How do I calibrate my Epson HC 5040 UB? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ken Stanger

post #1 of 5 Old 01-24-2019, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 61
How do I calibrate my Epson HC 5040 UB?

I just got an Epson HC 5040 UB projector. Can someone walk me through what adjustments I need to make to calibrate? I adjusted the convergence a little, but I'm not sure I did it properly. Also just set display mode to Bright Cinema and reduced color saturation to 45, everything else still at 50. 4K Enhancement set to 4. There's probably a lot I can do to improve the picture.

Also, any tips on how to obtain a sharp focus? I kind of wish the focus had a numerical value that you can adjust in increments. I don't like how the focus/zoom/shift seem to be "loose" in the sense that you adjust one way, then try to tweak it and go back the other way, and you have to hit the button a handful of times before it seems to do anything. Any tips on making fine adjustments to the lens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-30-2019, 12:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked: 3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPixel View Post
I just got an Epson HC 5040 UB projector. Can someone walk me through what adjustments I need to make to calibrate? I adjusted the convergence a little, but I'm not sure I did it properly. Also just set display mode to Bright Cinema and reduced color saturation to 45, everything else still at 50. 4K Enhancement set to 4. There's probably a lot I can do to improve the picture.

Also, any tips on how to obtain a sharp focus? I kind of wish the focus had a numerical value that you can adjust in increments. I don't like how the focus/zoom/shift seem to be "loose" in the sense that you adjust one way, then try to tweak it and go back the other way, and you have to hit the button a handful of times before it seems to do anything. Any tips on making fine adjustments to the lens?
Hi, focus, geometry and then contrast/brightness/color clipping/sharpness check, can be performed by judging visually to find the correct setting of your setup.

For further adjustments (peak output, RGB balance, gamma, color gamut calibration) you will need a colorimeter (X-Rite i1Display PRO is a great choice) + a tripod + a free calibration software (HCFR or LightSpace DPS) and patterns for SDR.

You can see info about calibration steps/guides/helpful links there: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post56582378

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #3 of 5 Old 01-30-2019, 01:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1685 Post(s)
Liked: 2067
I found the Disney WOW calibration disk pretty helpful.....not only in adjusting, but in understanding.

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-05-2019, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked: 3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
I found the Disney WOW calibration disk pretty helpful.....not only in adjusting, but in understanding.
Yes, it has nice videos for understanding basic stuff, but when its coming to measurements with instrument/calibration software, it doesn't have any pattern for measurements, to perform a complete calibration.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #5 of 5 Old 05-10-2019, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Yesterday Doug Weil came to the house and calibrated my 5040UB. What a difference. I tried doing it myselft but never quite seemed to get it right or it just didn't look like I thought it would. He was super nice and answered all my questions. He would walk me through what he was about to do and then tell me why and what to look for on the software he was using. CalMan is what he was using and it was impressive looking and had features I wish I had on Chroma3. There were a couple of settings on the projector and my Panny 900 that he made that I didn't think of when I was trying to calibrate and It really was a slap to the forehead adjustment. Anyway, I highly recommend having Doug calibrate your projector as he's been doing it for over 17 years and really knows his stuff. I'm going to cut and paste this to other groups so don't get upset if you see it again somewhere else.
Gregg Loewen likes this.

Denon X4400H / Emotiva Audio BasX A-500 / Panasonic UB900 4K Player
Silver Ticket STR-235125 2:35 125" screen / Epson 5040UB
(2)Paradigm Monitor 9 v6 / (2)Paradigm CC 390 / (4)Paradigm Mini Monitor 7
(2)HSU VTF-15H / (1)HSU VTF3-MK3 / (4)Polk Audio V60 Atmos Speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page