LG OLED's 3D LUT Profiling using LightSpace Thread - Page 48 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1122Likes

post #1411 of 1416 Old 06-22-2020, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberator72 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronitis View Post
Hey everyone. I'm getting an hdfury on Friday and I'm ready to calibrated HDR with lightspace. From reading the lightspace HDR guide it looks like you can't load a 3d lut lut into an HDR preset. Then I get on here and see that you guys are using 3d luts for HDR. Calman has a guide online that makes it seem like it's an easy process.
Seems like you might be misunderstanding. You don't use a 3D LUT for HDR because you can't accurately calibrate HDR on a WOLED TV. CalMAN's calibration isn't a 3D LUT either, it's just a new 3x3 CMS Matrix loaded into the 3D LUT slot. The factory 3x3 Matrix is perfectly fine for HDR, there is no need to change it.

Quote:
What do I have to do to profile and calibrate the tv? Do I need to send 1d and 3d unity luts? Do I also need to set roll-off to 100% in custom tone mapper? The lightspace guide says you can't calibrate on top of an existing eotf or a tv with metadata. It says to calibrate with a power law gamma, which the only thing I can think of that will allow that is a 1d lut reset. Then there's Dolby vision calibration, which I'm assuming uses the same steps....I'm extremely confused and could use some help. Thank you guys.
Depending on whether you have a 2018/2019/2020 LG the process is different. With the 2019/2020 LG's you can use the iTPG to do both HDR and DV using manual adjustments of the User Menu controls and without the need of the HD Fury.

For 2018 LG's, you can use the HD Fury to send HDR metadata, reset the 1D LUT and create a new one (using an Augmented grey scale profile) which can also be loaded to Dolby Vision. It works well enough, but you are then bound to whatever irregularities that loading a Custom 1D LUT to any particular picture mode brings, so it isn't really advised. In this case, HDR 2 Point WB touch up is the best you can really do (IMO) and for Dolby Vision on the 2018's, it can't be done at all with just a HD Fury using LightSpace I'm afraid.

Edited to add: If you were to attempt the above 1D LUT procedure on a 2018 LG, you would need to Enable Calibration mode from Device Control Template to be able you measure to power law gamma and switch off the the TV's undefeatable internal tone mapping. However this also has its own quirks in that with Enable Calibration checked, it produces different readings to with it disabled.

Using the 2019 iTPG method, you do NOT need to Enable Calibration.
Thank you for the clarification. You may have just saved me some cash. Quick question: Do I need to reset the custom tone mapper for everything to fall in line or does this bypass the eotf entirely?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1416 Old 06-22-2020, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 1163
Quote:
Thank you for the clarification. You may have just saved me some cash. Quick question: Do I need to reset the custom tone mapper for everything to fall in line or does this bypass the eotf entirely?
Are you working with a 2018 or a 2019 LG OLED?

For 2018, there is no custom tone curves.

For 2019, there are custom tone curves, but they do not need resetting prior to calibration. They can be adjusted and experimented with after calibration if you want, or left at default.

For 2018, you will still need an HD Fury or some other method of sending HDR patterns, but Dolby Vision is not possible with LightSpace unless you use the method outlined in my previous post and use a 1D LUT from HDR. For this you would just "Enable Calibration" from Device Control Template which bypasses the PQ EOTF and allows you to measure/adjust to 2.2 Gamma. The issue is that a custom 1D LUT has differing unintended effects on different picture modes. With HDR and Dolby Vision, it affects the black levels undesirably. (This is the same for 2019 LG's too)

So for 2018, 2 point White Balance adjustment is the best you can do. You can try manually calibrating the Dolby Vision full grey scale with R. Masciola's DV Pattern suite, but I wouldn't recommend it at all.

For 2019, you can use the iTPG for both HDR and Dolby Vision very easily as outlined in this post here, and is further discussed later in that same thread. Full instructions (in a written guide form) along with any relevant/required files are available to all users with a paid license of LightSpace/ColourSpace and can be obtained from @ConnecTEDDD upon request. The reason for the paid license restriction is that the Device Control Template required to carry out the procedure is also only available to paid license holders so they would be useless to anyone without such a license.

It must be noted that the 2019 method using the iTPG guide is written with the assumption ColourSpace will be used to carry out the calibration as it is much easier to do with the more modern interface and new capabilities. It can be done using LightSpace, so anyone without a ColourSpace upgrade can still do it, but it will be a little more cumbersome.

LG OLED65C9MLB**Denon AVR-X3500H**Focal Sib Evo Atmos 5.1.2**Sky Q UHD**Xbox One X**Panasonic DP-UB820**ATV 4K
Klein K10-A**Jeti 1501**i1D3 OEM**ColourSpace HTX**LightSpace HTP**CalMAN Home for LG**DVDO AVLab TPG**HD Fury Integral 2
Ted's Disk & Media Files**S & M HD & UHD HDR Benchmark Disks
post #1413 of 1416 Old 06-26-2020, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3505 Post(s)
Liked: 4502
Its now available a new ColourSpace beta.

The most important feature is the addition of the 4 Color Volumetric Matching as the default meter profiling method.

The most significant advantage of that new meter profiling method it will be for the WRGB OLED users.

It will require measuring the regular WRGB patches from each meter, like the old FCMM meter profiling process (3 times for stability/averaging).,

The result is slightly better from the LG Bodner method since the new FCVM profiling method has a benefit at the gamut's boundary edges.

Also, the addition of Pre-roll and Stabilization patches during meter profiling is an excellent addition for more stable final results.
SamuriHL and sat4all like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration S/W: LightSpace ZRO / HCFR
S/W: ColourSpace INF, LightSpace XTP, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, ChromaPure
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box P/G: Murideo Six-G, DVDO AVLab TPG
Meter: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1414 of 1416 Old 06-27-2020, 03:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just curious but does anyone know why RGB values in the SM are 192 instead of 255, it seems that you lose a good deal of peak brightness for HDR this way, or is it a deliberate decision to reduce the risk of burn-in?
post #1415 of 1416 Old 06-27-2020, 03:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanekiu View Post
Just curious but does anyone know why RGB values in the SM are 192 instead of 255, it seems that you lose a good deal of peak brightness for HDR this way, or is it a deliberate decision to reduce the risk of burn-in?
Look at this thread here

Specifically at this post
Rolls-Royce likes this.

LG OLED65C9MLB**Denon AVR-X3500H**Focal Sib Evo Atmos 5.1.2**Sky Q UHD**Xbox One X**Panasonic DP-UB820**ATV 4K
Klein K10-A**Jeti 1501**i1D3 OEM**ColourSpace HTX**LightSpace HTP**CalMAN Home for LG**DVDO AVLab TPG**HD Fury Integral 2
Ted's Disk & Media Files**S & M HD & UHD HDR Benchmark Disks
post #1416 of 1416 Old 06-27-2020, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberator72 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanekiu View Post
Look at this thread here

Specifically at this post
Ahh I see...

BTW for anyone else using their TV as a HTPC setup with NVIDIA GPU's and direct profiling I would recommend checking which driver version is used, as I recently noticed that some driver versions broke output somewhat causing banding that should not be there, the recently released driver seems to fix the issue but in turn i needed to redo the 3DLUT, and upload the new one again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page