2019 LG OLED Calibration and User Settings (No price talk) - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 248Likes

post #361 of 375 Old 05-14-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4304 Post(s)
Liked: 6508
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinion View Post
Hi guys, quick question. I'm planning to buy a C9 this year and see it has this built in cal if you have an external colorimeter. Would a Colormunki Display puck be suitable for doing this? My understanding is it's the same sensor and filters as the more expensive model just doesn't have the faster processing in it. I already own the Display and use it on my PC with DisplayCal so it would be nice to not have to buy new hardware for this.
Just to clarify, it does not have built-in calibration. It has a built-in pattern generator that can be controlled by calibration software running externally to the TV (or in theory, running in an App in the TV).
Rolls-Royce likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 375 Old 05-14-2019, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Liked: 3493
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Just to clarify, it does not have built-in calibration. It has a built-in pattern generator that can be controlled by calibration software running externally to the TV (or in theory, running in an App in the TV).

sorry if asked/answered:
what do I need to display built-in pattern generator on a C9?

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #363 of 375 Old 05-14-2019, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 4146 Post(s)
Liked: 4940
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
sorry if asked/answered:
Best I can tell because I haven't tested it, you access the internal test pattern generator from Calman. When you select the 2019 LG, the LG Autocal workflow will populated with the extras and one part if the workflow describes how to connect and use it. There are no user controls to access it.
markrubin likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 375 Old 05-14-2019, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Quoted: 1257 Post(s)
Liked: 1862
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
sorry if asked/answered:

A copy of CalMAN 2019.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #365 of 375 Old 05-18-2019, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Do I need a specific version of the X-Rite OEM I1 Display colorimeter or can I just buy one from ebay and use it with CalMAN Home for LG from the CalMAN website?

Since I live in Europe, buying the X-Rite OEM I1 Display from the US would mean customs and high shipping costs I'd like to avoid.
post #366 of 375 Old Yesterday, 03:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siran77 View Post
Do I need a specific version of the X-Rite OEM I1 Display colorimeter or can I just buy one from ebay and use it with CalMAN Home for LG from the CalMAN website?

Since I live in Europe, buying the X-Rite OEM I1 Display from the US would mean customs and high shipping costs I'd like to avoid.
There are some distributors for SpectraCal over here. I got my kit from https://www.digitalgarage.tv/ and they were really good.

To answer the question, the SpectraCal branded version (https://app.spectracal.com/Documents...ctraCal-C6.pdf ) contains profiles for different displays. If you bought a standard version, you won't get these. Meaning the calibration won't be as accurate unless you also have a spectrophotometer (hideously expensive) to create an accurate profile yourself for your TV.

Even then, having the profiles is only an "average" of profiles which doesn't take into account panel variances. But it's a lot better than just using nothing. And, good luck working out which profile to use for which display! This is knowledge which seems to be very closely guarded and secret. I did appeal for a more descriptive list and better guidance on the SpectraCal forum, but that request was about as welcome as a turd in a hot-tub. And the forum has now been shut down
Siran77 likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #367 of 375 Old Yesterday, 03:49 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

You can get the i1display pro oem from Ted, he sells it from europe.
Siran77 likes this.

Panasonic OLED55FZW 804
i1 Display Pro OEM 2018 profiled by Jeti 1501
i1 Pro 2, DVDo AVLab TPG, HD Fury Integral
Oppo UDP203
post #368 of 375 Old Yesterday, 03:50 AM

Quote:
There are some distributors for SpectraCal over here. I got my kit from https://www.digitalgarage.tv/ and they were really good.

To answer the question, the SpectraCal branded version (https://app.spectracal.com/Documents...ctraCal-C6.pdf ) contains profiles for different displays. If you bought a standard version, you won't get these. Meaning the calibration won't be as accurate unless you also have a spectrophotometer (hideously expensive) to create an accurate profile yourself for your TV.

Even then, having the profiles is only an "average" of profiles which doesn't take into account panel variances. But it's a lot better than just using nothing. And, good luck working out which profile to use for which display! This is knowledge which seems to be very closely guarded and secret. I did appeal for a more descriptive list and better guidance on the SpectraCal forum, but that request was about as welcome as a turd in a hot-tub. And the forum has now been shut down
And here I thought it would be easy. So I cannot just buy and download CalMAN Home for LG from their website, I have to get their version of the X-Rite OEM I1 Display colorimeter since only this one will have the appropriate profiles to get the most accurate results? That's unfortunate.
post #369 of 375 Old Yesterday, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller02 View Post
You can get the i1display pro oem from Ted, he sells it from europe.

Thanks - will this have the profiles to accurately calibrate with CalMAN Home for LG?
post #370 of 375 Old Yesterday, 04:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And here I thought it would be easy. So I cannot just buy and download CalMAN Home for LG from their website, I have to get their version of the X-Rite OEM I1 Display colorimeter since only this one will have the appropriate profiles to get the most accurate results? That's unfortunate.
Yes, but not quite as you have phrased it.

