LG OLED's 3D LUT Profiling using LightSpace Thread - Page 45 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1029Likes

post #1321 of 1339 Old 05-10-2020, 03:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 493
we are talking about the same thing, but it's like I explained earlier. u need the "best" numbers in this test in order to determine the best probe offset method. this is achieved by not introducing new variables that ultimately mean nothing. Reading w/ the spectro has no benefits other than verifying that the math wasn't completely wrong - which u can easily test w/ just 1 or 2 reads.

but u need to finish the test w/ the colorimeter in place, collect all data, then calculate and compare. and after u collected all data w/ the colorimeter u can quickly hook up the spectro and read either 100% R|G. if the color is close to target u know the math worked as before the cLUT 100% G was way off the target on a wide gamut display.

naturally, u don't need to do the spectro dummy test if u properly unit tested ur system, as then u ensure the math is always correct.

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools: Display Calibration Tools, Lightspace & Custom Color Patch Set & Gamma Calibration on Panasonic 65VT60
meter: CR-300, Klein K-10 A, i1Pro 2, i1D3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1339 Old 05-10-2020, 03:38 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
right, but as I explained, that is a failsafe verification. These dE numbers are less meaningful as the ones he would have gotten w/ the colorimeter still in place.

or do u run validation of a cLUT w/ a spectro ? no, u use the colorimeter w/ the same probe offsets as used for main profile. u keep the same conditions as in the main profile.
On the native 3DLUT of my E8 I have done probe matching and verifications that brought me to exclude volumetric correction. Keep also in mind that my panel has linearity issues, so I have had to be very careful in matching Klein and Jeti Y (beyond all the best practice I have read), and I have done all the needed verification. So the question I have tried to answer was: what is the advantage I have in using TMC instead of FCMM in generation. So, based on the 3DLUT generated with FCMM and TCM, I have performed with my Jeti what I have named a quality assessment.
mrtickleuk likes this.

TV: LG 55E8PLA, Pana TX-L37ET5E BD/DVR: Panasonic BMR-BWT735 Media player: Teufel Connector 2, HT Rec: ANTHEM MRX 510,
Front: Woofer&Tweeter, Center: 2Woofer&1Tweeter, Surround: Bose acoustimass 5 series II, Sub: SVS SB2000
post #1323 of 1339 Old 05-10-2020, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
we are talking about the same thing, but it's like I explained earlier. u need the "best" numbers in this test in order to determine the best probe offset method. this is achieved by not introducing new variables that ultimately mean nothing. Reading w/ the spectro has no benefits other than verifying that the math wasn't completely wrong - which u can easily test w/ just 1 or 2 reads.

but u need to finish the test w/ the colorimeter in place, collect all data, then calculate and compare. and after u collected all data w/ the colorimeter u can quickly hook up the spectro and read either 100% R|G. if the color is close to target u know the math worked as before the cLUT 100% G was way off the target on a wide gamut display.

naturally, u don't need to do the spectro dummy test if u properly unit tested ur system, as then u ensure the math is always correct.
I do not agree, if you really want to test a complex probe matching method 1/2 readings are not enough, their not even enough if you want to validate the match, imagine if you are testing the efficiency of the method. It's not Disneyland here... This is Sparta! (Cit.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1324 of 1339 Old 05-10-2020, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 14
great statement, especially the one with Sparta X))))👍
Anger.miki likes this.
post #1325 of 1339 Old 05-10-2020, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone have any recommendations where i can get a tripod mount that's easy to match FOV with a pro2/i1d3?
post #1326 of 1339 Old 05-10-2020, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger.miki View Post
I do not agree, if you really want to test a complex probe matching method 1/2 readings are not enough, their not even enough if you want to validate the match, imagine if you are testing the efficiency of the method. It's not Disneyland here... This is Sparta! (Cit.)
if this is SPARTA, then I'm about to front-kick u down that giant hole, b/c u need to read my posts properly.

I said, for the failsafe verification that ur own custom math was correct 1-2 reads are easily sufficient - it's either in place or not. for a full cLUT validation obviously u should run large patch sets as I've been advocating for years - incl. earlier in this thread when ebr only ran 216 points...

I've explained now a few times. although tbh, this is just plain logic of keeping all parameters consistent in the test from start to finish, w/o introducing unnecessary variables that add nothing but just distort.

don't worry about it. obviously, there's always various ways to skin a cat, but when it comes to evaluation u wanna make sure u don't fool urself w/ distorted data as in: u wanna compare apples w/ apples....

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools: Display Calibration Tools, Lightspace & Custom Color Patch Set & Gamma Calibration on Panasonic 65VT60
meter: CR-300, Klein K-10 A, i1Pro 2, i1D3

Last edited by DrDon; 05-11-2020 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Condescending remarks removed
post #1327 of 1339 Old 05-10-2020, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Ok, I give up. As my grandfather said: time, water and soap are wasted washing the donkey head.
jrref, mrtickleuk and liberator72 like this.

Last edited by Anger.miki; 05-10-2020 at 11:42 PM.
post #1328 of 1339 Old 05-11-2020, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 275 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked: 2501
Quote:
I thought (erroneously?) you verified a volumetric match with 1.2k patches, that's why I asked for bpds and the patchset (CSV) been involved. Nevermind.

Does Disney uses LightSpace or CalMAN?

