not, the people here are generally great and I've learned a lot over a long time. But be ready for it to always happen just after your purchases. So just as in life, nothing worthwhile is easy
Siran77 likes this.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; Yesterday at 04:29 AM.
mrtickleuk is offline  
post #371 of 375 Old Yesterday, 04:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Yes, but not quite as you have phrased it.

Their profiles are for average results. Eg, the average LG OLED C9, the average LG OLED C8, etc. These will give you "very good results".

If you get a spectrophotometer you can create a profile for Siran77's exact LG OLED C9, or any other TV you have to calibrate. Only this way, will you get "the most accurate" results.

ps. It's not easy unfortunately. Just as you thought you'd got your spectro to get the best results for your panel, someone will rock up and point out that you have bought a "cheap" meter in the C6/X-Rite, , and that it's not as accurate as a professional meter, and you've been having fun playing at calibration but you don't actually have "the most accurate" at all. NB: they will not tell you this before your purchase, it may seem mendacious but it's not. But be ready for it to always happen just after your purchases. So just as in life, nothing worthwhile is easy
So if I understand you correctly it's either

1. a generic X-Rite OEM I1 Display colorimeter without profile for least accurate results
2. the X-Rite OEM I1 Display colorimeter from SpectraCal/CalMAN with the standard LG 2019 OLED profile and have high shipping costs and customs
3. a hideously expensive spectrophotometer to get the most accurate results for my specific display.

Last edited by Siran77; Yesterday at 04:34 AM.
Siran77 is offline  
post #372 of 375 Old Yesterday, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 6,318
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4304 Post(s)
Liked: 6508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siran77 View Post
So if I understand you correctly it's either

1. a generic X-Rite OEM I1 Display colorimeter without profile for least accurate results
2. the X-Rite OEM I1 Display colorimeter from SpectraCal/CalMAN with the standard LG 2019 OLED profile and have high shipping costs and customs
3. a hideously expensive spectrophotometer to get the most accurate results for my specific display.
Yes, also if you do (3) you don't need (2). A spectro is used to create the profile, and then you don't need it again, you use the profiled meter to do the actual calibration. Some people hire spectros out, so it might be possible for you to do that (no idea where from). See also https://app.spectracal.com/Documents...0Profiling.pdf

(2) isn't the OEM model, they call them C6 and C6HDR2000 etc to differentiate them from the OEM model. And again, you may be able to save on costs and customs if you can find a distributor. I contact SpectraCal at the time to find a distributor and they put me in touch with digital garage.

Cost wise it's
(1) cheapest
(2) more, but good enough for most
(3) + (1) more
(3) + (2) even more, and you could have saved money by buying an OEM meter, but it's not normally where beginners start.

I've got excellent results with (2) as my calibration hobby. It can be addictive and I can feel myself wanting a spectro though
Siran77 likes this.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; Yesterday at 04:45 AM.
mrtickleuk is offline  
post #373 of 375 Old Yesterday, 04:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 60
With the oem you can’t use the Profiles from Calman, they are only for the C6.

The cheapest thing is to buy the i1 display pro oem and rent a spectro or let it profile from other calibrators with spectros.
mrtickleuk likes this.

Panasonic OLED55FZW 804
i1 Display Pro OEM 2018 profiled by Jeti 1501
i1 Pro 2, DVDo AVLab TPG, HD Fury Integral
Oppo UDP203
baller02 is offline  
post #374 of 375 Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WiFi-Spy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,535
Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1257 Post(s)
Liked: 1862
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
There are some distributors for SpectraCal over here. I got my kit from https://www.digitalgarage.tv/ and they were really good.



To answer the question, the SpectraCal branded version (https://app.spectracal.com/Documents...ctraCal-C6.pdf ) contains profiles for different displays. If you bought a standard version, you won't get these. Meaning the calibration won't be as accurate unless you also have a spectrophotometer (hideously expensive) to create an accurate profile yourself for your TV.



Even then, having the profiles is only an "average" of profiles which doesn't take into account panel variances. But it's a lot better than just using nothing. And, good luck working out which profile to use for which display! This is knowledge which seems to be very closely guarded and secret. I did appeal for a more descriptive list and better guidance on the SpectraCal forum, but that request was about as welcome as a turd in a hot-tub. And the forum has now been shut down


Nothing is a closely guarded secret. It’s just that display manufactures never tell you what type of backlight technology they are using unless they can use it for marketing. Also each manufacturer has a ridiculous amount of models that they produce each year and some of the same models can have different display technologies in different sizes and sales regions.

Also the C6 profiles have nothing to do with an average of anything. They combine the individual meter spectral response of the filters in each individual meter with a spectrum of a known display technology, which has very very little variation from panel to panel of the same model.

Also, just because there is a panel to panel variability in things like uniformity and factory color calibration, does not mean there it is significant variation in the SPD of each panel.
chunon and mrtickleuk like this.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
WiFi-Spy is offline  
post #375 of 375 Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 6,318
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4304 Post(s)
Liked: 6508
Appreciate the corrections, as ever . I think my wording was clumsy. I certainly misunderstood the profiles thing, it seems.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Display Calibration

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off