LG OLED's 3D LUT Profiling using LightSpace Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 581Likes

post #181 of 851 Old 03-24-2019, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 436
LG OLED's 3D LUT Profiling using LightSpace Thread

I tested the LG template from device control in combination with the latest Lightspace release and could achieve stunning results. At this stage I can say that I really have no need to upgrade to the C9 this year because this is a huge step in picture quality for SDR.

So how does it work?

Setup:
- LG with 4.10.31 firmware (needs engineering mode in Service Menu)
- ASBL deactivated
- DVDO TPG @ YCbCr 4:2:2 - 12 bit
- Lightspace 10.0.0.2922
- CalMAN Ultimate 5.9.2.59 for verification and cross measurements
- Device Control with LG template
- id3 profiled in Hi-Res Mode with i1Pro2
- 21^3 LUT

LG TV:
- All processing off
- Contrast 100 for measurements
- Contrast 85 for verification
- OLED Light 25 ~ 115 nits

First of all I updated to the upcoming firmware release of the LG C8 4.10.31 because they fixed the near black problems and changed the dithering also. I measured the difference and it's also easily to see with the eye.

Firmware 4.10.15

Firmware 4.10.31

After that I reseted 1D and 3D LUT via Device Control which locks some of the internal controls of the LG. Then I measured a Grey only quick profile and created a 1D LUT which I uploaded to the LG via Device Control. Unfortunately I had problems to create a new LUT with Aug data so I skipped that part.

Then I created a 21^3 cube with a custom patchset. I also used the pre roll function to set the display in the right power consumption conditions which helps to reduce the drift later.

It took me little more then six hours with my setup but it is worth it

The drift is good and stable just at the end the temperature drops just a little bit

Ive never had a better pq before and the combination of the new firmware with the Lightspace LUT is beyond everything I achieved before with CalMAN. I hope they fix they 3D LUT problems in the future. Anyone who really wants to get out the best in terms of pq needs to try this. BTW I didn't used Aug data after 3D LUT upload because it messed up the gamma maybe someone else can check that either. My next try will be a 17^3 with LS standard patch sequence and I will not reset 1D LUT I just do a 2p adjustment and will only reset 3D LUT via Device control because that only locks the gamut setting. But not now because for the moment I just want to watch movies without thinking about my calibration and relax.

Thanks to Ted, Steve and all the others that maked this possible

TV: LG OLED 65C8 Sources: Apple TV 4K, OPPO UDP-203 Video Processor: TruVue eeColor
Probe: Klein K10-A, i1 Display Pro OEM Rev.B (2018), i1Pro2 OEM Rev.E Software: Lightspace HTP, Calman 2019 Ultimate

Last edited by BlackJoker; 03-25-2019 at 03:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 851 Old 03-24-2019, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJoker View Post
Setup:
- ASBL deactivated
- Lightspace 10.0.0.2922
- 21^3 LUT

LG TV:
- All processing off
- Contrast 100
Thanks for posting your results.

You can actually download the 4.10.31 firmware directly from the LG website now. Also, can you explain why you used Contrast 100? I'm getting mixed info on whether I should use 85 or 100 when using the LS workflow.

I plan to do a full reset tomorrow and generate new LUTs. Is the new Devicecontrol finally available or do you have early access to it?
post #183 of 851 Old 03-25-2019, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member

LG OLED's 3D LUT Profiling using LightSpace Thread

I used contrast 100 to have more headroom for the LUT. When you do the verification later you set back to 85.

When you use CalMAN for example you can not use contrast 100 because every time when you hit AutoCal it will set contrast back to 85 it's hard coded because the internal LUT needs 85 to bypass.

With LS you don't have this limitation. I had early access to the template but I'm sure it will be released soon.
clifak likes this.