Calman
Anger.miki likes this.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for Calman
post #1329 of 1339 Old 05-11-2020, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3491 Post(s)
Liked: 4430
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
Calman
I use CalMAN: https://www.calman.com.br/
RickD_99, octav59, Make73 and 6 others like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration S/W: LightSpace ZRO / HCFR
S/W: ColourSpace INF, LightSpace XTP, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, ChromaPure
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box P/G: Murideo Six-G, DVDO AVLab TPG
Meter: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A
post #1330 of 1339 Old 05-11-2020, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked: 1546
Quote:
Does Disney uses LightSpace or CalMAN?
As can be seen here, Disney have LightSpace, along with just about every other top post production facility and studio globally.
Many are also upgrading to ColourSpace - obviously.

https://www.lightillusion.com/customers.html

We have also had a lot of facilities/studios recently trade-up to LightSpace/ColourSpace from alternative display calibration systems, based on issues they have found with calibration accuracy, including image artefacts/banding.

Steve
Make73 likes this.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

Last edited by Light Illusion; 05-11-2020 at 09:29 AM.
post #1331 of 1339 Old 05-26-2020, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
Guys, I have posted to the ColourSpace thread details on how you can now calibrate Dolby Vision & HDR if you own a 2019 LG OLED using the iTPG if you have either LightSpace or ColourSpace.

Whilst it can certainly be done with LightSpace, it is much, much easier if you have ColourSpace due to the updated user interface. If you own a 2019 LG OLED and happen to be eligible for the ColourSpace upgrade, it might be worth signing up to the CS Beta program if you want to attempt DV/HDR calibration.

Hope this helps
SamuriHL, Make73, 1forsnow and 3 others like this.

LG OLED65C9MLB**Denon AVR-X3500H**Focal Sib Evo Atmos 5.1.2**Sky Q UHD**Xbox One X**Panasonic DP-UB820**ATV 4K
Klein K10-A**Jeti 1501**i1D3 OEM**LightSpace HTP**CalMAN Home for LG**DVDO AVLab TPG**HD Fury Integral 2
Ted's Disk & Media Files**S & M HD & UHD HDR Benchmark Disks
post #1332 of 1339 Old 05-26-2020, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberator72 View Post
Guys, I have posted to the ColourSpace thread details on how you can now calibrate Dolby Vision & HDR if you own a 2019 LG OLED using the iTPG if you have either LightSpace or ColourSpace.

Whilst it can certainly be done with LightSpace, it is much, much easier if you have ColourSpace due to the updated user interface. If you own a 2019 LG OLED and happen to be eligible for the ColourSpace upgrade, it might be worth signing up to the CS Beta program if you want to attempt DV/HDR calibration.

Hope this helps [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Ooh. Just got a C9. You've piqued my curiosity. Still breaking the set in.

Emotiva + Energy = Love
post #1333 of 1339 Old 05-27-2020, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberator72 View Post

Hope this helps
Now I'm curious, how are the results compared to the standard HDR / DV calibration with the CMS? currently rec2020 is about 75% and DCI is up to 97%. or is it purely about the PQ?
post #1334 of 1339 Old 05-27-2020, 04:31 AM

hope it will also be feasible for CX in the future?
post #1335 of 1339 Old 05-27-2020, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1462 Post(s)
Liked: 1545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob D. View Post
Now I'm curious, how are the results compared to the standard HDR / DV calibration with the CMS? currently rec2020 is about 75% and DCI is up to 97%. or is it purely about the PQ?
You can't increase percentage of gamut coverage. That is based solely on the TV's native gamut. However, you will be making the TV's coverage of the chosen gamut - as well as the grayscale - more accurate and linear.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #1336 of 1339 Old 05-27-2020, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob D. View Post
Not really sure what you mean by calibration with the CMS? It has never been advised to make any manual CMS adjustments in either HDR or DV with these sets.

HDR has the capability to load a new 3x3 Matrix LUT for colour management, but it really isn’t needed (the factory Matrix LUT is perfectly fine) so it completely disregarded. Peak luminance can be uploaded, as can custom tone curves.

Dolby Vision has the capability to load a DV Config file for colour management and peak luminance and that is catered for.

Basic instructions are all in the linked and subsequent posts over in the ColourSpace thread, with further more detailed instructions available on request from @ConnecTEDDD via his website for LightSpace and ColourSpace license holders.
Jakob D. likes this.

LG OLED65C9MLB**Denon AVR-X3500H**Focal Sib Evo Atmos 5.1.2**Sky Q UHD**Xbox One X**Panasonic DP-UB820**ATV 4K
Klein K10-A**Jeti 1501**i1D3 OEM**LightSpace HTP**CalMAN Home for LG**DVDO AVLab TPG**HD Fury Integral 2
Ted's Disk & Media Files**S & M HD & UHD HDR Benchmark Disks
post #1337 of 1339 Old 05-27-2020, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
You can't increase percentage of gamut coverage. That is based solely on the TV's native gamut. However, you will be making the TV's coverage of the chosen gamut - as well as the grayscale - more accurate and linear.
true, I didn't think of that, thanks for your clarification!
Rolls-Royce likes this.
post #1338 of 1339 Old 05-27-2020, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked: 1546
While you cannot go beyond the native gamut of the display, accurate calibration will maximise the available gamut, which can indeed make a significant difference.
This is often very true with LUT calibration, but can be the case with manual calibration too.
This is often due inaccurate white point/grey scale, as that can 'shift' the gamut, causing reduction at the gamut edge.

Steve
Jakob D. likes this.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #1339 of 1339 Old 05-27-2020, 06:46 AM

great, look forward to using it in the future
Sponsored Links
Advertisement