2019 LG OLED Calibration and User Settings (No price talk) - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 334Likes

post #511 of 517 Old 07-21-2019, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMINENT1 View Post
Could anyone experienced in Calman let me know if calibrating modes are independent of each other? As in, is it necessary to calibrate SDR first before any HDR or it doesn't matter?
To my knowledge, all modes are independent. Not just SDR and HDR but actually each picture mode (isf Expert bright / isf Expert dark etc.) has its own settings and LUTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMINENT1 View Post
Also, if auto cal workflow ends with 50 brightness and 85 contrast when setting the final luminosity at 100 for sdr and I test the nearblack16-27, is it ok to adjust brigbtness up or does that mess up the calibration? I have to up brightness to 53 to barely see 17.
Changing the brightness will definitely change your results of your previous calibration. You can verify it yourself by running another pre-calibration measurement after changing the brightness and comparing it with the post-calibration results. Your deltaE values will most likely be worse after changing the brightness, one tick might not have a big impact though.

Assuming you've also used the de_ITP formula (as suggested by Tyler), the near black results of my SDR calibrations (as said before in this forum) pretty much look the same. And I'm not too happy about it either ...
Toto84 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 517 Old 07-21-2019, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi4Vision View Post
To my knowledge, all modes are independent. Not just SDR and HDR but actually each picture mode (isf Expert bright / isf Expert dark etc.) has its own settings and LUTs.

Changing the brightness will definitely change your results of your previous calibration. You can verify it yourself by running another pre-calibration measurement after changing the brightness and comparing it with the post-calibration results. Your deltaE values will most likely be worse after changing the brightness, one tick might not have a big impact though.

Assuming you've also used the de_ITP formula (as suggested by Tyler), the near black results of my SDR calibrations (as said before in this forum) pretty much look the same. And I'm not too happy about it either ...
Sorry. I know the modes are independent. I meant to ask, are DV/HDR dependent on the SDR calibration or can they be done in any order?

As far as near black, i'm concerned about this too as no one has responded to any of my other questions in the Calman thread except for the meter profiling.
If some are saying to follow the workflow and not deviate, I get that. But it's contradictory to some other stuff i've read here about using the test patterns for 16-27. There are some really dark scenes that could use some brightness I have noticed.
For example in Chilling Adventures of Sabrina where there's a black shirt and jacket but you can't tell that they're wearing a shirt. It's just a head and neck and blackness and looks like they're wearing an all black jumper.

If this is truly the director intent, I'm good.. but why are people saying to adjust brightness to barely see 17/18 when this isn't what I'm seeing with calibration?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Toto84 likes this.

2016 Vizio P65-C1
2014 Vizio P50-B1E
2011 Vizio E3D420VX
2016 Vizio Smartcast Soundbar 5.1 SB4551-D5, Xbox One S, Roku 3, Mini-itx HTPC w/i7-6700k Plex Server

Last edited by EMINENT1; 07-24-2019 at 07:05 AM.
post #513 of 517 Old 08-04-2019, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

Just after some advice. I have a LG 65C9 screen and looking to purchase CalMAN Home for LG, use TV built in pattern generator and either:

X-Rite i1 Display colorimeter OEM
X-Rite i1 Pro
Spider X Pro
Spider X Elite

This page lists the X-Rite models however not the Spyder X but previous version: “Spyder 5”.

Any suggestions which is best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #514 of 517 Old 08-04-2019, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
post #515 of 517 Old 08-18-2019, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi.
I am struggling a bit with the HDR calibration on my LG C9. Bought Calman Home to use with my i1 Display Pro. I am completely new to TV calibration and have just been following the video guide closely, with few changes based on this thread (setting Low Light Handling for the i1).
The HDR result looks off. In a weird way that makes me wonder if something else than the calibration is the issue. I was hoping someone might have an idea based on these pictures.