TV: LG OLED 65C8 Sources: Apple TV 4K, OPPO UDP-203 Video Processor: TruVue eeColor
Probe: Klein K10-A, i1 Display Pro OEM Rev.B (2018), i1Pro2 OEM Rev.E Software: Lightspace HTP, Calman 2019 Ultimate

Last edited by BlackJoker; 03-25-2019 at 03:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 851 Old 03-25-2019, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3481 Post(s)
Liked: 4335
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifak View Post
Thanks for posting your results

Also, can you explain why you used Contrast 100? I'm getting mixed info on whether I should use 85 or 100 when using the LS workflow.
Quote:
I used contrast 100 to have more headroom for the LUT.

When you use CalMAN for example you can not use contrast 100 because every time when you hit AutoCal it will set contrast back to 85 it's hard coded because the internal LUT needs 85 to bypass.

With LS you don't have this limitation.
About the question of the Contrast setting of 100 Fabio used, which look like an unusual setting for CalMAN users, as CalMAN recommendation were saying the Contrast should be set to 85 and brightness to 50 for LUT’s to work as designed. (bypass settings)

We found (with help of Maciej Koper from HDTVPolska.com also) that the bypass setting of Contrast 85 works when you are using 16-255 patch generation.

When you are using 16-235 patches, you have to set contrast to 100 when you will measure, and after the LUT generation and everything loaded internally to the TV, then you can restore it back to 85 when you will take post-calibration verification.

But you need to set the OLED Light in a setting where you will have about 20% more nits (for example to 120 nits) then you will have Contrast @ 100, because later when you will reduce Contrast to 85, it will reduce your luminance output also, so you will have 100 nits @ verification.

Measure for post-calibration (with above method), it will provide this slightly better results from keeping Contrast @ 85 when you are using 16-235 patch generation.

As Brightness/Contrast are positioned before 3D/1D LUT's, you don't want any change of these controls to be performed to your input signal while you will taking measurements for LUT's generation.

So for these controls to work as bypass, when you are using 16-255 patches, the Contrast 85 is the bypass while when you will use 16-235 patches the Contrast 100 is the bypass.

Image processing chain seems to be: Input Signal -> Contrast/Brightness -> 3D LUT -> 1D LUT (gamma preset, white balance, CMS) -> OLED Light -> Display's Panel.

With this processing chain, you must set contrast this way to make incoming signal levels match LUT level during profiling.

But after profiling you can change Contrast, it will not mess the LUT calibration because it processes the signal before LUT is applied.

The same procedure has to performed with all displays that have internal LUT full range, its not only for LG.

The general rule is that everything before LUT's (from input signal side) must be bypassed before profiling, and can be adjusted after LUT calibration. Everything placed after LUT can be adjusted before profiling and can’t be changed after calibration. OLED LIGHT can’t be touched after 3D or 1D LUT, and 1D LUT must be done first (if used) with 3D LUT bypassed (UNITY).

The input signal must match the dynamic range of a display to make the LUT align to signal levels correctly.

When profiling with CR:85 / BR:50 the signal must be delivered in 16-255 range.

When profiling with CR:100 / BR:50 the signal must be delivered in 16-235 range.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration S/W: LightSpace ZRO / HCFR
S/W: ColourSpace INF, LightSpace XTP, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, ChromaPure
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box P/G: Murideo Six-G, DVDO AVLab TPG
Meter: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A
post #185 of 851 Old 03-25-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5282
Quote:
I tested the LG template from device control in combination with the latest Lightspace release and could achieve stunning results. At this stage I can say that I really have no need to upgrade to the C9 this year because this is a huge step in picture quality for SDR.

So how does it work?

Setup:
- ASBL deactivated
- Lightspace 10.0.0.2922
- 21^3 LUT

LG TV:
- All processing off
- Contrast 100 for measurements
- Contrast 85 for verification

First of all I updated to the upcoming firmware release of the LG C8 4.10.31 because they fixed the near black problems and changed the dithering also. I measured the difference and it's also easily to see with the eye.

Firmware 4.10.15

Firmware 4.10.31

After that I reseted 1D and 3D LUT via Device Control which locks some of the internal controls of the LG. Then I measured a Grey only quick profile and created a 1D LUT which I uploaded to the LG via Device Control. Unfortunately I had problems to create a new LUT with Aug data so I skipped that part.