Their profiles are for average results. Eg, the average LG OLED C9, the average LG OLED C8, etc. These will give you "very good results".

If you get a spectrophotometer you can create a profile for Siran77's exact LG OLED C9, or any other TV you have to calibrate. Only this way, will you get "the most accurate" results.

ps. It's not easy unfortunately. Just as you thought you'd got your spectro to get the best results for your exact panel, someone will rock up and point out that you have bought a "cheap" meter in the C6/X-Rite, , and that it's not as accurate as a professional meter, and you've been having fun playing at calibration but you don't actually have "the most accurate" at all. NB: they will never point this out before your spectro purchase, which you thought would be worth it; it may seem mendacious but it's not, the people here are generally great and I've learned a lot over a long time. But be ready for it to always happen just after your purchases. So just as in life, nothing worthwhile is easy
Siran77 likes this.

Last edited by mrtickleuk; Yesterday at 04:29 AM.
post #371 of 375 Old Yesterday, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Yes, but not quite as you have phrased it.

Their profiles are for average results. Eg, the average LG OLED C9, the average LG OLED C8, etc. These will give you "very good results".

If you get a spectrophotometer you can create a profile for Siran77's exact LG OLED C9, or any other TV you have to calibrate. Only this way, will you get "the most accurate" results.

ps. It's not easy unfortunately. Just as you thought you'd got your spectro to get the best results for your panel, someone will rock up and point out that you have bought a "cheap" meter in the C6/X-Rite, , and that it's not as accurate as a professional meter, and you've been having fun playing at calibration but you don't actually have "the most accurate" at all. NB: they will not tell you this before your purchase, it may seem mendacious but it's not. But be ready for it to always happen just after your purchases. So just as in life, nothing worthwhile is easy
So if I understand you correctly it's either

1. a generic X-Rite OEM I1 Display colorimeter without profile for least accurate results
2. the X-Rite OEM I1 Display colorimeter from SpectraCal/CalMAN with the standard LG 2019 OLED profile and have high shipping costs and customs
3. a hideously expensive spectrophotometer to get the most accurate results for my specific display.

Last edited by Siran77; Yesterday at 04:34 AM.
post #372 of 375 Old Yesterday, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So if I understand you correctly it's either

1. a generic X-Rite OEM I1 Display colorimeter without profile for least accurate results
2. the X-Rite OEM I1 Display colorimeter from SpectraCal/CalMAN with the standard LG 2019 OLED profile and have high shipping costs and customs
3. a hideously expensive spectrophotometer to get the most accurate results for my specific display.
Yes, also if you do (3) you don't need (2). A spectro is used to create the profile, and then you don't need it again, you use the profiled meter to do the actual calibration. Some people hire spectros out, so it might be possible for you to do that (no idea where from). See also https://app.spectracal.com/Documents...0Profiling.pdf

(2) isn't the OEM model, they call them C6 and C6HDR2000 etc to differentiate them from the OEM model. And again, you may be able to save on costs and customs if you can find a distributor. I contact SpectraCal at the time to find a distributor and they put me in touch with digital garage.

Cost wise it's
(1) cheapest
(2) more, but good enough for most
(3) + (1) more
(3) + (2) even more, and you could have saved money by buying an OEM meter, but it's not normally where beginners start.

I've got excellent results with (2) as my calibration hobby. It can be addictive and I can feel myself wanting a spectro though
Siran77 likes this.

Last edited by mrtickleuk; Yesterday at 04:45 AM.
post #373 of 375 Old Yesterday, 04:45 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 60
With the oem you can’t use the Profiles from Calman, they are only for the C6.

The cheapest thing is to buy the i1 display pro oem and rent a spectro or let it profile from other calibrators with spectros.
mrtickleuk likes this.

Panasonic OLED55FZW 804
i1 Display Pro OEM 2018 profiled by Jeti 1501
i1 Pro 2, DVDo AVLab TPG, HD Fury Integral
Oppo UDP203
post #374 of 375 Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Quoted: 1257 Post(s)
Liked: 1862
Quote:

Nothing is a closely guarded secret. It’s just that display manufactures never tell you what type of backlight technology they are using unless they can use it for marketing. Also each manufacturer has a ridiculous amount of models that they produce each year and some of the same models can have different display technologies in different sizes and sales regions.

Also the C6 profiles have nothing to do with an average of anything. They combine the individual meter spectral response of the filters in each individual meter with a spectrum of a known display technology, which has very very little variation from panel to panel of the same model.

Also, just because there is a panel to panel variability in things like uniformity and factory color calibration, does not mean there it is significant variation in the SPD of each panel.
chunon and mrtickleuk like this.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #375 of 375 Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Appreciate the corrections, as ever . I think my wording was clumsy. I certainly misunderstood the profiles thing, it seems.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page