Picture 1: A picture from Calman during calibration. One weird thing I have noticed is, at the top under LG 2019 OLED it says Cinema, even though I selected HDR Game at the screen where you reset DDC. It never changes the profile shown at the top. Does that matter? It is certainly changing the HDR Game profile during the calibration, as is also evident from the other pictures.
Also, there are a few black spots on the image, outside the white center, which aren't there in the video guide (edit: nvm, theose are in the video too).

Picture 2-3. From an LG test video stored on the TV. The liquid in the bottle is quite red in the uncalibrated Cinema profile (and was mostly the same in the uncalibrated Game profile before). But in the calibrated Game profile, it turns orange. Now, I obviously dont know which color that liquid is supposed to be, but I am assuming it is red.
Video can also be found here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y9nX0QHqzA

Picture 4-5. Test image from some HDR youtube video, www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEtUF7RT3pw
Here the uncalibrated Cinema profile has, washed out colors, relatively to the calibrated profile does not. In a way it gives the opposite impression to the previous pictures. But the big difference seems weird. They clearly can't both be correct.
I also tried the test patterns in Calman. They show the same difference.

P.S. Just to be clear, the pictures here are of course not 100% color accurate to what I see on the TV - they are bad phone pictures after all - but the difference between the pictures are fairly accurate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDR Game calibrated.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	2604526   Click image for larger version

Name:	HDR Cinema uncalibrated.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	2604528   Click image for larger version

Name:	HDR Game calibrated 2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	798.7 KB
ID:	2604530   Click image for larger version

Name:	HDR Cinema uncalibrated.jpg.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	491.4 KB
ID:	2604532   Click image for larger version

Name:	hdr game calibration.png
Views:	30
Size:	383.8 KB
ID:	2604534  

Last edited by Shadout; 08-19-2019 at 09:27 AM.
post #516 of 517 Old 08-19-2019, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked: 2084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadout View Post
Hi.

I am struggling a bit with the HDR calibration on my LG C9. Bought Calman Home to use with my i1 Display Pro. I am completely new to TV calibration and have just been following the video guide closely, with few changes based on this thread (setting Low Light Handling for the i1).

The HDR result looks off. In a weird way that makes me wonder if something else than the calibration is the issue. I was hoping someone might have an idea based on these pictures.

Picture 1: A picture from Calman during calibration. One weird thing I have noticed is, at the top under LG 2019 OLED it says Cinema, even though I selected HDR Game at the screen where you reset DDC. It never changes the profile shown at the top. Does that matter? It is certainly changing the HDR Game profile during the calibration, as is also evident from the other pictures.

Also, there are a few black spots on the image, outside the white center, which aren't there in the video guide.

Picture 2-3. From an LG test video stored on the TV. The liquid in the bottle is quite red in the uncalibrated Cinema profile (and was mostly the same in the uncalibrated Game profile before). But in the calibrated Game profile, it turns orange. Now, I obviously dont know which color that liquid is supposed to be, but I am assuming it is red.

Video can also be found here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y9nX0QHqzA

Picture 4-5. Test image from some HDR youtube video, www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEtUF7RT3pw

Here the uncalibrated Cinema profile has, washed out colors, relatively to the calibrated profile does not. In a way it gives the opposite impression to the previous pictures. But the big difference seems weird. They clearly can't both be correct.

I also tried the test patterns in Calman. They show the same difference.

P.S. Just to be clear, the pictures here are of course not 100% color accurate to what I see on the TV - they are bad phone pictures after all - but the difference between the pictures are fairly accurate.

It should say HDR Game in the display tab, if not then you loaded the 3D LUT into the wrong slot on the TV. Also, fYI there is a CalMAN Home for LG specific thread.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #517 of 517 Old 08-19-2019, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks. I was aware of the Calman Home thread, but wasn't sure which one was the most appropriate thread. Taking any follow-up questions there instead.

Edit: Just wanted to say that everything seems to be working now.
Always nice when the problem is yourself. So much easier to fix

Last edited by Shadout; 08-19-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page