Then I created a [/b]21^3 cube with a custom patch-set[/b]. I also used the pre roll function to set the display in the right power consumption conditions which helps to reduce the drift later.

It took me little more then [/b]six hours[/b] with my setup but it is worth it

The drift is good and stable just at the end the temperature drops just a little bit

Ive never had a better pq before and the combination of the new firmware with the Lightspace LUT is beyond everything I achieved before with CalMAN. I hope they fix they 3D LUT problems in the future. Anyone who really wants to get out the best in terms of pq needs to try this. BTW I didn't used Aug data after 3D LUT upload because it messed up the gamma maybe someone else can check that either. My next try will be a 17^3 with LS standard patch sequence and I will not reset 1D LUT I just do a 2p adjustment and will only reset 3D LUT via Device control because that only locks the gamut setting. But not now because for the moment I just want to watch movies without thinking about my calibration and relax.

Thanks for this summary. So a 21^3 cube (9261 pts) took ~6 hours and your next try will be a 17^3 cube with 4913 pts should take about 3 hours right? You are using the smaller profiling LUT to save time and to check whether you see any difference in the outcome, right?
post #186 of 851 Old 03-25-2019, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Wow, so the brightness and contrast controls are not affecting the 1D LUT? That's a strange choice made by LG.

According to the link from hometheaterreview, the CMS controls on the LG are working in linear space, and require a gamma-space -> linear-space and back conversion. This means the CMS controls can't affect the 1D LUT. This processing must happen somewhere else.

How about when calibrating for the full range 0-255 8 bit RGB signals. What should be the contrast value in this case? Any ideas?
post #187 of 851 Old 03-25-2019, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Thanks for this summary. So a 21^3 cube (9261 pts) took ~6 hours and your next try will be a 17^3 cube with 4913 pts should take about 3 hours right? You are using the smaller profiling LUT to save time and to check whether you see any difference in the outcome, right?
It takes such time because except the delay before each patch read you have to use the black or gray frame insertion (stabilization) before each patch is displayed. (+ Pre-Roll add some time).

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration S/W: LightSpace ZRO / HCFR
S/W: ColourSpace INF, LightSpace XTP, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, ChromaPure
post #188 of 851 Old 03-25-2019, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stama View Post
Wow, so the brightness and contrast controls are not affecting the 1D LUT? That's a strange choice made by LG.
This is not what I posted, read again, if you do that specific procedure, restoring back to 85 the contrast after the end of calibration, it will harm your results, (becasue 85 is the bypass setting)

For 0-255, its working with LightSpace only (CalMAN don't have that option). Contrast should be at 85.

post #189 of 851 Old 03-25-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
As Brightness/Contrast are positioned before 3D/1D LUT's, you don't want any change of these controls to be performed to your input signal while you will taking measurements for LUT's generation.
Ok, so what have I misunderstood in this statement? It says "Brightness/Contrast are positioned before 3D/1D LUT's". Did you mean something else?
post #190 of 851 Old 03-25-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Illusion View Post
Hi Miki,
One way would be to use Excel, or similar, to merge the selected data into a third file.
All .bcs files are just XLM, so easily human readable.

An alternative, is again to use the LUT Image, and in Photoshop lay one image over the other, and then key out the different range from one LUT to the other.

Steve
Steve, I have a question that may require this same merging of profile data in Excel.

I understand that it's recommended to run 21^3 or 17^3 profile LUTS in the interests of time (no way to read a 33^3 LUT with 36,000 points ).

But I'm interested to know if there is any easy way to take readpoints at full 33^3 density near-black (granularity of 3% IRE) at least for the first 5 points near black (0-15%) and then merge those finer-granularity readpoints into a less-dense cube, say a 17^3 cube reading at every 5.9% IRE beyond 15% IRE.

Another way of thinking about what i'd like to do is to take a full 33^3 profile cube reading only one point for every 4 after the first 5 sets of near-black measurements (which I suppose could total to as many as 5445 points) meaning 5445 points at 3% IRE near black (up to 15% IRE) and then a lower-density cube for the remaining 85% containing 14^3 points measured at 6% (2744 points).

This could be through merging of 2 different density and different-sized profile LUTs using Excel or it could be through a custom patchset, but I'm interested in ways I can use a higher-density of readpoints at lower IRE levels near-black (15% and lower) combined with a lower density of readpoints beyond 15% IRE.

Any thoughts as to how I can take maximal advantage of LGs internal 3D LUT, especially in the near-black region (which supoorts 3% IRE granularity being 33^3) appreciated.
post #191 of 851 Old 03-25-2019, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 1294
No, that is not possible.
And regardless, unless you have a very accurate probe, that can read low-light patches very, very accurately, the results would be worse, as all you would have is a lot more bad data points.

Steve
sillysally likes this.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #192 of 851 Old 03-25-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
No, that is not possible.
And regardless, unless you have a very accurate probe, that can read low-light patches very, very accurately, the results would be worse, as all you would have is a lot more bad data points.

Steve
OK, thanks. So a profile LUT essentially needs to be uniform-density.

Here is an RGB graph of near-black measurements taken off of my 65C6 with an i1DisplayPro with HCFR (below):

Are you saying these measurements are meaningless? I achieved this level of linearity and balance followng a great deal of effort screwing around with low-level controls on the C6 and when I was done, the measurements came out like this consistently (after temperature stabilization) and the image also looked better to my eyes.

Perhaps the 2019 WOLEDs have improved near-black linearity so much that this level of effort is no longer needed, but until that's confirmed, my experience is that the greatest bang-for-the-buck in terms of WOLED calibration comes from focusing attention on near black

LG provides 3D LUT control points with 3% IRE resolution and I'm interested in any thoughts you have as to how to best to capitalize on that control granularity in the <15% IRE near-blsck range.

Is it possible to generate a 17^3 profile, manually interpolate it to a 33^3 profile, then take some smaller profiles at 3% resolution to manually replace the relevant interpolated points?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	2544238  
post #193 of 851 Old 03-25-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I used contrast 100 to have more headroom for the LUT. When you do the verification later you set back to 85.

With LS you don't have this limitation. I had early access to the template but I'm sure it will be released soon.
BlackJoker, seems as though you are truly on the forefront here as far as being an owner/enthusiast (no a pro) using LS to calibrate LG internal LUTs.

I'm interested in the near-black accuracy of your 3D LUT calibration and wonder if you could measure 1% - 5% Near Black following your next calibration.

I measured the attached using HCFR. Hopefully Calman supports a similar measurement (1%-5% Near Black displayed in RGB).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	2544248  
post #194 of 851 Old 03-25-2019, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 1294
Quote:
OK, thanks. So a profile LUT essentially needs to be uniform-density.

Here is an RGB graph of near-black measurements taken off of my 65C6 with an i1DisplayPro with HCFR (below):

Are you saying these measurements are meaningless? I achieved this level of linearity and balance followng a great deal of effort screwing around with low-level controls on the C6 and when I was done, the measurements came out like this consistently (after temperature stabilization) and the image also looked better to my eyes.

Perhaps the 2019 WOLEDs have improved near-black linearity so much that this level of effort is no longer needed, but until that's confirmed, my experience is that the greatest bang-for-the-buck in terms of WOLED calibration comes from focusing attention on near black

LG provides 3D LUT control points with 3% IRE resolution and I'm interested in any thoughts you have as to how to best to capitalize on that control granularity in the <15% IRE near-blsck range.

Is it possible to generate a 17^3 profile, manually interpolate it to a 33^3 profile, then take some smaller profiles at 3% resolution to manually replace the relevant interpolated points?
No, the profile doesn't need to be a uniform density.
But the LUT generated will be.
That will kill processing times when you have a lot of points in a given area of the profile.

Your graph is just the grey scale, so has maximum RGB levels for the given patch.
The same patches that are, say, mainly blue will be a lot lower in brightness, so will not measure anywhere near as accurately.

For enhanced grey scale you can use the 'Augment' process with LightSpace.
That will enable the use of more grey scale point measurements,

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #195 of 851 Old 03-25-2019, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Steve. More questions below:

Quote:
I understand that the 33^3 3D LUT genetated for download into TV will be uniform density - is that what you are referring to?

If the 'profile' does not need to be uniform density, do you have a pointer to where I can understand how to generate a non-uniform profile?

Quote:
That will kill processing times when you have a lot of points in a given area of the profile.
Not cettain if you are referring to the 'processing time' assiciated with using the 3D LUT when processing video input or the processing time associated with genetating a 3D calibration LUT from a non-uniform/dense characterization profile...

[quote]
Your graph is just the grey scale, so has maximum RGB levels for the given patch.
The same patches that are, say, mainly blue will be a lot lower in brightness, so will not measure anywhere near as accurately.[quote]

Gotcha, so while an i1DisplayPo may be able to provide a useful measurement at 3%, 3%, 3%, it will be unable to measure 3%, 0%, 0% (for example). Since in the shadow-detail region I am interested in, it is primarily luminance I care about (rather than chrominance), I'm still interested in the best accuracy possible at 3% grey, even if measurements of 3% blue or 3% red or 3% green are meaningless. Is there a way to achieve that? (follow-on questions below).

Quote:

Steve
Yes, I've understood how the Agment process allows a 3D LUT to be refined. So it sounds like that is the process I want to use. Will Augment support, for example, generating a 33^3 LUT from a 17^3 profile amd the augmemting with a 5^3 LUT captured only over the darkest 15% IRE?

I'll poke around more on the LS website to try to learn more, but any pointers appreciated .

P.S. The i1DisplayPro colorimeter has three photosensors, each filtered to correspind to one primary: https://displaycalibrations.com/x-ri...ions_info.html

Doesn't that mean reading 3% Blue in the presence of no Red or Green light will be exactly the same as far as Blue sensitivity to reading 3% Blue as part of 3% Grey (with 3% Red and 3% Green light as well)?

Last edited by fafrd; 03-25-2019 at 04:09 PM.
post #196 of 851 Old 03-25-2019, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok, so what have I misunderstood in this statement? It says "Brightness/Contrast are positioned before 3D/1D LUT's". Did you mean something else?
I was talking for the patch generation, when you display patches what is happening.

post #197 of 851 Old 03-25-2019, 05:11 PM

I still don't understand. In your post, it also says this:

Quote:
Image processing chain seems to be: Input Signal -> Contrast/Brightness -> 3D LUT -> 1D LUT (gamma preset, white balance, CMS) -> OLED Light -> Display's Panel.
My take on your words is that the brightness and contrast controls cause some sort of transform to be performed before the LUTs. And that in order to be able to calibrate the LUTs, one has to configure that transform so that the input values which reach the 3D LUT are full range, since the LUTs are full range.

In other words, the brightness/contrast controls are not used to compute the 1D LUT values, they are configuring a transform in front of both LUTs.

I don't have any inside knowledge about the color pipeline internals in these TVs, this could very well be how it is.

Am I misunderstanding what you were saying?
post #198 of 851 Old 03-25-2019, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

@fafrd of course I can measure 6 Points near black but be aware because I'm using an id3 which is limited in this area. What I can say for sure is that it's definitely worth to measure a 21^3 Cube with the 2018 sets. My 17^3 has some more problems with the edge points of the color gamut especially with red and cyan.

With my eecolor I didn't had this issue so the internal LUT is definitely suffering of some kind of signal problems. Also the Aug data didn't heped to improve the results it makes it even worse so for now I can say to skip that I hope for feedback from other users as well later on.

I still need to do some more tests I think there's still some potential for tiny improvements. Like Ted already said you have to measure with contrast 100 to bypass the signal and switch later on back to 85 for verification but then the gamma is way off. So I will try a cube also with contrast at 85 from the beginning this is how I used it in the past with eecolor also.

Next week I get a review sample of the 2019 models and I will do my best to upload a Lightspace LUT into it as well Im pretty sure it is possible too.

Stay tuned.

post #199 of 851 Old 03-25-2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
@fafrd of course I can measure 6 Points near black but be aware because I'm using an id3 which is limited in this area.
Thanks. Those near-black measurements I posted were measured with an iD3 (i1DisplayPro).

Quote:
What I can say for sure is that it's definitely worth to measure a 21^3 Cube with the 2018 sets. My 17^3 has some more problems with the edge points of the color gamut especially with red and cyan.

With my eecolor I didn't had this issue so the internal LUT is definitely suffering of some kind of signal problems. Also the Aug data didn't heped to improve the results it makes it even worse so for now I can say to skip that I hope for feedback from other users as well later on.

I still need to do some more tests I think there's still some potential for tiny improvements. Like Ted already said you have to measure with contrast 100 to bypass the signal and switch later on back to 85 for verification but then the gamma is way off. So I will try a cube also with contrast at 85 from the beginning this is how I used it in the past with eecolor also.
Good luck!

Quote:
Next week I get a review sample of the 2019 models and I will do my best to upload a Lightspace LUT into it as well Im pretty sure it is possible too.

Stay tuned.
Double good luck (and I suspect you're probably right - word of the 'hack' didn't get out until long after the 2019 WOLED design was frozen...
post #200 of 851 Old 03-26-2019, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I still don't understand.
Contrast @ 85 and Brightness @ 50, you should have all the time when you will use internal LUT capabilities.

What I posted was a Contrast change during patch generation procedure.

post #201 of 851 Old 03-26-2019, 03:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Loney View Post
(My procedure I used to cal my E8)

LG OLED Calibration using LightSpace and CalMAN

Pre-Calibration

Using CalMAN:
Be sure to select the the Display Mode you wish to calibrate. Click the DDC button. Scroll to the 3D LUT Controls.
Press the Reset 3D LUT button!
(Do not ever use AutoCal as It will disable some of your tv controls!)
*see image1

Using LG service remote:
Disable auto screen dimming (ASBL)
In Start, pswrd: 0413 or 0000, 13-OLED, TPC=OFF

In LS Cal Tool Options:
These are your "goto" default settings (only for those who are using the X-Rite i1 Display Pro).

• Integration Time: 0.75
• AIO mode
• Extra Delay: 0.75
• Generic CMF (Raw XYZ in CalMAN)
• Intelligent Interpolation: 1 nit
• Stabilization: 0.75 sec with 28.28.28 custom color patch.
*see Image2

On the LG:
All TV processing off!

Set gamut wide, gamma 2.2, contrast 100, brightness 50, color 50. Use the LightSpace Calibration interface to display a 100% white patch, and use the LG 2 point High RGB sliders to fix RGB balance errors by reducing only values of RGB high sliders on tv, not all sliders, keep one slider at zero, and reduce bthe other two.

Use RGB High to fix RGB Balance, not to control luminance, you will adjust OLED light to get 100 nits (or whatever target you prefer).

Quick Profile:

Next step is to take a pre-calibration Quick Profile of Primary Only, to see that all is well. We want to verify that most of the primaries are outside of the Rec709 gamut, rgb separation is good, etc.

Pattern Gen:
Use 10% Windows with black background.

On the LG:
The gamma 2.2 setting is the TV bypass setting for the 3D LUT to work, nothing to do with what gamma you will ask from LightSpace to generate a correction, which mainly will be 2.4 gamma (the Rec709 selection)

Measure. Check results.

Display Characterization

Go to the Display Characterization window. To create a pre-roll file, select anisometric, 10 points and then click to export as color list, it will export a .cvs file. This need only be done the first time around.

While in the display characterization screen, go to Options and select this file as pre-roll, 1 sec, so LS will display these 1000 patches initially (without taking measurements) for panel to stabilize... and then it will start the profiling.

For profiling you will use 17 point cube, anisometric with drift 100.
*see Image3

Measure.

Check TV Contrast is still 100

I leave it to you to verify your measurements however you wish.

Convert Colour Space

Open the Covert Colour Space tool. In Source, select the Color Space (usually Rec709). In Destination, select your 17p measurement file. Leave Enable Drift Comp checked. Type in a name for this measurement. Select Peak Chroma. Create New. Close.

Export LG LUT FILE

Under File, select Export. Check LG (*.3dl). Enter the name of the file to create and the export to desired location.

Next, using a text editor, you will need to delete the 'space' at the end of the .3dl file header. It should be at the end of line 5. If not, you will recieve an error when trying to upload to LG. Save.

Upload .3DL File to LG OLED TV

From Calman, go back to the 3D LUT Controls menu and click the Load LUT File button. Find your .3dl file and enter.

Hi Rob

Did you also discovered strange gamma measurements after setting contrast back to 85 for the verification measurements?

I still like to know how it was possible for you to achieve a grayscale avg of 0.3

post #202 of 851 Old 03-26-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:

The same patches that are, say, mainly blue will be a lot lower in brightness, so will not measure anywhere near as accurately.

Steve
Read up on the 'Augment' process - sounds like it is essentially able to incorporate a higher-resolution 1D-LUT-like greyscale sweep within a lower-resolution profile, is that correct? Since it's mainly grey that matters for shadow detail and since avoiding unwanted tint is genetally far more important near-black than worrying too much about accuracy of any near-black tint, I think I understand how this will achieve what I was interested in...

So while an entire 33^3 3D LUT might be based on interpolation from a 21^3 profile, the embedded 1D-like greyscale points can also be based on greyscale profile points at a resolution of a full 3% (or even higher).

I guess with that increased target-gamma accuracy of greyscale points corresponding to matched triplets, the only need for the 1D-LUT is to increase the precision of gamma/EOTF from 3% (33 points) to full 10-bit resolution (1024 points), right?

Last edited by fafrd; 03-27-2019 at 12:04 PM.
post #203 of 851 Old 03-27-2019, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hi Fabio,

I looked your 3D LUT file and captured some 33-Point Cube pictures of your 3D LUT table, looking very smooth the ramps with LightSpace Cube Viewer, so picture should look good also, as you say:

1forsnow and BlackJoker like this.

post #204 of 851 Old 03-27-2019, 01:18 PM

@ConnecTEDDD I noticed in your word document you don't instruct the user to adjust the whitepoint using rgb values for high 2pt. Are you advising us to leave it native and the LUT do the rest?
post #205 of 851 Old 03-27-2019, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifak View Post
@ConnecTEDDD I noticed in your word document you don't instruct the user to adjust the whitepoint using rgb values for high 2pt. Are you advising us to leave it native and the LUT do the rest?
Hi, when you are using internal 1D LUT, the White Balance controls are disabled, so you can't change any value of 2-Point RGB Balance.

We will see after testing... if performing 1D LUT first and then 3D LUT vs. not doing 1D LUT but adjusting 100% White manual cal only with RGB-High and then 3D LUT....which of those methods produce better post-verification results with numbers but with real-content also.

post #206 of 851 Old 03-27-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi, when you are using internal 1D LUT, the White Balance controls are disabled, so you can't change any value of 2-Point RGB Balance.

We will see after testing... if performing 1D LUT first and then 3D LUT vs. not doing 1D LUT but adjusting 100% White manual cal only with RGB-High and then 3D LUT....which of those methods produce better post-verification results with numbers but with real-content also.
Silly me, I didn't think about how it would disable some controls. Thanks for the info and the great guide.
post #207 of 851 Old 04-04-2019, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Finally i had the chance to tested DCC LG template in combination with the latest Lightspace beta release and could achieve stunning results.

LG 65C8:
- 04.10.20 firmware (04.10.30 No, Thanks )
- SM ASBL disabled
- OLED Light 27 ~ 117 nits => 100 nits after calibration
- Brightness 50
- Contrast 85

Setup:
- i1D3 Rev.A02
- MadTPG ( LS Patchset 0-255, GPU 0-255, MadVR 16-235, TV 16-235 "Low" )
- Lightspace 10.0.0.2933
- DCC with LG template
- 1DLUT: 46-Point Grayscale CSV + Grey only large for augmented data
- 3DLUT: 17^3 FinSeq CSV + Grey only large for augmented data
(I've applied LS sub black filter on all generated luts)

LS Options:

Display Drifting:

Post Calibration:

Thanks for everyone involved especialy Ted for his guidance.

Envoyé de mon SM-G925F en utilisant Tapatalk
dlj11 and ConnecTEDDD like this.

LG OLED65C8 / Denon AVR-X3200W / KEF E305+ONKYO SKH-410 / Synology DS2415+ / Logitech Harmony Companion / ZOTAC MAGNUS EN1060K (Kodi DSPlayer x64) / LightSpace HTL, DisplayCal, HCFR, Calman Home for LG / i1Display PRO OEM Rev.B, i1PRO2 OEM Rev.E

Last edited by sat4all; 04-04-2019 at 04:24 PM.
post #208 of 851 Old 04-04-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat4all View Post
Finally i had the chance to tested DCC LG template in combination with the latest Lightspace beta release and could achieve stunning results.

LG 65C8:
- 04.10.20 firmware (04.10.30 No, Thanks )
- SM ASBL disabled
- OLED Light 27 ~ 117 nits => 100 nits after calibration
- Brightness 50
- Contrast 85

Setup:
- i1D3 Rev.A02
- MadTPG ( LS Patchset 0-255, GPU 0-255, MadVR 16-235, TV 16-235 "Low" )
- Lightspace 10.0.0.2933
- DCC with LG template
(I've applied LS pass black filter on all generated luts)

LS Options:

Display Drifting:

Post Calibration:

Thanks for every one involved especialy Ted for his guidance.

Wow, impressive.

Can you clarify that you used Calman only for verification (and used LS to download the 1D and 3D LUTs)?

Also, could you explai quickly what role MadTPG and MadVR played in the setup? Was that used purely to generate your patches for profiling from LS?
post #209 of 851 Old 04-04-2019, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Wow, impressive.

Can you clarify that you used Calman only for verification (and used LS to download the 1D and 3D LUTs)?

Also, could you explai quickly what role MadTPG and MadVR played in the setup? Was that used purely to generate your patches for profiling from LS?
Yes, Calman only for verification, LS for measurements + luts generation and DCC with LG template to upload luts to the tv.

LG OLED65C8 / Denon AVR-X3200W / KEF E305+ONKYO SKH-410 / Synology DS2415+ / Logitech Harmony Companion / ZOTAC MAGNUS EN1060K (Kodi DSPlayer x64) / LightSpace HTL, DisplayCal, HCFR, Calman Home for LG / i1Display PRO OEM Rev.B, i1PRO2 OEM Rev.E
post #210 of 851 Old 04-04-2019, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat4all View Post
- Lightspace 10.0.0.2933
- DCC with LG template
(I've applied LS pass black filter on all generated luts)

Thanks for every one involved especially Ted for his guidance.
There is a new videoscale filter which has been added for LG's 2018 1D/3D LUT, to the LightSpace Beta.

Using that filter, you can use 16-235 patch generation with CR85....and videoscale each 1D and 3D LUT's with that new filter before exporting to DeviceControl LG format.

That filter called 'VideoScale Sub Black', which re-scales the 100% White from 255, to 235. Its for LG only that filter, because internal LG LUT tables are 0-255 (0-1023).

The correct TV setting (as internally designed) is to have CR100 when you will send 16-235 patterns (because internal LUT is 0-1023 with the video black '64' mapped to '0' of the LUT) so when you have CR100... the 940 expanded to 1023.

With the new filter, the 940 will stay to 940 and from 940 until 1023 it will be interpolated, when you will measure with 16-235 patterns with CR85 setting.

So there available 3 ways to calibrate these displays for video levels via LightSpace and LG Template for DeviceControl:

1) 16-235 patch generation with CR100 (no filter required) HDMI Black 'Low'

2) 16-235 patch generation with CR85 (videoblack sub black filter required) with HDMI Black 'Low'

3) 16-255 patch generation with CR85 (no filter required) HDMI Black 'Low'

I will write the documentation and post instructions for everything, for LG Template to start being available...
sat4all likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page